• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternate Routes Out Of Lisbon ?

jimb01930

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from Pamplona (Sept - Oct 2012)
Caminho Portugal from Lisbon (Aug-Sept 2013)
European Peace Walk - Vienna, AU to Trieste, IT (2014)
Via Fracigena - Sienna to Rome (2015)
Does anyone know about this route? http://www.agencia.ecclesia.pt/cgi-bin/noticia.pl?id=95363 Thanks to Mike for bringing it to my attention! It appears to be an alternate route for Fatima hikers from Lisbon. I have heard it has more accommodations along the way. That may make for shorter days than the Brierley guide recommended route. Is there a similar route to Fatima from the north that one may take to rejoin caminho? If not bus / train recommendations?

Looks like a heat wave which may last two weeks will hit Lisbon the same day we do, August 22. I am trying to come up with alternatives to 20 mile days in 100 f heat.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know this route, Jim, but based on the article it's not along the ocean for a lot of the way. Estoril to the big beach at Guincho is a few kms, from there it goes inward to Sintra, then up to Mafra, Obidos and Alcobaca. Those places are all tourist destinations so there will be accommodation (not sure about Mafra, but the rest for sure).

What I would wonder about is whether its all on roads, though. If so, I don't think there's any advantage over the Caminho. If you do decide to stick to caminho through Alverca and Alhandra, Azambuja, etc, you can easily make use of the train line to jump up or back. That could help you if you're in a pinch with the heat. The commuter line runs as far as Azambuja. There is no shade at all between Lisbon and Azambuja, so it will be a killer if the temps are as high as predicted. I hope you work this out. Bom caminho, Laurie

With a little googling, I found some more information on this route:

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=aoqcngtbjihdbxvp (I think this is the gps version) -- something I read recommended bringing the "track" (gps, I assume) because the route isn't marked in a couple of places near the monuments in Mafra and Alcobaca.

It looks like a very nice route, and I'm pretty sure that from Fatima you can continue north to rejoin the caminho south of Coimbra -- actually Mike may have done that if I remember correctly. Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only problems with that route are the marks and the turn around that you will make. Instead of going directly north, you are going west, then north. If you take a GPS has Laurie said, it would be great.

Other problem that you may face it's the distances. From what I've seen from the route, you will stand isolated in small villages that don't have many means of transportation. For example, you don't have the train line to jump up until a certain place, and usually the bus connections are very complicated.

It's a great trail, but if you don't want to walk long distances in tarmac, I would not advise you to do it.

Best Regards
Diogo

The route does go west on the GPS from Cacais but I think that walkers may just head north through the national park to Sintra, there was an already established route as possibly part of the E9 linking the locations.

The length of the route i keep seeing (without any evidence to back it) is 140km from Estoril to Fatima that is similar for Lisbon to Tomar which is about 150 km and they roughly are on the same latitude. The problem for Fatima is afterwards its not great place to reconnect with the Central Caminho. The waymarked route i took followed the road, next time i will just plan my own route( possibly going through Leiria and Pombal) and maybe reconnecting at Condeixa Nova or Cernache.

For the places it says it is not waymarked that happens elsewhere, you have an historic center and the local authority are not keen on the idea of graffiti being sprayed on walls, Oviedo will not allow the yellow arrows in its centre.

Good luck and I hope the weather breaks for you.

Mike

Thanks! Looks like the weather forecast is moderating somewhat and the high temperatures of each day returning towards averages as the week goes on. We should arrive Lisbon on Friday and may spend a few days kicking around the city letting the worse of the heat pass. From the charts I am seeing it appears that the high temperatures of each day are not reached until late afternoon / early evening so we may be able to get some distance in if we get going early enough each day.

At this point I am leaning towards following the Brierley guide with the option of hopping a train if needed. I do not see the value of risking being tired, overheated, and isolated late in the day in unknown area.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think that taking the Caminho from Lisbon is a very sensible idea, exactly because of the fact that you'll have the commuter trains close by if you need them.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the CSJ online guides recently, but there are two, one for Lisbon-Porto and one for Porto-Santiago. I did the first one, and realize that it's about time for an update, so if anyone out there walks from Lisbon and wants to help me with suggestions and additions, that would be great.

http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

That's great news about the temps falling a bit. If you do stay in Lisbon for a few days, I put together a walking tour for some friends a while back, and I think it gives you a good introduction to the city. And lets you do what you want to do -- walk! http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-walking-tour-of-lisbon.7257/

Bom caminho, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back