• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altra Provision 6

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019. SJPdP 14 April 2022 to Finisterre
I received an email announcing a new shoe, the Provision 6. Does anyone know if this is a potential alternative to the Lone Peak trail runner family? There is very little info on Altra’s website.

thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It's a road running shoe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's a road running shoe
Thank you

They are designed as a road running shoe. The tread is meant for sidewalks and roads rather than for trail walking, but that does not mean that they cannot be used for Camino.
Dave, I have been following this group for a while and you seem to be a gear maven. In your experience, as I am testing lone peak 5 wides, standards and all weather lows, as well as the Altra Olympus and Timps. Is it worth adding another shoe to the trall test if so you think that a road shoe wouldn’t be as useful as the best of the others?

Best regards, Chris

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In September, I walked the Caminho Português in the Altra Paradigm 5s—straight out of the box. I got only minor blisters on two toes, which I drained and then bandaged for two or three days. No big.

I’ve been hiking/backpacking in Altras for at least seven years. I’ve gone through several versions of the Lone Peak, Olympus, and Timp on trails in the Bay Area and the Sierra. Before Altras, I’d regularly lose toenails, get blisters, etc. They truly changed my experience for the better.

I chose the Paradigm 5 for the Caminho; the extra cushion and less aggressive traction made sense for roads and cobblestones. When the 6s came out, I tried both the Paradigm and Provision—and opted for the Provision for my next Camino (which I’d be walking now, if not for omicron). The models differ slightly in the amount of cushion and stability. I think it’s a personal preference. Order both, walk around your house, and send one pair back. :)

Note: These shoes don’t need “breaking in,” at least for me. HOWEVER, if you are new to Altras and aren’t used to zero drop shoes, be sure to put some miles on them before taking them on a long trail.

I’d also recommend packing a small container of Trail Toes, just in case you start to get a hot spot.

Not sure I’ve answered your question, but hope this helps in some way.

O K I have been using MERRELS shoes for a number of years so whats wrong with them

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Dave, I have been following this group for a while and you seem to be a gear maven. In your experience, as I am testing lone peak 5 wides, standards and all weather lows, as well as the Altra Olympus and Timps. Is it worth adding another shoe to the trall test if so you think that a road shoe wouldn’t be as useful as the best of the others?

Best regards, Chris
Hi Chris. The answer to your question is 'it depends'. Altra uses a 'zero drop' philosophy when designing and building shoes. Those who find that the concept works well for them in performance, may be unwilling to give them up. That also works in reverse. . . many folks hear good things about Altras and try them, even giving their lower legs and ligaments time to adjust, but they can not adjust to them and try something else.

As to the quality of the shoe itself, I do not see Altra as having any significant issues with quality or quality control. Jill posted her insights about Altra shoes, and I trust her evaluation of personal hands on use of Altras and because she is someone who has experience in the outdoor industry.

if you find an Altra shoe that fits and feels good, then I would not spend a lot of time considering other brands, If there is some weakness or issue or feature that makes the Altra model you are considering just not feel right, then there are other brands and models that can be suggested.

Most people slip into a 'grass is greener' mode when they hear others share enthusiasms about their shoes. If your chosen shoe is comfortable when walking under load, and shares similar features, usability and function of the other shoe brands, then you already have a winner.

Given that you have no complaints with the Altra, I would look at other models or brands only if there are comparative differences which better suit your needs like a significantly lighter shoe. Or smoething better suited for a different climates or terrain, like mountaineering, or for trudging to the North pole to find Santa and demand an exchange for leaving you a poncho instead of a rain jacket (or vice versa).

Hi Chris. The answer to your question is 'it depends'. Altra uses a 'zero drop' philosophy when designing and building shoes. Those who find that the concept works well for them in performance, may be unwilling to give them up. That also works in reverse. . . many folks hear good things about Altras and try them, even giving their lower legs and ligaments time to adjust, but they can not adjust to them and try something else.

As to the quality of the shoe itself, I do not see Altra as having any significant issues with quality or quality control. Jill posted her insights about Altra shoes, and I trust her evaluation of personal hands on use of Altras and because she is someone who has experience in the outdoor industry.

if you find an Altra shoe that fits and feels good, then I would not spend a lot of time considering other brands, If there is some weakness or issue or feature that makes the Altra model you are considering just not feel right, then there are other brands and models that can be suggested.

Most people slip into a 'grass is greener' mode when they hear others share enthusiasms about their shoes. If your chosen shoe is comfortable when walking under load, and shares similar features, usability and function of the other shoe brands, then you already have a winner.

Given that you have no complaints with the Altra, I would look at other models or brands only if there are comparative differences which better suit your needs like a significantly lighter shoe. Or smoething better suited for a different climates or terrain, like mountaineering, or for trudging to the North pole to find Santa and demand an exchange for leaving you a poncho instead of a rain jacket (or vice versa).
Thanks for your well-balanced advice

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In September, I walked the Caminho Português in the Altra Paradigm 5s—straight out of the box. I got only minor blisters on two toes, which I drained and then bandaged for two or three days. No big.

I’ve been hiking/backpacking in Altras for at least seven years. I’ve gone through several versions of the Lone Peak, Olympus, and Timp on trails in the Bay Area and the Sierra. Before Altras, I’d regularly lose toenails, get blisters, etc. They truly changed my experience for the better.

I chose the Paradigm 5 for the Caminho; the extra cushion and less aggressive traction made sense for roads and cobblestones. When the 6s came out, I tried both the Paradigm and Provision—and opted for the Provision for my next Camino (which I’d be walking now, if not for omicron). The models differ slightly in the amount of cushion and stability. I think it’s a personal preference. Order both, walk around your house, and send one pair back. :)

Note: These shoes don’t need “breaking in,” at least for me. HOWEVER, if you are new to Altras and aren’t used to zero drop shoes, be sure to put some miles on them before taking them on a long trail.

I’d also recommend packing a small container of Trail Toes, just in case you start to get a hot spot.

Not sure I’ve answered your question, but hope this helps in some way.
Jill, thank you for your well considered and comprehensive response.

I am very familiar with Altras, their spacious toe box and zero drop. I was fortunate enough to discover Lone Peaks while investigating my 2019 Camino and have stuck with them because i didn’t get a blister whilst all my pilgrim family suffered dreadfully.

I hadnt heard of the Provision shoe so I will now check it out. Altras are not a hit in the UK so it’s quite an effort to import the less common styles.

thanks again for your insights. I hope you manage to get to Spain next year. I am provisionally booked for mid-April. Fingers crossed!

Buen Camino. Chris

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.