• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Topo Wearers!

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino FrancƩs July 2024
Hello šŸ‘‹!

Iā€™ve decided on Topo Ultraventure 3ā€™s for my Camino Frances this July & August. They feel great! I decided on them for the wide toe box with drop, and will pair them with my trusty wrightsocks. I struggle with foot swelling and being prone to blisters during summer hiking, so hoping this will be the magic combo for my Camino!

Iā€™m wondering, for those of you who have worn Topos on the Camino, how they worked for you? And did you size up 1/2 or one full size (if at all)?

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I really love my Topo Ultraventure 3s for my local hikes. I was torn on what to bring on a recent short Camino (Vasco) and ended up going with my Hoka Challengers because they are waterproof and rain was forecast everyday. I regretted it after the first day and will go with Topos going forward. Topos are just more comfortable and I have hiked up to 15 miles a day with them.

I think you're making a great choice!

I really love my Topo Ultraventure 3s for my local hikes. I was torn on what to bring on a recent short Camino (Vasco) and ended up going with my Hoka Challengers because they are waterproof and rain was forecast everyday. I regretted it after the first day and will go with Topos going forward. Topos are just more comfortable and I have hiked up to 15 miles a day with them.

I think you're making a great choice!
Thanks for sharing your experience, I sincerely appreciate it. Iā€™m so glad to hear that your Topos worked well for you! Itā€™s encouraging to hear. I was pretty committed to my Hoka Speedgoats until last summer when I ended up with some hefty pinch blisters, likely because they are too narrow for me. When I tried the Topos on, I couldnā€™t believe the difference in the toe box. They feel like walking barefoot, but with lots of cushion.

How do you find the grip/traction on the Topos? The tread seems much less aggressive than the Speedgoats šŸ¤”

Thanks for sharing your experience, I sincerely appreciate it. Iā€™m so glad to hear that your Topos worked well for you! Itā€™s encouraging to hear. I was pretty committed to my Hoka Speedgoats until last summer when I ended up with some hefty pinch blisters, likely because they are too narrow for me. When I tried the Topos on, I couldnā€™t believe the difference in the toe box. They feel like walking barefoot, but with lots of cushion.

How do you find the grip/traction on the Topos? The tread seems much less aggressive than the Speedgoats šŸ¤”
No slip issues for me. Not as aggressive as the Speedboat but plenty of grip for a summer Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wore Ultraventure 2's my 2022 camino. I went 1/2 size up which worked out great.

Hello šŸ‘‹!

Iā€™ve decided on Topo Ultraventure 3ā€™s for my Camino Frances this July & August. They feel great! I decided on them for the wide toe box with drop, and will pair them with my trusty wrightsocks. I struggle with foot swelling and being prone to blisters during summer hiking, so hoping this will be the magic combo for my Camino!

Iā€™m wondering, for those of you who have worn Topos on the Camino, how they worked for you? And did you size up 1/2 or one full size (if at all)?

Thanks!
Hi,, i love Topo shoes,,, i go bigger and depending on the model will usually use heel lock lacing!
Have used different models on my last 5 Caminos,, have a new model for my next,,Camino number 9 ,,
the Pursuit,, i like zero drop!
And the Vibram Megagrip soles are fantastic,,, wet and dry!!
Enjoy!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
I was well into Altra Lone Peak 6ā€™s until I discovered Topo. I was looking for a water resistant alternative for mega wet days like I experienced on the Camino Portuguese last March and Altra have nothing really to offer in that department. I was recommended to look at Topo and found their Trailventure WP 2ā€¦..waterproof, comfortable, wide toe box and lightā€¦..perfect! Based on that success, I have just bought a pair of the brand new Topo Traverse (just launched in Canada) for every day on the trail and they are terrificā€¦..light, robust, breathable, quick dry, wide toe box and Vibram sole (for those Portuguese cobble stones). I am so thrilled with them, I purchased a second pair straight away.

Hello šŸ‘‹!

Thanks!
I too am a Topo convert. I switched from Altra most recently. For my next adventure I have purchased the Traverse. I have not had to size up but I generally wear my shoes "roomy". I have plenty of length to descend without touching the front. You won't be disappointed.

I did my first walk in Hokas, meaning the first two days of the walk in Hokas, and then switched into sandals because the Hokas did not have enough room for my expanding feet. My second walk I did in Topos and definitely prefer the wider toe box; it made a substantial difference. I'm considering trying On shoes* for the next one, only because I did miss the additional cushioning that I got from the Hokas. But, as between Hokas and Topos, definitely the Topos. Size-wise, I am between a 6-1/2 and 7, and I went with the 7 and it was plenty of room.

*Ons look like they have a toe box wider than Hokas but not quite as expansive as Topos, and a good deal of cushioning.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I too use ultraventures (most recently on a CP--See picture with orange Ultraventures in Plaza de Obradoiro). I ignore the little size measuring device at the shoestore. I think it measures me at 10.5. I wear 13s, and they are great.

I pair them with injinji toe socks to avoid blisters from toes rubbing together. Wright socks (really a double sock) would be too hot for me on a summer camino. The real key to avoiding blisters in the summer is to start very early, cool off your feet in fountains at every opportunity, and change out socks frequently (to fight moisture build-up).

Buen Camino.

Santiago 2023.jpg

Hello šŸ‘‹!

Thanks!
I have walked 3 caminos. I just walked the Norte in September in Topo ultraventure. My favorite shoes! The Norte has a lot of asphalt. The tread held up great. My foot measures 6.5. I wore a 7.5 and they were perfect. My new go to Camino shoe!

Hello šŸ‘‹!

Thanks!
Since you have plenty of time, purchase a pair of inexpensive shoes. But one size too big. They will feel and look like clown shoes. When you walk with them they will feel like they are going to slip off, but they don't. What do you think after a few days?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-

I walk caminos and hike in Topos and love them. Iā€™ve had several different models of low and zero drop trail runners and also use boots occasionally. I havenā€™t had any problems with grip in varying terrains and mine have also tried quickly. Going up a half size works best for me. I mostly use smartwool targeted cushion and Silverlight socks. With these, a full size is too much. Iā€™m looking forward to the San Salvador and Primitivo in my new pair in April. Buen Camino!

I've walked several caminos in my topos and I love them. I go up half a size and usually wear thinner smart wool socks, sometimes paired with injinji's, depending on the weather. I use heel lock lacing and I also lace for a high instep, which has worked really well for me. Photo of high instep lacing below. Buen Camino!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-15 at 10.26.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-15 at 10.26.36 AM.png
    306.1 KB · Views: 39
I was well into Altra Lone Peak 6ā€™s until I discovered Topo. I was looking for a water resistant alternative for mega wet days like I experienced on the Camino Portuguese last March and Altra have nothing really to offer in that department. I was recommended to look at Topo and found their Trailventure WP 2ā€¦..waterproof, comfortable, wide toe box and lightā€¦..perfect! Based on that success, I have just bought a pair of the brand new Topo Traverse (just launched in Canada) for every day on the trail and they are terrificā€¦..light, robust, breathable, quick dry, wide toe box and Vibram sole (for those Portuguese cobble stones). I am so thrilled with them, I purchased a second pair straight away.
How far have you walked in the Traverse? Have read about them, but theyā€™re very new so there are few reviews of them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wore Trailventure 2 WP on my first Camino in June/July 2023. They were fantastic. I donā€™t have much of a problem with foot swelling and wore my regular size with no issues.

For socks, I wore Injinji merino wool toe socks. I found them to be very comfortable and they dried quickly after washing.

After walking from IrĆŗn to Santiago on the Norte, my Topos were still in amazing shape and I have continued to hike in them after returning home. Will definitely wear Topos on my next Camino.

Hello šŸ‘‹!

Thanks!
I LOVE my Topos and have worn them on 2 Caminos. The first time I had some blister issues caused by insoles I bought on the camino. The second camino I wore toe socks and had no blisters and I also bought my shoes a half size bigger. And since I had extra room in my topos, I also put two full foot flat cushions under the insole for my neuromas. My feet felt great the entire camino! and not one little blister!

Hello šŸ‘‹!

Thanks!
I wore Topo Terraventures for Camino del Norte last spring in combination with Injinji Coolmax toe socks and Superfeet Trailblazer insoles. The result: No blisters -- other than a hotspot that was prevented from becoming a blister with Compeed. I sized up a half-size.

Since then, I bought more Topo shoes in my actual size; they seem like they offer plenty of room, although I haven't tested them on any hikes longer than 11 miles.

I tried the new Terraventure 4's and they seemed a bit wider and actually too wide. I'm currently wearing Topo MT-4s, which are slightly narrower than the Terraventures in a way that seems more suited to my feet.

A few people have mentioned this, but the Vibram soles gave me a lot of confidence in slippery situations. Never had a problem there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
Another Topo lover and wearer, 1/2 size larger than normal, wore with Injinji & Darn Tough medium socks. Shoes lasted the entire Frances and the bottoms look almost brand new! Also took a pair of Ooofos slides for evening and recovery from long day.

I just donā€™t feel the supposed width of the Topos. On the Frances I used Vasque boots. Last year for the Portuguese the Vasques were not availabe. I switched to Speed Goat 5s in wide. The toes were not as roomy as expected. They were worn out by the end. Heard about Topos and was excited they were touted as wider than Speed Goats. I ordered a pair of Ultradventure 2s and another of 3s. They did not seem any wider than Speed Goats. Kept the 2s because they were disconnected and returned the 3s. Ordered 1/2 size larger 3s but they were not comfortable. Wanted to try a wide model, but REI does not stock them. Have ordered a Traverse to see what they are like.

Topo Terradventures are sooo comfortable on a number of levels. They do have a tendency to fray after a while around the top where your foot goes in and out so look a bit scruffy, but then, youā€™ve worked hard! However they are my number 2 choice when walking. I cannot fault Teva hurricane xlt2. Their grip during the worst of conditions is faultless. You know you wonā€™t slip. Yes, your feet get wet but dry when, if, the sun comes out. They are so easy to clean. Blisters? What blisters? We all have our favouritesā€¦

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello šŸ‘‹!

Thanks!
I wore Topos on my Camino last fall. They worked well. I did go up 1 full size. I found that the ups and downs caused my feet to swell.

I just donā€™t feel the supposed width of the Topos. On the Frances I used Vasque boots. Last year for the Portuguese the Vasques were not availabe. I switched to Speed Goat 5s in wide. The toes were not as roomy as expected. They were worn out by the end. Heard about Topos and was excited they were touted as wider than Speed Goats. I ordered a pair of Ultradventure 2s and another of 3s. They did not seem any wider than Speed Goats. Kept the 2s because they were disconnected and returned the 3s. Ordered 1/2 size larger 3s but they were not comfortable. Wanted to try a wide model, but REI does not stock them. Have ordered a Traverse to see what they are like.
I didn't feel the Ultraventure were as roomy as the running shoes. As a result, I ordered both a 1/2 size and wide. The wide fit more like my regular Topo running shoe. Perfect combo for me.

Topo Terradventures are sooo comfortable on a number of levels. They do have a tendency to fray after a while around the top where your foot goes in and out so look a bit scruffy, but then, youā€™ve worked hard! However they are my number 2 choice when walking. I cannot fault Teva hurricane xlt2. Their grip during the worst of conditions is faultless. You know you wonā€™t slip. Yes, your feet get wet but dry when, if, the sun comes out. They are so easy to clean. Blisters? What blisters? We all have our favouritesā€¦
So pleased to hear about the good grip on the Teva hurricane xlt2 as I have just bought a pair to tackle the Del Norte.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Hi,, i love Topo shoes,,, i go bigger and depending on the model will usually use heel lock lacing!
Have used different models on my last 5 Caminos,, have a new model for my next,,Camino number 9 ,,
the Pursuit,, i like zero drop!
And the Vibram Megagrip soles are fantastic,,, wet and dry!!
Enjoy!
Thanks for this! Youā€™ve got some great Topo Camino experience and I am glad to hear such rave reviews. I always struggle with blisters in the summer, so Iā€™ve probably spent far too much time thinking about shoes lol! Itā€™s so helpful to hear from all of you šŸ™‚

I wore Ultraventure 2's my 2022 camino. I went 1/2 size up which worked out great.
Thanks billC. I tried 1/2 size up and though they felt great, I wasnā€™t sure theyā€™d be roomy enough once the foot swelling is factored in. So I returned them and went a full size up. Now they feel a little sloppy, but Iā€™m hoping they will fit better when the heat and swelling hit. Itā€™s a conundrum. Wonā€™t know if I made the right call till I can test them in the heat. No sign of that any time soon here in Ottawa, though! šŸ„¶

The Traverse look like a great shoe! Topos are not yet easy to find where I live, so it was really only a choice between the Ultraventure 3, the Terraventure, or the MTN 3. I would love to try the Traverse on to see how they feel!

I was well into Altra Lone Peak 6ā€™s until I discovered Topo. I was looking for a water resistant alternative for mega wet days like I experienced on the Camino Portuguese last March and Altra have nothing really to offer in that department. I was recommended to look at Topo and found their Trailventure WP 2ā€¦..waterproof, comfortable, wide toe box and lightā€¦..perfect! Based on that success, I have just bought a pair of the brand new Topo Traverse (just launched in Canada) for every day on the trail and they are terrificā€¦..light, robust, breathable, quick dry, wide toe box and Vibram sole (for those Portuguese cobble stones). I am so thrilled with them, I purchased a
I did my first walk in Hokas, meaning the first two days of the walk in Hokas, and then switched into sandals because the Hokas did not have enough room for my expanding feet. My second walk I did in Topos and definitely prefer the wider toe box; it made a substantial difference. I'm considering trying On shoes* for the next one, only because I did miss the additional cushioning that I got from the Hokas. But, as between Hokas and Topos, definitely the Topos. Size-wise, I am between a 6-1/2 and 7, and I went with the 7 and it was plenty of room.

*Ons look like they have a toe box wider than Hokas but not quite as expansive as Topos, and a good deal of cushioning.
Which Topo model did you wear, ShoshTrvls? Thanks for sharing your experience with the size, itā€™s very helpful!

I too use ultraventures (most recently on a CP--See picture with orange Ultraventures in Plaza de Obradoiro). I ignore the little size measuring device at the shoestore. I think it measures me at 10.5. I wear 13s, and they are great.

I pair them with injinji toe socks to avoid blisters from toes rubbing together. Wright socks (really a double sock) would be too hot for me on a summer camino. The real key to avoiding blisters in the summer is to start very early, cool off your feet in fountains at every opportunity, and change out socks frequently (to fight moisture build-up).

Buen Camino.

View attachment 164212
Thanks for this, Jo Jo. I do have some injinjis that I intend to bring. I have had good luck with my wrightsocks in hot summer hiking, but I see so many people comment on how effective the injinjis are. Theyā€™ll be in my pack, in case!

I have walked 3 caminos. I just walked the Norte in September in Topo ultraventure. My favorite shoes! The Norte has a lot of asphalt. The tread held up great. My foot measures 6.5. I wore a 7.5 and they were perfect. My new go to Camino shoe!
Thanks for this, Betheymae! Iā€™m glad to hear that going up a full size worked well (thatā€™s what I have done, too) and that the tread held up well. Was the weather hot during your September walk?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walk caminos and hike in Topos and love them. Iā€™ve had several different models of low and zero drop trail runners and also use boots occasionally. I havenā€™t had any problems with grip in varying terrains and mine have also tried quickly. Going up a half size works best for me. I mostly use smartwool targeted cushion and Silverlight socks. With these, a full size is too much. Iā€™m looking forward to the San Salvador and Primitivo in my new pair in April. Buen Camino!
Thanks, Puck1! Happy to hear positive comments re: grip.

Buen Camino to you!

I've walked several caminos in my topos and I love them. I go up half a size and usually wear thinner smart wool socks, sometimes paired with injinji's, depending on the weather. I use heel lock lacing and I also lace for a high instep, which has worked really well for me. Photo of high instep lacing below. Buen Camino!
All very helpful info, thanks CatPhillips! Buen Camino šŸ™‚

I LOVE my Topos and have worn them on 2 Caminos. The first time I had some blister issues caused by insoles I bought on the camino. The second camino I wore toe socks and had no blisters and I also bought my shoes a half size bigger. And since I had extra room in my topos, I also put two full foot flat cushions under the insole for my neuromas. My feet felt great the entire camino! and not one little blister!
Amazing! Youā€™ve found your magic combination! Which model of Topos did you wear?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wore Topo Terraventures for Camino del Norte last spring in combination with Injinji Coolmax toe socks and Superfeet Trailblazer insoles. The result: No blisters -- other than a hotspot that was prevented from becoming a blister with Compeed. I sized up a half-size.

Since then, I bought more Topo shoes in my actual size; they seem like they offer plenty of room, although I haven't tested them on any hikes longer than 11 miles.

I tried the new Terraventure 4's and they seemed a bit wider and actually too wide. I'm currently wearing Topo MT-4s, which are slightly narrower than the Terraventures in a way that seems more suited to my feet.

A few people have mentioned this, but the Vibram soles gave me a lot of confidence in slippery situations. Never had a problem there.
Iā€™m learned about Superfeet insoles through my Camino research. They seem very popular. I will have to try them out. Thanks šŸ™‚

Another Topo lover and wearer, 1/2 size larger than normal, wore with Injinji & Darn Tough medium socks. Shoes lasted the entire Frances and the bottoms look almost brand new! Also took a pair of Ooofos slides for evening and recovery from long day.
I love Darn Tough and wear them a lot on hikes at home and while travelling. They seem to last forever! I havenā€™t used them in the summer as I switch to my wrightsocks in the heat. But I will look for a summer weight Darn Tough to try out. Thanks!

Hope your Traverse work out well for you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It will be interesting to see how well the Topos wear over 800 kms! They do seem to be a bit more delicate than my Hokas, Merrells, Keens and Salomons.

Glad to hear that the Tevas are a great choice, too! šŸ‘šŸ»

Hello šŸ‘‹!

Thanks!
Hi! I normally wear a (ladies) size 10 1/2. My first pair of Mtn Racers were a menā€™s size 10. Unfortunately I wore them out in about six months. On Camino I wore the same thing, but in an astonishing menā€™s 10 1/2, with wool stockings and compression hose underneath. (I was sized into both pairs by the shoe fit people in a running store.) And fancy sports insoles, that I ended up layering the original Topos insoles back on top. My feet were comfortable! Good traction on slippery mud and pavement. My only gripe is that on me, these shoes only last about 500km and are expensive to replace.

Hello šŸ‘‹!

Thanks!
I have worn the Ultraventure 3 and Traverse for over a year for general hiking and preparing for the camino this year. I decided on the Traverse because it fit a little better, but I like the UV3 and it would be my second choice. For my foot, I went up a Ā½ size and have not had any issues with fit or black toe. I am also pairing them with the Wrightsock all merino Escape. This setup works exceptionally well for me.
Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wore the UV3 last September on the Camino. I loved them. Nice combination of Hoka cushioning and Alta toe box width. I found the UV 3 to be a bit soft and I would up with some callous on my heels, I would switch to the mtn. racer next time. As for grip...I felt like a goat coming down from both Alto de Perdon and the descent into Molinseca, no slipping at all.

Hello šŸ‘‹!

Thanks!
Half size larger. A whole size gives too much wiggle room & not enough stability when you need it on uphills & downhills. Iā€™m normally an 8-1/2, so I use a 9.

Hello šŸ‘‹!

Thanks!
I have worn Topos for both of my Caminos. Camino Frances in 2021 and del Norte/primitivo in 2023. I sized up a half size. I personally love the Ultraventures. Cushion and comfort are great. I'll wear them again on the Mozarabe in October. šŸ˜Š

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Iā€™ve been an avid Lone Peak wearer but donā€™t like the new models. Wish REI carried Topos in store so I could try them on but ready to order and see what works. Did you find you wore the same size in the Topos as the Lone Peaks?

Last edited:
I have done the Frances wearing ultraventures 3 in 2023 . Half size up was enought for me . I was wearing injinji socks(trail running series) , no blisters but i rarely get one tbh .

Iā€™ve been an avid Lone Peak wearer but donā€™t like the new models. Wish REI carried Topos in store so I could try them on but ready to order and see what works. Did you find you wore the same size in the Topos as the Lone Peaks?
Yes, for me it's been the same size for Altra Lone Peaks, Olympus 5s, and Topo Ultraventures. I size up a 1/2 size for Caminos compared to local hiking.

yep.....exactly the same size. I love them, they're the perfect combo of lightness, comfort (foot shaped wide toe box) and structure (Vibram sole)......Topo seem to have listened, learned and got everything right with this shoe. I even love the new water resistant and 'bobbly' surfaced insoles.......a real winner !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Wooz šŸ‘‹

I am a size 8.5, but for summer hiking I take Altra Olympus 5ā€™s in size 9 and Topo Ultraventure 3ā€™s also in size 9. They fit the same for me!

I ordered from the Topo website the ultraventure 3 in Wide and they are great. Yeah, REI claimed they didn't make a Wide version. Just 'cause they don't carry them doesn't mean they don't make em.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I haven't walked a lot of consecutive miles in them. The midwest weather hasn't allowed for that but for "regular" 25km walks they are good. I like the lugs on the sole and the three different foams in the heel.
Nor have Iā€¦..although I am wearing them a lot (likewise Newfoundland winter weather not conducive to outside hiking right now) and all indications suggest that they are going to be a real winner.

After reading posts here and looking at reviews on other sites I bought myself a pair of Topo Traverse a couple of weeks ago. So far I have worn them on an 8k walk in wet weather as well as around the home and in town, tried them with thick socks, thin socks, no socks and am about to dig out my rarely worn injinji toe socks for another trial. So far I am very impressed and they may be my Camino footwear later in the year.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
Hello šŸ‘‹!

Thanks!
Love my TOPOs! Here us a vid I just did featuring them!
Part 2 drops later today! Buen Camino!!!

Hello šŸ‘‹!

Thanks!
This book will certainly help you:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Love my TOPOs! Here us a vid I just did featuring them!
Part 2 drops later today! Buen Camino!!!
Loved your video! Thanks for sharing!

I did a first test run in muy Ultraventure 3s at work this week. Wore them with wrightsocks for 6.5 hours straight and felt great. Very cushioned, super grippy, comfortable and breathable. Iā€™m pretty happy with them so far! I ended up just going up half a size and that was the right call. My feet had lots of room and my heel lock lacing worked well, no slipping.

The countdown is really moving along, training is going well, we walk out of SJPDP on July 3 and I feel so relieved that I have finally found these shoes!! šŸ‘Ÿ šŸ¤— šŸ„³

Loved your video! Thanks for sharing!

I did a first test run in muy Ultraventure 3s at work this week. Wore them with wrightsocks for 6.5 hours straight and felt great. Very cushioned, super grippy, comfortable and breathable. Iā€™m pretty happy with them so far! I ended up just going up half a size and that was the right call. My feet had lots of room and my heel lock lacing worked well, no slipping.

The countdown is really moving along, training is going well, we walk out of SJPDP on July 3 and I feel so relieved that I have finally found these shoes!! šŸ‘Ÿ šŸ¤— šŸ„³
EPIC! And yes, TOPOs rock, I donā€™t think you will have any problemsā€¦but if you do, please let us know back here in the thread how you fared! Iā€™ll be on the Norte or Primitivo while u are there! Buen Camino Jonesy!

ShellToucher. It's me from over on the video comments.
RE: my new Topos. I did get the ladies MT Racer. They are black, so not a dumb color. :D The trim color is sort of a peachy mauve and fairly subtle and not dumb.
But you wanted to know what I thought.
Pros: cushy and less fatigue for my feet and ankles. I walked in a pretty good medium rain for about 40 mins and my feet didn't get wet at all. Interesting for a non-waterproof shoe.
Cons: Ouch my right achilles is getting trashed. No matter how I lace them the shoe rubs badly. My double layer Wright socks are keeping me from a blister, but the chafing is painful. And when I'm there in July I had hoped to wear my drymax running socks because they are best for hot weather for my feet. But they are single layer. :( So sadly, I'm not sure these are going on the Camino with me. Unless they magically break in, I don't know. I wish I had bought them from the company or REI so I could try another pair or the Ultraventure to see if it doesn't rub. But sadly my eagerness to get them, meant I ordered from Amazon.
I shot Topo an email for advice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
RE: my new Topos. I did get the ladies MT Racer. They are black, so not a dumb color. :D The trim color is sort of a peachy mauve and fairly subtle and not dumb.
Pros: cushy and less fatigue for my feet and ankles. I walked in a pretty good medium rain for about 40 mins and my feet didn't get wet at all. Interesting for a non-waterproof shoe.
Cons: Ouch my right achilles is getting trashed. No matter how I lace them the shoe rubs badly. My double layer Wright socks are keeping me from a blister, but the chafing is painful. And when I'm there in July I had hoped to wear my drymax running socks because they are best for hot weather for my feet. But they are single layer. :( So sadly, I'm not sure these are going on the Camino with me. Unless they magically break in, I don't know. I wish I had bought them from the company or REI so I could try another pair or the Ultraventure to see if it doesn't rub. But sadly my eagerness to get them, meant I ordered from Amazon.
Hmmm...that sucks! Is it giving you a blister thru your socks or do your socks not cover the back of your ankle? Post a photo here of your set up on your feet. I want to understand this better. My Tabios cover my ankle so it has never been an issue. But yes, isn't it amazing how well they repel rain?!?!

Hmmm...that sucks! Is it giving you a blister thru your socks or do your socks not cover the back of your ankle? Post a photo here of your set up on your feet. I want to understand this better. My Tabios cover my ankle so it has never been an issue. But yes, isn't it amazing how well they repel rain?!?!
No blister. Just super intense rubbing resulting in redness and pain.
Here are some pics. White sock is the drymax (single layer) and left is wright sock. I did pick up a wright running sock yesterday to see if I like it as well as my drymax. 1000004076.jpg1000004077.jpg1000004074.jpg

Attachments

• 1000004075.jpg
    1000004075.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
Get shoes properly fitted if you can. In my view the 1/2 to one size extra should only be used if you cannot get to a retailer where you can get your feet measured and you can test the fit and comfort. Here is the advice that I give on that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are they tied super tight? If so, Lock Laces may be a better, snug not tight, option.
I've messed around with different tightness. Tight at the front, tight at the ankle. I've tried the two different holes available at the ankle. I just don't know. Either my heels are drastically different or the shoes I got are wonky.
I've never tried Lock Laces. I will give them a shot.

I've messed around with different tightness. Tight at the front, tight at the ankle. I've tried the two different holes available at the ankle. I just don't know. Either my heels are drastically different or the shoes I got are wonky.
I've never tried Lock Laces. I will give them a shot.
I wouldnā€™t go so tight at the ankle, because it can restrict movement. Thereā€™s a happy medium for sure butā€¦the Lock Laces should help immensely! Keep me posted! (Feel free to reply with that on my channel too!)

You might consider visiting a recommended podiatrist in your area, too. They can be immensely helpful in diagnosing and treating foot conditions. I got orthotics that have worked very well for me.

You might consider visiting a recommended podiatrist in your area, too. They can be immensely helpful in diagnosing and treating foot conditions. I got orthotics that have worked very well for me.
Thank you. I have seen podiatrists (for two separate and years ago, past injuries) and do not require an orthotic.I don't believe this issue I am experiencing has something to do with my actual foot. Unless I have a weird achilles. ha ha!

Topo customer service provided this link to different ways of lacing. Which I think would be useful to anyone with any kind of sneaker, so I will share it here. I am trying the "heel slipping" technique. Wish me luck.

All I have to say about all of this is, I sure wish I had not been so impatient by ordering on Amazon to get quick Prime shipping and gone ahead and purchased from REI, because I would be returning these shoes. $175 down the drain. *cry* I wish I had an opportunity to try the ultraventure model or something else.

By the way, on Amazon for this shoe (the lady's Mtn Racer) there is another lady's review, having the exact same problems with the rubbing on the heels. For her it's both feet and much much worse (huge open blisters). Ouch! So it's not just me.

I recently attended the American Pilgrims on the Camino Gathering and a new friend raved about Topos. Iā€™m pretty happy with either Speedgoats or Nikes but also get my fair/ expected share of blisters. So with the recent REI member coupon plus some points, I ordered the MT-5 Topos. I have a boringly average sized foot, donā€™t care for zero drops and like some cushion but also like to feel the trail. I love these shoes! In all fairness, Iā€™ve only worn them in the house, going up and down stairs doing laundry, etc. When the snow melts a bit (we got 22 inches in the past couple of days), Iā€™ll take them outside. But I may be dumping the Speedgoats on my spring Camino and joining the Topo club. https://www.rei.com/product/231142/topo-athletic-mt-5-trail-running-shoes-womens

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Thank you. I have seen podiatrists (for two separate and years ago, past injuries) and do not require an orthotic.I don't believe this issue I am experiencing has something to do with my actual foot. Unless I have a weird achilles. ha ha!

Topo customer service provided this link to different ways of lacing. Which I think would be useful to anyone with any kind of sneaker, so I will share it here. I am trying the "heel slipping" technique. Wish me luck.

All I have to say about all of this is, I sure wish I had not been so impatient by ordering on Amazon to get quick Prime shipping and gone ahead and purchased from REI, because I would be returning these shoes. $175 down the drain. *cry* I wish I had an opportunity to try the ultraventure model or something else.

By the way, on Amazon for this shoe (the lady's Mtn Racer) there is another lady's review, having the exact same problems with the rubbing on the heels. For her it's both feet and much much worse (huge open blisters). Ouch! So it's not just me.
Iā€™m not done with you yet! Lolā€¦want to try an experiment? Take an innersole out from an older pair of shoes. The more worn down the better. Then remove the new one. Put the old one in and the new innersole on top of it. If this is not too snug to the point itā€™s uncomfortable, take a hike with it. However, you may want those ankles to heal first (no pun intended), just so we get a more accurate result. But the goal is to raise the foot up slightly higher in the shoe. If this works, and it often does, i would pick up some superfeet innersoles! But go in person to REI or another outdoor store and test them out in the store before u commit!

Hi to all Topo wearers! I've just received my pair of Traverse by mail this afternoon. I've never walk with low drop shoes before. Any advice on how to transition from 8mm to 5mm drop shoes? Thank you!

I just got back from 2 weeks in Spain on the Camino del Norte with a pair of Topo Ultraventure 3s. In five prior 2 week trips, I've tried Merrel Moabs initially and the last two with Hoka Challengers (wide with Superfeet Green insoles). These Topos were the best I've tried.

I got one small "silly" blister early on as I neglected to stop and fix a sock that didn't feel right, but I don't fault the shoe, that's on me.

The shoes were super comfortable despite a very wet Camino with everything from snow, to rain, to stream crossings, to even one or two dry days.

I liked the Hokas very much, but these are even better for my toes and I can wear them in regular width thanks to toe box and I really liked the grippy durable Vibram soles. I will be wearing these again on future trips.

Hi to all Topo wearers! I've just received my pair of Traverse by mail this afternoon. I've never walk with low drop shoes before. Any advice on how to transition from 8mm to 5mm drop shoes? Thank you!
I think the only advice I've heard is slowly acclimate yourself to it. I hear though that if you walk barefoot a lot (me at home) you probably won't notice the difference and should have no issues "getting used to it."

I will try!
Ok, update. I didn't need to try an extra insole to boost my foot up. But the clever way of lacing seemed to completely alleviate any rubbing. I've now walked a good 20 miles in them and seem to be just fine. I can even wear my favorite drymax socks. I quite like them.
Now I'm curious about their zero drop trail runners.

Topo Adventure 3 are great, nice wide toe.box and fit tue to size and are robust I have.done.800 miles in mine and still good.

I will use Inov8 trailflys for my Camino they are the best currently out there. You can wear them.straight out the box, wide toebox, great grip really comfortable over extreme distances. I have tried alot of Shoes, Inov8 Gfly 300, great offroad. , Hoka Bondi 8 and speedgoats all Ok but not great offroad, long distance. Whatever you wear get good socks like Balega blister free

Buen Camino

Attachments

• Compress_20240418_193616_6214.jpg
    Compress_20240418_193616_6214.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 7

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.