• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus poncho

mauveglass

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis (Sept/Oct 2012) Portuguese Central (2016), Portuguese Coastal (2018), Del Norte (2020)
I am getting ready to order an Altus poncho and am undecided on the size...either an XS or S/M. I an 5'2" 120 lbs and usually wear an XS. How do these sizes run? According to their measurements, the XS would fall just below my knees. I don't want to be swimming in it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I came back from the camino yesterday and was wearing Altus XS almost with gaiters daily. It didn´t cover my knees properly so you need to wear rain trousers or maybe one size larger Altus. I am 5´2. So next time I will take S/M with gaiters.
buen camino
annie

Hi,
Just got my S/M Altus in the mail and it falls just below the knees as it should.. I'm 5'3".
I e-mailed Barrabes and this is what they told me re: sizing:

"160cm (5'3") could be a size XS or S/M. Again, what I suggest is that you measure the length from your chin - 105cm for size S/M and 86cm for size XS and see where the hem will come to. Just below the knee is about the best length."

That said the girth is extremely generous which should suit a back pack just fine!
Debbie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm 5'3" and weigh about 140 and I bought a L/XL

I LOVE IT!

It covers me all the way to my ankles and keeps me DRY!
I do roll under the sleeves, but I'm buying a new one and it will be an XL also.

Thank you so much everyone for the info. After taking measurements, I will order the S/M from Barrabes. What a great help this forum is for newbies like me! -Cindy

Me again...I started to order a poncho from Barrabes, I went to checkout and the price is 80 euro (includes delivery to the US)...$105 for me!!! Anyone know of a cheaper company to order from? I'm starting in Roncesvalles. Are they available in Madrid?
cindy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I knowingly walk into a lion’s den with this post, but here goes…

No doubt Altus brand ponchos are among the best there are on the market. That’s clear from all of the testimonials on this forum. Altus ponchos are also among the most expensive on the market. While a well-made heavy-duty poncho is important, particularly in stormy wintery weather, such can be had for a much lower price than an Altus.

In the US many military supply stores carry ponchos of equal durability for a fraction of the cost. Likewise some camping and outdoor stores do as well. The $15 dollar ponchos won’t work, but for about US$30 you can get something that will more than meet your needs, particularly in summer. My guess is that you can likewise also find suitable ponchos at similarly lower cost in many other parts of the world.

After my own $12 woefully inadequate REI poncho ripped apart in gale force winds while on Camino, I found a small store along the Camino (in Fonfria) that sold a no name brand poncho for 18 euros. It was every bit as durable and equal in quality to Atlus and held up well to some wild wintery weather on the remainder of the way to Santiago. Thereafter it was tested in hurricane weather in the US. I expect it will hold up to anything.

The point is, yes Altus may be the best on the market, but it may be overkill. This is particulary true in summer when the storms are not likely to be as harsh as winter. There are other ponchos on the market at significantly lower cost and of good quality that will meet all the needs for the Camino.

… just sharing my experience and observation!

Is the Altus discussed here the same as the Altus Atmospherica?
I think they have it at Barrabes for 33 euros -- nowhere near 80 euros.
Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Forrest

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Several models of the Altus Atmospheric are available, ranging from 30-46 Euro depending if it is on sale somewhere.

Yes, there are much cheaper ponchos on the market and there is no "right" rain gear for everyone. The advantages of the Altus are:
• Extra "hump" for fitting over the backpack (ingenious!)
• Full zip front which makes it MUCH easier to put on and off with a pack, something that is actually quite difficult without a second person to help.
• Zip front allows for more controlled ventilation and keeps poncho from flying up in the wind.

As noted somewhere else on these forums, there is also a similar poncho made by Ferrino (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G2AM3M/?tag=casaivar02-20) which I just received from Amazon. I like it but have not yet tried it in the rain.

Stay happy and dry!

Hi everyone,

I found that there is a store in St JPdP which sells the Altus Poncho and you can order one in advance and pay for it on arrival, saves a lot of online shopping and shipping costs.

"Boutique du Pelerin" , 32 Citadelle street, 20 meters before the Pilgrim's Office. The shop is open 7am to 7pm. Cost €44 for size XL

They can be emailed on directioncompostelle@orange.fr
I emailed and had one within 2 hours

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'll be starting out alone in September from Roncesvalles and meeting my dad in mid-October for the last 100km from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela.

Is there a place to buy the poncho in Sarria or A Coruna (he's flying in to there). I'll order mine online and have it mailed to my friend's place in Pamplona. I don't want to have to order one for my dad and carry it all the way to Sarria.

Thanks, Jennifer

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This Golite Poncho Tarp worked great for me
My brother, a veteran of a half dozen caminos, used the GoLite for a couple of them. Then he got the Altus, and abandoned the GoLite! The Altus worked better as a poncho over a backpack, and he never used the shelter utility of the GoLite. Obviously, pilgrims have a wide variety of experiences with equipment. Try to test the options yourself. You can learn only so much from the experience of others. :D

DesertRain said:
...there is no "right" rain gear for everyone.
Quite right, we all have our preferences.
I used a Ultra-Sil ponch on my first camino, wonderfully light, but a little bit of a problem in strong winds (putting on & keeping pants dry). Also a thing to consider is whether you would like sleeves, very handy when cold, if trying to keep a fleece or shirt sleeves dry. Used an Altus on Camino number two, good bit heavier & hotter, but overall great for continous rain, which we had a bit of.
Both have pros & cons, but at this stage would probably opt for the Altus again next time.
Ideally, a lighter Altus with adjustable vents would be good.
Buen Camino
Col

The Altus poncho is excellent. I am 5'10 and 160 lbs, and I wear a medium size Altus poncho. I got mine in A. Coruna; however, if you are ever in Sarria, please do not hesitate to stop by the sporting goods store located at the steps of the Camino (see the previous post above). It has a great selection of shoes, ponchos and Camino gear. Buen Camino, C-rad

crad80 said:
The Altus poncho is excellent. I am 5'10 and 160 lbs, and I wear a medium size Altus poncho. I got mine in A. Coruna; however, if you are ever in Sarria, please do not hesitate to stop by the sporting goods store located at the steps of the Camino (see the previous post above). It has a great selection of shoes, ponchos and Camino gear. Buen Camino, C-rad

Hi Poncho Packin' Pilgrims!
I bought an Lightweight Altus poncho in SJPP ($60) and it was incredibly hot. The sleeves held sweat so badly that it grossed me out! The only reason I wore it at all was to protect my pack and to keep from being totally soggy. But I was in bad rain for the first 2 days and was soaked on the inside and out, anyway. I will try to get another type of poncho if I do the Camino again. I was under the impression that Altus is still a good brand, even after they changed "the good one", but as far as I'm concerned, it isn't!

Have to agree with you Bozzie. Got the Altus in Leon, after ditching a useless one from home, and found it to be nearly as wet on the inside as on the outside ! Very disappointing !

There is also a wonderful and very surprising outdoor shop in Castrojeriz. It's like a tardis , tiny but packed with everything you could want ! I got some Source sandals there and new socks. Very nice , helpful owner. :D

Bozzie said:
I bought an Lightweight Altus poncho in SJPP ($60) and it was incredibly hot.... I will try to get another type of poncho if I do the Camino again.
Yes, the Altus can definitely be a "sweat box". Having full arms is a big part of the problem, as this is usually where a poncha gets its airflow. However, the sleeves are good in continous rain, particularly in cold conditons. On an earlier camino I had to wear a light rain jacket under an ultra-sil poncho to keep the arms dry, which just caused the same heat build up.
Has anyone found an alternative lightweight, vented, rain jacket/poncho?

Has anyone found an alternative lightweight, vented, rain jacket/poncho?
I used a Packa poncho last September, October, and November. I was pleased with everything about it except its length. I needs to be a foot longer (that will please shorter person!). It has huge zippers under the arms for ventilation, but can be sealed to be warm. All waterproof ponchos suffer from condensation on the inside for those of us who sweat a lot. The decision factor always is whether I will get wetter from the rain or the poncho condensation. Because of the length issue, I will be back in the Altus this spring. The Packa is several ounces lighter than the Altus, and it folds into a pocket, which is large enough to keep camera, etc. dry during rain. The pack cover portion of the Packa has an elastic strap that keeps it securely on the pack even in wind. It does not lift off in wind as the Altus does when your arms are not through the arm holes. It is a worthwhile improvement if it is made longer.

http://www.thepacka.com/index_files/Page346.html

Hi, I have a packa, a poncho with sleeves and it has long vents under the armpits. I ordered the packa in the US. Google 'the packa'. There is also a demonstration on youtube.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the Camino in October 2012 with the Ferrino poncho. It was like walking in a little self-enclosed tent--kept me very dry. Yes, it does get hot but the front zipper helps to manage ventilation. The only change I would make is to have a double zipper so one could open it from the bottom or the top. At the time, the Ferrino was available on Amazon.

I ordered an Altus poncho from barrabes.com in Spain - they have two different types. It took only 4 days to get to the west coast of Canada. It takes two or three weeks to get anything here from the US and a week or more from anywhere else in BC.
I am 5'5" and weigh - too much. The XS is plenty big enough for me.

I went ahead and bought an Altus last summer for my trip this past Sept/Oct. I didn't take it because of the weight. We didn't run into rain until the last few days so I bought one of the yellow ones with the shell logo on the back in Sarria. Worked great...and we ran into torrents of rain the very last day. (So BTW, I do have a brand new one for sale!) Cindy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Falcon, thank you about the packa which looks interesting.

Just for the record, if you don't mind, how tall are you?

I will be walking solo and like the idea of not needing another person to get it on.

I had a very cheap poncho last Novemebr and it ripped because I had no one to help me remove it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Falcoln, Thank you. As I am only 5' 7" the packa would be lower and well worth considering.

I would like to pass on to those interested that Barrabes is now carrying the newest Altus poncho appropriately called the "Atmospheric NEW". Barrabes confirmed the leaking problem with the "Light" and advise that Altus has stopped manufacturing the "Light" and the original Altus poncho. Apparently the NEW weighs 300 grams and is shorter than both prior models. Comes in brilliant lime or subtle orange for those who like a slightly downstream color...no problem being seen by traffic on a dark, rainy day.

Here is the link... http://www.barrabes.com/shop/backpacks- ... o-new.html

Thanks for all your posts. I'm enjoying the learning and preparation process. :)

thanks High.

Like the colours but not happy that it is shorter.

off to my local store after Easter to go and have a look at whats in stock.

the packa seems to be favourite at the moment.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.