• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I being naive?

DMSyracuse

Time of past OR future Camino
CF March/April 2015 - SJPdP to Santiago
Cam. Finisterre/Muxia August 2016
Cam. Fatima - Oct 2017
So a few years ago I first heard about the Camino and was immediately drawn to it. I started to research it a bit and put it on my bucket list in life to do. Then last spring at my church we had a mission with the speaker a priest Father Dave Pivonka that had walked the camino and wrote a great book Hiking the Camino - 500 miles with Jesus. Reading that book numerous times just confirmed that I needed to do this someday. Well that someday I assumed would have to wait until my retirement, has suddenly presented an opportunity in life now this year. I was recently laid off from a long term career and while I'm not at retirement age and will find another job, I do feel like I want to take a short break in life and make the camino a part of it. That being said, the timing I'm thinking of is starting in mid to late March and finishing a month or so later in mid-April. Is it naïve to think I can pull this off as far as the planning in such a short time? It seems like most people plan this many months if not years out... I lived in central NY my entire life so I certainly am no stranger to extreme cold and snow conditions, but is it safe to assume that by mid-March/April chances for extreme conditions would be minimal?
As far as hiking, can't say I have much experience, but I do keep myself in pretty good condition, I've run 5 marathons in my life and working out and running are a part of my life.

This forum is fantastic and I thank all of you that have made it what it is:)...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome! It is not naive to think you can do this. I have only walked in October-November, but I think March-April would be a great time. Likely your only real weather concern would be crossing from St. Jean to Roncesvalles. You would need to take the advice of the pilgrim's office in St. Jean and not attempt the Napoleon route if they recommend against it. Alternatively, start at Roncesvalles or even Pamplona, particularly if your time is limited. Be sure to leave a few days leeway in case you need them. You can use the Santiago-Finisterre stages as an add-on if you arrive in Santiago too early!

Honestly, the planning for the Camino is not particularly complex. We make it so, because we need to fill the time! If you have well-tested walking shoes/boots that you are accustomed to using, and have a good fitting backpack, you could be ready in days. Carry layered clothing, a light sleeping bag, rain gear, evening footwear, walking sticks and not much else.

If you can get yourself to St. Jean (or your preferred starting point)....and you can get fitted for proper boots and pack...you will have no problems.
Pack very little and walk lightly.

The way is marked so nothing is needed to find your way. Everything will just fall in place as soon as you get there.

The long preparations we do are just part of the fun and adventure..but not needed to make a successful Camino.

Go for it.
It will change your life.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome! It is not naive to think you can do this. I have only walked in October-November, but I think March-April would be a great time. Likely your only real weather concern would be crossing from St. Jean to Roncesvalles. You would need to take the advice of the pilgrim's office in St. Jean and not attempt the Napoleon route if they recommend against it. Alternatively, start at Roncesvalles or even Pamplona, particularly if your time is limited. Be sure to leave a few days leeway in case you need them. You can use the Santiago-Finisterre stages as an add-on if you arrive in Santiago too early!

Honestly, the planning for the Camino is not particularly complex. We make it so, because we need to fill the time! If you have well-tested walking shoes/boots that you are accustomed to using, and have a good fitting backpack, you could be ready in days. Carry layered clothing, a light sleeping bag, rain gear, evening footwear, walking sticks and not much else.

Thank you C clearly for the welcome! I really think I need to and am going to make this happen:).... I've just started with this great forum and will do a lot of digging into all the great advice. I've already started looking into flights and by the end of this month hope to have some real plans in place - along with a some new hiking shoes/boots to start working in!

If you can get yourself to St. Jean (or your preferred starting point)....and you can get fitted for proper boots and pack...you will have no problems.
Pack very little and walk lightly.

The way is marked so nothing is needed to find your way. Everything will just fall in place as soon as you get there.

The long preparations we do are just part of the fun and adventure..but not needed to make a successful Camino.

Go for it.
It will change your life.

Thanks so much grayland, yes each day that passes I know more and more this is my time to do this. And yes making flight arrangements and getting proper boots and pack are at the top of my list to do...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome DM and Greetings from Jerusalem!
You should be alright weather-wise but as the poet said "The Times they are a'Changing", past experience and historical records seem not to have meteorological validity anymore. Since you have no control over the clouds a-n-d you hail from Syracuse, you will feel the weather in Spain to be quite balmy even if it should snow from time to time! When do you want to go? Mid-March 2015 will put you on the Camino during Easter and Spring a wonderful time! Months of planning are not needed, may help in the fine tuning, but the Camino is so well organized, so well marked, so well fitted to the needs of almost every pilgrim that you should not worry. Take the Brierley guide, decide from where you want to start and start walking! Buen Camino

So a few years ago I first heard about the Camino and was immediately drawn to it. I started to research it a bit and put it on my bucket list in life to do. Then last spring at my church we had a mission with the speaker a priest Father Dave Pivonka that had walked the camino and wrote a great book Hiking the Camino - 500 miles with Jesus. Reading that book numerous times just confirmed that I needed to do this someday. Well that someday I assumed would have to wait until my retirement, has suddenly presented an opportunity in life now this year. I was recently laid off from a long term career and while I'm not at retirement age and will find another job, I do feel like I want to take a short break in life and make the camino a part of it. That being said, the timing I'm thinking of is starting in mid to late March and finishing a month or so later in mid-April. Is it naïve to think I can pull this off as far as the planning in such a short time? It seems like most people plan this many months if not years out... I lived in central NY my entire life so I certainly am no stranger to extreme cold and snow conditions, but is it safe to assume that by mid-March/April chances for extreme conditions would be minimal?
As far as hiking, can't say I have much experience, but I do keep myself in pretty good condition, I've run 5 marathons in my life and working out and running are a part of my life.

This forum is fantastic and I thank all of you that have made it what it is:)...
You are set. The weather is nothing like NY winters and extreme weather rarely applies to Spain, and you you're a marathon man. Invest in a good rain poncho and some reliable hiking boots. Have fun and Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You should have no major problem, just make sure you have good, well worn shoes (light boots are better in my opinion, but that is a personal choice), and make sure you carry no more than 7 or 8 kilos with you. You will be surprised by how little you really need!

Start slowly, and after a week, you will be a walking machine, you run marathons so you know how to administer your intensity.

listen to your body, take care of your feet, stop as many times as needed if you see that you might be starting to get a blister; hospitaleros (albergue keepers) usually have plenty of experience in this.

Remember the Camino is not to be done in set stages, you can stop wherever you want if you like a particular place, or you can move forward if your body is asking you to move, listen to yourself. you do not have to follow the stages in your guide book. Have a rough idea of where you might stop, but be open to make stages shorter or longer as you see fit.

You will be crossing very different landscapes, the food will be different too; be brave and try our gorgeous Spanish food other than the standard "menu peregrino" where you always get a salad, pasta with tomato sauce, french fries and egg... Do try to be brave and eat the Spanish sausages (paprika chorizo, blood morcilla sausage), the different bean, lentil and garbanzo stews will keep you warm and going for miles. And the rich cuisine in Bierzo, just before enjoying the amazing seafood you find in Galicia (octopus and barnacles are a MUST)

And if landscapes are varied, wines are no less; make sure you drink the sturdy Navarra reds, the fruity Aragonese grenache wines, the rich Rioja wines, the opulent Ribera del Duero reds, the surprising Prieto Picudo rosé wines in León, the amazing Bierzo reds and whites, the crispy Ribeiros and fragrant Albariños in Galicia.

There is a lot to it in the Camino, amigo!

Buen camino!

Welcome. Nicely worded post setting out your concerns. Lot's of good advice above and elsewhere. You have plenty of time to research and prepare. Sounds like you are fitter (and younger) than many, especially me! It really should not be a problem for you and it will be a great retirement rehearsal! :) People here will help with anything they can so just wade in here and enjoy! The Camino gives many people a chance for reflection and they subsequently have a change of direction in their lives. So who knows what might happen for you and what you might choose to do next?
PS Anyone care to predict the date that the OP confesses joining our addicts group? :(

Welcome to the forum DM. The decision to walk was made for me in Feb. for a mid April departure, so yes you have time to prepare. Go to an Outdoor store, REI are recommended by many on here and get kitted out. For me the most important thing would be proper fitting boots, socks, then clothing, wet gear and pack. Get those boots broken in asap. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have here.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome DM and Greetings from Jerusalem!
You should be alright weather-wise but as the poet said "The Times they are a'Changing", past experience and historical records seem not to have meteorological validity anymore. Since you have no control over the clouds a-n-d you hail from Syracuse, you will feel the weather in Spain to be quite balmy even if it should snow from time to time! When do you want to go? Mid-March 2015 will put you on the Camino during Easter and Spring a wonderful time! Months of planning are not needed, may help in the fine tuning, but the Camino is so well organized, so well marked, so well fitted to the needs of almost every pilgrim that you should not worry. Take the Brierley guide, decide from where you want to start and start walking! Buen Camino

Thank you scruffy1! And yes we do get quite the extreme winter weather here in Syracuse (avg snowfall is approx. 110 inches (279 cm) per winter and the temp well yesterday the high was 17 F (-8 C) - frigid:)! My target date would be to leave Syracuse on March 22 so yes my Easter would be spent on the Camino - I can't even begin to imagine how amazing that would be! And just ordered the Brierley guide yesterday...

You should have no major problem, just make sure you have good, well worn shoes (light boots are better in my opinion, but that is a personal choice), and make sure you carry no more than 7 or 8 kilos with you. You will be surprised by how little you really need!

Start slowly, and after a week, you will be a walking machine, you run marathons so you know how to administer your intensity.

listen to your body, take care of your feet, stop as many times as needed if you see that you might be starting to get a blister; hospitaleros (albergue keepers) usually have plenty of experience in this.

Remember the Camino is not to be done in set stages, you can stop wherever you want if you like a particular place, or you can move forward if your body is asking you to move, listen to yourself. you do not have to follow the stages in your guide book. Have a rough idea of where you might stop, but be open to make stages shorter or longer as you see fit.

You will be crossing very different landscapes, the food will be different too; be brave and try our gorgeous Spanish food other than the standard "menu peregrino" where you always get a salad, pasta with tomato sauce, french fries and egg... Do try to be brave and eat the Spanish sausages (paprika chorizo, blood morcilla sausage), the different bean, lentil and garbanzo stews will keep you warm and going for miles. And the rich cuisine in Bierzo, just before enjoying the amazing seafood you find in Galicia (octopus and barnacles are a MUST)

And if landscapes are varied, wines are no less; make sure you drink the sturdy Navarra reds, the fruity Aragonese grenache wines, the rich Rioja wines, the opulent Ribera del Duero reds, the surprising Prieto Picudo rosé wines in León, the amazing Bierzo reds and whites, the crispy Ribeiros and fragrant Albariños in Galicia.

Buen camino!

Gracias amigo! Great advice and yes I will definitely venture into trying the delicious Spanish food and of course the wine:)...

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I don't see any reason at all why you couldn't plan for and complete your camino.
Having months and months and months to plan may be nice, but is not a necessity.
Use this forum as much as you can, order a guidebook and read it once, twice, three times cover to cover.
I've been planning my camino since September and I still don't feel totally prepared, but that uncertainty is part of the fun and adds to the excitement! 100% certainty is boring!(in my opinion).

Good luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would spend a lot of time in your Camino shoes/boots, and as much time standing/walking as possible, in these few months of preparation. Even if you are not out hiking every day due to the weather, try to get your body acclimated to being on your feet all day every day. No desk or TV chairs; wear these shoes on the gym treadmill. You need to sort out your foot-system: what lube, sock suite, and shoes to use. Usually this is sorted out in several months of hiking beforehand, so you will need to find a workable substitute. Other than that, you're all ready all ready!

I can't claim to be an expert, but I decided back in October to make my first trip this March as well (Leon to Santiago due to limited vacation time). I've spent 2 1/2 months gathering gear and all the information I can find, now I've got 53 days of anxiously re-reading everything ahead of me. I'm reasonably confident that two months is adequate to prepare.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You have plenty of time, your already in fit shape. For your boots and pack, Go to a reputable outdoor store and tell them what your doing. My pack weighed 21 lbs, so you don't need heavy boots. Obviously break them in before you depart. I wore two pairs of socks, never a blister! You've run marathons so I assume you know of toed socks, those were one of the two pairs I always wore!
My wife and I did the Galicia section about the same time of year as your looking at. I'll be completely truthfull, it's the rainy season there, it rained( either poured or drizzled) every day except two days, so invest in a good poncho! The weather never dampened (unintentional pun) our spirits ONCE. It was a truly remarkable walk, with breathtaking views all along. As for the beginning from JPP, we encountered a lot of pilgrims who told us they definetly incurred nasty weather and some were rerouted through the Pyrenees.

Buon Camino

Is it naïve to think I can pull this off as far as the planning in such a short time?
You'll be fine. A lot of us over prepare; it's just a way of savoring the Camino when we aren't actually walking it.

All the information on gear, routes, etc. is available in this forum. If you have questions, and can't find the answers by searching, just ask. You'll get plenty of answers (albeit sometimes contradictory).

In Syracuse, you have everything else you need to prepare. Several good outdoor gear shops (as others have said, get your boots immediately and start wearing them) and lots of hills.

A couple of months is plenty of time to assemble your gear and train. Load your pack up with 20 lbs of something (pillows and a dumb bell or two will be fine until you get your gear) and start walking up and down E. Adams Street. Or any of the other drumlins in the area.

Buen Camino.

Karl

You'll be fine. A lot of us over prepare; it's just a way of savoring the Camino when we aren't actually walking it.

All the information on gear, routes, etc. is available in this forum. If you have questions, and can't find the answers by searching, just ask. You'll get plenty of answers (albeit sometimes contradictory).

In Syracuse, you have everything else you need to prepare. Several good outdoor gear shops (as others have said, get your boots immediately and start wearing them) and lots of hills.

A couple of months is plenty of time to assemble your gear and train. Load your pack up with 20 lbs of something (pillows and a dumb bell or two will be fine until you get your gear) and start walking up and down E. Adams Street. Or any of the other drumlins in the area.

Buen Camino.

Karl

Thanks Karl! I see you are familiar with some of the hills of Syracuse:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Karl! I see you are familiar with some of the hills of Syracuse:)
I am; I used to be the house mother (long story - that's what the contract said I was) at Alpha Chi Omega, a now defunct sorority on E. Adams Street. Worked on S. Salina Street, and biked up East Adams Street going home each day, weather permitting.

I live in Northern Virginia now, and we don't have much in the way of hills where I live. This is too bad; my only training regret when I did the CF in 2013 was not having trained on hills. There are only 4 days of serious climbing on the CF (3 if you don't stop at Orisson, where I strongly recommend you DO stop; it's lovely, the food is great, and the pilgrims at your communal meal will be your Camino Family for the rest of the way) but they are steep, and I regretted not training in the hills.

Shouldn't be a problem in Syracuse.

Buen Camino!

Karl

My son walked the camino 6 months before I did and he warned me about 'over planning'! He was right and, as long as your feet are ok, the rest seems to follow.

Grayland is also right - now I use 'planning' as a way of keeping in touch with the camino.

The search function on this forum can help with most questions you have.

March/April is a wonderful time to walk!

buen camino

Is it naïve to think I can pull this off as far as the planning in such a short time? It seems like most people plan this many months if not years out...

I don't think that people plan for years as much as anticipate the Camino for years - until they are in a place where they can take the time to do it. As others have said, planning is minimal. Get your gear, make your travel arrangements, go. Maybe make reservations for your first night, maybe not. In the mean time, read up and glean what you can - and of course walk was much as you can between then and now.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello fellow Perigrino!

I'll tell you my anecdote so that you can see that, if whatever power that is wishes you a green light on your Camino, whenever that is, you should feel no fear taking the road!

My friend, will call him R and his brother from another mother J were with me at an event I work at. R had been spending a lot of time desiring to visit Germany, where his mother is from and where his dual citizenship is. However, R had heard about the Camino from a friend and found out about the Compostela, a piece of paper which signifies he has done something amazing. R loves certificates of completion, awards and such, so this was a big deal to him. In December of 2012 he decided he wanted to Walk the Camino and after that end his travels with a tour around Europe for a month or so. Eventually he convinced J to join him, and they started to plan. I am almost always with these two, and their plans were making me cringe. As soon as R had mentioned the Camino, I'd googled it and devoured countless hours of information, found our local affiliate with American Pilgrims on the Camino and begun speaking to them. The boys were talking about carrying big, winter packs with board games and cards against humanity!
At the end March of 2013, during an event I was helping with, I laid out a better plan for them. How they would purchase their packs, assemble their gear, training regimen and planning for each stage. They had not yet booked flights, but their plan was to leave on June 19th, to give them plenty of time to walk the ~30ish day journey. They had 2 1/2 months between final actual real plans, and purchasing gear and going on the Camino. They were grateful for my print outs, my book recommendations and I even volunteered to train with them.
Early April, around a two weeks after my event R turned to me and said; You are doing so much planning, you should just go on the Camino with us! R is the sort of person who worries about Money later, he bought 3 round trip tickets (USA - Barcelona/Dublin - USA) and that was that. With just about 2 months before I'd fly to another country for the first time (And no Passport mind you) I had to mentally and spiritually and physically prepare for the Camino!

Well, long story short, I did it. I made it. It was INCREDIBLE. I will warn you that the SHOES are not just a funny thing everyone SAYS are important.

J had to end his Camino early because he bought $30 "Backpacking" Shoes from Big 5 Sporting Goods (A local discount chain for sports and hunting). And on the first day in Spain, the heel fell in, he kept on walking in them for a few more days before real damage was done to his ankle. He bought new shoes but it was already too late. He did make it to Leon, but only by bus most days, and flew home after a train to Madrid. Very sad.

The point is: Take a breath, plan your trip at your own pace! And the Camino will provide if you take everything at a pace that is right for you. Listen to the advice of past Pilgrims and take the time to feel the Camino. (I'm one of those folks planning the Camino a year + in advance, but.... I have an odd situation!)

Last year, in late February, I decided to walk the Camino. Actually, I decided to walk it a couple years ago, but it was then that I decided I could walk it, if I walked it right then and now. Less than 3 weeks later, I was in St. Jean Pied de Port. So no, you're not being naive given the time frame you have. Or if you are, there is at least one person more naive than you!

You shouldn't have to worry too much about winter conditions. Perhaps in the mountains you might find some snow, but these are just areas that haven't melted yet. I started out in early March last year, 2014. Coming out of St. Jean, it was was in the 70's. I saw a few patches of snow in the Pyrenees and on the way to the Cruz de Ferro, but that's it. It did snow overnight in Carrion, but that was gone in the afternoon. Friends who were a few days behind me did get a real snowfall, but it was warm enough that all it did was make things muddy. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you might encounter snow, but it shouldn't have a significant impact on your walking. You'll be dealing with rain far more than snow.

As far your fitness level goes, you should be fine. Start walking now if you haven't already, and with your pack on. Everyone struggles at the beginning so don't worry about it.

Use the time you have between now and then to walk and learn some Spanish. You'll have a great Camino!

Do it. You have lots of time. The amount of prep. required is over rated. Get a good guide - I like Brierly - he will tell you all you need to know. As a runner I caution you though that walking is very different on your body than running. Cheers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last year, in late February, I decided to walk the Camino. Actually, I decided to walk it a couple years ago, but it was then that I decided I could walk it, if I walked it right then and now. Less than 3 weeks later, I was in St. Jean Pied de Port. So no, you're not being naive given the time frame you have. Or if you are, there is at least one person more naive than you!

You shouldn't have to worry too much about winter conditions. Perhaps in the mountains you might find some snow, but these are just areas that haven't melted yet. I started out in early March last year, 2014. Coming out of St. Jean, it was was in the 70's. I saw a few patches of snow in the Pyrenees and on the way to the Cruz de Ferro, but that's it. It did snow overnight in Carrion, but that was gone in the afternoon. Friends who were a few days behind me did get a real snowfall, but it was warm enough that all it did was make things muddy. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you might encounter snow, but it shouldn't have a significant impact on your walking. You'll be dealing with rain far more than snow.

As far your fitness level goes, you should be fine. Start walking now if you haven't already, and with your pack on. Everyone struggles at the beginning so don't worry about it.

Use the time you have between now and then to walk and learn some Spanish. You'll have a great Camino!
Thanks jeffnd - that's really encouraging to hear! Especially knowing you did it in that short time prep and its great hearing from someone who completed it at the same time of year I'm planning so I can get an idea about the weather conditions!

I am; I used to be the house mother (long story - that's what the contract said I was) at Alpha Chi Omega, a now defunct sorority on E. Adams Street. Worked on S. Salina Street, and biked up East Adams Street going home each day, weather permitting.

I live in Northern Virginia now, and we don't have much in the way of hills where I live. This is too bad; my only training regret when I did the CF in 2013 was not having trained on hills. There are only 4 days of serious climbing on the CF (3 if you don't stop at Orisson, where I strongly recommend you DO stop; it's lovely, the food is great, and the pilgrims at your communal meal will be your Camino Family for the rest of the way) but they are steep, and I regretted not training in the hills.

Shouldn't be a problem in Syracuse.

Buen Camino!

Karl
Small world Karl - my daughter was a freshman at SU and in Alpha Chi Omega when it shut down - I'm also an SU alumn!

Hello fellow Perigrino!

I'll tell you my anecdote so that you can see that, if whatever power that is wishes you a green light on your Camino, whenever that is, you should feel no fear taking the road!

My friend, will call him R and his brother from another mother J were with me at an event I work at. R had been spending a lot of time desiring to visit Germany, where his mother is from and where his dual citizenship is. However, R had heard about the Camino from a friend and found out about the Compostela, a piece of paper which signifies he has done something amazing. R loves certificates of completion, awards and such, so this was a big deal to him. In December of 2012 he decided he wanted to Walk the Camino and after that end his travels with a tour around Europe for a month or so. Eventually he convinced J to join him, and they started to plan. I am almost always with these two, and their plans were making me cringe. As soon as R had mentioned the Camino, I'd googled it and devoured countless hours of information, found our local affiliate with American Pilgrims on the Camino and begun speaking to them. The boys were talking about carrying big, winter packs with board games and cards against humanity!
At the end March of 2013, during an event I was helping with, I laid out a better plan for them. How they would purchase their packs, assemble their gear, training regimen and planning for each stage. They had not yet booked flights, but their plan was to leave on June 19th, to give them plenty of time to walk the ~30ish day journey. They had 2 1/2 months between final actual real plans, and purchasing gear and going on the Camino. They were grateful for my print outs, my book recommendations and I even volunteered to train with them.
Early April, around a two weeks after my event R turned to me and said; You are doing so much planning, you should just go on the Camino with us! R is the sort of person who worries about Money later, he bought 3 round trip tickets (USA - Barcelona/Dublin - USA) and that was that. With just about 2 months before I'd fly to another country for the first time (And no Passport mind you) I had to mentally and spiritually and physically prepare for the Camino!

Well, long story short, I did it. I made it. It was INCREDIBLE. I will warn you that the SHOES are not just a funny thing everyone SAYS are important.

J had to end his Camino early because he bought $30 "Backpacking" Shoes from Big 5 Sporting Goods (A local discount chain for sports and hunting). And on the first day in Spain, the heel fell in, he kept on walking in them for a few more days before real damage was done to his ankle. He bought new shoes but it was already too late. He did make it to Leon, but only by bus most days, and flew home after a train to Madrid. Very sad.

The point is: Take a breath, plan your trip at your own pace! And the Camino will provide if you take everything at a pace that is right for you. Listen to the advice of past Pilgrims and take the time to feel the Camino. (I'm one of those folks planning the Camino a year + in advance, but.... I have an odd situation!)

Thanks Allykat - great story and helping to calm some of my anxiety:)...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome! Many good thinks said already and I suppose point is made clearly already, you can do it! ;-)

In 2010 my wife took an unpaid leave from her job for 4 months with no plans what to do. Only in the first week of this leave she decided to do the a camino. She bought a pack, shoes, sleeping bag and guide and was gone within 2 weeks. After a month I took my old 2 kg suitcase shaped backpack, put in some stuff I have already (like normal cotton shirts) with a total of 12 kgs, (from which I did send home 2 kgs after 2 days) and joined her for my 4 week holiday. It was great!

In the end: I had to go home after my 4 week holidays whil my wife stayed on the camino for 3 months (during she left some stuff and bought better gear on the way), Since then we both got this virus and do camino's nearly every year. By now, I do have another backpack and bought some other clothes ;). last year I left home with 4,5 kgs and did parts of it like a trailrun.

I'm happy I was 'naive' when I did my first camino. Because I didn't plan anything I could walk as I felt. Everything was a surprise, the wonderful things and all the pains too. I was free! I must say we both were in pretty good shape.
Because I do have this permanent camino blues I hang around this great forum a lot. I love to share and talk here about the camino, sometimes about the most futile thing. I can imagin that if looks like these futile things are very important. But really, they are not at all. It's just talk from nerdy people who miss the camino too much :rolleyes:

So my advice would (nearly... :D ) be, buy a (one way?) ticket shoes and pack, don't prepare, also not the coming months, stay naive and go! :cool: :) :)

Last edited:
Thanks jeffnd - that's really encouraging to hear! Especially knowing you did it in that short time prep and its great hearing from someone who completed it at the same time of year I'm planning so I can get an idea about the weather conditions!

Keep checking the weather before you go. Not only the historical averages, but the actual forecast as well. It seems that the same time a year before my Camino, it was snowing St. Jean, so you never can tell. But during that time of year, you won't be seeing 10 feet of snow falling with 20 below temps. You can leave the arctic expedition gear at home!

I definitely think you can do it with the short planning, and you don't have to be a great hiker, but I wouldn't over-rely on your marathon background. One of the people I saw struggle the most was an iron man/marathon runner. It's a very, very different skill. A marathon is about 100 times tougher than any day of the camino......but on the camino you have to get back up and do it again tomorrow.....and the next day. I'm not saying one is more (or less) difficult, just that it's an entirely different strain on the body and on the mind

Last edited:
Small world Karl - my daughter was a freshman at SU and in Alpha Chi Omega when it shut down - I'm also an SU alumn!
My, it really is a small world.

Or perhaps this is a large forum!

Buen Camino,

Karl

I definitely think you can do it with the short planning, and you don't have to be a great hiker, but I wouldn't over-rely on your marathon background. One of the people I saw the most was an iron man/marathon runner. It's a very, very different skill. A marathon is about 100 times tougher than any day of the camino......but on the camino you have to get back up and do it again tomorrow.....and the next day. I'm not saying one is more (or less) difficult, just that it's an entirely different strain on the body and on the mind
Thanks waveprof and definitely agree with you regarding the differences between hiking day after day on the camino vs marathon...

Also, listen to the guides when you get to whatever starting point. They'll know the conditions the past few days, which can be helpful in knowing where it will be muddy!

And if you start in St. Jean, and they tell you to take the RIGHT road listen, pay attention, and when in doubt go right on the way to Roncesvalles. My friend and I were waiting for a giant yellow arrow pointing right (put on the map, but didn't exist in real space) and walked straight down the Napoleon route, he slipped in the mud over five times, which was funny as I was light enough on my feet that I didn't have any trouble, but we later heard a woman slipped and broke her leg not an hour before we started down :( very bad!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

As far as hiking, can't say I have much experience, but I do keep myself in pretty good condition, I've run 5 marathons in my life and working out and running are a part of my

yes yes

yesyes

DMSyracuse, of course you can do it! Actually, you have no choice. You've been called. I'm always taken with how people first hear about the Camino, think about it for awhile, then put it on their list of "things to do in my lifetime", not sure when that time will come. Your second calling was when you read the priests book. It relit the fire, but the time to walk was still unknown. Now your job has disappeared. Bad in one way, but quite possibly a gift from the Camino. Your opportunity has come sooner than you imagined but right on time as far as the Camino is concerned. Who knows what you'll find? No matter what, the chance to go has presented itself and you're going. Prepare as well as you can in the time you have and GO!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi DMSyracuse

I'd pretty much reiterate what others have said: you are likely to be young enough and fit enough to do the walk with no potential problems and, as an experienced athlete, will know how to listen to your body.

Time-wise, there should be ample. Of course do some preparation, but the infrastructure along the route is good, and with the help of a guidebook and advice from fellow pilgrims along the way, food, water, accommodation and other supplies are reasonably readily available (it's not really a wilderness walk, there are villages and towns at fairly regular intervals so no need to carry days' worth of food and drink, and apart from a few notable sections like the Route Napoleon over the Pyrenees it is fairly easy going).

BUT ......

The two things that usually cause people the most problem (even to the point of abandonment) are pack weight and footwear!

If you are buying new boots for the trip, make sure they are really, really well worn in before you start (obviously not to the point of them falling apart, but do enough walking beforehand to satisfy yourself that there are no potential problems - pounding the trail day after day will amplify any issues, even those that might seem minor on a short training walk like hot-spots, foot-soreness and joint niggles, so get through those before you hit the trail in earnest). I am in that situation for this year and want to do 100+ miles in total in my new footwear before going, building up from short 3-5 mile jaunts to 10-15 miles at a time, and ensuring they are niggle-free.

Pack weight is also critical, and there are dozens of threads on this on the forum. Basically, though, go with as little as possible whilst making sure you have all the essentials (again, there are loads of threads on this). Remember two things - a) an item may be far less "essential" if you have to carry it all day every day for 30-odd days, come rain or shine, and b) if you find you are missing something, there are towns and villages along the way where you can buy anything you are short of (I guess I'm confirming the maxim "take half the stuff and twice the money" you think you'll need! :D) .

Anyway, hope the planning goes OK, and good luck! :)

Well its been a few weeks since I originally made my first post here and you all gave me such good encouragement that I'm happy to say my first Camino is becoming a reality! My flight is booked I'll be arriving in Madrid (from NY) early Sunday morning March 22nd. I've made my first stop at an REI store and now have my backpack, hiking shoes, socks, sleeping bag - so I've got a start at least now! Can't wait although have to admit to feeling some anxiety and fear - perhaps those are 2 things I can leave behind on my Camino:)... I've already taken my first snow packed, cold hike here in central NY with my new shoes, now I'll spending the upcoming 7 weeks preparing as best as possible.

One thing I'll do some research on is getting from Madrid to SJPP. I was originally thinking bus to Pamplona and spending the night at Pension Corazon Puro as I've heard great things about that but unfortunately they do not open until a few days after I'll be arriving, March 27th. So that being the case I'm thinking I'll be spending Sunday night in SJPP and starting my Camino on Monday morning. I arrive in Madrid at 6:20 a.m. so I should have the day to make my way over to SJPP. Will I have any problems with transportation being that its a Sunday? I'm sure there's good info here on this forum and I'll start taking a look but thought I'd get some initial feedback here...

@seanie I am going seriously off topic here, but you certainly need to check on your list of recent caminos (left forum side bar) as it ads an awful lot of empty space to your posts and nearly breaks the layout here. Sorry for being the bearer of bad news, SY

Good for you! A few things:
Do yourself a favor and post your packing list on the forum, the one most frequent mistake new pilgrims make is packing too much + forgetting the real essentials! So, please, let us help you!
Second, good for you for leaving your fears and anxiety behind! Well done!
Transport to SJPDP, check out http://www.expressbourricot.com/

Buen Camino! SY

@seanie I am going seriously off topic here, but you certainly need to check on your list of recent caminos (left forum side bar) as it ads an awful lot of empty space to your posts and nearly breaks the layout here. Sorry for being the bearer of bad news, SY
Amazing how different platforms present...or don't. :). When on my phone it didn't look strange and I had no idea what you were referring to, but when I looked on my iPad the breaks clearly show up.

Good for you! A few things:
Do yourself a favor and post your packing list on the forum, the one most frequent mistake new pilgrims make is packing too much + forgetting the real essentials! So, please, let us help you!
Second, good for you for leaving your fears and anxiety behind! Well done!
Transport to SJPDP, check out http://www.expressbourricot.com/

Buen Camino! SY
Thank you SY will definitely take you up on that offer of help:) and will continue to post as my preparation continues!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi there :)
I read your original post, skimmed through replies a bit, and decided to reply - SO HAPPY TO READ THAT YOU'RE GOING FOR IT! Though I don't know a lot about the weather in March (I started my camino in May), or travel from Pamplona to St John - I DO know that I bought my airline tickets to Paris (traveling from NC, USA), and I figured out all of the rest of it from there, and I had never traveled abroad, don't speak french, etc. I din't have any snow, but it was the first time I walked through thunder, lightening, and hail in my life - and I'm happy I've had that experience :) I understand your fears - they are the same as all others - and tend to nearly always get resolved as we walk into the unknown with faith. That was one of my most profound take-aways from my long walk.
Except for weather related reasons, you'll need less than you think you do. Random things I was glad I packed: 8 clothespins, two sets of ear plugs, and a very oversized silk scarf. The scarf was like my Leatherman tool of my camino; it folds to about 4"x4"x1" and is extremely light, temporary privacy wall (in a bottom bunk), extra towel, warmth around my neck, a resting place for a picnic...as a matter of fact, I just looked at my avatar and said scarf is bunched around my neck.
Now I am rambling -
Buen Camino!!!!

Also, listen to the guides when you get to whatever starting point. They'll know the conditions the past few days, which can be helpful in knowing where it will be muddy!

And if you start in St. Jean, and they tell you to take the RIGHT road listen, pay attention, and when in doubt go right on the way to Roncesvalles. My friend and I were waiting for a giant yellow arrow pointing right (put on the map, but didn't exist in real space) and walked straight down the Napoleon route, he slipped in the mud over five times, which was funny as I was light enough on my feet that I didn't have any trouble, but we later heard a woman slipped and broke her leg not an hour before we started down :( very bad!
Hey allykat, and neighbor! I live in Tigard! I recently joined this forum as I'm planning to hike the Camino next year to celebrate my retirement. I've got plenty of time but can you share what kind of training program you used to prepare. Currently I walk everyday anywhere from 4 to 8 miles. After reading these entries it sounds like I'm on the right track.

You'll be fine with the time you have. The Camino will provide. You seem to be in great shape if you run marathons. Pack light. Well-broken in hiking shoes. Rain gear and a good guidebook. You'll be fine.
Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You'll be fine with the time you have. The Camino will provide. You seem to be in great shape if you run marathons. Pack light. Well-broken in hiking shoes. Rain gear and a good guidebook. You'll be fine.
Buen Camino!
Thanks! Yes just got my hiking shoes this week and have been working them already, despite the frigid, snowy central NY winter we have here:)... I have yet to purchase my rain gear or what type of warm clothing I"ll need since my time on the Camino will be March 23th - April 25th so I imagine i'll get some really nice spring weather along with some not so nice end of winter early spring weather...

Hi there :)
I read your original post, skimmed through replies a bit, and decided to reply - SO HAPPY TO READ THAT YOU'RE GOING FOR IT! Though I don't know a lot about the weather in March (I started my camino in May), or travel from Pamplona to St John - I DO know that I bought my airline tickets to Paris (traveling from NC, USA), and I figured out all of the rest of it from there, and I had never traveled abroad, don't speak french, etc. I din't have any snow, but it was the first time I walked through thunder, lightening, and hail in my life - and I'm happy I've had that experience :) I understand your fears - they are the same as all others - and tend to nearly always get resolved as we walk into the unknown with faith. That was one of my most profound take-aways from my long walk.
Except for weather related reasons, you'll need less than you think you do. Random things I was glad I packed: 8 clothespins, two sets of ear plugs, and a very oversized silk scarf. The scarf was like my Leatherman tool of my camino; it folds to about 4"x4"x1" and is extremely light, temporary privacy wall (in a bottom bunk), extra towel, warmth around my neck, a resting place for a picnic...as a matter of fact, I just looked at my avatar and said scarf is bunched around my neck.
Now I am rambling -
Buen Camino!!!!

Thank you Kerstinh47 for the encouragement and advice - appreciate it!

DMSyracuse, you will be fine- just make sure you break those shoes in well. And do be prepared for the possibility of cold/wet weather at that time. (Think layers in terms of clothing.) Even if you don't get snow, you might get some awfully cold winds, especially on the Meseta, which is at a surprisingly high altitude.
Hope it's all you wish for and more.
Margaret

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Buen camino!
- I piggy-backed on this thread - your advice is excellent! I just copied and pasted to 3 of my children who are joining me in July and August - thank you

I've read the same book, feel the same way and we are from NH. However we will be doing the 500 miles in July-August. It is a blessing to have the "interrupted" time in life to cross this off your bucket list. I taking 3 of my children with me..I pray they may have the same zeal as you! Enjoy and be open to all that Christ has in store for your heart and soul.

I've read the same book, feel the same way and we are from NH. However we will be doing the 500 miles in July-August. It is a blessing to have the "interrupted" time in life to cross this off your bucket list. I taking 3 of my children with me..I pray they may have the same zeal as you! Enjoy and be open to all that Christ has in store for your heart and soul.
Thank you MOMAND3KIDS:) - yes it truly is a blessing and so is your Camino with 3 of your children - good for you! I someday hope to return to the Camino with my 2 daughters:)...

Well its been a few weeks since I originally made my first post here and you all gave me such good encouragement that I'm happy to say my first Camino is becoming a reality! My flight is booked I'll be arriving in Madrid (from NY) early Sunday morning March 22nd. I've made my first stop at an REI store and now have my backpack, hiking shoes, socks, sleeping bag - so I've got a start at least now! Can't wait although have to admit to feeling some anxiety and fear - perhaps those are 2 things I can leave behind on my Camino:)... I've already taken my first snow packed, cold hike here in central NY with my new shoes, now I'll spending the upcoming 7 weeks preparing as best as possible.

One thing I'll do some research on is getting from Madrid to SJPP. I was originally thinking bus to Pamplona and spending the night at Pension Corazon Puro as I've heard great things about that but unfortunately they do not open until a few days after I'll be arriving, March 27th. So that being the case I'm thinking I'll be spending Sunday night in SJPP and starting my Camino on Monday morning. I arrive in Madrid at 6:20 a.m. so I should have the day to make my way over to SJPP. Will I have any problems with transportation being that its a Sunday? I'm sure there's good info here on this forum and I'll start taking a look but thought I'd get some initial feedback here...
congrats on booking the flight and getting ready !
since you mentioned your time frame is late March - i'd like to point out that you'd be arriving in time of Holy Week. a big event week in a catholic country ... - at least when i lived in one. That sometimes affects, eh, probably will ... shop opening times/days etc. Palm Sunday is March 29th - .... and Easter Sunday April 5th (Easter Monday usually stores/banks are closed as well) I loved the processions and festivities of Holy Week / Semana Santa
http://www.spain-holiday.com/blog/holy-week-in-spain-semana-santa.php
http://www.donquijote.org/culture/spain/society/holidays/semana-santa
not sure though if the northern areas celebrate like the southern areas.
buen camino -- lovely time for being there.

From one runner to another, please remember that running and walking are two totally different things. Take it from a (problemfree) runner who got enormous legtroubles while walking the Frances.

Before my first camino, i was (and still am) superfit and really thought...pffff...its just walking.....boy o boy i could not have been more wrong. I had shinsplints on both legs, 40 million blisters and got to a point where i literally could not walk anymore. I was flabbergasted....i run everyday, long distances and never ever have had any problems and now im just going for a walk and.....wtf!!! :)

Dont underestimate the difference like i did. Being fit and being problemfree have nothing to do with eachother.

I wish you a problemfree walk :)

From one runner to another, please remember that running and walking are two totally different things. Take it from a (problemfree) runner who got enormous legtroubles while walking the Frances.

Before my first camino, i was (and still am) superfit and really thought...pffff...its just walking.....boy o boy i could not have been more wrong. I had shinsplints on both legs, 40 million blisters and got to a point where i literally could not walk anymore. I was flabbergasted....i run everyday, long distances and never ever have had any problems and now im just going for a walk and.....wtf!!! :)

Dont underestimate the difference like i did. Being fit and being problemfree have nothing to do with eachother.

I wish you a problemfree walk :)

Thank you Dutch - yes I'm beginning to realize that. I've been trying to work in my hiking shoes by walking with them. Do you have any advice on training - did you give up your running to train and just walk ? At this point I'm kind of mixing in walking some days and keeping my running going on other days. Not sure if this is the best way to go about it or if I should just focus on walking at this point - my camino starts in 6 weeks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
congrats on booking the flight and getting ready !
since you mentioned your time frame is late March - i'd like to point out that you'd be arriving in time of Holy Week. a big event week in a catholic country ... - at least when i lived in one. That sometimes affects, eh, probably will ... shop opening times/days etc. Palm Sunday is March 29th - .... and Easter Sunday April 5th (Easter Monday usually stores/banks are closed as well) I loved the processions and festivities of Holy Week / Semana Santa
http://www.spain-holiday.com/blog/holy-week-in-spain-semana-santa.php
http://www.donquijote.org/culture/spain/society/holidays/semana-santa
not sure though if the northern areas celebrate like the southern areas.
buen camino -- lovely time for being there.

thanks amorfati1:) - Yes I'm so looking forward to spending Holy Week and Easter in Spain. Not sure what to expect but I plan on taking in as much as I can - I'll check out your links:)

Thank you Dutch - yes I'm beginning to realize that. I've been trying to work in my hiking shoes by walking with them. Do you have any advice on training - did you give up your running to train and just walk ? At this point I'm kind of mixing in walking some days and keeping my running going on other days. Not sure if this is the best way to go about it or if I should just focus on walking at this point - my camino starts in 6 weeks!

The most important thing.....make sure that what you have on your feet is the very best combination of shoes and socks that work for you.

Walking like you do on the camino was new to me and being as fit as i am, i underestimated it. What i did do, because it was new to me, i listened and took advice from people that i thought knew what they were talking about and had walked/hiked before.
Because of this advice i bought boots and socks that ended being my worst enemy. I never wore boots, never had boots or wool hiking socks, dual layers, liners ect.
After buying them and working them in i got doubts and several times i thought, why not bring my runnning shoes? But i didn't. I still listened to the advice of the experienced walkers.
Long story short(er), if i brought my light airy runners instead of non flexible too heavy boots i would have never had those problems. And so i did on my next walks. Now i found the perfect combination of shoes and socks (for me).
So be very sure that what you are wearing on the camino is the perfect fit for you. Boots, runners, sandals...it doesn't matter, but it really is the single most important thing you will bring.

Training for the camino? No, i dont. I still only run and never walk at home. The only thing i have changed in my workout schedule is that i have added excercises for my shin muscles, just to make them even stronger. I never, EVER, want that pain again....and the swelling and the... :)

The most important thing.....make sure that what you have on your feet is the very best combination of shoes and socks that work for you.

Walking like you do on the camino was new to me and being as fit as i am, i underestimated it. What i did do, because it was new to me, i listened and took advice from people that i thought knew what they were talking about and had walked/hiked before.
Because of this advice i bought boots and socks that ended being my worst enemy. I never wore boots, never had boots or wool hiking socks, dual layers, liners ect.
After buying them and working them in i got doubts and several times i thought, why not bring my runnning shoes? But i didn't. I still listened to the advice of the experienced walkers.
Long story short(er), if i brought my light airy runners instead of non flexible too heavy boots i would have never had those problems. And so i did on my next walks. Now i found the perfect combination of shoes and socks (for me).
So be very sure that what you are wearing on the camino is the perfect fit for you. Boots, runners, sandals...it doesn't matter, but it really is the single most important thing you will bring.

Training for the camino? No, i dont. I still only run and never walk at home. The only thing i have changed in my workout schedule is that i have added excercises for my shin muscles, just to make them even stronger. I never, EVER, want that pain again....and the swelling and the... :)

I agree with your point but the gist of your post comes over as not to follow the advice of those who recommend wearing boots with liner socks, etc. I disagree with you from a personal standpoint because I suffer from serious ankle and neuropathy issues in one foot and would probably not be able to walk the Camino without the support my boots give me. That being said I am 68 years old and have walked nearly 2000km on various Caminos and never suffered from shin splints, just saying.....;)....

I agree with your point but the gist of your post comes over as not to follow the advice of those who recommend wearing boots with liner socks, etc. I disagree with you from a personal standpoint because I suffer from serious ankle and neuropathy issues in one foot and would probably not be able to walk the Camino without the support my boots give me. That being said I am 68 years old and have walked nearly 2000km on various Caminos and never suffered from shin splints, just saying.....;)....

Actually, i am really saying to not follow anyonce advise just like that, when it comes to something as i portant as shoes.
Listen to experiences from others, yes absolutely, then filter what you think is usefull for you and then try. Try lots of different things. Runners, trailrunners, boots, socks, liners ect....whatever you want and then go with what you think feels good for YOU and not what somebody else tells you what might be right because: everyone wears this and that or because it might rain or because you might walk up a hill or.........ect ect.

Take you. You know you suffer from serious ankle and neuropathy issues, therfor you know you want a boot that gives support and you would never go with a simple runner merely because i or anybody else says so.
It is all about knowing yourself. You know yourself and you listen to yourself. I also know myself, but i listened to somebody else while i really should have listened to me, to my body. My bad....i payed for that and learned my lesson. Now i just hope that my lesson learned will prevent somebody else from making the same mistake.
I am hardheaded and stupid enough to not go home when i had all my troubles on the camino, but ive seen people go home for less amd thats a shame. So again, maybe my lesson learned will keep somebody from going home too early.

The book from Fr. Dave was what got me started on this too! He was one of the friars at Franciscan University of Steubenville when I was doing my undergraduate there and he was transferred to our study abroad location in Austria (where he left to do the Camino from when he did it later) the semester I did the (undergraduate) Study Abroad Program. I just think he is too funny (as in "really funny") and puts everything in amazing prospective. The Camino calls you. It will happen when it is supposed to happen.

The book from Fr. Dave was what got me started on this too! He was one of the friars at Franciscan University of Steubenville when I was doing my undergraduate there and he was transferred to our study abroad location in Austria (where he left to do the Camino from when he did it later) the semester I did the (undergraduate) Study Abroad Program. I just think he is too funny (as in "really funny") and puts everything in amazing prospective. The Camino calls you. It will happen when it is supposed to happen.
That's great Betty - I'm sure your study abroad with Fr. Dave must have been an amazing experience! Well my camino has called me loud and clear and I'm now 6 weeks away from it becoming a reality:)...

Well my time is fast approaching - in 4 weeks from tomorrow my first camino will start becoming a reality! My back pak is coming together but still need to complete it which is making me a bit anxious at this point. I've been working in my hiking shoes although with the coldest February on record here in Syracuse conditions have not been ideal for hiking with temps well below 0 F! I've discovered through REI the beauty of smartwool:) - have great socks and smart wool base layer which has come in handy shoveling snow here in Syracuse:)... Still trying to decide on my outer shell, rain coat, poncho, etc...

Question on my arrival into SJPP, I understand from researching on this forum that the pilgrims office can find you a place to stay when you arrive. Since I will probably be arriving in the evening on Sunday March 22nd will it even be open. Should I make a reservation ahead of time for my first night in SJPP? If so are there recommended places to stay? I've been looking at Gite Azzkoria, maison ziberoa and le chemin ver l'etoile... I arrive in Madrid early morning on March 22nd, plan on taking a bus or train to Pamplona and from their looks like my only option may be a taxi hoping there will be others to share the cost.

Question on my arrival into SJPP, I understand from researching on this forum that the pilgrims office can find you a place to stay when you arrive. Since I will probably be arriving in the evening on Sunday March 22nd will it even be open. Should I make a reservation ahead of time for my first night in SJPP? If so are there recommended places to stay? I've been looking at Gite Azzkoria, maison ziberoa and le chemin ver l'etoile...

The pilgrims office stays usually open until after the last bus/train has arrived, even on Sundays. There is a list of all albergues on the CF here in the forum resources section or have a look here: http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/trai...garoncesvalles/place/saint-jean-pied-de-port/
Buen Camino! SY

Since you will be arriving in Pamplona another possibility is to use the facilities of Barbara and Istvan at Corazon Puro. They will meet you in Pamplona, graciously feed and host you overnight, and trnsport you next day to either Roncesvalles or SJPdP. Read more comments here. See their web here.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Since you will be arriving in Pamplona another possibility is to use the facilities of Barbara and Istvan at Corazon Puro. They will meet you in Pamplona, graciously feed and host you overnight, and trnsport you next day to either Roncesvalles or SJPdP. Read more comments here. See their web here.
Yes that was definitely my first choice, I emailed Istvan but unfortunately I'm a few days too early as they open up on March 27th. I was able to contact Ivan from transporte.peregrinos@gmail.com and he can provide transportation so I'm hoping there will be others looking for a ride that may want to share the cost with me...

Thanks mspath, do you have a recommendation as far as where to stay in SJPP?

That is a really good deal at Corazon Puro. Wish i knew that before :)

Next time...

The info above from SYates is correct and most useful. I always stay at the municipal albergue which is managed by volunteers from the Pilgrim Office but they do not take reservations.

Well my time is fast approaching - in 4 weeks from tomorrow my first camino will start becoming a reality! My back pak is coming together but still need to complete it which is making me a bit anxious at this point. I've been working in my hiking shoes although with the coldest February on record here in Syracuse conditions have not been ideal for hiking with temps well below 0 F! I've discovered through REI the beauty of smartwool:) - have great socks and smart wool base layer which has come in handy shoveling snow here in Syracuse:)... Still trying to decide on my outer shell, rain coat, poncho, etc...

Question on my arrival into SJPP, I understand from researching on this forum that the pilgrims office can find you a place to stay when you arrive. Since I will probably be arriving in the evening on Sunday March 22nd will it even be open. Should I make a reservation ahead of time for my first night in SJPP? If so are there recommended places to stay? I've been looking at Gite Azzkoria, maison ziberoa and le chemin ver l'etoile... I arrive in Madrid early morning on March 22nd, plan on taking a bus or train to Pamplona and from their looks like my only option may be a taxi hoping there will be others to share the cost.
Good morning. We emailed the pilgrims office and they wrote back saying they stay open until 22.00 hours so you should be fine. We are also arriving late on the 31 March and wanted to make sure of their hours because we also need accomodation. They close for a few hours at noon. Maya

Good morning. We emailed the pilgrims office and they wrote back saying they stay open until 22.00 hours so you should be fine. We are also arriving late on the 31 March and wanted to make sure of their hours because we also need accomodation. They close for a few hours at noon. Maya

Thank you Maya appreciate the info!

The info above from SYates is correct and most useful. I always stay at the municipal albergue which is managed by volunteers from the Pilgrim Office but they do not take reservations.
The pilgrims office stays usually open until after the last bus/train has arrived, even on Sundays. There is a list of all albergues on the CF here in the forum resources section or have a look here: http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/trai...garoncesvalles/place/saint-jean-pied-de-port/
Buen Camino! SY

Thank you both for the info, appreciate it!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"I arrive in Madrid at 6:20 a.m. so I should have the day to make my way over to SJPP. Will I have any problems with transportation being that its a Sunday?"

I've been trying to research the same thing for that week. It appears that there's a daily bus from Pamplona to SJPP at 14:30. Arrives at 16:15.

http://www.conda.es/eventos.php?tipo=3&id=438

http://www.movelia.es/transicion_conda/venta.htm#

You can also catch a bus direct from Barajas airport to Pamplona. As I recall it's probably a 5+ hour ride. Might be dicey planning to get from Madrid to SJPP that first day, but who knows.

Originally I planned to fly in and out of Madrid. Right now it appears that I can fly into Bilbao and out of Vigos (returning to Boston) for only $1 more than the Madrid round trip.

Gosh, I hope it's easier on the Camino when I don't have to troubleshoot all these arrangements.

I'll let you solve all the puzzles DMSyracuse and I'll follow a day or so behind!

Dave

ALSA secrets revealed:

upload_2015-2-22_18-51-45.png

On March 1, a run starts at 1430.

On April 1, a run starts at 1730.

On June 1, a run starts at 1000.

On June 20, runs begin at 1100 and 1130.

Prices vary.

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-22_18-42-30.png
    upload_2015-2-22_18-42-30.png
    150.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that was definitely my first choice, I emailed Istvan but unfortunately I'm a few days too early as they open up on March 27th. I was able to contact Ivan from transporte.peregrinos@gmail.com and he can provide transportation so I'm hoping there will be others looking for a ride that may want to share the cost with me...

Really, anywhere. After all, it's the first day of your Camino and the day after you won't be able to choose much ;0) I've stayted at Etoile du Chemin - the Dutch outfit had given away my bed ;0( and I ended up in a beautiful old house. Breakfast not the best, seldom is it any good in albergues, but it was a bed and a shower after a long day. Enjoy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Buen camino!

You write so beautifully.

As Margareth (mspath) suggests, Istvan & Barbara at Corazon Puro is a very intelligent and pleasant choice. I recommend it.

ALSA secrets revealed:

View attachment 16568

On March 1, a run starts at 1430.

On April 1, a run starts at 1730.

On June 1, a run starts at 1000.

On June 20, runs begin at 1100 and 1130.

Prices vary.

Thank you Falcon269! I've been poking around but when I was looking it didn't look like they had service on Sunday March 22nd when I'll be arriving but from what you attached it looks like I just may be able to catch a bus after all.. We shall see I will make it to SJPP one way or another:)...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As Margareth (mspath) suggests, Istvan & Barbara at Corazon Puro is a very intelligent and pleasant choice. I recommend it.
Thanks alexwalker but unfortunately Istvan said he wouldn't be open until a few days after I arrive, my arrival date is Sunday March 22nd.

I've been trying to research the same thing for that week. It appears that there's a daily bus from Pamplona to SJPP at 14:30. Arrives at 16:15.

http://www.conda.es/eventos.php?tipo=3&id=438

http://www.movelia.es/transicion_conda/venta.htm#

You can also catch a bus direct from Barajas airport to Pamplona. As I recall it's probably a 5+ hour ride. Might be dicey planning to get from Madrid to SJPP that first day, but who knows.

Originally I planned to fly in and out of Madrid. Right now it appears that I can fly into Bilbao and out of Vigos (returning to Boston) for only $1 more than the Madrid round trip.

Gosh, I hope it's easier on the Camino when I don't have to troubleshoot all these arrangements.

I'll let you solve all the puzzles DMSyracuse and I'll follow a day or so behind!

Dave

haha yes I agree Dave these arrangements have been a challenge:) - I will see what I can do about solving the problems - buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well my time is nearing (March 21st departure!) so I thought I'd share my packing list so far and would appreciate any comments on what I'm lacking or what I should keep home:)!:

Shoes/Pack:
  • Osprey 48 Exos Pack
  • Merril Moab Waterproof Hiking Shoes
Clothing:
  • 1 pair of convertible pants/shorts
  • 1 pair of hiking pants
  • 1 pair of hiking shorts
  • Smartwool thermal base layer (top/bottom)
  • 1 long sleeve shirt
  • 2 short sleeve shirts
  • 1 merino wool hat
  • 1 REI outrigger bucket hat
  • 1 fleece
  • 1 wind jacket
  • 1 ferrino trekker poncho
  • 3 pairs of darn tough socks
  • 3 pairs of exofficio underwear

Misc:
  • REI sleeping bag
  • quickdry towel
  • headlamp
  • sunglasses
  • buff
  • guide book
  • plug adapter
  • waterproof container (passport, atm card, credit card, cash)
  • pillow case
  • glide
  • toiletries (soap, shampoo, contacts/solution, glasses, toothbrush/paste/floss, ibuprofen, deodorant, sunscreen, etc.)
  • shower sandals
  • salomon light trail shoes
  • toilet paper
  • earplugs
  • 2 camelback eddy water bottles

DM, that lists actually looks pretty good! I started out with more then that at 22 Lbs but by the time I made it to Pamplona last May, i had shed down to 18 Lbs. and it was very close to your list of items. I only had one pair of shorts and one pair of convertable pants. Two wicker shirts and three pair of XOfficio underwear. I washed just about every night so I would have clean Underwear and shorts/socks for the next day. You are really close if not there on your list...
What are you doing for rain protection? I elected to not use a poncho but rather a light weight Marmot rain jacket with hood and a lite trek umbrella. This system worked great except when the wind was blowing so hard that it would get inside my rain jacket and a poncho if you had one on....Buena Suerte.

Ed--From Da Cuse!!

DM, that lists actually looks pretty good! I started out with more then that at 22 Lbs but by the time I made it to Pamplona last May, i had shed down to 18 Lbs. and it was very close to your list of items. I only had one pair of shorts and one pair of convertable pants. Two wicker shirts and three pair of XOfficio underwear. I washed just about every night so I would have clean Underwear and shorts/socks for the next day. You are really close if not there on your list...
What are you doing for rain protection? I elected to not use a poncho but rather a light weight Marmot rain jacket with hood and a lite trek umbrella. This system worked great except when the wind was blowing so hard that it would get inside my rain jacket and a poncho if you had one on....Buena Suerte.

Ed--From Da Cuse!!
thanks Ed! As far as rain protection I ended up getting a Ferrino trekker poncho on Amazon just arrived this week, its pretty nice:) - fits nicely over my pak so we shall see how it performs on the trail!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well about 6 months ago I made this initial post and thought I'd finally check back in! On March 23rd I took my first step in SJPdP and on April 23rd I stood before the majestic Santiago Cathedral! I've been back over 2 months and not a day goes by that I don't think of the Camino, an unbelievable experience that will be part of me forever. There were ups and downs on my journey just like life, times I seriously doubted I could go on with major blister problems but the Camino always provided a path through for me. I look forward to the day when the Camino comes calling me again as my first Camino will not be my last....

I did blog my everyday experiences:
https://dam2015caminodesantiago.wordpress.com/

And attached is my celebratory moment with a couple of my fellow peregrine's:)...

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 11
Congrats DMSyracuse. Glad you reached Santiago, and were happy with the experience. Best wishes for wherever post-Camino life takes you!
Margaret

Well about 6 months ago I made this initial post and thought I'd finally check back in! On March 23rd I took my first step in SJPdP and on April 23rd I stood before the majestic Santiago Cathedral! I've been back over 2 months and not a day goes by that I don't think of the Camino, an unbelievable experience that will be part of me forever. There were ups and downs on my journey just like life, times I seriously doubted I could go on with major blister problems but the Camino always provided a path through for me. I look forward to the day when the Camino comes calling me again as my first Camino will not be my last....

I did blog my everyday experiences:
https://dam2015caminodesantiago.wordpress.com/

And attached is my celebratory moment with a couple of my fellow peregrine's:)...
Glad to hear that you made it safe and sound as I have been thinking and wondering how it all went for you. Congratulations are in order!!!!
Now that your back how about joining me for a hike at Highland forest? Welcome home. Ed

Thanks Ed! Joining you for a hike at Highland forest sounds great. Lets see if we can connect soon - I'm pretty much available these days so perhaps a nice morning hike in this next week or two would work...

I will
Thanks Ed! Joining you for a hike at Highland forest sounds great. Lets see if we can connect soon - I'm pretty much available these days so perhaps a nice morning hike in this next week or two would work...
I will PM you.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.