• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Amount of euros

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As to cheques, they are still widely used in France. In supermarkets some people pay by cheque relatively small purchases. I pay my GP by cheque and send a cheque to the company doing my garden.
And it still happens to me occasionally in the UK in a shop or restaurant that the machine does not recognise my French bank card and wants my signature.
+Japan
+HK
+Taiwan
+Seoul

Well, if I could pay my bills with cash, cash could be useful. But 90% of all bills (and all payroll) goes through the bank. So if everyone starts to pay me in cash, I have to deposit all that and pay hefty fees on it, it just suddenly isn’t that attractive anymore. Sure a small amount of cash on hand is fine, but money in the bank through a low fee European debit card payment is the cheapest way.

Cheques are sometimes still used in France but are more and more refused as they are expensive to cash (and unreliable to cash too). We’ve stopped accepting them years ago.

And these vital messages 🙄

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had initially only commented in this thread because a poster had referred to a comment I had made in an earlier thread.

As this question of paying by (credit) card versus paying by cash - when there is a choice between the two - is apparently sometimes viewed as a kind of moral / ethical dilemma and decision, I got a bit more curious.

We are talking about "interchange fees" here. Apparently, there is in fact a big difference between the USA and the EU/UK. Here is a quote from Wikipedia but you can find the same range of figures in other sources:

In the United States, the fee averages approximately 2% of transaction value. In the EU, interchange fees are capped to 0.3% of the transaction for credit cards and to 0.2% for debit cards, while there is no cap for corporate cards.
You can google for example Mastercard interchange if you wish to inform yourself better and in more detail about all this and about your chosen forms of payment in Spain. For example:

Ouf, I am relieved. As a holder of credit cards and debit cards issued by EU banks I will not hesitate to use these cards on Camino whenever I can and if and when I am in Spain again. My conscience is clear. 😇

As this question of paying by (credit) card versus paying by cash - when there is a choice between the two - is apparently sometimes viewed as a kind of moral / ethical dilemma and decision,
For me, I don’t see it as a moral or ethical dilemma, but for small business owners on the camino and elsewhere, I like to offer a choice when I can - it’s up to them to choose what they prefer 😎

+Japan
+HK
+Taiwan
+Seoul
If you like you can also hear China to the list, according to Google. I did say that I couldn't think of any others, but naturally that didn't mean that there weren't.
However on the flip side as far as countries that don't use them are concerned:
Finland stop writing checks in 1993, the Netherlands in 2002 and Poland in 2006. Germany, Belgium and Switzerland have also followed suit. Austria, Belarus,Czech republic, Hungary Latvia, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia Slovenia and Ukraine also do not accept cheques. I think it is fear to suggest that the vast majority of European transactions are now electronic.
New Zealand was phasing them out too, mainly because most people no longer use them - not sure if that process is complete yet.
In countries with fragmented banking systems such as the USA they're certainly useful. However they're exceptionally easy to Falicify.
The countries that have done away with them have done so predominantly because of the costs and time associated with processing them. Electronic systems on a whole are far faster, safer, more convenient and more accurate. I'm not saying they're not without their issues, of course they are. Predominantly because they're designed, programmed and operated by us humans!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When France, a country which prides itself (herself?) on the widely used digital systems, tried to finish with cheques there was a protest (a French speciality) and voilà, we have them still!!

When France, a country which prides itself (herself?) on the widely used digital systems, tried to finish with cheques there was a protest (a French speciality) and voilà, we have them still!!
You still have cheques in France but cheques issued by a French bank are useless in Spain: They are either not accepted or if they are the fee for cashing a cheque from another EU country will be extremely high.

The eurocheque system that ceased to exist in 2002 had the advantage that one could use these cheques for payment in other countries than one's own - I have used them for payment in retail stores in the UK and in France in the 1980s and 1990s, and presumably even on holidays in Spain. Oh well, most of you will never have heard of this and will not understand the feeling of nostalgia ... 😇

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Too late to read this now, but thank you! Will read tomorrow…
After having learned, with great difficulty, to work out adding up pounds, shillings and pence, I remember waiting in a supermarket queue the laments of old ladies complaining about the difficulties of doing the sums in this new system of what they had spent.

1971 I was bar-man, pot-man and general labour at the Red Lion, Draycott. “Ma” ran the place despite me. On decimation day I asked her how much to charge for a pint. Her reply 10 pence. I tried to explain but she couldn’t be bothered with all that. “My ciders 10 pence, it’s always been 10 pence, it’s still 10 pence”.

There were near riots in the bar that night. Much slamming down of tankards and storming out. Threats of boycott and worse. A couple of weeks later Ma remarked “dunno what all that fuss was. They’re all still drinking’ an there’s more money in my till than there’s ever been”.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.