• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Amount of euros

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I didn’t think albergues took credit cards.
There is a range of "albergues" - municipal, parroquial, donativo, private. Some will take credit cards, others won't, just like reservations. I start out with perhaps €300 and try to always keep 100 for emergencies. On recent trips I use my credit card whenever possible, so I don't need to withdraw cash very often.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€300, but rather than using a credit card consider using a debit card like Wise, and carrying your credit card as emergency backup and to top up the Wise card as and when needed.
It not add only adds another level of security for you but also it's better for the merchants ( very low merchant fees)
Two free ATM withdrawals a month (using the appropriate machines, remember the ATM fees are separate)

Apart from personal preference, in many ways the answer will be derived from three questions :

1) How much does it cost you each time to withdraw cash ? The more that costs you, the more you'll typically withdraw each time, so the more you'll carry.

2) Which Camino and which part of it -- i.e. how often will you need to make cash rather than card purchases due to better or worse network connections there ?

3) What is the typical distance in days between ATM machines ?

I've found on the Francès and Português (and in most of Portugal BTW) and in France I need not much more than €25-€50 on me for spot purchases ; but on other Caminos in Spain €50 is a minimum.

Apart from personal preference, in many ways the answer will be derived from three questions :

1) How much does it cost you each time to withdraw cash ? The more that costs you, the more you'll typically withdraw each time, so the more you'll carry.

2) Which Camino and which part of it -- i.e. how often will you need to make cash rather than card purchases due to better or worse network connections there ?

3) What is the typical distance in days between ATM machines ?

I've found on the Francès and Português (and in most of Portugal BTW) and in France I need not much more than €25-€50 on me for spot purchases ; but on other Caminos in Spain €50 is a minimum.
Indeed!!

In Spain there is a fixed fee for a withdrawal (ranging from (0 to €7) as opposed to some other parts of the world where you pay a %age of the amount withdrawn albeit with a minimum charge threshold. You may want to get money at the ATM that offers zero fees (such as Deutsche Bank) (but they are only in major towns and cities) but of course you do not want to end ip with too much left to change back as ‘the spread’ (the difference between the buying and selling rate) can be 20c in the € in many places !!

What country do you carry cards from … assume USA or Canada?

I avoid cash like the plague but you will need some as above!!!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The amount you carry is up to you but agree 200€+ - small businesses often prefer cash, for obvious reasons .. in France it is illegal not to offer a cash option on any purchases.

But - split your cash into two ... an available 'visible' daily amount and your main cash hidden away, again, for obvious reasons
and, don't rely on the cash machine you have heard about for the next day as it might not be working when you get there, so always carry enough cash to get you through the next week at least.

If you do use a card in a cafe or similar don't let it out of your sight - as in, don't let them take it away to their counter machine, go with it - I had my card cloned this way a few years ago on Camino.

You probably already know this but choose which cards you use for taking out cash in Spain carefully as some hit you with big charges, so research that.
Also, using a card? Always choose the pay in Euros option and not the 'your currency' option as their rate is always bad and the actual bank transfer from Euros will always be a better rate.

On average I carry about 250€ and use my UK JaJa card as there are no transaction fees (I only use it abroad and also keep the credit limit on that down to a low £750 in case it is stolen).

Hope this helps.

Most don't.
You didn't say what type of accommodation you were planning to use.
So that will factor into how much cash you need per day.
I try to stay in public albergues as much as possible to experience the Camino. I will stay in a private every 3-4 days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'd carry 50 visible, 250 non. But I'm going on a less popular Way.

I have to admit, when I read "stay in public albergues as much as possible to experience the Camino," I coughed a bit.

John, if you're walking the Camino to be in community with others, then yes, that's the "experience" you're looking for, I guess. Just keep an open mind for what you *may* experience...and know that that's not the reason some of your fellow pilgrims are there.

In Spain there is a fixed fee for a withdrawal (ranging from (0 to €7) as opposed to some other parts of the world where you pay a %age of the amount withdrawn albeit with a minimum charge threshold.
This is what most members of this forum will experience, but pilgrims from some parts of the world having less robust financial agreements with Spain may experience a fairly high fixed charge, plus some %. One South American pilgrim I met in 2021 or 2022 told me it was about €50 charge for him each time, so that he withdrew only rarely, and a lot of cash when doing so.
What country do you carry cards from … assume USA or Canada?
Mine's French, so fewer problems than most. At Abanca it's even zero charge for me, though I gather that for most pilgrims that place has higher ATM withdrawal fees than others.

This is what most members of this forum will experience, but pilgrims from some parts of the world having less robust financial agreements with Spain may experience a fairly high fixed charge, plus some %. One South American pilgrim I met in 2021 or 2022 told me it was about €50 charge for him each time, so that he withdrew only rarely, and a lot of cash when doing so.

Mine's French, so fewer problems than most. At Abanca it's even zero charge for me, though I gather that for most pilgrims that place has higher ATM withdrawal fees than others.
Thank you. Very useful. Is that a bank charge or a vendor charge? . Yes I get charged a high fee at bank transactions in say Argentina, but my vendor transactions with bus companies in Argentina don’t attract a fee from the vendor, which leaves it up to me to use a UK bank that’s doesn’t charge a fees for international purchases.

To be clear I am not taking at all about ATM withdrawal.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you. Very useful. Is that a bank charge or a vendor charge? . Yes I get charged a high fee at bank transactions in say Argentina, but my vendor transactions with bus companies in Argentina don’t attract a fee from the vendor, which leaves it up to me to use a UK bank that’s doesn’t charge a fees for international purchases.

To be clear I am not taking at all about ATM withdrawal.
Sorry i totally replied to wrong thread!!!! I was taking Alsa - sorry for confusion!!!

I've been a massive fan of Revolut for the last 5+ years, but I do recall when in Spain at Easter that I was getting charged to withdraw from banks than I never used to.
On my road trips in NW SPain I carry zero cash pretty much, although there were the odd places who required it which meant a scramble down the back of the seats in the car.
I'm expecting the Camino to be different though, so will definitely be carrying some float. I'm thinking particularly of things like stopping for coffees that doesn't cost much (when travelling solo) and the fact I do like to leave a tip where applicable. Also I'm guessing Donativo's will probably be cash only given their nature.

€300, but rather than using a credit card consider using a debit card like Wise, and carrying your credit card as emergency backup and to top up the Wise card as and when needed.
It not add only adds another level of security for you but also it's better for the merchants ( very low merchant fees)
Two free ATM withdrawals a month (using the appropriate machines, remember the ATM fees are separate)
Peter, how exactly does this card work in Spain? Is it generally accepted at places that accept Mastercard or Visa? Is it something that merchants recognize? Thanks for the information. Aymarah

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
How many euros do you carry while on the Camino?
A question answered by many. Ill be starting my 5th Camino in a few days and I’m the first one a decade ago we determined part way through that walk that having about €200 cash as our target. We liked to pay by cash to all the small businesses along the way so they don’t incur extra costs from credit card payments. From my perspective it has seemed to work well. It was easy to top up if needed because ATMs are readily available in many places. My approach was to always use ATMs at banks for reasons of security. Hope this helps.

I'm a retired police detective. I saw lots of credit card fraud charges made from cloned accounts originate in Spain. I plan to us euros and just use my card for ATMs. I also plan to rely mostly on cash. I'll plan to carry about 500 euros even at the risk for theft. It's a finite amount and I'll spread it out. Credit card fraud while you're in a foreign country with an ocean between you and your bank just sounds like no fun at all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
1000. Cash is king on the Camino.
WAY too much. Cash WAS King , it is no longer, as per previous threads in the last couple of months on this subject. In two weeks on the Primitivo I spent €200, including giving my share of meals to others so they could pay with card .
Peter, how exactly does this card work in Spain? Is it generally accepted at places that accept Mastercard or Visa? Is it something that merchants recognize? Thanks for the information. Aymarah
It’s a debit card, meaning anywhere they accept cards it’s accepted. Much lower fee’s to the retailer’s - @Kathar1na advised 0.2% in a previous post- I.e 2 Cents for a €10 purchase.
It’s affiliated to Visa, meaning that you can use it as a Visa card online, for example Booking.com. It’s limited to the funds that you currently have on it.
I - and others - have posted about it on numerous occasions, many of us on here use it .
As I have posted elsewhere, I always wear a hidden money belt (a habit of 35+ years) with the bulk of my cash, and my credit card. NEVER accessed in public.
The Wise card can be topped up in moments using your credit card and their App. Or in two-three days from your bank account. You convert the currency when you transfer it, and their rate’s are generally very good indeed. I only ever load a maximum of €500, unless I’m using it for a major purchase- it’s an added level of security. (I now use it for my occasional online purchase’s in normal life).
Should you be travelling onwards you can have multiple currencies loaded, for example I have sterling and Norwegian kronor in addition to the Euro. It automatically draws on the appropriate account, or you can use up the rest in your next port of call .
You can see your purchase’s and your balance on the app.
I’m not crazy about tech and related apps etc but this is one item I love!

I'm a retired police detective. I saw lots of credit card fraud charges made from cloned accounts originate in Spain. I plan to us euros and just use my card for ATMs. I also plan to rely mostly on cash. I'll plan to carry about 500 euros even at the risk for theft. It's a finite amount and I'll spread it out. Credit card fraud while you're in a foreign country with an ocean between you and your bank just sounds like no fun at all.
Spent a few months in a Credit card fraud team many years ago. Couldn’t agree more, hence why I use the above ⬆️. An added level of security and minimises the risk of actual theft, as I carry less cash, in three separate locations. Plus of course, should they have a skimmer on ATM, they can only access the funds on the Wise card, and not wipe out mycredit card!
Incidentally, you can block it via the App in a moment, unlock it again when you want to use it.

Thank you for sharing that .. good to have an inside track from someone in the know. I guess frausters are always one step ahead!!! Someone bought a kitchen on my tab in Carson City whilst I was asleep in Spain once!!

I don’t have a credit card and am from UK but quite a few things I can do in my app to help protect myself. I guess all banks are different but based on UK Monzo…

1 Keep a low balance on yr active’ card.

2. Limit the value of any single contactless payment. Mine is £30 but can go up to £100.

3. Specify how often you want to have to enter your PIN when using card in a shop. So when my contactless use totals £100 (irrespective of number of transactions) I have to enter my PIN. I can go up to £200.

4. Freeze your card straight after an ATM withdrawal straight after use. A must for me in many parts of the world though I am more relaxed in Europe. Of course you will forget to ‘unfreeze’ your card and payment will be declined when buying a coffee with 10 irate folks behind you tutting, but a small price to pay!!

I guess above helps and better than nothing!

Last edited:
Since I go for a month, I take 1200 euros so I don't have to use the ATM. Unless you withdraw from your account through debit card, it is a loan and subject to interest charges. Don't use a CC to get money. It's a loan.
I would never use my CC to withdraw from an ATM. I regularly use my Schwab debit card to make ATM withdrawals so that I'm not carrying a ton of cash. All of my ATM fees are refunded by Schwab, so I tend to only withdraw between €60 - €160 at a time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I didn’t think albergues took credit cards.
There has been a lot of discussions on the Forum about the usage of CCs. I use them, if anything i use them back home so that is the preferred method of payment for me (yes I know all the pros and cons but "its my camino" you know... ;))
Anyways - be it an albergue, a restaurant, a cafe - anything - you can always ask "Tarjeta, si?" and if the answer is NO then you know you have to pay cash.
You'd be surprised how many times it is actually a positive.

I'm going to guess that probably 85% of my Camino was done via CC.
That said - those times that i did hit ATMs it was around 200Euros\withdrawal. I use the same method as @trecile described above (Charles Schwab debit card)

Good luck & Buen Camino

There has been a lot of discussions on the Forum about the usage of CCs. I use them, if anything i use them back home so that is the preferred method of payment for me (yes I know all the pros and cons but "its my camino" you know... ;))
Anyways - be it an albergue, a restaurant, a cafe - anything - you can always ask "Tarjeta, si?" and if the answer is NO then you know you have to pay cash.
You'd be surprised how many times it is actually a positive.

I'm going to guess that probably 85% of my Camino was done via CC.
That said - those times that i did hit ATMs it was around 200Euros\withdrawal. I use the same method as @trecile described above (Charles Schwab debit card)

Good luck & Buen Camino
Nothing wrong with using a CC, but taking money out on a CC is a loan and you pay very high rates. Cheaper to get a proper loan if you haven’t got the immediate funds in bank in most cases!

Agreed but then - THAT has nothing to do with Camino per se. Anytime anyone takes out cash on the CC no matter where one is - it is a 'loan' with very high interest.
As I said - for cash withdrawals I use Charles Schwab debit card. No issues there once-so-ever. Used it on Camino and other countries. Any fees are promptly refunded.

I came from the US with 700 euro; split between me and my son. I kept a change purse with 50 to 100 + my credit card in the waste belt of my rucksack. I "locked" the remainer away with my passport in a travel pouch that I kept in the top portion of my rucksack. I stayed in private rooms/hostals, with the exception of 1 night in a public albergue. Each night, I would "replenish" my change purse and fold each bill separately with the note exposed so I could easily tell if I was grabbing a 5 or 10 euro note. In my mind it kept me from exposing the true amount of cash I had in the change purse. I opened a Capital One checking account and funded it specifically for my trip since they don't charge ATM fees, my usual bank would have charged me all kinds of fees were I to use it. We were in Spain for 15 days, and I never once had to use the ATM.

I did run into a few establishments that didn't take credit cards so having large notes did come in handy.

Bob

Nothing wrong with using a CC, but taking money out on a CC is a loan and you pay very high rates. Cheaper to get a proper loan if you haven’t got the immediate funds in bank in most cases!
Also we are taking tangibles here. I know several folks here who actually load up their credit card pre trip so when they open their bill when they get home it says $0 not $2000. Obviously giving your CC company money in advance free of charge makes no sense at all financially but I totally get the mindset! Waking up to a $0 bill is a great moment!

I opened a Capital One checking account and funded it specifically for my trip since they don't charge ATM fees, my usual bank would have charged me all kinds of fees were I to use it. We were in Spain for 15 days, and I never once had to use the ATM.

I did run into a few establishments that didn't take credit cards so having large notes did come in handy.

Bob
Hmmm... I have multiple CapOne accounts and I was always told by them that you pull cash out - you'll get hit with ATM fees. Perhaps I'll revisit the issue with them
Meanwhile - @hokiebobwise - if you are saying you never had to use ATMs then how do you know that there are no ATM fees? If CapOne does not charge fees for ATM withdrawal at home (i.e. US) that is a different thing than using ATMs abroad, right?

Hmmm... I have multiple CapOne accounts and I was always told by them that you pull cash out - you'll get hit with ATM fees. Perhaps I'll revisit the issue with them
Meanwhile - @hokiebobwise - if you are saying you never had to use ATMs then how do you know that there are no ATM fees? If CapOne does not charge fees for ATM withdrawal at home (i.e. US) that is a different thing than using ATMs abroad, right?
Correct, no fees from Capital One but you weren't protected from the ATM bank charging a fee. Truist, my primary bank, wanted $5 + 2% for international ATM withdrawal. CapOne doesn't refund the fees and it is a checking only account. I looked at Schwab and in the fine print they were also going to open a brokerage account; this would have created a compliance problem for me (I work in the brokerage business) and therefore Schwab wasn't an option. I use the CapOne credit card. I'd always select to charge in Euros and I'd say I got a better conversion rate 50% of the time from the rate shown on the machine vs. what Capital One actually charged me.

I take 1200 euros so I don't have to use the ATM
One time, on the Portugues, I found a money belt with 450 euros lying in the middle of the path (and NO ID!). I thought to myself, "Why would someone carry so much cash?" Luckily, with the help of this forum and other social resources I was able to track down the unlucky peregrino. Let's just say Rafa is a friend for life now.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm guessing now with contactless payment cloning of cards must be less of an issue?

I'm guessing now with contactless payment cloning of cards must be less of an issue?
Hmmm. Another time (a sorta long time ago), while using conventional credit cards on the Camino, I came home and got my cc statement only to reveal a $5000 charge from an Airbnb in Germany. I did not go to Germany! Luckily, because, at least in the USA, CC companies seem to have nice fraud policies, the charge was erased from my account.

But since I've been using "Apple Pay", connected to both CCs and Debits, no fraud. You might be on to something here.

As I understand it, since the chips are virtually impossible to tamper with or clone, EMV cards are infinitely less vulnerable to counterfeit fraud than magnetic stripe cards
Or at least, the thieves haven't figured that one out yet....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I understand it, since the chips are virtually impossible to tamper with or clone, EMV cards are infinitely less vulnerable to counterfeit fraud than magnetic stripe cards
I use my phone (Google Pay) for contactless, so not a (physical)card in sight!

I use my phone (Google Pay) for contactless, so not a (physical)card in sight!
Now that raises a question for me. As I don't use that (yet) what do you do when the internet goes down? Or your battery is dead?
I must admit, the main reason I don't use it is that I've been one attempt away from locking myself out of my phone once ( on my first Camino). With flight's, accommodation bookings and all my contacts solely in the phone. I was very tired....
Broke my own rules.( Rule 3, always have info backed up. I did, but it was in my email account. No phone, no backup) Won't do that again!!

Now that raises a question for me. As I don't use that (yet) what do you do when the internet goes down? Or your battery is dead?
I must admit, the main reason I don't use it is that I've been one attempt away from locking myself out of my phone once ( on my first Camino). With flight's, accommodation bookings and all my contacts solely in the phone. I was very tired....
Broke my own rules.( Rule 3, always have info backed up. I did, but it was in my email account. No phone, no backup) Won't do that again!!
When the internet goes down? (um, it doesn't mostly, also, I think the need for an internet connection is the business itself, not your phone.) Still though I think Carry cash. Just not too much.

On 85 days walking the Camino earlier this year, using phone based transactions, never once had the issues you describe.

As far as your phone dying... that sounds like a personal issue. :)

I carry chip based cards too, just buried in hidden compartments in my pack. just in case. its so nice to have to never pull them out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You don't necessarily need the internet for it to work due to the logic it uses, I'm not sure how this works or what amount it would not allow this. Also, to accept contactless the establishment would need internet anyway.
Of course, if your battery runs out you have a problem, but then you would have prior warning of this and be able to plan accordingly.
Also my phone (not sure if same for everyone) you have to unlock the phone in order to use the contactless, so even if someone nabs your phone you are ok (unlike a physical card).
So a bit swings and roundabouts, but I think the phone wins.

As a German living in Sweden I must say I use phone based payment methods and card based payment methods (a German and a Swedish debit card and a German and a Swedish credit card). I also carry a small amount of cash with me. The latter serves as a last line of defense when actually the internet breaks down. Without Internet none of the cards would work either as shops and ATMs heavily rely on an internet connection to process withdrawals and non-cash payments.

Although there was like half a day internet downtime twice during the last 4 years, I actually never had to use my cash reserve though as in those couple of hours I was not in urgent need to buy something. I totally got used to a cash-free life.

The only time I really need to think cash again is when I travel abroad, such as in Germany or in Spain. Not easy to re-adjust then ;-)

And yes, for travel plans, tickets and the like I always carry a paper backup in case my phone breaks down...

Hmmm. Another time (a sorta long time ago), while using conventional credit cards on the Camino, I came home and got my cc statement only to reveal a $5000 charge from an Airbnb in Germany. I did not go to Germany! Luckily, because, at least in the USA, CC companies seem to have nice fraud policies, the charge was erased from my account.

But since I've been using "Apple Pay", connected to both CCs and Debits, no fraud. You might be on to something here.
And this is why I receive a text anytime my credit card is used. No need for a receipt, that could give things away, and easy to monitor budget and how much has been spent without having to log in to the credit card app. If my phone is stolen, they won't have the credit card information embedded in it.

And this is why I receive a text anytime my credit card is used. No need for a receipt, that could give things away, and easy to monitor budget and how much has been spent without having to log in to the credit card app. If my phone is stolen, they won't have the credit card information embedded in it.
Every time I use the phone for transactions, it needs to see my face to confirm identity.

Every time that a contactless payment is made, either with a card or phone, a unique "account number" is generated - this stops anyone from writing down your number and using it.
I mostly use my phone to make payments because it's usually easier to to get out of my bag. But I do have my card with me if I need to use the actual card.
And this is why I receive a text anytime my credit card is used.
I have my CC account set up to send me a text when a transaction is over a certain amount, is made outside of the US, or is an online payment. When I use Google Pay on my phone I also get a notification every time I use it.

I carry cash , rare do I use a card, never an ATM ( backup only ). There are various threads on amount required per day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Since I go for a month, I take 1200 euros so I don't have to use the ATM. Unless you withdraw from your account through debit card, it is a loan and subject to interest charges. Don't use a CC to get money. It's a loan.
My husband and I also take about 1200 euros each when we travel for a month. We have interior pockets sewn into our hiking pants and ankle wallets to hold our cash and have never had a problem. We each carry 25-50 daily that is accessible depending upon where we are and what we are planning for the day. We generally stay in private accommodations and pay cash rather than use a card.

My husband and I also take about 1200 euros each when we travel for a month. We have interior pockets sewn into our hiking pants and ankle wallets to hold our cash and have never had a problem. We each carry 25-50 daily that is accessible depending upon where we are and what we are planning for the day. We generally stay in private accommodations and pay cash rather than use a card.
Can I ask why you carry all that cash and don’t use a card?

Can I ask why you carry all that cash and don’t use a card?
I prefer to pay in cash even here in the US. I do have both credit and debit cards with no foreign transaction fees, but only use them if necessary. I have found that even in small family hotels they prefer cash to cards. I also don't feel anxious if I am in a very rural area with ATM machines few and far between. I have never felt unsafe carrying cash- except for when our backpacks go through security, and then our cash is in an interior pocket. Given that I just saw a video of TSA stealing money from bags I may have to rethink this idea!! :( 🥾

Yes, I also took enough so I did not have to use an ATM at all. One my third day walking, heading into Pamplona a fellow I met stopped at a ATM. He got charged 7.50 Euros. "That's 3 or 4 Beer".

There seems to be a bit of a difference between European (mainland?) users and overseas? Maybe a difference in banking systems? I hardly ever carry more than 20-50 euro in cash. Maybe 100 if I know accomodation needs to be paid in cash. I pay contactless with my debit card wherever I can. I do have a CC for backup (on my phone).

Cash is not free for businesses either (at least not here in CH and FR), most banks charge for cash (either taken out or deposited). Generally debit card payments come cheaply and means money safely in the bank (no risk of being burgled), and that's where the payments go out from too.

And please don't pay small amounts with a big note. Today I refused someone a 3,50 payment when he wanted to pay with a 200 note (that we very rarely see).

There seems to be a bit of a difference between European (mainland?) users and overseas? Maybe a difference in banking systems? I hardly ever carry more than 20-50 euro in cash. Maybe 100 if I know accomodation needs to be paid in cash. I pay contactless with my debit card wherever I can. I do have a CC for backup (on my phone).

Cash is not free for businesses either (at least not here in CH and FR), most banks charge for cash (either taken out or deposited). Generally debit card payments come cheaply and means money safely in the bank (no risk of being burgled), and that's where the payments go out from too.

And please don't pay small amounts with a big note. Today I refused someone a 3,50 payment when he wanted to pay with a 200 note (that we very rarely see).
I think attitudes vary for a high number of reasons nationality, age, travel experience, habit, etc. I wasn’t aware until I read it on here that many seemed to think that cash was free for companies to ‘process’. I have alot of friends who run small businesses (pubs, tattooists, cafes,etc) and they all tell me they prefer card payment for a whole raft of reasons. Business banking seems to have got cheaper in many countries as banks complete for even small business customers.

Credit cards seem very prevalent in USA and Canada but much less so in Europe. Most people I know don’t have one.

I was in USA a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a year or so and contactless does seem much more available but I was often asked for a PIN, and the whole ‘tipping/gratuity’ thing slows things down hugely anyway so very little ‘tap and go’. I don’t think I got any cash out at all in 6 weeks in Oz, and the UK rolls without cash in the main if that what the customer wants. Germany is quite poor in my view in card acceptance but I know they are lagging in IT spend anyway. My German mate got a lad of £s out on a recent visit to London and hardly spent any of it.

I don’t like the way that EU cash dispensers often give out €50 but most shops don’t seem to mind and I use a card any way. In the UK we avoid £50 as we get some looks if we try and use one!

Last edited:
Card transactions can be tracked- or compromised- cash cannot.
True, but with the new chip cards it's extremely hard - theoretically impossible (but I'm always slightly sceptical) - for them to be compromised. And if somebody wants to track my transactions they're welcome to
- heck, when I'm on camino I post on here about what I'm doing anyway! And if my chip card is lost or stolen I can stop it using the app on my phone. Plus any transaction over 100 euro requires my PIN. Which only I know.
Once your €2000 in cash is stolen however.....

Most proper I know don’t have one.
Even assuming you mean 'people' I'm rather surprised. I know that several of my younger neighbors do but perhaps that's because they buy a s*** lot of stuff online. I can see I'm going to have to take a poll of my older neighbours. Mind you bearing in mind how much the Germans love their privacy I'm not sure how well that's going to go down, even coming from me.......
They've kind of gotten used to this weird Kiwi in their midst - barefoot in the street, always friendly, talks to anybody and everybody, offer's to help (without being asked !), insists on being called by his first name - but they still haven't gotten used to the questions....

Even assuming you mean 'people' I'm rather surprised. I know that several of my younger neighbors do but perhaps that's because they buy a s*** lot of stuff online. I can see I'm going to have to take a poll of my older neighbours. Mind you bearing in mind how much the Germans love their privacy I'm not sure how well that's going to go down, even coming from me.......
They've kind of gotten used to this weird Kiwi in their midst - barefoot in the street, always friendly, talks to anybody and everybody, offer's to help (without being asked !), insists on being called by his first name - but they still haven't gotten used to the questions....
Well it is a small sample size of my mates and not statistically significant and no doubt there will be many that do (esp the young folk)…in a past life I dabbled for work in this area and the credit card ownership in USA/ Canada was huge, France and Germany low and the Uk somewhere in between.

Contactless in Spain is growing hugely - I am in a small bar now and the debit card will be making an appearance!

For many online payments (even booking and some airlines) I don’t need a credit card here in CH, I can either pay with my debit card or use a system called TWINT (that I believe is unique to CH). I basically only have a cc for international travel.

For many online payments (even booking and some airlines) I don’t need a credit card here in CH, I can either pay with my debit card or use a system called TWINT (that I believe is unique to CH). I basically only have a cc for international travel.
I have always assumed you can use a debit card in exactly the same way as a credit card, payment wise? Is there any difference (I know there can be slightlly more ‘payment protection’ with a CC).

I would have said until recently that I preferred cash, for a variety of reasons; but here in the UK, contactless is almost ubiquitous. I think I’ve gone a couple of months with the same £200 in my wallet. The main use is for unrecorded transactions, which explains why governments the world over promote electronic banking.

Occasionally, cash is still king. Carpark payments in coins take seconds, contactless a couple of minutes (mobile reception here is rubbish which I think is partly responsible) and this evening whilst collecting a rare takeaway, a power-cut wiped out both the restaurant (thankfully just as my order was ready) but also every payment option except cash.

I have always assumed you can use a debit card in exactly the same way as a credit card, payment wise? Is there any difference (I know there can be slightlly more ‘payment protection’ with a CC).
Correct - sorry I wasn't specific enough. I actually use a debit card (although I have for many years used my credit card prior to the arrival of the new more secure debit cards. Nowadays I carry it purely as a backup and so that I can load my debit card on the move, it also adds an extra level of security). Personally they are pretty much interchangeable for me but I appreciate the advantages to the retailer. And my debit card is actually a Wise card which I can load with multiple currencies giving me additional benefits.
As pointed out above the advantage to the retailer of a debit card is that it is considerably cheaper than a credit card. However as @TravellingMan22 points out our North American brethren tend to utilize credit cards.
Either way it's not cash....

:::chuckle::: All I can say is that, in these little places along the Primitivo, cash is greatly preferred. Sometimes cards aren't taken, and sometimes you need a 10 euro minimum- which is a bit of a struggle when an entire breakfast costs 5 euro. And I've seen very little contactless/phone payments. To say nothing of the vending machines and laundries- almost all cash. But I don't carry many 50 euro notes. either.

:::chuckle::: All I can say is that, in these little places along the Primitivo, cash is greatly preferred. Sometimes cards aren't taken, and sometimes you need a 10 euro minimum- which is a bit of a struggle when an entire breakfast costs 5 euro. And I've seen very little contactless/phone payments. To say nothing of the vending machines and laundries- almost all cash. But I don't carry many 50 euro notes. either.
Believe me I'm certainly not saying that some cash isn't necessary . It's just that I've found that the days where you needed to carry cash for the entire stay have gone. My recent camino costly roughly 50 euros a day however I only spent 200 Euros in cash over the entire 16 days. (Around €12.50 a day). Mostly, as you rightly point out, in the smaller villages.

And frankly being the cautious person I am there's no way in hell I would ever carry a thousand Euros cash even in my old days of travel. Back then that's what traveller's cheques were for. Nowadays we have cards.

Correct - sorry I wasn't specific enough. I actually use a debit card (although I have for many years used my credit card prior to the arrival of the new more secure debit cards. Nowadays I carry it purely as a backup and so that I can load my debit card on the move, it also adds an extra level of security). Personally they are pretty much interchangeable for me but I appreciate the advantages to the retailer. And my debit card is actually a Wise card which I can load with multiple currencies giving me additional benefits.
As pointed out above the advantage to the retailer of a debit card is that it is considerably cheaper than a credit card. However as @TravellingMan22 points out our North American brethren tend to utilize credit cards.
Either way it's not cash....
I have to pick up my car from the repair shop today- I will bring cash or write a check to the shop. They are not charged extra for depositing either. If I choose to use a debit or credit card I will have to pay 3% more for the repair as that is what the bank charges the shop for the transaction. Many small business here now are not "eating" the bank charges and have signs near the register that tell you that card transactions will cost 3-4% more depending upon the bank they are using for their business. I meet more people every day that are paying cash.

True, but with the new chip cards it's extremely hard - theoretically impossible (but I'm always slightly sceptical) - for them to be compromised. And if somebody wants to track my transactions they're welcome to
- heck, when I'm on camino I post on here about what I'm doing anyway! And if my chip card is lost or stolen I can stop it using the app on my phone. Plus any transaction over 100 euro requires my PIN. Which only I know.
Once your €2000 in cash is stolen however.....
I have to disagree. I have had cards compromised several times, (One of the reasons for carrying cash!) As far as tracking my transactions there are some that I prefer to keep private and for that reason I use cash. I have never felt unsafe carrying cash- a thief would have to strip us to our birthday suits to find our money. In the unlikely event I need more cash than the 25-50 Euros that we carry each day that is more easily accessible then I would use the ladies facilities and remove it from the ankle wallet. (Which can only be taken off by removing my shoe or foot! 🥾

For cashing large notes in Spain, which are generally given to me when I make a withdrawal at a cash machine; I cannot choose the denomination of those bills, I have found that I can purchase something in a grocery store, paying with a bill. So far, many Spaniards buy their food with cash, which accummulates in the cash drawer. So far, I have had no problem doing this.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wasn’t aware until I read it on here that many seemed to think that cash was free for companies to ‘process’. I have alot of friends who run small businesses (pubs, tattooists, cafes,etc) and they all tell me they prefer card payment for a whole raft of reasons. Business banking seems to have got cheaper in many countries as banks complete for even small business customers.
I admit to being someone who has always thought that cash was preferable for small retail. We are well aware of the cut that banks take for plastic transactions (not from the customer, from the retailer) but this is the first I've ever heard of a charge for depositing cash. The fact that a number of small retailers will post signs saying that cards are not accepted at all for transactions under a minimum size reinforces that impression.

For cashing large notes in Spain, which are generally given to me when I make a withdrawal at a cash machine;
In order to get a couple of smaller bills I withdraw amounts like €180, €240, etc. There are some machines (I can't remember which bank though) that will give you a choice of type of notes you receive.

In order to get a couple of smaller bills I withdraw amounts like €180, €240, etc. There are some machines (I can't remember which bank though) that will give you a choice of type of notes you receive.
Indeed. A few do. Sabadell offered me that a few days back though they still ‘enforced’ a €50 on me!!!

Think the choice for a withdrawal of €140 with a.€1.80 fee was - 1) 2 x 50, 2 x 20 or 2) 1 x 50, 4 x 20 and 1 x 10!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I admit to being someone who has always thought that cash was preferable for small retail. We are well aware of the cut that banks take for plastic transactions (not from the customer, from the retailer) but this is the first I've ever heard of a charge for depositing cash. The fact that a number of small retailers will post signs saying that cards are not accepted at all for transactions under a minimum size reinforces that impression.
No problem. I think it varies by retailer. Obvious benefits to ‘cash in hand ’ for some sectors, say taxis. Pubs, bars, where staff turnover is high and pilferage can be high, I guess it needs to be weighed up. ‘Cashing up’ can be a longish job and the owner may have to pay staff for that. Loads of factors really!!

I guess I tend to avoid ‘cash only ‘ operators if I can all other things being equal.

I have to disagree. I have had cards compromised several times, (One of the reasons for carrying cash!) As far as tracking my transactions there are some that I prefer to keep private and for that reason I use cash. I have never felt unsafe carrying cash- a thief would have to strip us to our birthday suits to find our money. In the unlikely event I need more cash than the 25-50 Euros that we carry each day that is more easily accessible then I would use the ladies facilities and remove it from the ankle wallet. (Which can only be taken off by removing my shoe or foot! 🥾
Each to their own and if you like cash… go for it!! I guess I carry ‘funds’ and cards in an overseas country exactly as I do in my home country. No difference whatsoever. Only a country with a very different financial structure, ie Argentina, would make me change.

Two debit cards for banks that won’t charge me a fee, one locked down and only used for transferring to my primary card which I also lock after taking cash out for a period of time. I get a small float of cash out for when I may need it. Then there is Apple Pay.

I have never heard of ankle wallets I must admit and folks sewing secrets compartment into their clothes but it sounds impressive!!!

Anyway, make sure you are aware of all the functionality that can support security on your banking app.

I have to pick up my car from the repair shop today- I will bring cash or write a check to the shop. They are not charged extra for depositing either. If I choose to use a debit or credit card I will have to pay 3% more for the repair as that is what the bank charges the shop for the transaction. Many small business here now are not "eating" the bank charges and have signs near the register that tell you that card transactions will cost 3-4% more depending upon the bank they are using for their business. I meet more people every day that are paying cash.
I assume from your spelling of cheque that you are probably American or Canadian. (Especially as I can't think of anywhere else other than Britain and Australia that's still using cheques.)

But we’re talking about Spain.
As @Kathar1na posted elsewhere, the cost for a DEBIT card Transaction in Spain is 0,2%, or just 2 cents for every €10. Which is why Spaniards now use them so freely.
Please note as others have mentioned elsewhere this is a RECENT and rapidly growing trend i.e in the last two or three years ( since covid).

A CREDIT card is considerably higher , at around 6 or even 7%, depending on the bank

I think you missed this:
“True, but with the new chip cards it's extremely hard - theoretically impossible (but I'm always slightly sceptical) - for them to be compromised.”
Older card’s were indeed often compromised.

And as to your point about them having to strip you, believe me, in some countries (NO, I’m NOT talking about Spain), that’s exactly what they might do. They know all of our ‘tricks’ - many will even know more than I, and believe me I have researched this extensively because I've travelled extensively. They check all obvious places - waist, neck, foot etc. If you're lucky they won't wrench/ cut your foot removing the foot wallet.
But I admit that in Spain it's a reasonable precaution and highly effective. Robberies in Spain are extremely rare -especially of pilgrims. The vast majority of loses are simply opportunistic thefts and in that regard you're protecting yourself well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
But we’re talking about Spain.
Well, some of you are talking about Spain ... others believe that payment systems and payments habits in Spain and in other European countries are the same as they know them from their own home country.

Since @Peterexpatkiwi referred to a post I made earlier on this forum: I don't recall the reference website that I provided in this post but out of curiosity I did another quick Google search today. A good overview of the costs that are involved for payment by card for small retail shops and similar in 2023 can be read here: click here. The website is in German but the costs are typical for retail shops in other European countries such as Spain. The cheapest version - payment by what I'd call bank card which is a form of debit card and what people most commonly use today - is indeed a modest fee ranging from 0,23% to 1,39% of the price for goods or services.

Note that the costs depend on the kind of card: EC cards or Girocards; [other] debit cards; credit cards. Note: We use different kinds of debit cards with different cost structures. The article also mentions this: Bringing cash to your bank – this costs fees at almost every bank these days.

I noticed that @Peterexpatkiwi specifically referred to the "new chip cards" and their safety features. Other posters disagree with his comment. I don't want to single anyone out but when you habitually write cheques, or when you use credit cards that do not work with the Roncesvalles website or the Renfe website, or when you are surprised that an albergue or hotel asks you to make a bank transfer to confirm and pay for your booking, then you are not overly familiar with payment systems and payment habits in European countries and your card is unlikely to have the safety features that the cards have that @Peterexpatkiwi refers to and that are in common use in our part of the world.

For what it is worth: I have not issued a cheque during the last twenty years. My (EU) banks no longer issue paper cheques. The practice of issuing the once widely used EC cheques ceased in January 2002. If a tradesperson or a retail shop would suggest to me today that I pay in cash instead of by card or bank transfer for anything say above €50 I would assume that the reason is tax evasion.

For what it is worth: I have not issued a cheque during the last twenty years.
It did not even occur to me to mention this: Within Europe, I have not signed a paper slip for a credit card payment during the last twenty years or so. In recent years I don't even recall that I handed my debit card or my credit card (which I rarely use for payment in retail shops, hotels or restaurants anyway) over to anyone. I keep it and expect to be presented with a handheld terminal or similar and that's how all my payments are made.

As to the OP's question: the amount of euros I'd carry on the Camino is the same as the maximum amount of cash I get from an ATM in daily life: €250-€300. And I have rarely more than €50-€100 in my wallet. On the Camino, I'd put the rest of the cash somewhere else and in daily life I keep the rest of the cash somewhere in my house.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It did not even occur to me to mention this: Within Europe, I have not signed a paper slip for a credit card payment during the last twenty years or so. In recent years I don't even recall that I handed my debit card or my credit card (which I rarely use for payment in retail shops, hotels or restaurants anyway) over to anyone. I keep it and expect to be presented with a handheld terminal or similar and that's how all my payments are made.
Yes same here (UK cardholder). I guess most folks here are from the USA and based on my last visit a couple of weeks ago, it’s all quite convoluted, as they offer the bill, take payment in most cases by contactless, and then ask you to add a gratuity by writing on the bill and putting a total! The initial contactless payment seems to be the ‘base bill’ and they somehow add the gratuity separately! Some places you added the gratuity and ‘tapped’ a final total. So it’s quite manual and very much slower than most parts of Europe. It didn’t feel very secure!

Last edited:
There are fewer handheld terminals here in the US. The most common place to have a card compromised is in a restaurant because the card is taken from you to the register area- the card number and the security number on the back is written down and that is all it takes.

There are fewer handheld terminals here in the US. The most common place to have a card compromised is in a restaurant because the card is taken from you to the register area- the card number and the security number on the back is written down and that is all it takes.
But that has nothing to do with using cards in restaurants in Spain or elsewhere in the EU and the UK. While walking to Santiago, I used debit and/or credit cards whenever I could and I can't remember the last time my card was taken from me because it was decades ago. Or when the security number on the back was needed for payment in a restaurant, shop or hotel. Again, years ago.

And as I mentioned before: When paying by credit card on websites like the Roncesvalles albergue or the Spanish Railway RENFE, the security number on the back of credit cards is not used either. That's why US issued credit cards often don't work for these websites. These websites require and use more secure features which US issued cc are often missing while ours have them.

I have never felt unsafe carrying cash- a thief would have to strip us to our birthday suits to find our money.
Only slightly relevant to this thread but this sentence reminded me of a trip in North Africa when the world was still young. Our driver looked a bit nervous when I told him our destination: “if we’re lucky” he said “they’ll just strip us to our underwear and leave us some water. If we’re unlucky they’ll try and sell you a carpet…”

Only slightly relevant to this thread but this sentence reminded me of a trip in North Africa when the world was still young. Our driver looked a bit nervous when I told him our destination: “if we’re lucky” he said “they’ll just strip us to our underwear and leave us some water. If we’re unlucky they’ll try and sell you a carpet…”
Yet in Spain it is unlikely that being stripped to our birthday suits will happen walking a Camino in Spain!! (Although I can say that my husband and I would probably react very differently to the request. 😊🥾

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Returning to the original intention of the OP: How can I know? Are you staying in private places/municipals? Allergues requiering cash or hotels accepting cards?

As many have said I also carry 300 Euros to pay for albergus/cafes/beer during the day. This is really not difficulr at all: If you want to use a card for payment; use it; but be prepared to to pay cash when demanded.

Nobrainer.

Returning to the original intention of the OP: How can I know? Are you staying in private places/municipals? Allergues requiering cash or hotels accepting cards?

As many have said I also carry 300 Euros to pay for albergus/cafes/beer during the day. This is really not difficulr at all: If you want to use a card for payment; use it; but be prepared to to pay cash when demanded.

Nobrainer.
I apologize for going off track- we stay in hostals with private rooms as well as small family hotels- we pay cash. We only use a card for stays in large city hotels!

Again, this is no doubt interesting for forum members who live in the USA or visit the USA but it is irrelevant for Spain and for the other EU countries.

The practice that you describe - charging customers extra for credit card payment or debit card payment - has been made illegal since about 2015 or so, and that's the law in every EU country. This applies to our commonly used cards such as Visa and MasterCard; American Express and Diner's and credit cards issued to businesses (i.e. not to private individuals) are apparently exempted from this rule for some reason but American Express and Diner's have very low market shares in Europe anyway.

I can understand why people want to carry large amounts of $$'s with them and pay cash in the USA but that is not a reason for carrying large amounts of €€'s on the Camino in Spain.

I still like to offer cash in my every day life ... especially to small business, and to gites and albergues and other small businesses on the Camino paths. If it's offered but the vendor prefers a card, that's fine too. I read this the other day ... I don't vouch for the maths, but I found it interesting.

'You have a $50 banknote in your pocket. Go to a restaurant and pay for a meal with it.
The restaurant owner then uses the bill to pay for laundry. The laundry owner then uses the bill to pay the barber.
The barber will then use the bill for shopping.
After an unlimited number of payments, it will still remain a $50 bill, which has fulfilled its purpose to everyone who used it for payment.
However if You pay for your meal digitally at the restaurant then the bank fees on the card for your payment transaction could be charged as high as 3% to the seller, so up to $1.50, after 30 transactions, the initial $50 could be as low as $5 and the remaining $45 became the property of the banks ... thanks to all digital transactions and fees...'

Especially as I can't think of anywhere else other than Britain and Australia that's still using cheques.)

As to cheques, they are still widely used in France. In supermarkets some people pay by cheque relatively small purchases. I pay my GP by cheque and send a cheque to the company doing my garden.
And it still happens to me occasionally in the UK in a shop or restaurant that the machine does not recognise my French bank card and wants my signature.

Genuine question: Does anyone know whether the phasing out of the Maestro function has any effect on paying by debit card in Spain?

I was in Germany a few weeks ago and my usual debit card (not issued by a German bank) worked flawlessly in supermarkets, on a Thalys train and in shops in train stations, just as it has done for decades, but, to my surprise, it did not work in a pharmacy and I had to dig out two banknotes to pay for something like €32.91. Which, btw, also meant that I got two 2-eurocents in return which are useless where I live. It had something to do with the phasing out of Maestro and what they call Girocard (if I understood correctly). I hope this was the exception and not the rule.

For info, from Wikipedia:

Starting July 1, 2023, Mastercard will phase out Maestro across Europe. European banks and other card issuers will be required to replace expired or lost Maestro cards with either a Debit Mastercard, a competitor's debit card (e.g. Visa Debit) or a credit card.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.