• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

And from St Etienne....

Josefine

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés Primitivo Aragonés/Francés, Portugues Fisterra/Muxia Norte San Salvador Via Gebennesis
Hi everybody,
I'm planning for my next camino starting May 9 from Le Puy and I am still not sure about how to get there. I think from the airport in Lyon with the Rhone express to Lyon Gare Port Dieu and from there a train to St Etienne arriving around 19.30 May 8. And then by bus? Or? Please, could someone send me a link to check the schedules since I am unable to find it.
I booked a bed in Le Puy and plan to start walking the 9 around noon to Montbonnet, where I booked and the 10 to Monistrol, where I am trying to book at the moment. So I would have two short stages to start with which I think I will need considering elevations.
I guess some of us might meet :) so let's all have a wonderful camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are trains, some direct some with a connection, from 0540 until 2105 at the moment. You can purchase only within about 90 days, so May is not available yet. Expect the schedule to be about the same.

upload_2015-1-11_12-41-30.png

Enter Lyon (toute le gares) and Le Puy en Velay as depart and arrivee. There will be a list of schedules. Select the one for line #10. I would use today's schedule for planning and confirm the schedule not more than a month in advance.

You can buy a ticket that is good for a period of time (90 days?). You cannot reserve seats on TER trains or buses.

Note that sometimes services are provided by bus (listed on the schedule as Car).

Rhone Alps SNCF TER
http://www.ter.sncf.com/rhone-alpes/

SNCF TER #10
http://cdn.ter.sncf.com/medias/PDF/rhone_alpes/10 _LE PUY_ FIRMINY ST ETIENNE LYON 02 Janv_tcm70-29596_tcm70-30083.pdf

4000 Lyon

4001 This section discusses transportation in Lyon

Index 4000
4002 Lyon Airport
4003 Lyon Transportation
4004 Train Stations Lyon

4002 Lyon Airport

Lyon Airport (LYS) Saint Exupéry
http://www.lyonaeroports.com/eng

The best way to get from the Airport Saint Exupéry to Lyon Gare Part Dieu Villette is the Rhone Express Tram. Be prepared for the price shock.

Rhone Express - Shuttle from Airport to downtown Lyon
http://www.rhonexpress.fr/

4003 Lyon Transportation

Lyon transit
http://www.tcl.fr/

To go from Gare Part Dieu to Gare Perrache, depending on TCL schedule:

a. Bus #9 from Gare Part Dieu Vivier Merle to Metro station Bellacour. Transfer to Metro line A and go to Metro station Perrache.

b. Tram # 1 from Gare Part Dieu Vivier Merle to Gare Perrache.

c. Metro line B from Gare Part Dieu to Jean Mace. From Jean Mace take Tram #2 to Gare Perrache.

Allow 30 minutes.

4004 Lyon Train Stations

Lyon has seven train stations including the TGV station at the airport. The principal station in Lyon is Gare Part Dieu. The other station of interest is Gare Perrache.

Lyon Gare de Part Dieu
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frlpd/accueil/

Lyon Gare Perrache
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frlpe/accueil/

Lyon Gare Saint Exupéry TGV (airport)
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frjdq/accueil/

4100 Lyon to Le Puy-en-Velay

4101 This section describes transportation from Lyon to Le Puy-en-Velay.

4102 Trains

Le Puy-en-Velay is best reached by SNCF provided trains and autocars (bus). Most of the trains to Le Puy leave from Lyon Gare de Part Dieu, however some schedules have trains leaving from Lyon Gare Perrache.

It is possible to buy SNCF tickets to Le Puy from the TGV station at Lyon's Airport, however, trains travel via Paris, an eight-hour detour.

Trains from Lyon to Saint Etienne Chateaucreux may be via SNCF TGV or SNCF TER services.

Trains from Saint Etienne Chateaucreux will involve SNCF TER services either by train or bus.

The trip from Lyon may involve one or more transfers from one train to another at Saint Etienne Chateaucreux and Firminy.

See schedule: TER 10 (Lyon - Le Puy)

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/

SNCF TER Rhone-Alpes
http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/rhone_alpes/fr/Default.aspx

4200 Le Puy en Velay

4201 This section provides some information about Le Puy-en-Velay

Le Puy en Velay Tourist Page
http://www.ot-lepuyenvelay.fr/

HexAir (Paris to Le Puy)
http://www.hexair.com/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks a lot Falcon and whariwharangi, you've have been a great help!

May is a very popular walking month on the Le Puy. The train change at St Ettienne will involve a platform change. Just follow the crowd of backpacks and you'll be in the right place. You'll only have approximately 10 minutes for the change.

May is a very popular walking month on the Le Puy. The train change at St Ettienne will involve a platform change. Just follow the crowd of backpacks and you'll be in the right place. You'll only have approximately 10 minutes for the change.
Ok, Kitsambler, thanks, I'll bear that in mind.
Do you think I will be ok reaching Montbonnet the next day if I start walking around noon?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is nearly 17km, some of it steep, so maybe. I couldn't. You can quit at St. Christophe sur Dolaison after 9km if you are tired. It is a nice old farmhouse.
Yes it does look very steep........but I thought since I booked ahead there is no need for hurry and I could take my time. But I'll think about it, and it's good to know there will be something in between in case I don't make it. I might try to start earlier as well. If pilgrim mass is finished around 8 I suppose if I take a couple of hours for sight seeing I could start walking around ten.......

I did the section Le Puy to Monbonnet as my Day 1, and we left directly after the morning pilgrim mass, which probably meant we were underway from Capuchins around 9 am. It's quite the long slog, and we were exhausted by 4 pm or so when we arrived at the gite. Remember, first come gets first choice of beds at the gite, and there will be many other walkers. You'll be needing to get cleaned up and do laundry after you arrive, and before dinner is served. There will be many others using the washing facilities. So if it were me, I wouldn't wait until noon to leave, unless you're in the sort of physical condition that walks 5 km/hour with a fully loaded pack.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I second Kitsambler here, and wouldn't leave departure from Le Puy much later than 9-10am if you are aiming for Montbonnet. If you want to spend longer exploring Le-Puy-en-Velay before you leave- and there are some wonderful places to go, eg a climb up to visit the chapel of St Michael on the 'needle' -d'Aiguilhe- then it would be better to aim for somewhere like St Christophe sur Dolaison your first day. (I actually spent two nights in Le Puy so I had time to explore.)

Like Kitsambler I also stayed at Montbonnet the first night, (and Monistrol d'Allier the second night) and found those walks quite long enough for me starting out. It is a steepish climb on the road out of Le Puy to start with, but if you just take your time and do it at your own pace, you will be surprised by how soon you arrive at the wooden statue of St Jacques, and leave the paved road behind for more 'cross country' sort of paths/roads. And though there is quite an altitude gain to Montbonnet, somehow it doesn't seem so very steep after that. I found the second day's walk to Monistrol d'Allier was enough for me starting out as well- though I know others walk further on both these days. It was the steep descent from Rochegude that I found most challenging with my short legs!

All the best with your planning.
Margaret

Hi
My sister and I walked from Le Puy in May last year. We got a Eurolines (overnight) bus from London to Lyon, which arrived early in the morning. We walked across to the train station, and bought a train ticket to Le Puy, which included a change to a bus (instead of another train) at St Etienne.
The tourist office in Le Puy booked our first night for us at Gite d’Etape Prive L’Escole in Montbonnet for the night of 8 May. It cost us 31 euros each for dinner, a dorm bed and very basic breakfast. We had to pay 4.50 euros extra for a half litre of wine, AND we had to wash up. We were horrified at the cost.
After that we never booked ahead, and took our chances, mainly because we didn’t know how far we would be able to walk each day. It is much tougher than the Camino Frances. All the French people we met were very concerned for us as we had no bookings, but we always found a bed, except for one night, at Labastide-Marnhac. The bar/restaurant there let us sleep on their covered patio. It probably happens quite often, as he was very OK with it. The town’s public toilets were right next door, and the barman (who had the key) left them unlocked for us.
The French system is very frustrating. You can reserve a bed without paying a deposit, so people often don’t arrive to claim their bed. Several places turned us away as “full”, although we’d hear next day that there were empty beds. Their loss, not ours. When a friend on the trail tried to cancel a reservation once, as she couldn’t walk the distance, and found somewhere else, she got such a cross and crazed woman screaming at her on the other end of the line that she refused to phone and cancel when it happened to her again.
Having said that, the walkers on the Chemin du Puy (who are mostly French) are so laid back and easy going, as no-one is in a hurry, being sure of a bed booked up ahead somewhere. We really liked that; so very different from the often mad rush on the Camino Frances.
Jill

I second Kitsambler here, and wouldn't leave departure from Le Puy much later than 9-10am if you are aiming for Montbonnet. If you want to spend longer exploring Le-Puy-en-Velay before you leave- and there are some wonderful places to go, eg a climb up to visit the chapel of St Michael on the 'needle' -d'Aiguilhe- then it would be better to aim for somewhere like St Christophe sur Dolaison your first day. (I actually spent two nights in Le Puy so I had time to explore.)

Like Kitsambler I also stayed at Montbonnet the first night, (and Monistrol d'Allier the second night) and found those walks quite long enough for me starting out. It is a steepish climb on the road out of Le Puy to start with, but if you just take your time and do it at your own pace, you will be surprised by how soon you arrive at the wooden statue of St Jacques, and leave the paved road behind for more 'cross country' sort of paths/roads. And though there is quite an altitude gain to Montbonnet, somehow it doesn't seem so very steep after that. I found the second day's walk to Monistrol d'Allier was enough for me starting out as well- though I know others walk further on both these days. It was the steep descent from Rochegude that I found most challenging with my short legs!

Margaret

Margaret
Thanks to the three of you for taking time to advice on this. I am starting to realize that I need to think this over properly, I am not the fittest of pilgrims and I have time enough for this Camino so no need to hurry. I would very much like to start the steep walk up to Saugues early in the morning from Monistrol and thus I should spend the night there.
So staying the first night in Saint-Christophe-sur-Dolaison, Falcon when you mention the "nice old farm house" to you mean the gite? In Tallode? Do I have to call to make reservations? Because I find no e-mail. Next day I would have, according to Godesalco, 7,9 km to Montbonnet, too short a walk I suppose so I would continue to Monistrol 21, 6 km . And next day 22,6 km to Le Villeret-d'Apchier.
Hi
My sister and I walked from Le Puy in May last year. We got a Eurolines (overnight) bus from London to Lyon, which arrived early in the morning. We walked across to the train station, and bought a train ticket to Le Puy, which included a change to a bus (instead of another train) at St Etienne.
The tourist office in Le Puy booked our first night for us at Gite d’Etape Prive L’Escole in Montbonnet for the night of 8 May. It cost us 31 euros each for dinner, a dorm bed and very basic breakfast. We had to pay 4.50 euros extra for a half litre of wine, AND we had to wash up. We were horrified at the cost.
After that we never booked ahead, and took our chances, mainly because we didn’t know how far we would be able to walk each day. It is much tougher than the Camino Frances. All the French people we met were very concerned for us as we had no bookings, but we always found a bed, except for one night, at Labastide-Marnhac. The bar/restaurant there let us sleep on their covered patio. It probably happens quite often, as he was very OK with it. The town’s public toilets were right next door, and the barman (who had the key) left them unlocked for us.
The French system is very frustrating. You can reserve a bed without paying a deposit, so people often don’t arrive to claim their bed. Several places turned us away as “full”, although we’d hear next day that there were empty beds. Their loss, not ours. When a friend on the trail tried to cancel a reservation once, as she couldn’t walk the distance, and found somewhere else, she got such a cross and crazed woman screaming at her on the other end of the line that she refused to phone and cancel when it happened to her again.
Having said that, the walkers on the Chemin du Puy (who are mostly French) are so laid back and easy going, as no-one is in a hurry, being sure of a bed booked up ahead somewhere. We really liked that; so very different from the often mad rush on the Camino Frances.
Jill
Thanks to the three of you for taking time to advice on this. I am starting to realize that I need to think this over properly, I am not the fittest of pilgrims and I have time enough for this Camino so no need to hurry. I would very much like to start the steep walk up to Saugues early in the morning from Monistrol and thus I should spend the night there.
So staying the first night in Saint-Christophe-sur-Dolaison, Falcon when you mention the "nice old farm house" to you mean the gite? In Tallode? Do I have to call to make reservations? Because I find no e-mail. Next day I would have, according to Godesalco, 7,9 km to Montbonnet, too short a walk I suppose so I would continue to Monistrol 21, 6 km . And next day 22,6 km to Le Villeret-d'Apchier.
This I think, could be ok. Any comments?

Jill, thanks for sharing you experience. I think I want to make reservations for the first few days, I will not be able to hurry in those mountains in order to get a bed where I feel I want to stay. Then I guess after a few days, I'll get used to the French "Chemin" as compared to the Camino in Spain and I'll see how everything works out.
Josefine

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It cost us 31 euros each for dinner, a dorm bed and very basic breakfast.
That is dead average for demipension in France. That is why past pilgrims say that France is 10E more per day than Spain. In many places the only meal choice is demipension. There are no restaurants and there is no kitchen. The choice is the demipension or food from your pack!

you mean the gite?
Yes.

St. Privat would be further than Montbonnet, but shorter than Monistrol. The downhill walk to Monistrol is a tough one on tired and shaky legs. I would never be able to make it without trekking poles. In St. Privat, this is a very nice place opened by a couple who met on the Camino and decided to open a Christian gite.

Hospitalité chrétienne Pèlerins d'Emmaüs
Marie et Jean-Marc Lucien
Chemin du Bonheur - Le Bourg
43580 Saint-Privat-d'Allier

It has changed hands, and is now operated by:

http://www.accueil-randonneurs.fr/

The place next door also is OK.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi
In case it is of any help, after Montbonnet we stayed the next night in Sauges, at Centre d’Acceuil La Margeride, a big youth centre, for 14 euros each for a bed. The Gite Communal was “full”, although they told us to check back again “after 6pm”, as apparently they start releasing unclaimed beds after 6pm. (Worrying, if you have a bed booked and don’t pitch before 6pm.)
Yes, we quickly learned to carry at least 24 hours worth of food and wine on us!
Jill

Thank you Falcon, I looked at the gites Hospitalité chrétienne Pèlerins d'Emmaüs but according to Miam Miam Do Do they are closed week ends when I would arrive. But I will have a look at the other gites you suggested in Saint-Christophe-sur-Dolaison, it seems nice. I can understand you need trekking poles on this Camino. I never used them in Spain, not even for the Primitivo but this time I will bring them for the first time. I expect they will be a great help.
Josefine

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, Kitsambler, thanks, I'll bear that in mind.
Do you think I will be ok reaching Montbonnet the next day if I start walking around noon?

Josefine,
Start after mass or start the next day
Montbonnet is the perfect stop for the first night. Good gite with very nice bar/cafe attached.
It's a 6 hour walk after using your camera. The climb is considerable over a good but not steep.

However when leaving Monistrol it should be done in the morning.
It is very , very steep and could be dangerous in heavy rain.

Saugues for the third night.

There will be more on the GR till Conques than after.
There will be less after Cahors.

Bon courage and in the early stages go slowly.
This is very different than Camino Frances and please do me a favour Josefine......book your accommodation and meals for the Sunday and Monday evenings . You are in country France , sometimes remote and absolutely beautiful.

Josefine,
Start after mass or start the next day
Montbonnet is the perfect stop for the first night. Good gite with very nice bar/cafe attached.
It's a 6 hour walk after using your camera. The climb is considerable over a good but not steep.

However when leaving Monistrol it should be done in the morning.
It is very , very steep and could be dangerous in heavy rain.

Saugues for the third night.

There will be more on the GR till Conques than after.
There will be less after Cahors.

Bon courage and in the early stages go slowly.
This is very different than Camino Frances and please do me a favour Josefine......book your accommodation and meals for the Sunday and Monday evenings . You are in country France , sometimes remote and absolutely beautiful.
Thornley,
Monistrol to Saugues would be a very short day, do you recomend that because of the very steep walk from Monistrol? That is, you think that when reaching Saugues my legs will need the rest?
Yes I will be booking meals and accomodation, at least till I reach Conques I suppose, I am very much looking forward to walking in "country France". Can't wait! Only four months to go! :)

Hi
Below are the places we stayed in 2014, in case it is of any help in planning your stages. Sometimes the gites were full and so we had to stay in an hotel; at other times we just wanted our own space (and a soak in a bathtub), so we deliberately went to an hotel rather than find a gite.
By the way, the trail will often take you around a town or village, rather than through it. Bear that in mind when approaching settlements, or you will find yourself way past it, sans food and drink! (And facilities are very few and far between as it is.)
Montbonnet: Gite d’Etape Prive l’Escole, 31E DBBpp
Saugues: Centre d’Accueil La Margeride, 14E bed pp
Saint Alban sur Limagnole: Hotel du Centre (gite), 14E bed pp (we didn’t intend to walk over 30 kms when setting out on our third day, but we felt fit and strong, so just kept walking . . . . )
Aumont-Aubrac: Hotel Aubrac, E45 for a huge family room (4 beds) (their gite was “full”)
Nasbinals: Hotel la Route d’Argent, E36 for twin-bed room
Saint Chely d’Aubrac: Hotel des Voyageurs, E54 for twin-bed room
Saint Come d’Olt: Gite d’Etape del Romiou, E11 bed pp
Estaing: Albergue St Fleurat, E48 for twin-bed room
Espeyrac: Gite d’Etape Communal, E13 bed pp
Conques: Gite d’Etape Communal, E12 bed pp
Livinhac-le-Haut: La Vita e Bella (donativo), E27.50 DBB
Figeac: Hotel La Pyramide, E55 for twin-bed room (above a seedy bar in centre of town, but great!)
Grealou: Gite l’Atelier des Volets Bleu, E20 bed pp (they were “full”, but gave us a bed on the floor in the annex)
Limogne-en-Quercy: Gite Communal, E12.50 bed pp
Mas de Vers: Gite du Poudally, E14.50 bed pp
Cahours: Auberge de Jeunesse, E15 bed pp. (Entering Cahors, on the bridge, there is a pilgrim welcome office. We asked about accommodation. “Zut, alors!” (Oops, no reservation.) “Oh la la!” (It’s a holiday weekend, everywhere is fully booked.) They phoned the Youth Hostel for us. (Phew! Thank goodness, they have 2 spare beds.) Well, the place was practically empty, and we had a 10-bed female dorm to ourselves.)
Labastide-Marnhoc: Les Halles de Labastide, no charge, on their patio (we carried sleeping bags for such an emergency). Really nice restaurant owner, great pizzas.
Montcuq: Hotel du Parc, E50 DBB pp (2 kms, out of town, not recommended)
Lauzerte: L’Echoppe, E45 for 4-bed fully equipped apartment (ask in tourist office, fabulous)
Moissac: Gite d’Etape Ancien Carmel, E19.50 BB pp
Auvillar: Gite d’Etape Communal, E14.50 bed pp (really nice)
Castet-Arrouy: Gite d’Etape Communal, E15 BB pp
Lectoure: Gite d’Etape la Halte Pelerin, E16.90 bed pp
Condom: Gite les Relais de St Jacques, E20 BB pp (the best gite by far, fabulous)
Montreal du Gers: La Halte Rempart, E17 BB pp
Eauze: Hotel Café de France, E69 for large triple bed room
Nogaro: Hotel le Commerce, E50 DBB pp sharing
Barcelonne-du-Gers: Gite la Bastide du Cosset, E20 BB pp
Aire-sur-l’Adour: a 2-bed caravan at the campsite, E13 bed pp (spent the afternoon at the swimming pool!)
Sensacq: Ferme du Marsan, E13 bed pp
Arzacq-Arraziguet: Centre d’Accueil Communal, E11 bed pp
Arthez-de-Bearn: Gite de la Boulangerie Brousse, E15 BB pp (great breakfast at their bakery in town!)
Sauvelade: Gite le P’tit Laa, E13 BB pp
Navarrenx: Gite Etape Pelerin, E11.50 bed pp
Aroue: Gite la Tortue, E29 DBB pp (very casual; they overbook, so there are oddbods wandering around late afternoon looking for a bed that they say they have reserved; and you have to cook the dinner yourself!)
Ostabat: Gite d’Etape Izarrak, E32 DBB pp (demi-pension only, 44 people crammed into 3 long tables, and all the windows closed tight, very claustrophobic).
Saint Jean Pied de Port: we arrived with no reservation, but found a room at 15 Rue de la Citadelle, which had a sign outside for rooms to let, for E25 each; just knocked on the door; very welcoming landlady. The pilgrim office wanted to send us out to the suburbs, as “there is nothing available in town”.
Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If it is raining Josefine it will be a very long day .
I know its just 14 km but it becomes 21km if you don't stop.
The climb out will take a bit of effort and again we take it easy for the first few days.
We arrived on market day in Saugues and found a lovely bar with antique furniture in a lane way [ Bar Des Garmes ]
Great day.
Jill has given great advice on where to stay , i'll just add a few comments.
ST.COME D'OLT we stayed in the convent ,private room, but eat out as the nuns have never used salt in their lives lol
ESTAING..Hosp St Jacques in church , good atmosphere and you do the dishes after dinner.
GREALOU good place to rest , country atmosphere.
We have used on 2 occasions the gite owned by Ester [ Swiss ] because the other was booked by groups.
CONDOM Residence les Cordellers...same as Jills ...good position in town
** AVOID MONTCUQ by turning left 2km before town [ Page 44 MMDD]
**LAUZERTE great village square , get market day for arrival , Le Figuiers , wonderful hosts Michel and Bernardette
MOISSAC with the irish , Rom is great or Jills selection and have a steak to keep you going at Lou's Grill , great food.
AUVILLAR great communal.
CONDOM Ancient Carmel or Le Relais Saint Jacques
NOGARO , stay before in Le Haget.
LECTOURE , with Veronica in Halte Pelerine as Jill says.
AIR SUR L ADOUR Hosp St jacques , lovely hosts , lovely garden with food from market.
ARTHEZ DE BEARN..same as Jills , lovely old home , but a walk into town and back after Bar Sports.
SAUVELADE AND OR BIGNAN , on page 80 MMDD you have the best places here on the way.
The 2 gites have wonderful hosts who happen to be very good chefs. They will get you from the abbey.
The home in Bignan is beautiful and restful however the following day would be a short to Navarrenx.
**AROUE , Gite Bellevue , with Marie and Paul and their pool . Its on a farm and Paul takes you for 2 euros to dinner at Auberge des Chenes which is on the previous page MMDD 82 [no7] . He picks you up 2 and a bit hours later.
** OSTABAT [ not Gaineko Etxea which is a tourist tap in my opinion] and claustrophobic according to Jill
We stayed in a bar called Ostatoa /Auberge Ametzanea. Its no 3 on MMDD page 85 and they are a beautiful basque family.
Three generations dine with you and you won't go hungry Josefine.

Good luck and slow early.

I suppose so I would continue to Monistrol 21, 6 km . And next day 22,6 km to Le Villeret-d'Apchier.
Monistrol is at the bottom of a very steep river gorge -- the steepest down, and the steepest up, sections you will encounter along the entire Le Puy route. Steep enough, as Falcon mentions, to be quite treacherous if it is raining. The climb up from Monistrol ascends 430 m (1350 ft) in the first hour. We were completely done in by the time we reached Sauges. That was far enough.

Monistrol is at the bottom of a very steep river gorge -- the steepest down, and the steepest up, sections you will encounter along the entire Le Puy route. Steep enough, as Falcon mentions, to be quite treacherous if it is raining. The climb up from Monistrol ascends 430 m (1350 ft) in the first hour. We were completely done in by the time we reached Sauges. That was far enough.
Thanks a lot, your lists will be a great help while I continue my planning.
So you have convinced me to do stay in both Monistrol and Sauges, I'll followe your advice. As to the first day or two, when to start and where to stay I haven't made my mind up yet. We'll see, but I am sure I will come back to you with more questions.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...
Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi I am undertaking the Le Puy way commencing on 7 June 2024. For planning I have a Cicerone Guide by Dave Whiston. I have been trying to book dormitory style accommodation for the first stage...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back