• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another Hotspot Foot Pondering

WldWil

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 SJPDP - Halfway
2016 Fromista - The other half
I have a pair of Merrell Moab ventilators a ½ size larger than my regular size and have been wearing smartwool socks with and without a thin nylon liner (leggs). Based upon my personal research this is what I think would best work for me.

The reason I mention brands is that I was a bit surprised that when starting to test it out, I was getting hot spots at about 10k. I was wearing my pack at the time which weighs about 7Kg. I did a light break in of wearing them around the house and then added a few weeks as ‘regular’ shoes with some 3k evening walks. I figure by my third or fourth 10k walk with a pack, this should be reduced more.

I wonder if I am just that much of a tenderfoot mostly staying indoors this Wisconsin winter or if 7Kg pack weight actually makes this much difference?

I did purchase the Superfeet Green Premium Insoles last week. I got the 7.5-9 size which are identical in size to my 8.5 size pair of Merrell insoles and needed no trimming. I walked about 3k in them today to start the break in. It does feels like the arch is a bit back towards the heel, but we’ll see. So far, so good. I figure I'll try this before thicker socks or 1000 mile socks first.

The foot topics here have been great. After reading so many, it does make me wonder how much it is foot care (which obviously is important) and training (important as well) versus just the type of feet you have.

So, if you are not too tired talking about feet. What are your thoughts?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think our feet are very individual, and probably changeable as well. Rather like the rest of our bodies and minds. Sounds like you are trying out all the advice and will eventually land on what seems like the best for your feet. I'm always working on it too. Good luck!

Have you tried taping the hot spots? Are you using Vaseline or Body Glide on your feet? Both of those helped me.

I believe the Superfeet arch feeling at first like it's too far back is normal.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have body glide, but not used it yet. I should have mentioned that the hot spot is in the center of the main pad of the foot. Everywhere else is good.

I suggest using the body glide or Vaseline. You might also want to try a synthetic/technical trail running sock. It's really a matter of trial and error - good luck in finding what works best for your feet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have found a foot with callouses is prone to developing blisters under the callous. Compeeds on a hot spot is the best prophylactic.

Your whole foot is sliding. The boots may be too big. See if a different lacing technique (check the internet) will hold your foot in place. If the sole does not flex enough, your foot can slide, too, so the model boot could be the problem.

Will,

I think you need to rethink your boots. Boots did not work at all on a summer Camino (July, Aug. 2014), but I had a friend who did it in boots (Sept. Oct 2013), although she was with her mom and walked very short distances every day (shorter distances cures almost all problems). But if your boots are causing hot spots after only 5km (3.1 miles), I do not those boots are right for you. Hotspots after 5km means real trouble at 50km, and serious problems at 200km (and you still have another 575km to go). I agree that they are good boots. I tried them, and if they had fit me, I would have bought them (for backpacking in mountains, not the Camino). But they did not, and they do not sound like they fit you very well either. One thing the Camino taught me was that nothing was more important than my feet, and the second thing it taught me was to get rid of things that do not work immediately (even if I think they should work). It is worth the money to get this right. The good news is that you have plenty of time before September.

If you want the sad story of me and my much loved, but doomed, boots, it is here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...id-not-for-a-summer-camino.31137/#post-270377

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

€83,-
Your whole foot is sliding. The boots may be too big. See if a different lacing technique (check the internet) will hold your foot in place. If the sole does not flex enough, your foot can slide, too, so the model boot could be the problem.
I have had blisters on the main pad of my foot in the past. In my case, I attributed it to rather thick socks in a rather large shoe that was very cushioned, resulting in too much motion as I walked. Since I went to lightweight boots that hug my whole foot snugly but are the right shape to allow expansion by adjusting the laces, and using one pair of medium-light socks, I have not experienced that type of blister.

Of course, this conflicts with the theory that one should wear shoes and not boots, and buy a size bigger than you need. Find the model of shoe or boot that fits most like a glove, and buy the right size.

this conflicts with the theory that one should wear shoes and not boots, and buy a size bigger than you need
That is a bad theory. Buy boots that fit with the socks you will be using. It is as likely to be your regular size and a size larger. You are right!:)

I buy my hiking shoes 1/2 size larger than my normal shoes, mainly to accommodate cushioned hiking socks.
I don't use liners, Vaseline, or Glide. My shoes fit pretty snugly with little or no sliding. I've never gotten a blister hiking and the only time I had a blister (on the bottom of my foot) was when I spontaneously went for a long walk in street shoes with no socks. My foot was sliding a lot. So...I subscribe to theory that "snug" and not oversized works for me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a pair of Merrell Moab ventilators a ½ size larger than my regular size and have been wearing smartwool socks with and without a thin nylon liner (leggs). Based upon my personal research this is what I think would best work for me.

I was getting hot spots at about 10k. I was wearing my pack at the time which weighs about 7Kg.

Hi wil
I've tried numerous 'insoles' including the blue and green superfeet. I can't say that any of them feel any better (to me) than the originals that come with my Keen boots. I will keep testing tho hoping for the decision to be easier.

Since you are getting hotspots on about 10k, if hotspot isn't attributable to sliding; than why don't you try giving your feet a rest (take your shoes off and the socks, cool them off, check to see if you should add some tape). I try this regardless, poor old feet do all the work and are thankful for a break, especially near a stream.

It can be quite hot on the feet, walking anytime. Also is your backpack really fitted and packed well for these trials. Anything not right may have you changing your gait. If loading for a practise walk, don't load a pile of heavy books at the top. I pack my heavier items so that my hips are doing all the work.

I hope you work it out Wil, you're clever to be spending the time on it now rather than after you start.

Buen Camino
Annie

The reason I mention brands is that I was a bit surprised that when starting to test it out, I was getting hot spots at about 10k. I was wearing my pack at the time which weighs about 7Kg. I did a light break in of wearing them around the house and then added a few weeks as ‘regular’ shoes with some 3k evening walks. I figure by my third or fourth 10k walk with a pack, this should be reduced more.

I wonder if I am just that much of a tenderfoot mostly staying indoors this Wisconsin winter or if 7Kg pack weight actually makes this much difference?

I did purchase the Superfeet Green Premium Insoles last week. I got the 7.5-9 size which are identical in size to my 8.5 size pair of Merrell insoles and needed no trimming. I walked about 3k in them today to start the break in. It does feels like the arch is a bit back towards the heel, but we’ll see. So far, so good. I figure I'll try this before thicker socks or 1000 mile socks first.

The foot topics here have been great. After reading so many, it does make me wonder how much it is foot care (which obviously is important) and training (important as well) versus just the type of feet you have.

Try NOK instead of Vaseline. Much better. Also buy Hikers Wool from New Zealand. There is nothing better to cushion your feet if you feel a hot spot or anyplace where you may need some cushioning.

I appreciate the input. I have done a few 2 mile walks trying to break the soles back in. I'll try a couple 10ks by the end of the week. Even with the shoe being a half size larger, it still feel pretty good. I am trying a heel lacing system as well. I found a neat link at http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/expert-advice/how-to-lace-walking-boots.

I guess with blister free running, I was not as concerned as before. I'll drop a note this weekend.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My experience with this boot in 2011 was that the usual 1/2 size larger theory didn't apply with this boot. This was not the Camino but a lengthy one none the same. This boot needs to fit snug almost to tight and then the key is to take the boot off every four or five hours of walking. They are a light boot and great for walking distance but if sized wrong will allow your foot to move inside.

I have two pairs of Moab Ventilators, one low and one mid-high.
I had to buy men's size because, well, I guess I have some guy's feet!
I bought the mids for my first Camino, one half size larger. They were terrific. They dried quickly, fit well. I only had a month to break them in and wore them everywhere, usually without a heavy pack, and they seemed to conform to my feet.
I wore sock liners and "thin" hiking socks for the five weeks. Next time, I'll just use "L'Eggs."
I liked my Moabs so much that I bought the low ones to wear around town when I got back home.
I plan to use the mids again next month when I start the CF again.
I got blisters in the beginning because it rained for two weeks straight! And, my feet tend to sweat. I tried Vaseline, no help. Body Glide, no help. The only thing that worked was letting my feet dry, "air" out with sandals and socks (lovely image, I know), and keeping them clean, clean, clean.
I like the advice of taping any burgeoning hot spots before they get out of hand.
Good luck, it sounds like you're doing everything right.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.