• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another question from Marska ... sorry all!

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
I'm beginning to feel as though every time I consider an item for my camino, I end up here asking another question!
I really, really appreciate all the great advice that has here been given so generously.

Please - know that I have done due diligence with searching previous posts here and in on other online resources. I am now asking for input on these items I will soon be posting a pack list and asking you , most kind and generous pilgrims, for your comments. My goal pack weight is 7000 grams and I am now at 5700 so I'm watching the weight.

Keep in mind I am walking SJPDP to SDC beginning 9/24/23 so I anticipate warm weather for the first couple weeks and cooler, wetter weather as I walk through October and the first week in November.

-Sunglasses: I have a pair of nice color-changing lens but they aren't quite dark enough for bright summer days. Does anyone have recommendations for a pair of fall Camino sun glasses? Maybe the ones I have will be fine? Typically I don't wear sunglasses here in the fall unless driving into the sun so maybe I won't need them at all?

- Hat / umbrella: I weighed the sun hat I had planned to bring and Holy Cow! It weighs 100grams!!!! Should I switch to an umbrella (for sun and rain) and thus ditch my 300 gram poncho? Will it be too windy for an umbrella? Or a ball cap for rain (with a poncho) and a wool beanie?? Will I even need protection from the sun apart from sunscreen (on my face and ears) ?

- Shoes for afternoons/evenings: Should I bring high heels?? LOL.
Seriously, it seems like open toe flip flop-ish footwear won't work during this time of year - I know I don't wear them at home after mid-Sept. (Nebraska - USA). So ... I've been looking for LIGHT WEIGHT shoes that will be comfy and protective - ain't seeing any. During Oct - Nov what do pilgrims wear on their feet after they have finished the days walk? Crocs seem way too heavy and I had a pair I tried on and I don't find them particularly comfy. I'll wear pedicure-style footwear or shower caps on my feet in the shower.

************** Buen Camino everyone !!! ***************

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't worry about asking questions Marska, people here are more than happy to help out.

Take sunglasses -you will certainly need them. Any outdoor shop can set you up with a good pair.

100 grams is not unreasonable for a hat. You will certainly need one as the Spanish sun can be very intense. A hat is certainly much lighter than an umbrella, which will not be as effective as a poncho for keeping the water off.

I have no experience with high heels so I can't comment,:p however I personally wear cheap knockoff crocks which are very light and comfortable, but check out all the lightweight sandals and you will find something.

Hello Marska, I'm not the person to help you with weight as my pack is over 10 kg with the day's water.
I notice that you assume the weather will be warm at the end of September. This I would be wary of as my crossing of the Pyrenees, a couple of weeks ago, was very cold and wet and both Orisson and Roncesvalles felt freezing. You may need warm clothes for that section. Happy planning!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
-Sunglasses: I have a pair of nice color-changing lens but they aren't quite dark enough for bright summer days.
The sun will be behind you most of the day, so don't worry about special sunglasses for bright summer days. I use cheapie sunglasses that I wouldn't mind losing.

I'm not a hat person, so I bring a handsfree umbrella for hot sunny days. I also use it in the rain with my poncho.

poncho and umbrella.jpg

An umbrella isn't going to protect your pack against sideways rain, and when it's windy it's not that useful.

Should I switch to an umbrella (for sun and rain) and thus ditch my 300 gram poncho?
I wouldn't.
An umbrella is useless if it's windy.

Does anyone have recommendations for a pair of fall Camino sun glasses?
Bring cheapos that you can afford to lose.
You'll have the sun at your back until afternoon, so it's not so essential.
Or a ball cap for rain (with a poncho) and a wool beanie?? Will I even need protection from the sun apart from sunscreen (on my face and ears) ?
I wear a hat for neck protection; it's one I got at a garden store with a mostly mesh crown, not so heavy. A ball cap won't do much good.

If you bring a beanie, you can get super lightweight ones made of merino. Warm enough. I have both a hat and beanie.

Should I bring high heels?? LOLLOL
Marksa, are you trolling us?
🤣
Seriously, in what universe are heels more comfortable than Crocs?!
My Keen sandals do double duty, because they're fine at night too. I sometimes (not always) take light slippers for inside, but don't go out in them.

Haha, you seem to have lots of questions. While i'd recommend you try to set your mind at ease a bit and not overplan your Camino, please, never be shy to ask here if you feel you need an opinion on something. I been quite nervous before my Caminos as well, planned a lot, but when i arrived i was always thinking why i worried so much ;-)

To your questions:

- I'd never go without sunglasses and a hat. My RayBan's come in at around 33g and my Stetson at around 110g. So they won't break the bank.
- For me in the evenings Flipflops been enough. I used "finger socks" (Injiji) on a few colder evenings, that option is a lot lighter than an extra pair of shoes. But that was May/June. Since you plan starting in September and walk into November, weather might turn for the worse and you might want something more solid. Or not. Why not start with flipflops and see how the weather develops? You can still buy shoes later on your camino if you feel the need for them.

extra question:
I don't know if you posted your complete list with weights and everything somewhere yet, but if not, i highly recommend you put everything into an Excel sheet or at lighterpack.com so when you discuss it with people you'll (maybe) get more well rounded opinions. To me 5.7 or 7kg seems quite much, but i have no idea whats in your pack and there might be good reasons for it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Having just caught up with this thread, I suddenly realise I'm nowhere near as advanced in my planning as you. I arrive and depart SJPDP on the 20th September and clearly need to start weighing things. No high heels for me though. Good luck with your packing and Camino.

I'm beginning to feel as though every time I consider an item for my camino, I end up here asking another question!
I really, really appreciate all the great advice that has here been given so generously.

Please - know that I have done due diligence with searching previous posts here and in on other online resources. I am now asking for input on these items I will soon be posting a pack list and asking you , most kind and generous pilgrims, for your comments. My goal pack weight is 7000 grams and I am now at 5700 so I'm watching the weight.

Keep in mind I am walking SJPDP to SDC beginning 9/24/23 so I anticipate warm weather for the first couple weeks and cooler, wetter weather as I walk through October and the first week in November.

-Sunglasses: I have a pair of nice color-changing lens but they aren't quite dark enough for bright summer days. Does anyone have recommendations for a pair of fall Camino sun glasses? Maybe the ones I have will be fine? Typically I don't wear sunglasses here in the fall unless driving into the sun so maybe I won't need them at all?

- Hat / umbrella: I weighed the sun hat I had planned to bring and Holy Cow! It weighs 100grams!!!! Should I switch to an umbrella (for sun and rain) and thus ditch my 300 gram poncho? Will it be too windy for an umbrella? Or a ball cap for rain (with a poncho) and a wool beanie?? Will I even need protection from the sun apart from sunscreen (on my face and ears) ?

Seriously, it seems like open toe flip flop-ish footwear won't work during this time of year - I know I don't wear them at home after mid-Sept. (Nebraska - USA). So ... I've been looking for LIGHT WEIGHT shoes that will be comfy and protective - ain't seeing any. During Oct - Nov what do pilgrims wear on their feet after they have finished the days walk? Crocs seem way too heavy and I had a pair I tried on and I don't find them particularly comfy. I'll wear pedicure-style footwear or shower caps on my feet in the shower.

I don’t know if you are familiar with the term ‘bucket hat’, as I rarely see USA folks wearing them but they are popular in Europe, especially at moment as Carlos Alcaraz, Wimbledon Champion, and the most famous/liked person in Spain right now, wears one, and are effective. I don’t like baseball caps ( I know they are popular in USA) but they seem to protect the front of the face but not the neck ( and I am far too old to wear a baseball cap, especially back to front!!).

Attachments

• IMG_2886.png
    IMG_2886.png
    1 MB · Views: 70
Hat - I'd say yes. Preferrably one that doesn't mind being folded and getting wet. Weight doesn't really matter because it will probably be on your head and not in the backpack 😉. With a hat you don't need sunglasses. Enjoy to see the world around you in all its colours! On the Francés the sun will usually be in your back, anyway, unless you walk late evenings.

Poncho - yes. Wouldn't replace it with an umbrella, but that's personal choice. I've had a poncho since Camino #1 in 2015 and would never leave for a hike without one. It also adds warmth and protects against wind should it get colder than anticipated, something an umbrella can't do. But also, personal choice.

I've stopped weighing and listing every single item and somehow my baseweight usually always is ~8-9kgs including full camping gear, which works for me. So I don't really worry anymore about 100g (edit: or even a kilo 🤣) here or there.

As a sidenote, it can be a lot of fun to discuss gear, packing lists, Pack weight ect., especially between Caminos or while waiting for your pilgrimage to begin. But it is even more fun when you notice after you started walking, that all of those discussions are not really needed. You might see pilgrims in jeans and old tennis shoes, with cheap backpacks, garbage bags as ponchos and plastic bags over their shoes in the rain, old/broken/no phones, no language skills, maybe even with physical limitations, seemingly with no idea what they're doing, simply following the yellow arrows, maybe with only a copy of the albergue list they got at the St. Jean pilgrim office. And usually they arrive in Santiago and enjoy their walk just as much as pilgrims who researched every detail and brought the best of the best of gear.

In my experience, how good your Camino ends up being has less to do with perfect planning, gear or knowledge, and much more with flexibility, being open minded, people around you ect. In the end it is what you make of it.

Anyway, happy planning! As you see many are still happy to discuss everything into detail, myself included. So, don't stop asking questions - it's not only you who profits from it, but other newbies, too!

But I think it is also important to remember that once you started walking it is very possible that despite having done all that research, things might not work as intended or hoped, and other things than weight of a hat, which kind of sunglasses or brand of poncho vs. umbrella ect. might be much more important, and it is not really possible to prepare for that. Planning/research is good to a point, but too much of it and it is easy to forget to focus on other things that might be even more important for a pilgrimage than gear. Just an idea, ignore it if it doesn't apply to you.

Soon you'll start walking, and I hope you'll have a great time. It must be very exciting for you. I'm probably not the only one who wishes they'd be able to walk a first Camino again, and so I really enjoy the posts of first timers, like yours 🙂.

So, even though you do ask a lot of questions 🤣 it's totally fine! Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walking in late autumn/winter on the CF I always wore waterproof Goretex lined boots with wool hiking socks and never had a blister.
After a shower I would wear indoors my "evening attire";
clean underwear,
runner's winter tights,
short sleeve technical tee shirt,
long sleeve technical tee shirt,
loose socks and sandals,
plus when bitter cold my woolly hat.

Few albergues were open. Some were heated, others not. Often the heat would be turned off during the coldest hours of the night!!

The coldest I ever slept on any CF was late February 2006 in the Hornillos del Camino then unheated public albergue where my breath hung white in the frigid interior and ice formed in the toilet bowl!! Nevertheless in my sleeping bag I was toasty dressed as above but without the sandals.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I like wearing a ball cap, cause I can tuck my braid up inside of it. It shades my eyes from the sun and when it rains, in combination with my poncho, it keeps my face dry.
Weighing things that you are going to be wearing every day is not common. If you are using your poles every day and your boots, phone, glasses, they are not something I would weigh. You pack sounds a decent weight.

Expect it to be colder in the evenings and mornings at the end of Sept. It was both times I walked that time of year. Daytimes were warm to hot, but nights weren't.

Hi, Asking questions is part of what the forum is all about. It not only helps the person asking, but many of us find answers to questions we didn’t know enough to ask. You asked about shoes to wear after walking. I wear a pair of very light weight slip on Sketchers. They are lightweight, comfortable, dry quickly, and have gone on many caminos. I also wear a ball cap. The brim keeps my Altus poncho hood from slipping over my face. If I need something on my neck, I use a bandanna. Heck, consider taking a bandanna, you’d be surprised by its many uses.

I agree with good-old-shoes, I would love to be going on my first camino. For me, it was truly life changing and addictive 😊. Enjoy. Buen Camino

Hey. Dont wory about the questions. We love answering them.

I have a bucket hat. Cheap, waterresistent from declathon. Never wear sunglasses.
Nor high heels ;-).
This time i am going to try oofos sandels. Instead of normal waterproof sandals. I walked around in them and their support is nice for after walk. They weigh 51 grams wich is also nice. Dont know yet if i can do a lot of townwalking with them. We will see.

I leave the 21 september till 5 oktober and my pack weighs 5.4 kg and i am super proud of that.
If it is cold i use my buff as a beany. There are some youtube instructions on that. Works fine.

Have fun planning, weighing, and planning again.and never stop asking questions.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey. Dont wory about the questions. We love answering them.

I have a bucket hat. Cheap, waterresistent from declathon. Never wear sunglasses.
Nor high heels ;-).
This time i am going to try oofos sandels. Instead of normal waterproof sandals. I walked around in them and their support is nice for after walk. They weigh 51 grams wich is also nice. Dont know yet if i can do a lot of townwalking with them. We will see.

I leave the 21 september till 5 oktober and my pack weighs 5.4 kg and i am super proud of that.
If it is cold i use my buff as a beany. There are some youtube instructions on that. Works fine.

Have fun planning, weighing, and planning again.and never stop asking questions.
The Oofos sandals are incredible-especially after a long day of walking. They must activate different muscles or something—but they really help in my daily “recovery”

Hi Marska -- I walked the Camino in 2015 from Sept 18-Oct 25, so it is approximately the same time of year. Skip the umbrella--you seldom get rain without wind. Regarding the poncho....you might seriously consider a lightweight rainsuit as an alternative. The coat would double as a wind-breaker, and my experience with a poncho -- I dumped it in Pamplona as it was just a sail when I wore it and it didn't keep my lower legs dry -- made the rainsuit a really flexible alternative (that I still wear in the spring and fall when walking/hiking). Once you get into Galicia, it will be damper and warmer (southwest side of the Pyrenees). My one luxury footwear was a pair of Birkenstocks that doubled as formal evening wear, slippers, and an orthopedic relief from my boots at the end of the day that I do not regret hauling across Spain for even one moment.

Buen Camino

David

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I'm walking in Sept and Oct. I am not bringing any heels. I figure it's a pilgrimage--my comfort is more important than how I look. :) Keep checking out Crocs. I saw some at an outlet in NY that were very light. I didn't buy them because I already have my lightweight shower sandals that I bought during Bed, Bath & Beyond's going out of business sale. I'll probably also wear them in the evening.

I'm bringing a rain jacket that I bought on clearance at R.E.I., a Duck Back cover to keep my backpack dry, and an Aussie hat that secures under my chin. (Think Crocodile Dundee.) It's soft and folds and can cool my head by wetting the top if needed. It was one of those "As Seen On TV" specials last year at Walmart I think. I would love to bring an umbrella but they're too heavy or too expensive. LOL

I wear glasses that change color in the sun too, so I'm not bringing sunglasses. The whole eyeglass situation has me most concerned. If they break, I can't see. So should I bring a backup pair? Are you bringing a backup pair?

Seriously, it seems like open toe flip flop-ish footwear r won't work during this time of year - I know I don't weathem at home after mid-Sept. (Nebraska - USA). So ... I've been looking for LIGHT WEIGHT shoes that will be comfy and protective - ain't seeing any. During Oct - Nov what do pilgrims wear on their feet after they have finished the days walk? Crocs seem way too heavy and I had a pair for recovery. I tried on and I don't find them particularly comfy. I'll wear pedicure-style footwear or shower caps on my feet in the shower.

As for the shoes, you can always wear socks with sandals or you might consider Oofos or similar slip-on. Lightweight and incredible recovery.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am the queen of overpacking, but I did take sunglasses, just cheap ones that if they got lost I wouldn’t be sad. I also took a cheap hat that I ended up liking very much (plus I wore a buff under it to keep my dang hair out of my face, and it hung down just enough to shield the back of my lily white neck!). For footwear, I brought EVA Birkenstocks (8 oz!) to wear after walking, and little cheapie flip-flops for showering. For rain gear, I bought an Altus poncho in Pamplona, plus a pack cover for when I didn’t want to wear it, *plus* an umbrella because the rain in Spain stays mainly in Galicia. The umbrella I only used for my late-afternoon forays into town, but it was a very compact one that took up almost no space. I’m going to try to post a photo of my cheap hat. Happy packing and Buen Camino! PS I also brought backup glasses because I can’t see without glasses!

Attachments

• IMG_4604.jpeg
    IMG_4604.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 50

€83,-
Mariska
I walked from SJPDP TO SDC from mid-September to mid—October 2017. We were blessed with wonderful weather for virtually the whole way. In the first two weeks we actually had morning temperatures in the upper thirties Fahrenheit, when you just had to layer for the first 30 minutes or so until your walking warmed you up. Further along in the Meseta we had cloudless and windless weather for 2 weeks. The high temperature never got above 72 Fahrenheit. Many nights we used our lightweight sleeping bags because of the cold albergues. Once we got into Galicia, we did have a handful of lightly raining days. The rains were welcome because that fall there were fires in Galicia. I know this was 6 years ago and maybe we were lucky. It’s really hot Spain now and it’s hard to know what the autumn will bring.

My two cents after 5 Caminos.

Re the shoes - have a look at the Allbirds line of light weight shoes. I have a pair of very light weight, thin-sole Solomon walking shoes that are next to useless anywhere but walk-about in towns, but I don't know if Soloman still makes them.

Re the hat - don't worry about the weight a sun hat that you wear all the time. You won't notice the weight.

A baseball hat (or just a sun visor) is a good option on a rainy day under the hood of a rain jacket or poncho. The stiff visor helps keep the rain out of your face.

Something like this may eliminate the need for a baseball cap: https://www.rei.com/product/894435/sunday-afternoons-ultra-adventure-hat
(Note: because you're mostly walking west before noon the back of your neck also needs sun protection.)

A light weight merino watch cap/beanie won't weigh much and could be a real asset if you hit cold weather in October on the Meseta or in the mountains after Astorga. (Remember that in cold weather you lose a lot of body heat through your head.) A buff might fit this purpose, but won't be as warm as wool.

Ponchos are great on drizzly days with little or no wind. They are not very good on windy days as they are hard to control. A good waterproof rain jacket will work in almost any weather conditions and doubles as an outer layer on cold windy days.

Skip the umbrella - it probably weighs a lot and is ineffective as rain protection on a windy day. Best use of an umbrella on the Camino is to keep the sun off you on really hot, sunny days, which shouldn't be of great concern in the autumn.

You didn't mention whether the sun glasses you have are prescription or not. If Rx, you should bring a spare pair. Consider cheap plastic clip-on shades - they weigh nothing and you probably won't need them for extended periods.

Buen Camino.

I brought a pair of Birkenstock Arizona Essentials. All the advantages of the cork soled versions but without the weight. They are waterproof so can double as shower shoes. Really nice break for my feet at the end of a day in trail runners. A little bulky I just lashed them to the outside of my pack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Umbrellas in the mountains were impossible in the conditions when I passed through them. A wide brimmed hat is ideal but will not fit under the hood of your poncho. Frankly you pays your money and takes your choice. Do you want good protection or light weight?
given the time of year that you are walking I personally would err on protection.
shoes - I never saw any high heels. Perhaps better to think of a pair of walking sandals.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Marska,

I've done two caminos in october/november. The first one (Mozarabe in Andalucia) was cold and miserable, the second one (Portugues coastal) was warm and sunny (even got a swim in).

I go lightweight and minimal: yes to sunglasses and a hat; no to a second pair of shoes, I had simple flipflops (with toesocks). As was said earlier, if you feel you need other or extra stuff, that's very easy to get along the way. You'll be in or passing through towns almost daily. Advantage, you know better what you need, and you're helping the local economy.

Keep coming with your questions, I always learn something!

Sun Glasses - as have been said in previous posts - thankfully the walk is due West; you hardly EVER have sun shining in your face. I brought a reasonably non-expensive pair w\polarizing lens... and IIRC, once i was oout of Pyrenees they spent most of the time in the backpack side pocket. It is conceivable they saw the light of the day may be 2-3 more times for the whole trip. (but, that said, technically, have them I did)

HighHeels - well nothing beats the gentleman from Italy (Giulio) I met in Fonfria who was walking on stilts. (some posts here on the Forum spoke of him.... this was mid-June 2022). Don't think you can get any heels higher than that ...
That said - sure go ahead. Will make an interesting descent into Molinaseca 😂

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In my experience, how good your Camino ends up being has less to do with perfect planning, gear or knowledge, and much more with flexibility, being open minded, people around you ect. In the end it is what you make of it........

.....Planning/research is good to a point, but too much of it and it is easy to forget to focus on other things that might be even more important for a pilgrimage than gear.
All true, but I'd like to expand a bit on the value of good planning and research of the type the originator of the thread is doing.

Certainly it's easy to go overboard with Camino prep (especially the first time out), but over-doing it can mitigate many of the problems pilgrims often encounter -- things that can distract from the joy the Camino experience offers.

This year I met someone on the trail I had chatted several times previously. As I passed, I said hello and offered that her shoulders and the backs of her neck and arms were very red from the sun. She thanked me, stopped and began digging in her pack for sunscreen, and then wondered out loud if she shouldn't just forget the whole thing and go home. She was exasperated - exhausted from the lack of sleep the night before (crowded bunk room, lots of snoring), her shoulders ached under the 11 kg load, she had bad blisters on both feet from boots she said we're too heavy and didn't quite fit right. And now she was sunburned. The pain, physical and psychological, was real. This was her first Camino and it wasn't going well. Was it time to quit?

I offered encouragement and suggested she consider stopping early in the next town less than a km ahead. She might get a private room so she could sleep. Maybe even take a rest day, and then ship her pack forward for a few days. All would be better. No need to quit now.

Diligent Camino planning will never eliminate challenging weather or the omnipresent nightly albergian chorus of snoring, but some of this pilgrim's other difficulties were avoidable: the over-loaded pack, wrong footwear, wrong clothing for the day -- and all of this was clearly detracting from, even threading, her Camino experience.

Excessive worry about the details can be part of the fun. More importantly, it may mitigate potential problems and thus enhance the overall pilgrim experience.

I like to think of compulsive Camino prep as inexpensive trip insurance.

PS. We crossed paths three or four days later. The feet were better and she was sporting a new day pack that weighed a quarter of the one Jacotrans would transport until the blisters were fully healed. Altreia! On to Santiago!

I weighed the sun hat I had planned to bring and Holy Cow! It weighs 100grams!!!!
I love my Camino hat from Frogg Toggs waterproof, packable, lightweight, and made out of paper. Yes, paper and waterproof & good for rain & sun! Buy direct from the company website or from Amazon with no delivery charge.

Attachments

• IMG_2327.jpeg
    IMG_2327.jpeg
    972.6 KB · Views: 43
Sun Glasses - as have been said in previous posts - thankfully the walk is due West; you hardly EVER have sun shining in your face. I brought a reasonably non-expensive pair w\polarizing lens... and IIRC, once i was oout of Pyrenees they spent most of the time in the backpack side pocket. It is conceivable they saw the light of the day may be 2-3 more times for the whole trip. (but, that said, technically, have them I did)

HighHeels - well nothing beats the gentleman from Italy (Giulio) I met in Fonfria who was walking on stilts. (some posts here on the Forum spoke of him.... this was mid-June 2022). Don't think you can get any heels higher than that ...
That said - sure go ahead. Will make an interesting descent into Molinaseca 😂
Stilts are certainly impressive. In April I walked a few days with a pilgrim from Portugal who had previously done the Portugués to Santiago and on to Fisterra on a unicycle!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
All true, but I'd like to expand a bit on the value of good planning and research of the type the originator of the thread is doing.

Certainly it's easy to go overboard with Camino prep (especially the first time out), but over-doing it can mitigate many of the problems pilgrims often encounter -- things that can distract from the joy the Camino experience offers.

This year I met someone on the trail I had chatted several times previously. As I passed, I said hello and offered that her shoulders and the backs of her neck and arms were very red from the sun. She thanked me, stopped and began digging in her pack for sunscreen, and then wondered out loud if she shouldn't just forget the whole thing and go home. She was exasperated - exhausted from the lack of sleep the night before (crowded bunk room, lots of snoring), her shoulders ached under the 11 kg load, she had bad blisters on both feet from boots she said we're too heavy and didn't quite fit right. And now she was sunburned. The pain, physical and psychological, was real. This was her first Camino and it wasn't going well. Was it time to quit?

I offered encouragement and suggested she consider stopping early in the next town less than a km ahead. She might get a private room so she could sleep. Maybe even take a rest day, and then ship her pack forward for a few days. All would be better. No need to quit now.

Diligent Camino planning will never eliminate challenging weather or the omnipresent nightly albergian chorus of snoring, but some of this pilgrim's other difficulties were avoidable: the over-loaded pack, wrong footwear, wrong clothing for the day -- and all of this was clearly detracting from, even threading, her Camino experience.

Excessive worry about the details can be part of the fun. More importantly, it may mitigate potential problems and thus enhance the overall pilgrim experience.

I like to think of compulsive Camino prep as inexpensive trip insurance.

PS. We crossed paths three or four days later. The feet were better and she was sporting a new day pack that weighed a quarter of the one Jacotrans would transport until the blisters were fully healed. Altreia! On to Santiago!
I met a woman and her son just outside of Sahagun the first year I walked. She was seriously heading towards death door. Unfit, unwell, overloaded, wrong shoes and was trying to do stages that didn't befit her bodily attributes (too diplomatic?). Somehow she had made it that far from SJPDP, I think mainly because her son was carrying most of the weight. Anyway, that day was the end game day. She had to get a taxi back to Sahagun. I suspect her camino was over. She had pretty much everything wrong with her and possibly sun/heat stroke to boot. She was wearing clothing like she was trekking up to Everest Base camp in winter and the temperature that day was about 30C. i thought to give her advice, but I think the son already knew what the solution was.

@MARSKA , my suggestion is to do what @VNwalking suggested. Pile it all into your rucksack. Then put it on your back. Heavy, light, comfortable? Maybe go out for a shortish 5km walk. Still good? Next do a 10km walk. Still good? Move on and get on with your camino. ;) Weight is a number. Only you know if you can carry it or not.

As to your questions.

- Any cheap pair of sunglasses will do.
- For me a hat, I don't do umbrellas. A wide(ish) brim hiking hat is fine.
- Non-walking footwear, something comfortable. I tend to wander around in crocs. Evenings are warm in October (mostly, in Galicia).

I don't like hats because they are too hot and do not provide enough coverage. You will be a lot cooler under the umbrella. I have waked 3 caminos and have not had a rainy where it was too windy to use the umbrella. You can take pictures and not have to worry about the rain or harsh sun under an umbrella. It is also more convenient for light rain and for dashing around town.

Crocs are your friends. I walked half a day in my crocs flip flop when the soles came off my Hoka shoes, and I did not want to destroy them before finding some super glue.

I don't think your the hat is too heavy for something that important; it will also reduce the amount of sun hitting your face part of the time. I wear trail runners, so I don't need to change my shoes. I do bring some dressy sandals because we often go to a major city afterwards and I like to dress up a bit, but I consider them optional on the Camino itself. (My pack, when full, is just about the 7000 grams (15 lbs.) you mention)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I discovered UIN travel shoes (made in Toledo (Spain, not Ohio), sold on Amazon) last year and I recommend them so much! You can buy a silly pair, a pretty pair, a whimsical pair… whatever you like. They will take you to museums and restaurants and can handle many many kms of wandering around town(s) at the end of any given day. They are extremely lightweight and can fit in the exterior pocket(s) of your pack when you are not wearing them (or you can hang them off your pack by their looped grosgrain at the heels).
I never bother with flip-slops after trying them at home in a gym shower. My feet slid out of them and I nearly broke my neck, definitely wrenched my back staying upright. I just dry my feet extremely well after showering, keep them bare for as long as possible before popping them into my shoes, and carry clomotrizole that I put on my feet after each shower to prevent any infection. Has worked so far.

Last edited:
UIN travel shoes
125$ a pair? Pretty.
But awful expensive.

If you don't want Crocs, search online for EVA sandals; Birkenstock has them, and there are plenty of cheap imitations. Comfy, not heavy.
Also someone upthrend suggested Oofos, and I second the suggestion - as slippers I like them a lot.

I know I didn't start this thread (thank you Marska for doing so). As another newbie who starts his adventure on the 20th September, who has around 42 days to enjoy the experience, all the information on this thread is so helpful. Your posts/replies are encouraging and motivational, as well as informative. Each has their own view of the Camino and being able to take best practice from so many who have experienced it is priceless. Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I discovered UIN travel shoes (made in Toledo, sold on Amazon) last year and I recommend them so much! You can buy a silly pair, a pretty pair, a whimsical pair… whatever you like. They will take you to museums and restaurants and can handle many many kms of wandering around town(s) at the end of any given day. They are extremely lightweight and can fit in the exterior pocket(s) of your pack when you are not wearing them (or you can hang them off your pac by their looped grosgrain at the heels).
I never bother with flip-slops after trying them at home in a gym shower. My feet slid out of them and I nearly broke my neck, definitely wrenched my back staying upright. I just dry my feet extremely well after showering, keep them bare for as long as possible before popping them into my shoes, and carry clomotrizole that I put on my feet after each shower to prevent any infection. Has worked so far.
These shoes are so cute!

I have only one thing to say. After all of your questions and the excellent advice that you have received; hope you post a report of your experiences after the first week or so of your Camino.
Agreed judging by @MARSKA general enthusiasm and openness it may well be one the most followed walks on here!

€83,-
I wear glasses that change color in the sun too, so I'm not bringing sunglasses. The whole eyeglass situation has me most concerned. If they break, I can't see. So should I bring a backup pair? Are you bringing a backup pair?
I can "make do" without reading glasses buit if I couldnt I'd surely bring 2 prs. I lose things.

€46,-
Just add socks. It is not that cold in October. Check out those neoprene water shoes if you worry about cold feet.
Si! I did buy a pair of Sealskinz socks.

***Thoughts...in case of windy conditions - wont some type of belt cinched around a poncho keep it from flying about?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi. Yes hat, yes sun glasses, and yes sufficient rain cover, whatever that may be. I bought poncho from pilgrim shop in SJPP. Loved it. Walked sept 30th to November 2022. I wore sandals each evening ....without socks but I tend to run warm. Ohhh and take flip flops for the shower. I tried the shower cap route and it was very frustrating. Ended up buying flip flops there and was much happier. The weight of flip flops won't break you. Buen camino. Start to relax. It is going to be ok.

I've skipped 50-some posts to get right down to posting about a shoe I saw in a YouTube ad that I thought might appeal to some peregrinas. I haven't read anything about them or even viewed much of the ad so you're on your own in deciding if they are any good, in general or for Camino use.

Their website:

Or check out YouTube with a search for hyperarchmotion.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

For me, no sunglasses; a bucket hat. Water resistant jacket to wear rain or shine. Poncho for RAIN (wind got under it and nearly lifted me off my feet) got wet anyway. Shoes - KEEN sandals to walk, something else - light - for evenings. Flip-flops for showers. There are stores along the way for nearly anything you may find you need.....

Don't worry about asking questions Marska, people here are more than happy to help out.

Take sunglasses -you will certainly need them. Any outdoor shop can set you up with a good pair.

100 grams is not unreasonable for a hat. You will certainly need one as the Spanish sun can be very intense. A hat is certainly much lighter than an umbrella, which will not be as effective as a poncho for keeping the water off.

I have no experience with high heels so I can't comment,:p however I personally wear cheap knockoff crocks which are very light and comfortable, but check out all the lightweight sandals and you will find something.
I’m not the best when it comes to hats. I used a light weight, very thin scarf to drape Ofer my head and right arm when the sun got really intense. I used that scarf a lot!

Hat - I'd say yes. Preferrably one that doesn't mind being folded and getting wet. Weight doesn't really matter because it will probably be on your head and not in the backpack 😉. With a hat you don't need sunglasses. Enjoy to see the world around you in all its colours! On the Francés the sun will usually be in your back, anyway, unless you walk late evenings.

Poncho - yes. Wouldn't replace it with an umbrella, but that's personal choice. I've had a poncho since Camino #1 in 2015 and would never leave for a hike without one. It also adds warmth and protects against wind should it get colder than anticipated, something an umbrella can't do. But also, personal choice.

I've stopped weighing and listing every single item and somehow my baseweight usually always is ~8-9kgs including full camping gear, which works for me. So I don't really worry anymore about 100g (edit: or even a kilo 🤣) here or there.

As a sidenote, it can be a lot of fun to discuss gear, packing lists, Pack weight ect., especially between Caminos or while waiting for your pilgrimage to begin. But it is even more fun when you notice after you started walking, that all of those discussions are not really needed. You might see pilgrims in jeans and old tennis shoes, with cheap backpacks, garbage bags as ponchos and plastic bags over their shoes in the rain, old/broken/no phones, no language skills, maybe even with physical limitations, seemingly with no idea what they're doing, simply following the yellow arrows, maybe with only a copy of the albergue list they got at the St. Jean pilgrim office. And usually they arrive in Santiago and enjoy their walk just as much as pilgrims who researched every detail and brought the best of the best of gear.

In my experience, how good your Camino ends up being has less to do with perfect planning, gear or knowledge, and much more with flexibility, being open minded, people around you ect. In the end it is what you make of it.

Anyway, happy planning! As you see many are still happy to discuss everything into detail, myself included. So, don't stop asking questions - it's not only you who profits from it, but other newbies, too!

But I think it is also important to remember that once you started walking it is very possible that despite having done all that research, things might not work as intended or hoped, and other things than weight of a hat, which kind of sunglasses or brand of poncho vs. umbrella ect. might be much more important, and it is not really possible to prepare for that. Planning/research is good to a point, but too much of it and it is easy to forget to focus on other things that might be even more important for a pilgrimage than gear. Just an idea, ignore it if it doesn't apply to you.

Soon you'll start walking, and I hope you'll have a great time. It must be very exciting for you. I'm probably not the only one who wishes they'd be able to walk a first Camino again, and so I really enjoy the posts of first timers, like yours 🙂.

So, even though you do ask a lot of questions 🤣 it's totally fine! Buen Camino!
Such a wonderful answer

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I like wearing a ball cap, cause I can tuck my braid up inside of it. It shades my eyes from the sun and when it rains, in combination with my poncho, it keeps my face dry.
Weighing things that you are going to be wearing every day is not common. If you are using your poles every day and your boots, phone, glasses, they are not something I would weigh. You pack sounds a decent weight.

Expect it to be colder in the evenings and mornings at the end of Sept. It was both times I walked that time of year. Daytimes were warm to hot, but nights weren't.
The other reason I like a baseball cap is that you can put a small towel or poly pro type garment underneath and drape it back over you neck, legionnaire style, for extra sun protection. By having multiple purposes for items, you can eliminate the need for the perfect hat, for instance.😁

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The other reason I like a baseball cap is that you can put a small towel or poly pro type garment underneath and drape it back over you neck, legionnaire style, for extra sun protection. By having multiple purposes for items, you can eliminate the need for the perfect hat, for instance.😁
Or exactly what @cindyjo said😂

To each his\her own but thats EXACTLY what I did with my wide-brimmed hat a20220523_163449.jpg

Mariska
I walked from SJPDP TO SDC from mid-September to mid—October 2017. We were blessed with wonderful weather for virtually the whole way. In the first two weeks we actually had morning temperatures in the upper thirties Fahrenheit, when you just had to layer for the first 30 minutes or so until your walking warmed you up. Further along in the Meseta we had cloudless and windless weather for 2 weeks. The high temperature never got above 72 Fahrenheit. Many nights we used our lightweight sleeping bags because of the cold albergues. Once we got into Galicia, we did have a handful of lightly raining days. The rains were welcome because that fall there were fires in Galicia. I know this was 6 years ago and maybe we were lucky. It’s really hot Spain now and it’s hard to know what the autumn will bring.
bbbanks1217 is so correct when saying about the weather, "it's hard to know what the autumn will bring." What the weather used to be any time of year is now not an indicator of what it will be this year. If you're not already doing so, before you do your final packing, start checking weather.com (or similar source) for the next 15 days in the area where you'll be walking. They are not 100% accurate on the longer-term forecasts, but their predictions are pretty helpful (the company is now part of IBM and they use the latest weather software available) . And you can never go wrong with a medium-weight fleece in the fall!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, to an extra pair of glasses. I always bring a pair with me, though I have never lost mine, it is good to know that that extra pair is there. It isn't like they weigh a ton.
With ponchos, if you are wearing an Altus, it does not flap in the wind, so you do not need a belt. You also don't need a pack cover. Some days it was on and off 10 times, and it hangs off of your pack when the rain stops. Easy to put back on.
Have taken sunglasses, but never wear them. The sun is always at my back and the ball cap shades my eyes and face. Took a knitted cap once in the fall and never wore it. Walking over the Pyrenees this past spring, it was pretty cold and windy, so put my buff on over my head and ears and plopped the baseball cap on over it. Worked perfectly.

Ditch the umbrella, wind and rain it will be useless, baseball cap better than wide brimmed hat as it works better with the altus poncho, stick with the poncho, provides better all round protection from rain if you do hit a wet patch. So 1 pair of shoes for walking (trail runners) and sandals, preferably eva lightweight sandals like UA, Nike, Birkenstock, avoid sandals with canvas and other materials that can get wet in the shower. Your weight sounds good, avoid adding too much more and buy if you need, agree on cheapie sunnies, always around 30g. I would get a sea to summit ultra sil daypack for a lazy day of slack packing every now and then, they weigh only 30-60 grams and has a lifetime of use.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.