• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Enquiry about foot care, bunions, weather…..

Artykat

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2019
Hi folks I’m due to start my second Camino in 2 weeks time. I’m sure a lot has changed since September 2019. During my last Camino I followed all the great advice here and didn’t get a single blister…. my morning routine was to smear my feet with Vaseline and cover with talcum powder before putting on socks and shoes. just wondering if this is still a ‘thing’? Or have you moved on from this practice to more advanced means?
I have a bunion which has just flared up in the last few days and any advice here would be most welcome.
Lastly, how is the weather in Spain now? Apart from the heat does the weather get chilly there in the evenings? Does it rain much? I’m trying to curtail my load. My route will start from Los Argos for 7 walking days .
I got the best advice here on this forum for my last Camino and it makes me feel I already have a lot of friends here. I have been wearing Altra lone peak shoes for the past 4 years not only for Camino but everyday walking because of the wide toe box (bunions) and the sheer comfort. So a big thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Foot care is such an individual thing. I simply wear decent socks, change them/ air them out at least once during the day, remove socks and shoes anytime I stop for 10 minutes or more - just as you probably did on your last Camino.
The only time I've ever had a blister was when I followed the advice here on the forum and Vaselined my feet!
Whatever you do in training, continue on the Way.
Buen Camino!

@Artykat footcare has been one of the more important items for me to check into. Finally got my footwear sorted thru lots of hiking this year. No problems with blisters until this week.

When you research the site, it comes up that sandals are often used. So I got a pair of Chaco’s that fit well, and I broke them in gradually. Tuesday was my maiden voyage on a crushed rock trail for 12 K, and felt a hot spot on each foot right at the end of the walk. I watched the blister care videos and dressed them as directed. Doing ok so far.

For me the moral of the story is simply, things happen, and we adapt. Do a search on the site - it sure has helped me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi folks I’m due to start my second Camino in 2 weeks time. I’m sure a lot has changed since September 2019. During my last Camino I followed all the great advice here and didn’t get a single blister…. my morning routine was to smear my feet with Vaseline and cover with talcum powder before putting on socks and shoes. just wondering if this is still a ‘thing’? Or have you moved on from this practice to more advanced means?
I have a bunion which has just flared up in the last few days and any advice here would be most welcome.
Lastly, how is the weather in Spain now? Apart from the heat does the weather get chilly there in the evenings? Does it rain much? I’m trying to curtail my load. My route will start from Los Argos for 7 walking days .
I got the best advice here on this forum for my last Camino and it makes me feel I already have a lot of friends here. I have been wearing Altra lone peak shoes for the past 4 years not only for Camino but everyday walking because of the wide toe box (bunions) and the sheer comfort. So a big thanks in advance for any tips or advice.
I walked the Frances from SJPDP this year. I wore Salomon trailster 2 gtx and thinish Merino mix socks, one pair not two, used Elastoplast wound ointment on my feet every day, much the same as Vaseline only much thicker. No blisters at all for the whole thing. Everyone is different but if something worked for you before , I’d do it again.

I thought that it was Vaseline or talcum powder, but if Vaseline and talcum powder worked for you in 2019 I don't see any reason to change.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
my morning routine was to smear my feet with Vaseline and cover with talcum powder before putting on socks and shoes. just wondering if this is still a ‘thing’? Or have you moved on from this practice to more advanced means?
My impression is that we see less of the Vaseline + powder recommendations now - perhaps replaced by the much more convenient thin paper and flexible elastic tapes that are available. Many of us routinely put OmnIfix or similar "dressing retention tape" on the vulnerable areas of our feet every morning. In my experience, it is simple, easy to replace, less messy, and quite effective.

The only alleviation I know for a bunion is to wear shoes that don't compress my toes or forefeet and have some cushion but not much heel. If your Altras aren't working for you anymore, you need either bigger Altras or a shoe that has all of what I've mentioned. It's not impossible that your bunion has worsened to the point that your old shoes no longer fit.

(Not wading into the blister discussion...my mileage varies greatly from other people on that topic). But bunions are a mechanical sort of fault, which I have had.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Love my Altra Timp 4 for extra cushion, but I just started wearing a pair of Topo Ultraventure 3 with vibrant soles & they are like walking on clouds over rocks & not too cushiony & like Altras have wide toe box. I’m ecstatic! And cheaper! I did what you do with grease & powder, but then I discovered Ininji five finger liner socks & Wright socks. I wear both pairs one inside the other & no grease or powder necessary. My secondary shoes are Teva hiking sandals using same socks & I wear a pair of Smart wool socks on damp to rainy days. Smart wool draws moisture away from feet. If a deluge, I put a plastic hand grocery sack over each foot & sandal them in. No problem. I have bunions & both these footwear work for me with no soreness at the end of day. Done Camino twice that way. But if you don’t do that way, taking shoes & socks off at rest stops & if need be change socks, that works pretty well, too. Like someone else said, don’t take your shoes off in a café bar. HA! OK, at outdoor seating. Buen Camino!

Love my Altra Timp 4 for extra cushion, but I just started wearing a pair of Topo Ultraventure 3 with vibrant soles & they are like walking on clouds over rocks & not too cushiony & like Altras have wide toe box. I’m ecstatic! And cheaper! I did what you do with grease & powder, but then I discovered Ininji five finger liner socks & Wright socks. I wear both pairs one inside the other & no grease or powder necessary. My secondary shoes are Teva hiking sandals using same socks & I wear a pair of Smart wool socks on damp to rainy days. Smart wool draws moisture away from feet. If a deluge, I put a plastic hand grocery sack over each foot & sandal them in. No problem. I have bunions & both these footwear work for me with no soreness at the end of day. Done Camino twice that way. But if you don’t do that way, taking shoes & socks off at rest stops & if need be change socks, that works pretty well, too. Like someone else said, don’t take your shoes off in a café bar. HA! OK, at outdoor seating. Buen Camino!
Thank you so much for the great tips. Brilliant footcare advice there, I’ve taken a copy of it as it will no doubt be useful. Have just looked up Topo Ultraventure 3 and they have them at Berg Freunde where They also sell Altras. Have just bought a new pair half size up but will certainly consider trying the Topo. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.