• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another packing review.

WandererJolie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (July, 2015)
What the hay, I figured I'd add my packing list up here too, since everyone gives such awesome advice. :)
Walking Camino del Norte in July and August from SJPdP.

Backpack (with raincover) 35L
Laundry bag
Handbag
Fannypack (bumbag)

Sleeping bag liner (lightweight)
Pillowcase

Long-sleeve shirt ā€“ X1 (considering maybe X2?)
t-shirt (merino) ā€“ X2
poncho
Jacket ā€“ rain-proof (Will I need a jacket? I've got a poncho.)

Convertible cargo pants
Capris
Tights (capri-length ā€“ sleep/relax)
Skirt (lightweight ā€“ relax)

Tilley Hat
Buff

Socks ā€“ wool ā€“ X3 pair
Sock liners X3 pair
Underwear ā€“ X3
Bras ā€“ X2

Hiking shoes (well-broken-in, already! :D )
Comfy shoes ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSIDO2S/?tag=casaivar02-20 )

Towels (quick-dry) ā€“ X2
(WayWalker63 mentioned they're taking a Turkish towel, which I had never heard of! Checked it out, and I may buy one.)

Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Deodorant
Razor with extra blades
Shampoo bar
Ivory
Lip balm
Roll of toilet paper
Sink plug

First aid kit (Bandaids, gauze, tweezers, polysporin, antiseptic wipes)
Advanced Healing Blister pads? (Buy Compeed there?)
Ibuprofin
Immodium
Acetaminophen

S-hook
Mini-Sewing kit
Safety pins X6
Dental floss
Ziploc and other plastic bags (A few different sizes)
Clothes pins X6

Headlamp (with red filter)
Spork
Knife (buy there)
Waterbottle
Phone and charger with plug adapter
Camera with chips and batteries
Journal
Sketch book
Pencil, eraser and sharpener
Pen
Guidebooks(I do have info digitized, but I feel more comfortable knowing that I've got paper copies, too.)

Safe bag
Money
Passport
Credenciale

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't have yet weights for each item, but it comes to 9% of my body weight (it doesn't include food, so I would be sitting at about 10-11% of my body weight with food.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
I haven't done that route or that season. I would leave out several of the smaller items (e.g. sink plug, clothes pins, handbag) but everyone has different small preferences. If it is not much more than 10% of your weight (assuming "normal") then it should be fine.

Don't forget sunscreen and probably some moisturizer or cream for your feet. Also a cotton bandana might be nice in the hot weather.

Good list, I don't think you need 2 towels and a traditional Turkish towel would not dry quickly enough, 2 pairs of convertible pants, lots of people swear by their flip-flops in the shower (the stalls can be pretty disgusting at times) the pillow case is optional, a sink plug is not necessary, add a corkscrew and you really don't need to carry food with you during the day, just shop when you stop for doing a meal if you plan to prepare food that evening. I carry 1/2 L bottle of water in my pocket and fill it regularly. There is always an empty 1.5L bottle in my backpack which I carry filled on the long day where fountains are few and far between.

Good list, I don't think you need 2 towels and a traditional Turkish towel would not dry quickly enough, 2 pairs of convertible pants, lots of people swear by their flip-flops in the shower (the stalls can be pretty disgusting at times) the pillow case is optional, a sink plug is not necessary, add a corkscrew and you really don't need to carry food with you during the day, just shop when you stop for doing a meal if you plan to prepare food that evening. I carry 1/2 L bottle of water in my pocket and fill it regularly. There is always an empty 1.5L bottle in my backpack which I carry filled on the long day where fountains are few and far between.
ditto on the rubber flip-flops......you don't want a case of Camino foot fungus

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some items you don't need - only one small towel, no laundry bag (a regular light plastic bag does the job), no toilet paper roll, no sink plug, no pillow case. I drink wine (in the evenings) and never needed my own cork screw.
Why do you carry a camera? A smart phone with a good camera will do.
What handbag do you intend to take with you?
Hiking boots plus flip-flops are enough.
I have noticed that women's packing lists usually include three or four times more bags of various types than men's.
I weigh 95 kilos at the moment. In summer, the weight of my Camino rucksack is about 6 kilos, plus food and drink.

Thank you all for your replies. I just knew this forum would come through with awesome advice.
Ooops, sunscreen is on the list, too! My husband would be most unhappy with me if I sunburned on my travels again (I got a pretty spectacular burn on our honeymoon, and he's spent the last ten years reminding me to put on sunscreen!)
Hmmm, will rethink the Turkish towel, but I might include it and eliminate the skirt.
I was planning to try and find the opinel no 10 (with the corkscrew). Don't want to be without vino!
Handbag is a simple light tote bag that folds down small.
The camera on my phone is of quite poor quality. I was just going to buy a small digital one, but I may rethink it and practice more with the phone (maybe it's "user error", rather than the phone's quality, haha!)

For what they are worth (based on July-August 2014 on the Frances route, so take this with a grain or two of salt). I've only commented where I saw an issue--everything else looked great:

Pillowcase--I did not find necessary. I used a shirt when necessary.

Long-sleeve shirt ā€“ X1 (considering maybe X2?): I'd suggest two things for your top half, and that they both be long-sleeved. The sun that time of year is merciless.
t-shirt (merino) ā€“ X2: I'd leave behind for the reasons above.
poncho
Jacket ā€“ rain-proof : Either a jacket/pants/pack cover (or pack liner) or poncho. Both are unnecessary. That time of the year I'd go with a good (waterproof/breathable) poncho.

Convertible cargo pants
Capris
Tights (capri-length ā€“ sleep/relax)
Skirt (lightweight ā€“ relax): As above, two things for your bottom half. Pick which ever two are most versatile.

Socks ā€“ wool ā€“ X3 pair: This appears to be the old mountain hiking system: thin liners inside heavy wool socks. Great for mountains; not so good for the Camino. They were part of the reason my feet overheated and I grew a bumper crop of blisters. Look at a single pair of light hiking socks (Coolmax or otherwise).
Sock liners X3 pair: Three or even four pairs of socks is not unreasonable, especially if you are changing out every 90 minutes, as I ended up doing to keep them dry (note: the Norte may be cooler).
Underwear ā€“ X3 Times Two only
Bras ā€“ X2 Times Two only

Towels (quick-dry) ā€“ X2 One quick drying camp towel worked for both my wife and I for the entire Camino.
(WayWalker63 mentioned they're taking a Turkish towel, which I had never heard of! Checked it out, and I may buy one.)

Sink plug I just used a bandana or sock

S-hook I'm very leery of carrying small hunks of metal across Spain. If necessary, just use a bit of rope.

Ziploc and other plastic bags (A few different sizes) Get some of the huge 2 gal. size to put your camera and phone and clothes in while you shower--many showers lack vestibules where clothing and electronics will not get wet.
Clothes pins X6 I used a dozen safety pins, and wished I had two dozen for my wife and I. Start to add it up. A shirt takes two, pants/skirt takes two, underwear one each. That's already six and you have not got to socks and towel yet.

Spork We just got, eventually broke, and got more plastic spoons as needed for yogurt, etc. Grocery stores and everyone else would give them out, and they we much lighter.

Guidebooks(I do have info digitized, but I feel more comfortable knowing that I've got paper copies, too.) I too was very nervous about using only a digital guidebook. My wife almost had to pry my Brierley out of my hands. I am so glad she did. The digitial worked perfectly. I may never carry a paper map again.

Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Laundry bag - why? You will be doing laundry daily.
Handbag - why? Just why?
Pillowcase - yes, more hygenic, if not for you at least for those that will sleep in your bed the next day ;0)
Long-sleeve shirt ā€“ X1 (considering maybe X2?) - no just one. If it's cold and you want to wear it two days in a row, where your merino t under it.
Jacket ā€“ rain-proof (Will I need a jacket? I've got a poncho.) Jacket is good in early morning when it might be chillly, and for light drizzle.
Buff - never understood the need for these, but they don't weigh much I suppose.
Sock liners X3 pair - look into an alternative to liners: perhaps built into the sock, so they don't end up bunching up at the bottom of your foot every 5 minutes.
Underwear ā€“ X3 - 2 will do.
Comfy shoes ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSIDO2S/?tag=casaivar02-20 ) - quick drying so you can put them on when you are out of the shower?
Towels (quick-dry) ā€“ X2 - 1, why would you want 2?
Razor with extra blades - why?
Ivory - why? You have a shampoo bar.
Roll of toilet paper - don't bring a full one, a fairly empty one will do
Dental floss - really?
Ziploc and other plastic bags (A few different sizes) - why?
Knife (buy there) - what for?
Waterbottle
Sketch book ;0) Good for you!
Pencil, eraser and sharpener ;0)
Pen
Guidebooks(I do have info digitized, but I feel more comfortable knowing that I've got paper copies, too.) - Just photocopy them in super small size.
Safe bag - what is this? How is that not part of the bumbag? - If it is, leave the bumbag home.

Thank you all for your replies. I just knew this forum would come through with awesome advice.
Ooops, sunscreen is on the list, too! My husband would be most unhappy with me if I sunburned on my travels again (I got a pretty spectacular burn on our honeymoon, and he's spent the last ten years reminding me to put on sunscreen!)
Hmmm, will rethink the Turkish towel, but I might include it and eliminate the skirt.
I was planning to try and find the opinel no 10 (with the corkscrew). Don't want to be without vino!
Handbag is a simple light tote bag that folds down small.
The camera on my phone is of quite poor quality. I was just going to buy a small digital one, but I may rethink it and practice more with the phone (maybe it's "user error", rather than the phone's quality, haha!)
I think that would probably be best. It's your first Camino. Take good photos. I'm glad I brought a good digital camera on my first Camino. I took about 500 photos, and it's nice to look at them now. Brings back good Camino memories. They make some really good, small and lightweight (and not too expensive) digital cameras these days.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What kind of "handbag" do you mean? I take a lightweight sinthetic material emergency tote bag ("avoska" if anybody knows that name for a little pocket bag), that wraps smaller than a hankerchief. About 20g weight.
What do you mean by "Ivory"? Hopefully not elephant bone? Maybe its something that I need too?
And instead of clothespins you may take more safetypins, use them for securing clothes to line. Those take less space and are lighter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Forgot to add: I also take big (150x150cm) real silk shawl - can be used as shawl, sunscreen, hat, extra towel, curtain - whatever is necessary. Folds small, weights next to nothing.

A corkscrew may not be "necessary", but be warned... I found on the few occasions I wanted to buy a bottles, that very few Spanish wines seemed come with screw tops! So I ended up buying a corkscrew.
I will be buying a knife anyway, so thought one with the corkscrew already on it would be good. I definitely know that if there's one thing I don't want to be without, it's wine, haha.

I'd suggest adding BodyGlide for blister prevention
Buen Camino!
Thanks. I haven't had too much trouble with blisters while training, and those I did have sorted themselves with the double layer of socks. Still might be worth taking along. Is there many possibilities of purchasing it along the Norte?

What kind of "handbag" do you mean? I take a lightweight sinthetic material emergency tote bag ("avoska" if anybody knows that name for a little pocket bag), that wraps smaller than a hankerchief. About 20g weight.
What do you mean by "Ivory"? Hopefully not elephant bone? Maybe its something that I need too?
And instead of clothespins you may take more safetypins, use them for securing clothes to line. Those take less space and are lighter.
Yep, a little "avoska". And yes, I'll swap out the clothes pins for safety pins.

Thanks again so much for all of your valuable advice! You're all amazing!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Laundry bag - why? You will be doing laundry daily. - more to keep clothes separated in the backpack, ready to just grab in the morning in the albergue.
Handbag - why? Just why? LOL! Just in case? ;)
Pillowcase - yes, more hygenic, if not for you at least for those that will sleep in your bed the next day ;0)
Long-sleeve shirt ā€“ X1 (considering maybe X2?) - no just one. If it's cold and you want to wear it two days in a row, where your merino t under it. - Good idea.
Jacket ā€“ rain-proof (Will I need a jacket? I've got a poncho.) Jacket is good in early morning when it might be chillly, and for light drizzle.
Buff - never understood the need for these, but they don't weigh much I suppose.
Sock liners X3 pair - look into an alternative to liners: perhaps built into the sock, so they don't end up bunching up at the bottom of your foot every 5 minutes. - I've not had a problem with bunching. They have helped me with avoiding blisters.
Underwear ā€“ X3 - 2 will do.
Comfy shoes ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSIDO2S/?tag=casaivar02-20 ) - quick drying so you can put them on when you are out of the shower? - so far as I know. :)
Towels (quick-dry) ā€“ X2 - 1, why would you want 2? - will take only one.
Razor with extra blades - why? - shaving's my thing. Some take makeup... I need to have smooth legs. My luxury item.
Ivory - why? You have a shampoo bar. - will consider ditching, but I'm not sure about doing laundry with the shampoo bar... will give it a try at home and see. Maybe I'll ditch the shampoo bar and just use the Ivory.
Roll of toilet paper - don't bring a full one, a fairly empty one will do - good advice.
Dental floss - really? - Absolutely!
Ziploc and other plastic bags (A few different sizes) - why? - Again, keeping things separate in the backpack, and keeping things dry.
Knife (buy there) - what for? - Queso! Yum!
Waterbottle
Sketch book ;0) Good for you! - Super-stoked to do a drawing everyday!
Pencil, eraser and sharpener ;0)
Pen
Guidebooks(I do have info digitized, but I feel more comfortable knowing that I've got paper copies, too.) - Just photocopy them in super small size. - Another great idea!
Safe bag - what is this? How is that not part of the bumbag? - If it is, leave the bumbag home. - This goes inside my clothing - with things like passport and cash. I'll just put enough cash needed in the day in the bumbag, along with other small essentials I'll need in the day, as well as my waterbottle.
Thanks Anemone for all of your feedback!

I sometimes used my shopping bag (the light, folding type) as a pillowcase.
I second the scarf/sarong. This can also be a towel.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Anemone for all of your feedback!
Jolie, regarding the plastic bags, you are right, separating items is handy. I have a bag for bedtime stuff, one for when I get to the albergue: towel, laundry stuff, etc. BUT if you want your fellow pilgrims to like you, instead of plastic bags, which can be noisy, opt of nylon mesh bags like these: http://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=casaivar02-20

As if you are part of the group that likes to get up super early, and have a JawBone of Fit, one of these bracelets that serve as pedometers but also vibrating alarm clocks, by all means, bring it. The silent vibrating alarm clock is my favourite feature of mine.

Jolie, regarding the plastic bags, you are right, separating items is handy. I have a bag for bedtime stuff, one for when I get to the albergue: towel, laundry stuff, etc. BUT if you want your fellow pilgrims to like you, instead of plastic bags, which can be noisy, opt of nylon mesh bags like these: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/191-3460186-4531141?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=nylon+mesh+bags&tag=camiforu-20

As if you are part of the group that likes to get up super early, and have a JawBone of Fit, one of these bracelets that serve as pedometers but also vibrating alarm clocks, by all means, bring it. The silent vibrating alarm clock is my favourite feature of mine.
What?!?!?! I want other pilgrims to like me!?!?? Pft, well that's that, I guess. lol o_O
I suppose that they'll be cranky with me anyway, as I am an Olympic-class snorer, according to my husband. Maybe I should pack a whole bunch of earplugs for my fellow peregrinos. Then the bag noise won't matter! haha!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What?!?!?! I want other pilgrims to like me!?!?? Pft, well that's that, I guess. lol o_O
I suppose that they'll be cranky with me anyway, as I am an Olympic-class snorer, according to my husband. Maybe I should pack a whole bunch of earplugs for my fellow peregrinos. Then the bag noise won't matter! haha!
As far as world class snorers are concerned, I've been given awards in Logrono and many points beyond. But I will admit the noise of the crinkle-crackle of plastic bags early in the morning is more irritating than me waking myself up snoring. There should be a law!

What are the opinions on taking hiking boots, comfy shoes, and flip flops? Are all three needed. I'm considering all but will drop the comfy shoes if the weight is too much.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
What are the opinions on taking hiking boots, comfy shoes, and flip flops? Are all three needed. I'm considering all but will drop the comfy shoes if the weight is too much.
I'm assuming the "comfy shoes" are not comfortable walking shoes, but comfortable lounging in the albuergue shoes. In which case, definitely drop them. "Nice to have" went in the same pile I left behind as "might need in an emergency."

Actually, I'm not sure I'd take any of those items, at least on a summer camino. My reason for not taking hiking boot in the summer has been detailed on a previous thread. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...orked-what-did-not-for-a-summer-camino.31137/

I'm also not sure I'd take flip-flops. I think most people take them for the showers, but I found bare feet were fine, without any athletes foot problems (a little underarm deodorant takes care of that anyway).

At the end of some rather extensive shoe shopping to Santiago, I ended up with a pair of Keen walking sandals and a pair of Merrel trial shoes. Were I to do it again, I'd still carry two pairs of footwear I could walk in, but would swap the trail shoes for running shoes designed for concrete and asphalt (there is more of that on the Camino than you want to know or I want to remember). In the alburgues, I'd leave whatever pair I was most recently wearing in the "boot rack" at the door, and just change into the other one. Assuming these two pairs of shoes are comfortable (and if they are not, you have a bigger problem), I think that would be all you need.

YMMV. Ultreia.
Jo Jo

Thanks for your advice. Two pairs of shoes sounds sensible.
In my case the 'comfy' shoes would be a jogger or a chaco amphibian hiking sandal that could be used for walking smooth terrain. I'm doing the Primitivo in May so I think the hiker would be necessary for me given rough terrain and mud. They are a minimalistic lightweight hiker at 470 g. including orthotic. The hiking sandal can be used in water i.e. shower, but it has mesh that takes a while to dry and so wouldn't be good to use in the evening as well.. In that case the flip flops are a lot lighter. The joggers are a total of 92 g lighter than the sandals. The sandals could be used in the shower if it happens to be gross. Ultimately it will come down to how much weight I can carry.

Anna,

That sounds reasonable. Anyone who knows the weight of their gear in grams is probably making the best choices they can, and my opinion on boots is not based on the primitivo, nor on May weather, so please ignore it.

Buen Camino.
Jo Jo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Jo Jo, I just read your analysis of your gear. It was very interesting, especially the boot experience. My daughter encouraged me to buy the hiker I mentioned. I have a leather heavier boot that I use in winter and I use the lighter one in summer due to the heat. I discovered that in the heat, even in the lighter boot I can only wear one thin wool hiking sock or my feet sweat and I get too much friction. I've never had blisters with that boot but I know experienced back country backpackers that suddenly get them despite broken in boots and the best sock 'arsenal'.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesnā€™t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; Iā€™m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) Iā€™ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Hereā€™s my final packing list (excluding basic...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back