• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another way to see pack transport

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I carried my pack on the Camino, and plan to again this year. However it occurred to me that it is not actually more "authentically" pilgrimish to carry a modern backpack than to have it ferried to the next albergue by a service. The early pilgrims did not carry backpacks on the Camino. From what I've read and the pictures and statues I've seen, etc., they either had a very small bag (nothing like the big backpacks full of modern gear we carry) or they had a horse or donkey to carry their gear and supplies.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Walk with a donkey by all means. You will wish you had carried twice the weight instead. These creatures do require care, and € along the way as well as up front.

I spent a pleasant half day with a family walking with two donkeys (to transport the two toddlers, and gear). The donkeys could only do a maximum of 10km a day. Even that was a struggle. So it was a very slow camino. The donkeys also need a lot of care and getting good nutritious food was a constant headache. The family were well prepared and enjoying themselves, but it is not a simple undertaking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There have been times (especially after several consecutive days of rain) when I have wondered if the early pilgrims could possibly have been more smelly than those of today even without a change of clothes. :p:p:p

I agree that part of why I carry my pack is to ensure that I do not carry anything unnecessary. Part of the "casting off care" is casting off stuff. There seems to be a correlation between physical weight and emotional/mental weight. It certainly means less decision making. No agonising over what to wear!

I carry my back oackmso it doesn't get bedbugs in the van, somImcan have access to my stuff at any time, to lose more weight, and ... because I can. It never occured to me to used a mochilero. Now that ai know they exist, I don't use them because of,all the reasons above, plus why should I get away with that ease and a cheap bed when others carry theirs.

Plus, I am no queen or any part of the nobility to have people run ahead informing the albergue of my arrival. ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had a donkey, growing up, and we hiked together often. On the Camino, I imagined having a donkey along and could see lots of logistical problems with it. However I do miss my donkey.

Here is one waiting for you in Sarria!44Sarria.jpg

Taken on a recent walk along the North Wales Pilgrim's Way with two friends. The four-legged ones are local and have the good luck to live with a lovely lady who was our host for the night. Only the two-legged ones were actually walking and carrying anything. An uncharitable friend labelled the photo as "six donkeys" which I thought was an insult to such beautiful friendly creatures :)
donkeys.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Your cloak was the sleeping bag. Around your waist was a belt to which was attached a cup, bowl, pouch, knife. In the sack was a bit of fruit and maybe one extra shirt if you were fortunate enough to own one.

There were no shower items, no extra shoes, forget any socks or stuff bags or rain gear. The modern items we carry did not exist.

No need for a donkey.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love donkeys, although I won't be walking the Camino with one. One of my favorite Camino Books is
Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago
by Tim Moore

Definitely one of my top favourite Camino books.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
303.JPG To comment on your original statement, I carried my heavy, over-stuffed pack too, and was thankful for the health and strength to do so. If I had needed assistance, I would have used the transport system too. I made many friends along the way that did this. I am no expert on 'authenticity' and have no right to judge decisions made by other pilgrims along The Way. We're all in this together. I ran into a couple of guys last fall that had walked from Hungary with two mules! They did ask for food money in exchange for a couple of pics I took of them and the mules. Food money for the animals! In broken English they explained to me the animals were by far the biggest expense of their trip. I was happy to help them out. I read stuff from you guys every day and I miss the Camino greatly. Some day soon I'll find a way to return. Buen Camino.

Awwww! There's one albergue on the CF with tables on a big lawn with animals roaming around, mixing with the pilgrims. I watched a donkey use his teeth to open the spigot on a fountain faucet so that he and another burro pal could take a drink.
Somebody has to do the Donkey work:rolleyes:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
View attachment 35684 To comment on your original statement, I carried my heavy, over-stuffed pack too, and was thankful for the health and strength to do so. If I had needed assistance, I would have used the transport system too. I made many friends along the way that did this. I am no expert on 'authenticity' and have no right to judge decisions made by other pilgrims along The Way. We're all in this together. I ran into a couple of guys last fall that had walked from Hungary with two mules! They did ask for food money in exchange for a couple of pics I took of them and the mules. Food money for the animals! In broken English they explained to me the animals were by far the biggest expense of their trip. I was happy to help them out. I read stuff from you guys every day and I miss the Camino greatly. Some day soon I'll find a way to return. Buen Camino.

Hey Frank. I ran into these guys along the way as well. Very interesting and I was happy to give a little to assist with the animals. I went back last Spring, after meeting you in the Fall, and completed the last 400
k's. Taking a friend back in October for a walk in an undetermined location of the Frances. It would be nice to meet up with you on the road again in the future ...Jim

I'm still waiting to hear about someone walking with a mule. I know both from experience and mules are much stronger and less demanding re food and care. That's why armies used them even in the harshest terrain and weather (like in the Alps and battle of Soča/Isonzo river in WW1). Less stubborn too ;)
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/08/difference-between-a-donkey-and-a-mule/
I walked along with a man, his mule and hismdog this spring on VDLP. They walk some 1000 km every year. In fact he normally walkes with two mules, but this year one of them refused to keep walking so he had the family come collect him and take him back home. This man also walked from his home in Southern Spain to Rome with his mule and got to meet the Pope because of it. He did say walking through Monaco with a mule was difficult as the mule didn't fit in very well with all the €€€. ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ummmm, those are donkeys.
Mules are about, or just the same, size as a horse.
You're righ. I realized that after I looked at my picture again. Not well versed in equine recognition. They were calling them mules, or at least that's what I thought they said. Something could have been lost in translation.

Ummmm, those are donkeys.
Mules are about, or just the same, size as a horse.
You're righ. I realized that after I looked at my picture again. Not well versed in equine recognition. They were calling them mules, or at least that's what I thought they said. Something could have been lost in translation.
Hey Frank. I ran into these guys along the way as well. Very interesting and I was happy to give a little to assist with the animals. I went back last Spring, after meeting you in the Fall, and completed the last 400
k's. Taking a friend back in October for a walk in an undetermined location of the Frances. It would be nice to meet up with you on the road again in the future ...Jim
Good to hear from you Jim. Not much time off this year. Trying to set myself up to retire next year. My Pilgrimage this year is of another sort. Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY! I'm gonna tent camp my way up the Appalacians in the late fall. I've always loved baseball; playing, coaching, watching, all of it. I'll get back to Spain next year, hopefully to meet more Pilgrims like yourself. Enjoy your walk this year. Keep rocking that kilt!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Crossed paths with this wonderfully bearded fellow, his lovely black poodle and his very patient and well behaved mule on a rainy day around Las Herrerías. It was sometime in early May this year. He was being interviewed and filmed at the time. Was happy to recognise him in the TV series about the camino that @JabbaPapa alerted us to in an earlier post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/new-spanish-tv-series-¡buen-camino.49547/. Sitting in a bar (as one does), I did read an article about him in a local newspaper. My Spanish is not reliable but I think he spends his life walking back and forth on the camino?
B4FC8A1A-C6FC-48BA-9840-35970DCFE478.JPG 7B6C0FF7-470E-4CA9-812A-356173173D5B.JPG

I carry my backpack for the simple reason that I never know when I am going to run out of puff and want to stop for the day. I love walking past a interesting looking albergue and thinking, that's my home for tonight! Plus having been caught out on the camino a couple of times in bad storms there is a certain security that comes from having sleeping bag, dry clothes and additional layers with me. Doubt I'll ever need them but they make me feel like I'm on the top of any situation whether that be true or not. :p:p:p:p

Crossed paths with this wonderfully bearded fellow, his lovely black poodle and his very patient and well behaved mule on a rainy day around Las Herrerías. It was sometime in early May this year. He was being interviewed and filmed at the time. Was happy to recognise him in the TV series about the camino that @JabbaPapa alerted us to in an earlier post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/new-spanish-tv-series-¡buen-camino.49547/. Sitting in a bar (as one does), I did read an article about him in a local newspaper. My Spanish is not reliable but I think he spends his life walking back and forth on the camino?
View attachment 35705 View attachment 35706
That's Narciso his Cao de agua called Linda and his mule, Chata. I had the pleasure of spending a few days with them on VDLP this spring. He's the one I mention is a post above who,has walked to Rome with two mules and walks VDLP year after year.

Linda is the most well behaved and loyal dog ever, and she rides on top of that mule as well as any circus dog. Narciso has 7 children who now run the family business so he can enjoy long walks along the Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's Narciso his Cao de agua called Linda and his mule, Chata. I had the pleasure of spending a few days with them on VDLP this spring. He's the one I mention is a post above who,has walked to Rome with two mules and walks VDLP year after year.

Linda is the most well behaved and loyal dog ever, and she rides on top of that mule as well as any circus dog. Narciso has 7 children who now run the family business so he can enjoy long walks along the Camino.
Ahh a cao de agua. She is a lovely dog and you can see how she rides on the back of the mule in that television series. I wish I'd had the chance to talk with that pilgrim. Thank you for telling me about them.

Ahh a cao de agua. She is a lovely dog and you can see how she rides on the back of the mule in that television series. I wish I'd had the chance to talk with that pilgrim. Thank you for telling me about them.
He and Linda are quite the pair. Narciso sets down a blanket by the albergue door and she spends the night there waiting for him. Unless the town is too loud and then she takes off to go spend the night with the mule in some field. Narciso leads an uncomplicated life, always looking at the good things in life. He knows the Caminos inside out, always recommends the more traditional albergues, and does enjoy his bottle of red wine at night.

I adore Mules. The hospitaleros in El Zaguan in Fuente de Cantos took me in the car to see their mules:

IMG_0771 copy.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back