• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

any gear after pics?

chewingfoil

Time of past OR future Camino
Thinking about it, after laughing at a friend to his face when he invited me along.
Hi, everyone! I've been researching the Camino for a couple of years and I've gone on/off/on/off etc with doing it...I'm considering it again this time, as I'm going through some career stuff (sigh)

The question is: does anyone ever take pictures of the stuff they FINISH with? There are hundreds of blogs where people meticulously lay out all the stuff they're packing. But has anyone done a before/after? I'm thinking a lot of the before pics seem to have a lot of stuff (more than I'd consider bringing) but I wonder what got left behind or discarded along the way. Anyone have any list or pics of the stuff they finished with? I've got a friend who does the Camino (I think about 8 times now) with scarcely more than a large fanny pack. I envy him.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I have at least two un-packinglists on my blog, link below. If you search the forum for un-packinglist you will find quite a few. For some that list will be shorter, for some longer...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
View attachment 25787 View attachment 25786

On the left, my boots after their first Camino. On the right, after some post-Camino TLC.
Buen Camino
I have been back and forth about bringing my Salomon trail runners, or my Keen mid high leather with Keen dry. The weather is supposed to be so rainy and the pictures are showing so much mud. Are you a believer in wearing the hiking booots?

I have been back and forth about bringing my Salomon trail runners, or my Keen mid high leather with Keen dry. The weather is supposed to be so rainy and the pictures are showing so much mud. Are you a believer in wearing the hiking booots?

All I can say Joodle is that they work for me. My walking practice is to wear liners and walking socks, take my boots and socks off every two hours or so, and let my feet have an airing for 10-15 mins.

You've probably seen some of the discussions about footwear on the forum. So many views and opinions huh?

To answer your question directly. Yes I personally am a believer in boots.

Buen Camino

Hi Joodle, I think this depends on your feet. I love my Keens for walking at home and they are amazingly waterproof. However, I have sweaty feet (there aren't many places where admit that so freely!) so they are a disaster for me in warmer weather. After bad blisters in 2013 & 2014, I now wear non-waterproof shoes rather than boots on the Camino. Yes, they get pretty wet at times, but they dry again so quickly. Others walk very happily in boots - so it's all about finding what works for you. I know this can be difficult when you're just starting out.

I suggest that you don't worry too much about the current weather reports. You will experience all types of weather during your Camino, so don't change your well-thought out plans because of the posts that you read here. My brother in law is on the Camino at the moment and he has been really lucky with the weather so far (he started from St. Jean last week). I didn't expect to hear that from him, but it reminded me that the weather in one Camino town isn't indicative of how it will be everywhere else.

Gear dilemmas are difficult, aren't they? Once you start walking, it all becomes so much less complicated. From reading your posts, it seems to me that you are totally ready for this. Good luck and Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks so much! Your info is quite helpful in selecting what I really might need, versus what I think I will need :)

Hi, I have at least two un-packinglists on my blog, link below. If you search the forum for un-packinglist you will find quite a few. For some that list will be shorter, for some longer...
No link below- would like to look at your blog. Please do share.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The link below will take you to my packing list. It is largely what I took with me with a few exceptions:
* Sleeping bag: I took a summer weight sleeping bag with me. Heavier than a silk liner but it packed pretty small. I experienced some bed bug issues and so sacrificed the bag at the end of the trip. I would use a silk liner next time.
* I took all of the clothes pictured (or mentioned) BUT some of them were pretty ripe by the end. So some of my underwear, socks and a shirt were ditched. As I would be traveling on after my Camino, I restocked a few things at a clothing store
* One of my learnings was to find the right mix of food/snacks to take. Some people were carrying around pretty heavy food supplies (like pasta). I tried it but found it to be too heavy. So instead I carried: nuts, dried fruit, crackers, a hunk of cheese, sliced chorizo, maybe a yogurt, candy. I participated in group meals or otherwise ate out.
Packing list: http://wayfaringviews.com/camino-de-santiago-packing-list-women

Just DO it. Don't worry so much about what to take.
Buen Camino

Thanks, Wandershot, that's great info! I'm a practical sort, lived in Italy for 1.5 years during uni, and traveled quite a lot before and since, so I'm very bare bones when it comes to packing, but I've never undertaken anything like this. I should mention that I have MS so fatigue and weakness are a big concern for me. I figure what people ditched was the superfluous and I wouldn't even bother packing those things. To complicate matters, I now keep to a paleo diet since discovering I have gluten issues. So mostly, I will have to carry food weight, nuts, fruit, cheese, etc. Your info is helpful, thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Awesome, good to know. (I was going to say it "takes a load off") :D

Most read last week in this forum

The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...
Having had two sets of poles taken from me at the airport on my return flight (traveling cabin luggage only) I want to buy poles cheaply on arrival before O begin my Camino..either in Santiago or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.