• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Gear

Time of past OR future Camino
12/23
I’ll be hiking the France’ and VdlP beginning 12/5. Here’s a list and pic of my gear. I’m not sure why the images haven’t downloaded?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,585
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 107
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Seems like a lot of shirts? I count 6 plus a pullover? Maybe cut back to 3? Are you planning on camping a lot? Can you get by with just one sleeping bag and one sleeping mat instead of an inflatable mattress, a mat, a sleep sheet, and 2 sleeping bags. On the CF you should find ample lodging even in winter. I think even on the VDLP you will have a place to sleep indoors most nights. I would think the occasional night out might be possible, but you can't just camp outside legally everywhere in Spain.

On the CF you should find ample lodging even in winter. I think even on the VDLP you will have a place to sleep indoors most nights.
I walked the CF from SJPDP in January this year and found a bed every night. The Aprinca website was very useful. The previous year I walked the VdlP in January and slept outdoors several nights with just a down sleeping bag, breathable bivvy bag and mat. The list feels like overkill for a Camino Frances walk unless @TiedyeAT is making a very deliberate point of camping rather than using albergues despite the questionable legality. It is not a wilderness trail.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the CF from SJPDP in January this year and found a bed every night. The Aprinca website was very useful. The previous year I walked the VdlP in January and slept outdoors several nights with just a down sleeping bag, breathable bivvy bag and mat. The list feels like overkill for a Camino Frances walk unless @TiedyeAT is making a very deliberate point of camping rather than using albergues despite the questionable legality. It is not a wilderness trail.
Although I enjoy meeting travelers in hostels and albergues, I’m hoping to camp as much as possible. I really like sleeping outside! Hopefully, I’ll get several opportunities within the legal perameters .
As for the shirts, I sweat enough to be in Guinness Book of Records! I usually cover about 40k+ a day and it’s not out of the question I may go through 3-4 shirts a day.
The double pads and double sleeping bag give my 66 year old bones a fair bit of cushion and much needed warmth.
Bom Camino

Although I enjoy meeting travelers in hostels and albergues, I’m hoping to camp as much as possible. I really like sleeping outside! Hopefully, I’ll get several opportunities within the legal perameters .
As for the shirts, I sweat enough to be in Guinness Book of Records! I usually cover about 40k+ a day and it’s not out of the question I may go through 3-4 shirts a day.
The double pads and double sleeping bag give my 66 year old bones a fair bit of cushion and much needed warmth.
Bom Camino

List looks fine to me, for winter camping.

I'd also say bring less shirts, pullovers, gloves... unlike on a wilderness hike, there's lots of opportunity to wash/dry clothes.

When you camp in albergue gardens, or stay in an albergue from time to time, you can wash and dry there. But then again, you've apparently walked long distances with that setup and it works. So why not.

Inflatable+foam mat is wise in winter.

With regards to camping on the Camino, you probably won't get many encouraging replies, because most of the forum members do not camp and do not want to camp. It's rare for pilgrims to sleep in tents, but some do.

I've camped along the Francés because I love sleeping outdoors, and would bring a tent again. That was in summer, though, when campsites were open. I do not wild camp, and therefore didn't camp every night (I love the albergues, too, and there wasn't a legal campsite every night).

There were a few albergues that allowed tents in their garden (for a fee, of course!) and there are also some official campsites, but those are most likely closed in the winter.

When you get the opportunity to camp in an albergue garden, that's nice because you can take a shower, wash clothes, use the kitchen ect., meet pilgrims, but you still have your tent as your own little home. Sadly most albergues do not allow camping even if you offer the same fee as for a bed, but it is worth a try.

Roncesvalles for example allowed me to camp, and the albergue Padres Reparadores in Puente la Reina.

Wild camping is not legal in many parts of Spain and usually not tolerated by locals either. It is probably still possible if you're good at stealth camping, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Heard many stories from people who were woken up at night by police and had to take down their tent. Sleeping outdoors without a tent seems to be tolerated better, as long as there's no fire or littering involved (which for a respectful tent camping hiker should be normal, anyway). As a guest in the country I wouldn't want to break rules or annoy the locals.

So, camping along the Camino is possible, but complicated. You might end up in the albergues more often than you can imagine now!

Buen camping Camino, from a fellow tent pilgrim!

(picture in front of the albergue in Roncesvalles)

7uvcy26gcjveu.jpg

List looks fine to me, for winter camping.

I'd also say bring less shirts, pullovers, gloves... unlike on a wilderness hike, there's lots of opportunity to wash/dry clothes.

When you camp in albergue gardens, or stay in an albergue from time to time, you can wash and dry there. But then again, you've apparently walked long distances with that setup and it works. So why not.

Inflatable+foam mat is wise in winter.

With regards to camping on the Camino, you probably won't get many encouraging replies, because most of the forum members do not camp and do not want to camp. It's rare for pilgrims to sleep in tents, but some do.

I've camped along the Francés because I love sleeping outdoors, and would bring a tent again. That was in summer, though, when campsites were open. I do not wild camp, and therefore didn't camp every night (I love the albergues, too, and there wasn't a legal campsite every night).

There were a few albergues that allowed tents in their garden (for a fee, of course!) and there are also some official campsites, but those are most likely closed in the winter.

When you get the opportunity to camp in an albergue garden, that's nice because you can take a shower, wash clothes, use the kitchen ect., meet pilgrims, but you still have your tent as your own little home. Sadly most albergues do not allow camping even if you offer the same fee as for a bed, but it is worth a try.

Roncesvalles for example allowed me to camp, and the albergue Padres Reparadores in Puente la Reina.

Wild camping is not legal in many parts of Spain and usually not tolerated by locals either. It is probably still possible if you're good at stealth camping, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Heard many stories from people who were woken up at night by police and had to take down their tent. Sleeping outdoors without a tent seems to be tolerated better, as long as there's no fire or littering involved (which for a respectful tent camping hiker should be normal, anyway). As a guest in the country I wouldn't want to break rules or annoy the locals.

So, camping along the Camino is possible, but complicated. You might end up in the albergues more often than you can imagine now!

Buen camping Camino, from a fellow tent pilgrim!

(picture in front of the albergue in Roncesvalles)

View attachment 160674
Thanks GOS! Great input from a fellow tenter… I’m rethinking the whole camping experience. It’s certainly a departure from the AT, CDT and PCT? Well, when in Rome! I wasn’t expecting there to be many opportunities to stay indoors, especially on the VdlP, without having to stay in hotels or B&B’s.
I’m departing tomorrow, so I have to be decisive! Against n, thank you for the constructive feedback!
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks GOS! Great input from a fellow tenter… I’m rethinking the whole camping experience. It’s certainly a departure from the AT, CDT and PCT? Well, when in Rome! I wasn’t expecting there to be many opportunities to stay indoors, especially on the VdlP, without having to stay in hotels or B&B’s.
I’m departing tomorrow, so I have to be decisive! Against n, thank you for the constructive feedback!
Buen Camino
Don't think of the Camino in terms of the AT, CDT and PCT. It's a walk from village to village, not a wilderness hike at all. The only commonalities are using your feet for transportation and carrying a backpack.

You can check Gronze to see which albergues are open in this season.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.