• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any good training schedules?

BrienC

Author of Camino Child
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Francés, VDLP, Norte
2022: Portuguese
Does anyone know of a good Camino training plan on this forum? I mean physical training. Not finding anything.
Thanks in advance, BrienC

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Brien, the truth is many people train while ON the Camino (myself included)
I usually go 2 weeks before hand and take it slow and easy, gradually increasing time and distance.
If you have a desire to "train" then I'd just suggest you start walking, and as C clearly says, work up to 2 hours or more.
The Camino is not a mountain hike, it is a 'trek" and as long as you take the first 3-4 days easy, you should be ok.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There was also a very good training schedule posted by Dougfitz a while ago, for people training for a walking marathon....
Should come up on a 'search'.

The British Heart Foundation have some training schedules (Beginners', Intermediate and Advanced) on their website: https://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved...king-training-zone/walking-training-schedules

These are aimed at people doing the Hadrian's Wall Walk and similar endeavours, so they should work well enough for the Camino.
This is really more what I was expecting to find. I'm used to progressive marathon training schedules and the BHF schedules fit right in there.

Cheers, BrienC

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No need to be too scientific about it
I have an out-and-back flat walk of 17 miles along the river - more useful in picking up problems with kit, shoes and raingear - as you get fitter, you'll get a little quicker
It's a good discipline knowing that you have to complete the walk there and back with few intermediate public transport opportunities

Prior to going I walk each day, and when I start I take it easy and look after your feet ie. stop every two hours off with shoes and socks rest check tootsies and use a non friction cream or vasaline. Buen Camino.

Start walking at least a few times a week - and don't ever stop!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would walk at least three times a week, at least two hours each, with a 20 lb pack load. Once a week, an all-day hike that includes either hills or several hours climbing stadium bleachers at a local school. On the intervening days, core-strengthening exercises. You will be paying special attention to the essential items of kit: footwear, foot prep/sock system, raingear fitting. It is important to prepare aging joints and feet for the strains of the Camino experience (I don't care how old you are, you're not a spring chicken).

Many will argue that no preparation is necessary. But believe me, preparation makes all the difference between a suffering pilgrimage and an enjoyable walk.

These remarks are based on my personal experience east of SJPP over several years. This region has many fewer walkers, and much less infrastructure, so you are constrained in your choice of stopping places and may have no choice but long days ("long" being a personally-defined variable). I understand that the Camino Frances is Spain has many choices in where to stop, so you can truncate your day whenever you wish. But wouldn't you rather travel without pain and exhaustion?

So, I did the same as @BrienC and researched training recommendations. Set out a schedule for myself and proudly set out January 4 on my first walk (I leave here April 11). Took the dogs for company, when one of them suddenly crossed in front of me to chase a dog. Fell hard on both knees and hands on asphalt. I was still a mile from home, including a very steep hill to go up. I could barely walk. But as I hobbled, I just kept saying to myself: "The Camino is about overcoming adversity and testing your limits. I can do this. I can do this." And I did. It was my first Camino test, and I passed.

Knees are still swollen, still not walking comfortably, can't do steps yet, but I'll get there. So, I guess the best training program is the one you can actually complete......

Good luck and Ultreya!

So, I did the same as @BrienC and researched training recommendations. Set out a schedule for myself and proudly set out January 4 on my first walk (I leave here April 11). Took the dogs for company, when one of them suddenly crossed in front of me to chase a dog. Fell hard on both knees and hands on asphalt. I was still a mile from home, including a very steep hill to go up. I could barely walk. But as I hobbled, I just kept saying to myself: "The Camino is about overcoming adversity and testing your limits. I can do this. I can do this." And I did. It was my first Camino test, and I passed.

Knees are still swollen, still not walking comfortably, can't do steps yet, but I'll get there. So, I guess the best training program is the one you can actually complete......

Good luck and Ultreya!

I hope you heal and recover very soon!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Good luck and Ultreya!
I fell exactly the same way in November. I also continued walking, thinking I could walk it off. After a week, I got an x-ray and it turns out I broke my kneecap. After five weeks of immobilization, doc said I could remove the leg brace and begin rehab. Walked my first 7.5 km today! If I were you, I'd get an x-ray...

I fell exactly the same way in November. I also continued walking, thinking I could walk it off. After a week, I got an x-ray and it turns out I broke my kneecap. After five weeks of immobilization, doc said I could remove the leg brace and begin rehab. Walked my first 7.5 km today! If I were you, I'd get an x-ray...
All best wishes on your Healing Camino from one also on this variation of the path :)

We should start our own support group/topic! :cool:

The Aussiewalk training programmes for the annual two day walk can be found here. You should be able to find similar programmes from other multi-day walk sites like the Nijmegen four day walk, etc. If you have a good level of underlying fitness, you might not need much preparation, but for most of us, doing some preparation is important.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is really more what I was expecting to find. I'm used to progressive marathon training schedules and the BHF schedules fit right in there.

Cheers, BrienC
Hi Brien. Don't sweat it (pun intended). As others have advised, take the first couple of days slowly. I smile when I see similar posts; I did my first Camino (Frances) this past Sept/Oct, in time to reach Santiago for my 80th birthday Nov 2. Take heart.I wish you heartfelt Buen Camino.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely consider that.

Does anyone know of a good Camino training plan on this forum? I mean physical training. Not finding anything.
Thanks in advance, BrienC
Hi Brien, what I omitted in my last post, was that I did walk our beautiful trails here on Vancouver Island for approx 3 months before I left for Spain, just to get used to 22 km avg walk, but not every day; about 3X a week. I do believe it helped, but I did take advice from others and went slowly the first two days. I know that helped. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Many will argue that no preparation is necessary. But believe me, preparation makes all the difference between a suffering pilgrimage and an enjoyable walk.
Kitsambler really nails the way I see preparation. Today I could suffer through a marathon in about five hours. 10 weeks from now (not that I'm going to), I could run a 3:45 marathon and maybe enjoy it a bit. Condition, condition, condition. Far less blisters, too.

Thanks everyone.

I also believe that preparation is very valuable. However, it doesn't need to be complicated. It might be better to integrate the "training" into your daily life without needing a spreadsheet. That way, the Camino can provide longterm benefit to your health rather than being viewed as a one-time athletic endeavour. I mark my daily distances (approximate) on my calendar and try to walk 40-50 km/week all year (that's an hour to hour-and-a-half per day). That is inarguably good for my health. As a retired person, I can do this. Working people may have less time, but walking as a life style is something to be encouraged! As my camino approaches, I'll try to increase to 70 km/week and test my loaded backpack and camino clothes with a 20-km walk or two.

Having said all this idealistic stuff, I do admit that sometimes a spreadsheet is a good way to organize and motivate you. A few years back, I used a phone app to count calories and exercise time for several months, and it worked like a charm for me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Hello, I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.