• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any last tips?

goldenguy422

Hello everybody,
I'm heading out to begin the Frances this Friday (Feb 18th). I'm flying into Bilbao and heading to Pamplona (by bus) to officially start my journey. I have been training for a few weeks now, am mentally prepared, and have myself a good pack, boots, socks, hat, sleeping bag, map, and sets of clothes. Are there any tips I would benefit from before I head out? I have read through the posts here, but everything may not have sunk in. Any bits of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Be present every minute. Your camino will be a lasting memory.

Go well.

lynne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Be open to whatever the experience is and remember: the Camino provides!

Buen Camino!

Dont regret one thing on this journey, just let yourself take in what needs to be taken in.

Hi Mike
You will be blessed by many you meet, and you too will be a blessing to many others.
If you can manage it, stay overnight in Granon and Tosantos.
May the road rise before you, may the warm sun shine on your face, may the wind be always at your back and may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.
I'll be eleven weeks behind you and am already getting excited

Buen Camino
Lydia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just remember to breathe in and then breathe out ....... Slowly, and continue to do so

(seems simple enough but I forgot at times Laugh)

But seriously as others have said, take your time and try to enjoy every single moment because later you will have huge memory gaps of certain bits.

The second time I walked the Frances I passed places that I could have sworn I had never been before, and other places where I knew exactly where I could get a cold drink or coffee from a few kilometers away.

Take care and enjoy,

I'll be starting another attempt on the 21st of April from Pau

Pablo

Welcome to our Club - plenty of deep advice here - and good for that matter so I will give you a little of practical advice.
Cycling shorts to prevent chaffing.
Put all gear into waterproof bags inside your Pack - sweat can soak all your food and clothes.
Then , you may think of getting a bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles which starts you off in the scenic foothills of the Pyrennes - the Bus is cheap and runs from the same Terminus where you arrive at. :)

Just listen to your body & don't push it more than it wants to be pushed! Be open to all experiences but remember it is YOUR Camino do it as YOU want. Look after your feet & keep your socks dry.
Give Santiago a hug from me when you get there. It seems a long time since Shrove Tuesday 2010 when we last arrived - just in time for the Carnival! We will be back on some part of "the way" at the end of March - the call is too strong!
Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1) The bed closest to the bathroom is the noisiest!
2) If you have, or ever have had allergies, take an antihistamine with you. Different grasses, pollens, dust mites could set you off, so better be safe than sorry.
3) A little spiral immersion heater and a camping cup are most useful for making your own tea/coffee, cup-of-soup etc.
4) 112 is the Europe-wide emergency number. It works even if you have no money in a pre-paid mobile phone or even if your supplier has no network. It works 24/7 365 days - and the operators speak many languages. The number for the Guardia Civil in Spain is 062.

Buen Camino!

sillydoll said:
1) The bed closest to the bathroom is the noisiest!
2) If you have, or ever have had allergies, take an antihistamine with you. Different grasses, pollens, dust mites could set you off, so better be safe than sorry.
3) A little spiral immersion heater and a camping cup are most useful for making your own tea/coffee, cup-of-soup etc.
4) 112 is the Europe-wide emergency number. It works even if you have no money in a pre-paid mobile phone or even if your supplier has no network. It works 24/7 365 days - and the operators speak many languages. The number for the Guardia Civil in Spain is 062.

Buen Camino!

I will be going for my 3rd Camino coming April, but this tip 1 is brilliant, I would not have thought of that ;-). And I hope not to need it, but the nuber of the police is always useful to know.

And here is my 50cents worth of advice :mrgreen: :
Travel light (preferably max 10% of your bodyweight), stop once in a while to look behind you, and remember that you might not get what you want, but you will get what you need (the Camino will decide that for you)...And last but not least... Have fun!

Have fun and engage with your fellow pilgrims but, no matter how well you get on with the new friends you 'll make, try not to get too caught up in others programmes/schedules etc it's your journey-walk to your own drum.
Be a little 'permissive' with yourself, give yourself some treats and, if your time allows a day off ( & sometimes even the thought of it is just as good as an actual rest day) then go for it.
If at some point you feel tired and cross don't feel guilty - know you're not alone there will be at least one other grumpy pilgrim within a bunk or two/km or two of you at all times :lol:
The 'toughest climb' of all is the one you make in your head and, having committed and (practically)set off, you're already more than halfway up that particular summit.
Above all savour every minute-I found I had some of the most fun, laughed more and formed many of my most enduring Camino memories on those more 'challenging days :wink: .

Nell

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hobbes said:
Drink Cola Coa when you're cold or tired
Yes, that is the 'quick fix'.
Alternatively have a large, or breakfast size, café con leche with plenty of sugar. The Spanish are generous with their sugar sachets.
This has the added advantage of warming your hands while you drink it, costs about the same and the effect lasts longer. :D

Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Or, if you are not a coffee addict, try the Cola Cao (hot chocolate) or Churros con Chocolate - ymmmy!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
please, don't forget to give a thought to all those who would like to be on the camino like you, but cannot realize their dream for whatever reasons.
we are the happy ones, those who can travel!
have a great experience!

sillydoll said:
Or, if you are not a coffee addict, try the Cola Cao (hot chocolate) or Churros con Chocolate - ymmmy!!!

Ah Cola Cao! The best thing about bars in Spain!!!!

My tip: Take everything out of your backpack just before you leave and get rid of about 10-20% of it! All the little things you were taking 'just in case' you won't need, and if you do you'll find them in Spain anyway. Best to pack too little than carry too much when you're just starting.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Post when you can!! Wishing you all the very very best!! And wishing you good weather and when that fails...good humor!
Buen Camino, Karin

What a great thread, what kind and supportive (and longing) comments!.

An old saying before going is to lay out everything on your bed, then take half of the items and twice of the money! :?

You can almost feel the longing in all the replies to your thread ... what a wonderful time you shall have, and it is guaranteed that it will be almost nothing like either your plans or your expectations.

Remember to be kind but to be you. You will meet unexpected kindnesses along the way, so far past 'average' that you may wonder what is going on. In your turn, be Kind, but remember to be you.

Oh, and as mentioned above, look back! You may become focussed on where you are going and may start to calculate how far versus discomfort or pain. If you regularly stop for a break, water and a snack and so on, and at that point look back you will be amazed at how far you have come - and this will energize you in a way that you cannot believe until you do it .. so..

look back - be kind.

Ultreiya!!!!!

goldenguy422 said:
Hello everybody,
I'm heading out to begin the Frances this Friday (Feb 18th). I'm flying into Bilbao and heading to Pamplona (by bus) to officially start my journey. I have been training for a few weeks now, am mentally prepared, and have myself a good pack, boots, socks, hat, sleeping bag, map, and sets of clothes. Are there any tips I would benefit from before I head out? I have read through the posts here, but everything may not have sunk in. Any bits of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Remember that every step counts. There may be a time or two when you're not sure how much farther you can go, but it's surprising how far you can travel by keeping on putting one foot in front of the other. At the same time, it's not a race (unless you choose to make it so!) and you can stop when you need to, or want to. This is your Camino and you get to create it however you would like. Follow your instinct and your heart... all of the wisdom and guidance you need for this journey is already inside you. And, don't be afraid to ask for help! You will meet many helpful friends along the way (and sometimes they'll reach out to guide you before you realise you were headed for a problem!)

The "El Corte Ingles" department stores in Pamplona and Leon have wonderful, wonderful food shops on their lower level. Well worth checking out! (There is no food shop at the El Corte Ingles in Burgos.) Plan to stock up on food for Sundays when shops are usually closed (not always the case, but often in my experience). If you plan to use computers at albergues for internet access along the way, keep in mind that the incidental Euros spent here and there can add up quickly!

If you meet someone interesting who you think you might like to keep in touch with, get their contact information/e-mail address then! It's amazing how quickly you can lose track of people on the Camino. There were people I got separated from on my journey that I wish I now had contact information for. However, you may also be delightfully surprised at how the universe matches you up again with people you'd "lost" and didn't think you'd see again - sometimes days or even weeks later!

If you walk through Ponferrada, watch for the arrow across the bridge where you're supposed to go right! I got lost in Ponferrada for two hours (and met two other couples plus a single woman, who also got lost)... not my best day, though lots of life lessons learned!

Be open to the unexpected... even as prepared as you are, some surprises will pop up. They may be the most lovely gifts of your journey. As others have said, look behind you from time to time. Amazing what beautiful and delicious surprises can be there (glorious sunrises, for one).

Buen Camino!

Enjoy the Way -- your way.

Rachel

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Telluridewalker said:
Turn off your computer and don't look back.

The above comment is so perfect I didn't want to add to it except that falling asleep last night I was thinking that noone had said EARPLUGS! One of those essential things I am always forgetting and then running to the pharmacy to get after just one night listening to 20 people snoring.

Don't forget some EARPLUGS!!

That and enjoy it, take less stuff, and turn off your computer now etc.... :D

always carry toilet tissue with you :oops: never enter a toilet without some and always carry small change for vending machines it comes in handy when shops are shut and take a sense of humour :D good luck
Ian
oh I got confused the first time in pamplona and nearly got run over-so look both ways

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Take everything out of your pack and ask this question:

"Am I taking this because I NEED IT...or JUST IN CASE I need it!"

If the latter...it's likely extra weight.

Buen Camino

Arn

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
sillydoll said:

If you have or need an epi pen because you are allergic to bees or insect bits, please take it. I was on the beach in Finsterre with my friend when she was stung. And she left her epi pen at home. It was a very tense time as we wondered if she could make it to a doctor in time.

oh, and take less than what you think you need. :wink:

And if you are carrying an Epi Pen (like me) and you wish to take in in your hand luggage it is best to also have a note from your Doctor confirming you have it for medial purposes. I simply keep a copy of the prescription in my wallet.

take copies of all your NB docs
passport
VISA
Plane ticket
bank passwords etc
emergency contact list
medical prescriptions
medical aid details/ travel insurance
and email them to yourself
now you can relax - the loss of these docs is now merely a temporary inconvenience

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
tamtamplin said:
take copies of all your NB docs
passport
VISA
Plane ticket
bank passwords etc
emergency contact list
medical prescriptions
medical aid details/ travel insurance
and email them to yourself
now you can relax - the loss of these docs is now merely a temporary inconvenience

Nice one!!

Cut your toe nails a week before beginning and leave them alone while walking!

These are all such excellent tips I think we should pull them together just as we did for Albergue Etiquette.

Except for bank passwords. Otherwise that list was a very useful reminder. Bank passwords shouldn't be written down anywhere IMO.

A lot of these were great reminders for me as I get ready to leave. Thanks to all.

lynne

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The tip about copying and e-mailing documents to yourself is a great one. I did that and it was a relief to know I had that as back-up if necessary. However, there were several points along the way when, for example, I ended up at an albergue without internet access (no computers at all, or non-working computers)... or more to the point, when I was "out in the middle of nowhere" in a tiny village (or in between towns altogether, think Meseta) when I realised that having e-mail copies wouldn't help me at all, practically speaking, if I couldn't get to them when I needed to.

The same goes for instances of people who'd said I probably wouldn't need medicine or a first aid kit with me because I could easily buy supplies at a pharmacy if needed. Not so easy to do that on the road in between towns, or on a Sunday, or even during siesta time. That said, I managed just fine. During the first part of my walk when I didn't have a blister/foot care kit, for example, I was helped out by a few kind pilgrims. Later, I bought some supplies.

Two more things come to mind. One is that if, like me, you use homeopathic or herbal tinctures like you would typically obtain from a naturopathic doctor or buy at a health food store (in North America anyway), consider taking enough to last you the trip. The health food stores I found along the way were few and far between, and not everything I was looking for was available. There were a couple of things I ran out of and wished I'd brought more of to begin with, regardless of the extra weight it would have meant to carry.

The second thing is that before I left Canada I changed the six-digit PIN code for my ATM bank card so that it was a four-digit PIN code instead. It was a good thing I did! That was one of the best tips I read here on the forum (thanks!!) As it was, not every bank's ATM would work with my card (I had the best luck with Santander), but at least I wasn't locked out completely.

Some safety pins to use as pegs. If you are already at the airport you might get some in the pharmacy
Buen Camino
Lydia

@lynne
yes, even, and especially the bank passwords
just disguise them within a bogus phone number etc in a Word doc
....after 10 days walking in the sun, and your ATM is offering you one last chance before swallowing your card, youll be gratefull
imho
@Camino2010
the lack of internet services in the sticks is no big deal
youre only likely to need your passport /flight ticket when youre back in civilization at a bigger city or airport, where they will probably have decent internet connection

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@tamtamplin -

That's probably a good idea, but really just not necessary for me - we're only allowed 4 digits for our ATM access and so it's not difficult to remember. I understand that others have longer access numbers so could be a little more challenging to memorize.

lynne

lynnejohn said:
@tamtamplin -

That's probably a good idea, but really just not necessary for me - we're only allowed 4 digits for our ATM access and so it's not difficult to remember. I understand that others have longer access numbers so could be a little more challenging to memorize.

lynne

Be aware that the ATM's will only accept 4 digit codes....so if you have a longer access number be sure to change it to a 4 digit code before you leave.

Back to tips... :wink:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back