• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any pilgrims or future pilgrims in the far North of Sweden, Norway and Finland? ... Or even Scandinavia in General

Arctic_Alex

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
CPrim 2023
As I myself am living in Europe's least populated larger areas, the far North of Scandinavia, I wonder if there are any individuals or local groups dedicated to the topic? I know of one or two form members who happen to be on my geographical latitude. But are there any more?
I know spontaneous local meetups are more than unlikely, as we are probably few and travelling across the North takes days – but it would be interesting to know of like-minded (or not-so-like-minded) people up here who are either experienced or have some sort of interest in pilgrimage routes (for whatever motivation).
I myself are located in the Swedish municipality of Jokkmokk at the Arctic Circle.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I like to tell myself I have some affinity with you Arctic Circle dwellers, having driven - or rather been driven - up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik NWT and on the Mackenzie River ice highway almost to Tuktoyaktuk. Not much of an affinity, I admit, but I keep trying to convince myself … at least in winter. 🙃
IMG_1025.jpegIMG_1078.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I like to tell myself I have some affinity with you Arctic Circle dwellers, having driven - or rather been driven - up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik NWT and on the Mackenzie River ice highway almost to Tuktoyaktuk. Not much of an affinity, I admit, but I keep trying to convince myself … at least in winter. 🙃
We do have ice roads, but no large highways in the far North of Europe. Actually, we do not have proper large highways here at all 😆 .
Well, you can always follow your affinity and resettle. I was born and raised in central Europe, in Germany and only later decided to make the move North.😎

We do have ice roads, but no large highways in the far North of Europe. Actually, we do not have proper large highways here at all 😆 .
Well, you can always follow your affinity and resettle. I was born and raised in central Europe, in Germany and only later decided to make the move North.😎
Yes, I know there are ice highways/roads in Europe too; I checked that out before my friend and I went north ourselves. Actually, the impetus for our going north when we did (March 2017) was due to our understanding that that was the last winter the MacKenzie ice highway was going to be maintained, as a road was being constructed and was nearing completion.

As to the possibility of my resettling in the north, alas, as yet, my affinity doesn’t stretch so far. 🙃

My beloved wife and 2 other ladies made the long CF 2016.
I served them with a camping car and Airedale Terrier.
Later, 2019 I found mysef on the Napoleon Route.
We live in Rovaniemi, Arctic Circle. And we are not here alone.
BTW, a distance of 300 km here is much closer than in south!
Benny

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 17
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My beloved wife and 2 other ladies made the long CF 2016.
I served them with a camping car and Airedale Terrier.
Later, 2019 I found mysef on the Napoleon Route.
We live in Rovaniemi, Arctic Circle. And we are not here alone.
BTW, a distance of 300 km here is much closer than in south!
Benny
Ah, a neighbour in Finland :) I totally agree that distances up here feel much shorter. The nearest IKEA is in Haparanda, which is 2x250 km there and back again.

As I myself am living in Europe's least populated larger areas, the far North of Scandinavia, I wonder if there are any individuals or local groups dedicated to the topic? I know of one or two form members who happen to be on my geographical latitude. But are there any more?
I know spontaneous local meetups are more than unlikely, as we are probably few and travelling across the North takes days – but it would be interesting to know of like-minded (or not-so-like-minded) people up here who are either experienced or have some sort of interest in pilgrimage routes (for whatever motivation).
I myself are located in the Swedish municipality of Jokkmokk at the Arctic Circle.
I have read about a long hiking trail in Sweden called the Klunsledden. It heads south from the Artic circle and is remote and exposed

I have read about a long hiking trail in Sweden called the Klunsledden. It heads south from the Artic circle and is remote and exposed

You are talking about the Kungsleden, the King's Trail. Part of which is actually also pilgrimage route.
It is very beautiful and mostly far away from any road and electricity so in case of an emergency you need to be evacuated by helicopter. Last winter I did part of it by dogsled.

It heads North or South, depending which direction you chose and i extends far North of the Arctic Circle. About 100km of this trail run through my municipality. During several winters I have been helping transporting provisions and firewood to the remote cabins – but this before I lived here. In fact, the Kungsleden has been one of the reasons I left my city life in Germany and moved up North 😉

Click here for my old post on the pilgrimage part of the Kungsleden: Dag Hammarskjöldsleden / Kungsleden

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hej! You should have! Germany is so full of well marked, easy to follow "Jakobswegs". I used to live in Ulm and on one Saturday morning in crispy October weather I basically just opened the door and started walking towards Santiago. All the way to the Swiss boarder I did only weekend day trips using the RE-trains to get back and forth. It was fun, I'm glad I did it!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hej! You should have! Germany is so full of well marked, easy to follow "Jakobswegs". I used to live in Ulm and on one Saturday morning in crispy October weather I basically just opened the door and started walking towards Santiago. All the way to the Swiss boarder I did only weekend day trips using the RE-trains to get back and forth. It was fun, I'm glad I did it!
Sounds really fun :)
But now, from the far North of Sweden, that is a bit far away. Also to start a Camino from here would be a very big project ;-)

Also to start a Camino from here would be a very big project ;-)

You can start in Tallinn if you can get to Helsinki. Just turn right at Poland.

You can start in Tallinn if you can get to Helsinki. Just turn right at Poland.

For me, from here to Helsinki is roundabout 900-something k walking .. first walking east for a while, then turning right (south) towards Helsinki (which we call Helsingfors) ... certainly interesting but it will be hard to force enough time off ... 🙈

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.