• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any questions about Porto, ask here :)

beiramar

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Português, Camino del Norte, Fisterra,
Hey!
I life in Porto, right on the Caminho Português.
In my road there is the "igreja do Carvalhido" and my house has an arrow painted on the wall :wink:

I already did the Caminho Português (only two weeks ago) and I can understand that there might be special worries or concerns for whom doesn't start walking from a city he knows, but from a foreign country.

If you have any questions (busses, metro, flights, localizations, prices) - just ask me!

:arrow: Except about hotels/hostels in Porto. As I have never slept in a hotel here, I have no idea about which to recommend! All I can tell you is, that there is none I would warn you to go there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coastal route between Matosinhos and Vila do Conde. Photos taken this morning :mrgreen:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Beiramar...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2011 and, congrats on your recently completed Caminho.

I will be starting on the CP within several days following my arrival in Vilamoura on the 9th. I will be staying at a resort as I do additional research on the book I am writing. When I depart will depend on where I will begin my Caminho.

Right now, I am thinking I haven't sufficient time to start in Porto, unless I do the walk from the Cathedral then along the beach and, at some point, take a taxi or bus to Barcelos. From there walk on to SDC.

I would appreciate any information you can share.

Arn

Going on the beach here is a really pretty stretch. Plus you don't have to waste your energy walking in the sand, there are always wooden promenades alongside the dunes.

I would recommend NOT to start walking at the Cathedral, as is takes almost two hours from there until you're in Matosinhos and from there another hour til the beginning of the beach stretch to the north.
I always would take the metro line A (linha A) to "Matosinhos Mercado"- cross the brigde over the harbour and this way come to Leça
OR
Take bus line 507, which goes from the city center right to the starting point in Leça.
-> http://www.itinerarium.net/default.aspx?tab=3&ul=en-us
(on the right side, where you see "please choose", choose 507 and you can see the line)

There are several other busses to Matosinhos/Matosinhos Praia/Leça, you can take. No risk of getting lost, you will end up always close to the beach. :D

-------------------------------------------
You might want to walk up to Vila do Conde, about 20km. From there you might find a quick bus connection to Barcelos.
The main bus sevice in Portugal (http://www.rede-expressos.pt) at this moment doesn't seem to serve this city, but there are several others.

For instance:

"LINHARES & HERDEIROS, LDA"
Rua José Falcão, 198
Porto
Telef.: 22 200 04 27

PORTO - VIANA DO CASTELO

Porto (Hospital S.João) > Moreira (E.N 13, Guardeiras, Padrão de Moreira, Via Norte) > Vila do Conde > Póvoa do Varzim > Esposende > Barcelos > Viana do Castelo

But there really don't seem too be many connections... :?
If you prefer another city to Barcelos, just look at the website of rede-expressos.pt, or http://www.avic.pt/index.php?seccao=transportes (they go from Vila do Conde to Valença and various other cities).

I hope I could help you a bit, feel free to ask more if my information wasn't helpful for you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Beiramar and likewise - welcome!
I will be in Porto tomorrow afternoon and will need to buy a credencial at the Cathedral. Is it possible to buy one at any time or is there a specific time when the 'office' is open? Doyou know?
Thank you,
Sue

Great input Beiramar and food for further thought.

As I finalize over the next few days, I'm sure I'll have a few more questions.

With the help I've received from JW, Laurie, Portia and now you, I should be well on my Way.

Thanks very much...

Oh, Sue...don't slow down...I'm on my Way. Might just catch up.

Arn

@sulu:

I actually have no idea (sorry :| )
But usual opening times of the Cathedral are: 9:00-12:30/ 14:30-19:00 (in October)
But I cannot ensure you this is equal with the office opening times which I can't find anywhere...

If you find the church office closed there are still other places to get your credencial:
Centro de Estudos Jacobeus – Porto
Albergue de Peregrinos de S. Pedro de Rates
Albergue de Peregrinos de Ponte de Lima
Associação dos Amigos do Caminho de Santiago de Viana do Castelo
Albergue de Peregrinos de Valença

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Beiramar
I'll try the cathedral in the evening, othrwise try elsewhere.

Arn - you may well catch me up, if the weather stays hot I'll be crawling :(
Sue

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back