• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any reason to take a guide book?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Portugues 2019
Frances 2026, planned
Hi

I have last years edition of Brierley's guide book. So far this year I have yet to even open it. Most of my research has been on this forum, and the many other sites and Facebook pages. I've downloaded many of the Camino apps to my phone and tablet, so I'm wondering if I really need the book? From what I've been reading here and on other sites, it looks like I really don't need to cary maps. Plus I'll have google maps if I do get lost.

To save on weight I'm planning to leave the guide books at home. Will I regret it? Sometimes it is nice to have paper books and maps to mark up and read.

Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think it's very much a matter of individual preference. You could definitely manage without a guidebook on the Camino Frances, especially if you have Camino apps on your phone. Personally, I like the 'feel' of a guidebook and I enjoy flicking through it in the evenings. I used a kindle version on one of my walks and hated it (for no logical reason, as it had the same information as the written version)!

If you want a lighter guide than Brierley, the Michelin one weighs just over 3oz. It has 'proper' maps and very basic information about accommodation.

Hi

I have last years edition of Brierley's guide book. So far this year I have yet to even open it. Most of my research has been on this forum, and the many other sites and Facebook pages. I've downloaded many of the Camino apps to my phone and tablet, so I'm wondering if I really need the book? From what I've been reading here and on other sites, it looks like I really don't need to cary maps. Plus I'll have google maps if I do get lost.

To save on weight I'm planning to leave the guide books at home. Will I regret it? Sometimes it is nice to have paper books and maps to mark up and read.

Thanks
Hi,I alway's use a guide book . You can see where the alberques are and the distance between the villages and towns along the way.
The weight is extra , so be it.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It would be awesome to just walk and wing it... but I will probably cave in and get a guide from SJPP. Just for safety's sake.

I have always had a guidebook, but apps for my iPhone are making it unnecessary. For actually finding the path, the yellow arrows are more than enough.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I like to pack light, but still carry the Brierley book and use it constantly. It's something to read at night, its battery is always charged, doesn't break when I drop it, doesn't stop working when it gets wet, never crashes and I can still view it in bright sunshine with polarized sunglasses on. Fits right in my pants pocket so its not weight on my back (if you are wearing men's pants...).

The path itself is pretty well marked, but the town maps are very helpful (essential?) for finding albergues, sites, etc. Mentally, carrying the book is a stress reducer, since by carrying the book I can do without the smartphone in a pinch...

Since you already own it, you could always leave it at an albergue early on, if you aren't using it.

A guidebook does help. Not a necessity, but does help.
If you are concerned about weight, either get a map, or a maps only guide, or scan and print all the maps/stages in your guidebook and carry just that instead. That way it gets lighter everyday as you can throw away the sheet once you are finished with that portion of the Camino.

I have the "Pilgrimage Road" cultural history, and 2 other guidebooks on my phone, which I will probably look over in the evenings, but also decided to take the "Village to Village Guide" book. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984353348/?tag=casaivar02-20. I like its maps and elevations, as well as info on each day's food and lodging. It will be easier to refer to than my phone during the day. It is heavy though (about 10 oz.) so I cut out all intro pages and the covers, and will keep cutting pages as I'm walking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The key pages from Brierley are the summary pages with maps and distances - tear them out and bring them - you can add notes and times to them to jog your memory for future reference

I deconstructed a Brierley and had just the few pages I needed spiral bound. Even though I have all those electronic guides I still like to be able to scribble in the margins and occasionally see when that next little
fuente is coming up. Everything else I've emailed myself in a day by day narrative of where to where, mileage, things to see and do, restaurant and albergue recommendations, etc.

I liked it for keeping notes of specific spots I stopped at and things I saw + it gave me a nice breakdown of how the days are normally managed, but I met others who didn't have a guide.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks

I think you might.......

But of course you don't have to carry the paper book. I scanned mine and kept them on my phone. 2 different guides.
Though with the Brierley Guide I cut out the 'planning maps' from the inside cover and also carried those. I jotted down notes on them and found them useful each evening to plan my next stages.

The more detailed maps I had on my phone. These were invaluable to plan my day. How far to the next village, font etc. Therefore how much ate and food (if nay) to carry. Sights to look ou for along the way. Any hills of note to climb....

I suppose it comes down to how much you want to 'wing it' compared to a bit of planning to make life easier. You may end up carrying too much water, or not enough for example.

Last edited:
One thing that is a bargain for sure is that you can buy a 2015 Brierley guidebook along with a pilgrim's passport on here for under ten euros. That's a good deal. Believe me, a 2015 guidebook won't be much different than a 2016 guidebook.

You will most likely not need the guide to tell you where to turn right or left but I like understanding where I am, in terms of geography but especially culture and history. I also like anticipating hills, and motivate myself by seeing "how much left I have to go for the day". Also, I enjoy scribblimg notes to better remember things that have struck me, things I liked, etc. My first guide had legends, stories, etc. Loved it. For access to the info during the day I take picture of each page with my Iphone. It leaves in my pocket ready to take pictures.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No. But I take the Kindle version of "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago; the complete cultural handbook" by Gitlitz and Davidson.

I see I was not alone in this. I also had a Kindle guidebook (Kelly) and we carried the Brierly--but then my personality wants information, information, information. It's comforting. At least for me.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am not a phone person & I like books, so it was an easy choice for me but many that stay connected seemed to always be well informed. Yet the majority of them had a guide. Just remember to have some type of journal as your memories become priceless.
Have a wonderful time!
Buen Camino
Keith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A far better alternative to John Brierley's guide is his maps: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1844096831/?tag=casaivar-21

It is much lighter and has none of his spiritual musings (which I found to be a total waste of space). Sure, you don't get the lowdown on some ancient churches and historical personages but unless you are *really* into the whole history thing you will not miss it.

I like maps so I have an idea where I am in relation to the towns around me and the Camino as a whole. I do not think a guidebook in the sense of one giving you directions is necessary on the Camino Frances, though I may be worthwhile on some of the other routes, but something which gave me a historical perspective and told me what I was seeing I found useful.

A far better alternative to John Brierley's guide is his maps: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1844096831/?tag=casaivar-21

It is much lighter and has none of his spiritual musings (which I found to be a total waste of space). Sure, you don't get the lowdown on some ancient churches and historical personages but unless you are *really* into the whole history thing you will not miss it.

Sounds worth getting. Is it much lighter? Doesn't say how many pages on Amazon.

And I presume they are the same maps as in the Guide? No additional details or anything?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sounds worth getting. Is it much lighter? Doesn't say how many pages on Amazon.

And I presume they are the same maps as in the Guide? No additional details or anything?
I like the idea of just maps also... I hope they sell these at SJPP, my flight is 2 sleeps away.... woooooop woooop :D

I carried the maps guide by John Brierley and had scanned the full guide into my phone. It liked having the paper guide with me for circling the towns I stopped in, what albergues I stayed at, and how much I paid. The map guide has the maps and the albergue names, phone numbers and number of beds. My guide from 2015 was 117 gm. It was 112 pages. With the guide you know where the majority of people are stopping for the night so you can decide whether to join them or avoid them.

It is very hard to get 'lost' with the heavy way-markings on the Camino Frances. I just use the albegue/stage handout from SJPdP and the Red Albergue brochure. Both have distances which is the only information I need for route-finding. That said, Brierley has great write ups on all the miscellaneous cultural, religious, and archaeology spots along the way. As well as little physical and spiritual 'elevator speeches' that can make a fun mental topic for the stage.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sometimes there are different route options, so it's nice to have a map to see the difference between the routes and be able to make an informed decision.

Also, as so many pilgrims use the Brierley guide and follow his 'stages', you can try to avoid overcrowding or the 'race for a bed' by staying in towns that are NOT his day's destination. You'll only know what towns these are by having his maps.....

Hi

Thanks

I bought Brierley's guide book then photographed each page with my small digital camera. These were the first images on a new disc. Using the telephoto I could zoom in and read details. Each day I would erase the route so I didn't have to sort through pages to find the next day.
It is important that we buy books as they sponsor hardworking authors......... Ultreya............ Willy/Utah/USA

Yes, please, @williamlittig is right, please buy these books even if you scan them or photograph the, as to not carry the weight. Those putting them together, doing all the research for us deserve to get paid for their work. Please respect copyrights.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I arrived in Astorga a few weeks ago after walking from Seville, I had planned to stop in Astorga but changed my mind. I had no notes or anything with me , the hospitaliro recommend this book. It is really chap at about 6 euro and light. It gives a map for each and an elevation map outlining basic services, also list Alberues. see the 2 photos20160402_150011 (600x800).jpg 20160402_150102 (600x800).jpg

Hi

Thanks

My first camino all I had was my credential and an A4 size piece of paper showing the main etapes that was issued with it.

As for maps - the only time we got "lost" was walking through that big housing development that was being built leaving Logrono (2001) - we suddenly realised there were no muddy footprints in front of us.

I suppose you could take the Codex Calixtinus (I can let you have a pdf version if you can't find it on line) but how much nicer to discover the camino through your own eyes, ears and senses?

Plus there will always be another pilgrim around with a book - you can always break the ice by asking what lies ahead!

I always read ahead the night before, not so much to find my way during the day. It just organized my head I think and allowed some comfort.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I arrived in Astorga a few weeks ago after walking from Seville, I had planned to stop in Astorga but changed my mind. I had no notes or anything with me , the hospitaliro recommend this book. It is really chap at about 6 euro and light. It gives a map for each and an elevation map outlining basic services, also list Alberues. see the 2 photosView attachment 24930 View attachment 24931
This looks awesome. I hope to find one in SJPP. (I arrive later today, teehee)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi

Thanks
I walked last fall. I didn't take a book. I didn't want to feel pressured to walk a certain distance. There were enough people around that if I wanted information, it was available. The downside is that I think I missed some historical landmarks. Upside, I had no preconceived expectations and had a ball.

It is up to you. Buen Camino

I loved my guidebook because it helped me know where I was and what was around me. If you take a paper guidebook, consider not tearing out pages. It comes in handy to remember later where you have been and the experiences you had. There is a lot of history along the route that you want to be somewhat aware of. I wish I had read through my guidebook more for that.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back