• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone Any Experience with Pacer Poles?

Frank66

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
Hi Gang,
I think I've finally made up my mind in the great 'poles or no poles' debate. I'm now considering taking poles and wondered if anyone had any experience with Pacer Poles ? Any experiences, good or bad, please share.
Also, I'm thinking of buying a totebag for my backpack/poles so that I can check it as hold luggage - I was already planning on checking my backpack.
Any input (apart from putting everything in a box and burying the box somewhere near destination airport!) :eek:) gratefully recieved.
110 days to go!!!

'There's a terror in knowing what the world is about'' David Bowie RIP x:(

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ah, Pacerpoles - love them and will be taking mine on the Ingles this April. I see you live in the UK, so my best tip is to order them, go for lots of walks with them to get used to the way they work (you get literature and all the help you need from the lovely Heather). Pacerpoles come with marvellous customer service and an unbeatable returns policy - try them for four weeks and if you're not pleased, you can return them. I loved the handles straight away but took a while and a few miles before I really got used to the Pacerpole technique - they bring added walking power and the benefit of improved posture that you don't get from most 'normal' skipole type ones. Buy and try - I seriously doubt you'll regret it. And you have time to try them for a good while before you go. Good luck and buen camino!

Actually if you do a search of this forum (top right corner) you will come across a multitude of threads covering pacer poles. Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Actually if you do a search of this forum (top right corner) you will come across a multitude of threads covering pacer poles. Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I love my trekking poles. I don't know why anyone would hike without them. Mine have saved me from falling I don't know how many times. They take weight off your knees, especially when going down hills, and also force you to use your arms, making hiking more of a full-body exercise.

I should add the caveat that I live in New England and the trails I hike on are usually very rocky and uneven--more so than anything I'm likely to encounter on the Camino, from what I've heard. When I'm walking on smoother surfaces, I generally don't use poles. I'm definitely taking them on the Camino, though.

Also, one much overlooked advantage of using poles is that they prevent your hands/lower arms from swelling too much. If your arms just hang down beside your body without doing much they can swell due to gravity. Poles put the arm muscles to work and can prevent that. Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Gang,
I think I've finally made up my mind in the great 'poles or no poles' debate. I'm now considering taking poles and wondered if anyone had any experience with Pacer Poles ? Any experiences, good or bad, please share.
Also, I'm thinking of buying a totebag for my backpack/poles so that I can check it as hold luggage - I was already planning on checking my backpack.
Any input (apart from putting everything in a box and burying the box somewhere near destination airport!) :eek:) gratefully recieved.
110 days to go!!!
'There's a terror in knowing what the world is about'' David Bowie RIP x:(

Careful, those are not poles, they are part of a cult! Do the search and you'll find some people are rather fond of them.

I was never very keen on poles - until I discovered Pacerpoles. I'm a fully paid up member of that cult now. I can't imagine walking without them, either when hillwalking at home or when on the Camino.

Depending on the size of your backpack, the poles may fit in when you dismantle them (mine usually do). So you might not need to put everything in a tote.

Three of us used the pacer poles on our Camino last fall. Without a doubt we all agree they are marvelous and the design makes them easy to use. We definitely avoided some falls. My friend has continued to walk with her's at home.
As far as transport, I would suggest getting the IKEA bag (zippered storage bag for a cart.) This was recommended by someone on the forum and was truly genius. We transported our backpack and poles in the bag on the airlines and used it the entire camino to protect our bags from potential bed bugs. It is cheap ($2.99 US) and very light.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I made the switch to pacer poles some years ago, I love them, it has a little of a learning curve but no big deal, you can go to pacer poles web site and look at some videos.

Zzotte

We used pacerpoles at all our caminos for stability during ascending and descending steep hills, to keep evil dogs away from us and to dry our cloths in albergues .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I used Pacerpoles on the Camino Frances last year, every step of the way - I don't think I'd have made it without them. I haven't used other types of poles so can't really compare, but I found them very helpful if used correctly - that's the key as with anything, so it's essential to watch the videos and read the material they send you (all very helpful). Sure they're not cheap, but there is no additional delivery cost, even for sending to me on the other side of the world, which I found a big plus. And as I saw them as a key piece of equipment which would be well-used and potentially prevent injury and make the walking easier, I thought the cost was pretty reasonable. And now having used them, I think they are worth all that and much more. They are comfortable to hold and very sturdy (I have the alloy version) - good thing, as there were times when I was really leaning on them by the end of the day (which is not correct use but necessary at the time!) I walked with my mother who also had Pacerpoles - she didn't find hers so useful on training walks and almost didn't take them on Camino. After the first day of walking she was glad she did, and she also used them every step thereafter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I now own Pacer Poles and can see how they work differently than those with a regular angle as they push you forward. This being said, I am unable to use them properly, according to the technique, because to do so I would have to walk twice as fast. The push I get from the poles makes my arms anf legs no longer work in sync. They would be great for a cardio excercise for me, just not for hundreds of km. So unfortunately for me I use them in the same gashion I use regular poles, but at a much higher price. My suggestion would be to try before purchase. Living across the pond paying shipping costs back amd forth makes returning them less attractive. Hope this helps. BTW, I a, 5'4" and have a short stride. Have beentold I walk like a geisha.

My name is Maggie and I'm a pacer poler.
My name is Maggie and I'm a one-poler. When my poles 'walked away' on the CF, a very kind hospitalero gave me one that had been left. I immediately realized I liked it so much more. I never really liked using two. Mostly I walked with no poles, but the one pole definitely helped me safely down the steeper declines.

With Pacer Poles, you definitely want both. I could never have done even the few weeks I did without them, and my companions, who were younger and fitter, were very jealous of my poles compared to their regular ones. It takes some commitment to learn to use the Pacer Poles properly, but once you get it, they're amazing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
With Pacer Poles, you definitely want both. I could never have done even the few weeks I did without them, and my companions, who were younger and fitter, were very jealous of my poles compared to their regular ones. It takes some commitment to learn to use the Pacer Poles properly, but once you get it, they're amazing.
I should add, my forum photo was taken pre Camino Frances.

I now own Pacer Poles and can see how they work differently than those with a regular angle as they push you forward. This being said, I am unable to use them properly, according to the technique, because to do so I would have to walk twice as fast. The push I get from the poles makes my arms anf legs no longer work in sync. They would be great for a cardio excercise for me, just not for hundreds of km. So unfortunately for me I use them in the same gashion I use regular poles, but at a much higher price. My suggestion would be to try before purchase. Living across the pond paying shipping costs back amd forth makes returning them less attractive. Hope this helps. BTW, I a, 5'4" and have a short stride. Have beentold I walk like a geisha.

It's worth noting that Pacerpoles will send their poles anywhere in the world free of charge, and then you get four weeks to change your mind if you wish. Not sure who pays for return though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was unsure about the added value of Pacer Poles over standard design poles prior to my first Camino walk.
However, whilst staying in the Lakes District I called the 'creator', the lovely Heather, who invited me to her home, gave me a half hour 'lesson' along with a cup of tea and shared her very gracious and humble philosophy on life. I was completely 'sold'. She is a physiotherapist and her husband an architect, they are both avid walkers. They designed the poles to promote best posture/breathing and maximise the conversion of energy expenditure into mechanical advantage.
The underlying science makes sense and it works for me. Free postage from this family business to Australia/anywhere is also most generous.
Well worth the effort of practising (according to the website videos) until it 'clicks'. I have used them on every step of my Camino, my 100km CBR challenge and every other walk since.

All good things about Pacer Poles, but there are those who do not use poles. They're even on this forum. Hard to believe, but true. Ultimately, like so many other threads, it comes down to an individual choice. Happy walking…..

@Jenyat53 , you don't feel the correct technique with PPs push you to walk faster than you normally would, therefor being a pace difficult to maintain?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Regarding walking with one pole: I did on the first day of CF2, walking along a road from Leon. On this strtch of road one would think you would not need a pole. But I used one ... Result: the left hand, poleless, was kept down by my side and got extremelly swollen. It scared me. Not fun. If you walk with one pole beware of what can happen.

I've been looking at Pacer Poles and I've watched some videos of them in use, and I have to say, I don't see any difference with a pair of standard poles (Lekis, for example) where the grips and straps are used properly.

Two years ago, I bought a second pair of Pacer Poles.
I love walking with them.
However, I refuse to take them on the Camino.
Why?
Because more and more, people are having expensive poles, shoes, and other gear stolen, and in at least two albergues I'm aware of, they will not allow you to take your poles with you into your room. You are required to leave them in a barrel in an unattended spot where anyone can nab them and go.
Also, they are a pain in the kazoo to get home as the Santiago airport won't allow you to carry them on, so you have to find a way to pack them home.
I don't know.. it's just easier to pick up an inexpensive pair of poles on the Camino.
They work just as well, and if you lose one or they get stolen, it's no big loss.

Do they really make a difference?
Well, they're easier on the wrists, to me, but the difference is worth the money to me, especially if it's money lost.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Because more and more, people are having expensive poles, shoes, and other gear stolen, and in at least two albergues I'm aware of, they will not allow you to take your poles with you into your room. You are required to leave them in a barrel in an unattended spot where anyone can nab them and go.
Also, they are a pain in the kazoo to get home as the Santiago airport won't allow you to carry them on, so you have to find a way to pack them home.

Are they too long to fit in your pack?

Currently I use one inexpensive pole which I can take apart and fit in my pack. My aging knees are requesting me to switch to two poles and Pacers look to be the way to go.

Are they too long to fit in your pack?

Currently I use one inexpensive pole which I can take apart and fit in my pack. My aging knees are requesting me to switch to two poles and Pacers look to be the way to go.

Mine are too long to fit in my pack, yes, but my pack is small :)

@Jenyat53 , you don't feel the correct technique with PPs push you to walk faster than you normally would, therefor being a pace difficult to maintain?

Hi Anemone del Camino
Perhaps I don't notice that so much as I am inherently a fast walker and spend all my time on the Camino trying to make sure I stop to smell the roses :).
My daughter (also a fast walker) and I walked together for the first 300km from SJPP and found that no matter how hard we tried, if we walked along side each other, we tended sound like an approaching infantry battalion (despite having rubber tips on) as we were always in sync. We were constantly challenging each other by slowing down.
Rather than pressuring my speed Anemone, I mostly notice that going up hill, the technique made breathing so much easier and any climb much more achievable. This was particularly evident in Canberra last year on the CBR 100 challenge which took teams of three over Canberra's surrounding mountains (actually hills but in Oz they qualify as mts.). We walked for 23 hours straight right through the night with a total of 4 hours breaks included in that time. I am fairly certain that I would not have made it up the last two mountains without my Pacer poles. It may only have been the psychology of them rather than the physics but it worked and the next day I had no muscle strains or soreness anywhere, much to my surprise as a then 61 year old:) .
All that said, I do agree with others that everyone has their own preferences and what works for one may not work for others.
Best wishes with finding what's right for you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've been looking at Pacer Poles and I've watched some videos of them in use, and I have to say, I don't see any difference with a pair of standard poles (Lekis, for example) where the grips and straps are used properly.

Hi Rob I'm a long term Leki pole user ~16 years and recently bought a pair of Pacer Poles to assist with my rehabilitation from a navicular foot fracture. They are heaps different when you use them! With the Lekis I have always used the wrist straps to propel me as taught and this is totally different to the hand grips of the Pacer Poles. I agree with @Anemone del Camino that they tend to make you walk faster, at least in my experience. I'm 5'5" and also have a short stride perhaps we will walk a short Way together sometime and discuss!

Regardless they are proving beneficial to my rehab and were a good replacement for arm crutches to keep me stable when I first began to walk. I like the hand position and it was no problem adjusting to this. Will reserve final judgement until I go for a decent bushwalk with them and report back then.

Last edited:
I am Norwegian and have used ski poles from a young age, and the handles on the Pacers are completely different. I type for a living, so always need to consider what I do with my wrists, hands, shoulders etc so I don't strain or hurt them, and the Pacers have improved my posture and breathing in addition to stopping my hands from swelling, which was why I wanted to try poles again in the first place. I agree they can increase my speed, and on my last Camino I practically flew up the hill after Portomarin, which was a fantastic feeling! If I need to slow down I just put them further forward and use them like normal poles, but am always ready to put them further back and really unleash the rocket power.

Everyone is different and want and need different things. I just know that I walk better with them and feel better both while walking and after. I am actually annoyed that someone has already taken the expression 'pole dancing' and used it for something else! :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have never met a fellow pacerpole user, but even if I were the only one in the world who did so, I would still use them.
That sounds like the best recommendation yet! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am Norwegian and have used ski poles from a young age, and the handles on the Pacers are completely different. I type for a living, so always need to consider what I do with my wrists, hands, shoulders etc so I don't strain or hurt them, and the Pacers have improved my posture and breathing in addition to stopping my hands from swelling, which was why I wanted to try poles again in the first place. I agree they can increase my speed, and on my last Camino I practically flew up the hill after Portomarin, which was a fantastic feeling! If I need to slow down I just put them further forward and use them like normal poles, but am always ready to put them further back and really unleash the rocket power.

Everyone is different and want and need different things. I just know that I walk better with them and feel better both while walking and after. I am actually annoyed that someone has already taken the expression 'pole dancing' and used it for something else! :D
What's wrong with dancing in the Warsaw area???o_O

CBR 100 challenge which took teams of three over Canberra's surrounding mountains (actually hills but in Oz they qualify as mts.)
Actually, @Jenyat53, the naming conventions in the ACT are consistent with international norms for the naming of mountains. Every peak that has been so named has an altitude over 700 metres. Other ACT prominences that have been named hills (Urambi and Tuggeranong) technically qualify as mountains under these criteria. The name is a statement about the height of a geographical feature, nothing else.

Actually, @Jenyat53, the naming conventions in the ACT are consistent with international norms for the naming of mountains. Every peak that has been so named has an altitude over 700 metres. Other ACT prominences that have been named hills (Urambi and Tuggeranong) technically qualify as mountains under these criteria. The name is a statement about the height of a geographical feature, nothing else.

Thanks for that Dougfitz. I was being a little tongue in cheek given the relative heights of many European mountains but your expertise is very helpful in technical clarification. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Rob, good to see a fellow skeptic at last.:) You do not know the hornets nest you are about to stir up with this suggestion, although you could get some idea by searching for some of my posts on the same theme as yours. I eventually had to promise to trial a pair of Pacer poles when I get the opportunity in order to form a practical opinion on the matter.

Rob, good to see a fellow skeptic at last.:) You do not know the hornets nest you are about to stir up with this suggestion, although you could get some idea by searching for some of my posts on the same theme as yours. I eventually had to promise to trial a pair of Pacer poles when I get the opportunity in order to form a practical opinion on the matter.

Happy to lend you one of my pairs any time you are Northside Doug. I am not a zealot about them, they just work for me but I totally get that we all have different requirements. :)

Two years ago, I bought a second pair of Pacer Poles.
I love walking with them.
However, I refuse to take them on the Camino.
Why?
I don't know.. it's just easier to pick up an inexpensive pair of poles on the Camino.
They work just as well, and if you lose one or they get stolen, it's no big loss.

Do they really make a difference?
Well, they're easier on the wrists, to me, but the difference is worth the money to me, especially if it's money lost.

Most of the albergues don't let you in with poles or boots, I do understand why some people are just pigs but I refuse to leave either at the door so prior of my arrival I put my poles inside my pack and shoes in a plastic shopping bag I carry for that purpose and walk in no one stop me yet and I don't make a big deal out of it.

Zzotte

Most read last week in this forum

All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
I’m walking the Frances in late Oct thru November. Is a 55L osprey too large in your opinion? Thx is for suggestions. Frank
Dear all, as I intent to bring a tent I would be very grateful if you could share some of your tips on how to keep the total weight down or even your own packing list. Currently I am about to...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
I have a pacemaker on my left upper chest, right where a backpack strap goes. I am considering using a large messenger bag, approximately 20 litres, and a small hip pack, less than 5 litres...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.