• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone have info on doing a Pilgrimage from Iona, Scotland to Lindisfarne, England?

Kasee

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: '22, '23, '24
Portugues: 23
Invierno: 24
I’d love to walk from Iona to Lindisfarne, but it seems that I’ll need to stitch together several shorter walks. Does anyone have any leads on maps or planning tools? Even better, are there groups that do this path? I would love to learn from someone who knows the history of the many historic and sacred sites.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What can I say? Scottish Romanticism? Where else would you get it? Thanks, @MinaKamina, this has set the tone for my day, my week.
Camino to Santiago, whatever it has become, was born in a search for meaning and redemption.
Translate that as you wish. Ignore it at your peril! 😈
Buen camino, everyone!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What can I say? Scottish Romanticism? Where else would you get it? Thanks, @MinaKamina, this has set the tone for my day, my week.
Camino to Santiago, whatever it has become, was born in a search for meaning and redemption.
Translate that as you wish. Ignore it at your peril! 😈
Buen camino, everyone!

I am hoping to watch one podcast per day in the coming weeks. No binge watching, but keeping their pace instead. Looking forward to it, great way to end the day in peace (or rain) 😇 😇

I’d love to walk from Iona to Lindisfarne, but it seems that I’ll need to stitch together several shorter walks. Does anyone have any leads on maps or planning tools? Even better, are there groups that do this path? I would love to learn from someone who knows the history of the many historic and sacred sites.
Some years ago I walked with a group of friends from Melrose Abbey (where the bones of Robert the Bruce are buried) to Lindisfarne. Because we were a group we rented a place and with shuttle cars we returned back home every evening until the last day. We crossed the bay in bare feet to Lindisfarne and stayed there for the weekend. It was an incredible pilgrimage!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Me too👣👣😊

Day 2 is hilarious.
3.38 minutes of our beloved aspiring pilgrims almost eaten alive by midges.
They took a short route. Apparently you can also talk the long road, 4 beautiful days on Iona.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hope there is more walking than talking...the scenery is more eloquent...

Ay.... no.

Two of them walked the walk and all three do the talk - about the walk.
There is a bay in the background, with small boats. The weather is good and there are no bloodthirsty insects around.
The conversation is very interesting. The landscape, the history, how Christianity came to Northumberland (a tough case, that one.) (And well done, Aidan!)

No info about practical matters like lodgings for instance because surprise! they have a big campervan! Still, if you are interested in the pilgrimage as a pilgrimage, there is a lot to be learned here.

I'll stick to one podcast a day and I am waiting for the moment when they realize that it is kind of odd to have one guy driving the van and making sketches on the way, and a photographer walking the trail and taking pictures of the landscape - and not showing any of those sketches and pictures at all.
Let the penny drop! 😇

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Probably? 😁
(I do not want to steal OP's thunder, but have a look for a hilarious site about midges in Scotland, and do buy a midge protection suit 😇).
A while back I posted a link to a great song by a Scottish songwriter about the vicious little buggers! A very old low-quality recording but the sentiment comes across very well! :) As a Scot who has spent a few summers on the west coast and who was the abbey guide on Iona for a summer in a previous century it all rings very true indeed! :)

Post in thread 'West Highland Way compared to Camino Frances/Portuguese' https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-camino-frances-portuguese.79929/post-1126897

I think it is very unlikely that you will find an organised group walking from Iona to Lindisfarne. A friend of a friend made that journey solo earlier this year and found it a solitary and expensive business - Scotland is not well supplied with pilgrim albergues!

Not exactly what the OP is asking for but there is an established group walking pilgrimage to Iona in Holy Week. Scottish Cross. An offshoot of the much longer established Student Cross pilgrimage to Walsingham which has now become "Pilgrim Cross" to acknowledge the advancing age of many of its participants! :) There is also a related walk to Lindisfarne at the same time - Northern Cross. Very different in character from a Camino walk which is essentially a private individual business.

Day 4 of the Pilgrim Podcast. No landscapes.

The Three are sitting on a couch in what looks like a sitting room with a library. We would like to know if this is a place to stay for pilgrims, like an albergue, but no. Talking! Singing!
We learn more about the meaning of pilgrimage through the ages and why being underwhelmed is good.

The guy named Rich is not only the sound engineer of this expedition, but also an artist who writes his own music.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"Day 5 - in which Calum Macfarlane-Barrow a 91 year-old former poacher turned huntsman, farmer and artist, explains the potency of ‘body prayer’, and how pilgrimage has changed the entire trajectory of his life."

The charity Mary's Meals is still being run from the same shed of Craig Lodge Family House of Prayer, by one of his sons.

Thanks for updates. I will wait till later to catch up. Mary's Meals is one of so many - not to disparage it by any means - charities that ought not exist. If you don't get what I am saying you can pm me. This is not the space for explanations!

Hi Kasee, I live on the Isle of Mull and have recently started supported pilgrims wishing to make the journey to or from the Isle of Iona across Mull. I'm increasingly getting enquiries from folk wishing to make the journey from Iona to Lindisfarne or the opposite direction - Mull is a particularly challenging section in terms of infrastructure and accommodation, particularly if you prefer not to walk on the road, which is why I offer to support and guide folk. Happy to help if I can be of any assistance - I might be able to put you in touch with a few pilgrims who have made the journey all the way to Lindisfarne (or to St. Andrews) if of interest. You'll find me at mullanotherway.co.uk best wishes, Wendy

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.