• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Apps on the Camino & Random Tech Help!

misspenn2519

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2024
Hello - I tried searching old posts to avoid asking the same question twice - got some answers and have some new ones! As I prepare to undertake my first camino (Route Frances) starting in mid-May), I'm trying to get the apps I need and comfortable with them before I go. Because I'm currently in treatment for breast cancer and expect I may be taking the route rather easy and unplanned, I want to be sure I have apps where I can easily not only find accommodations - but Ideally an app that also has reviews of the accommodations. Buen Camino was one recommended to me - and it seems really great - but the font on it is so tiny it's almost unusable for me (I have to use a magnifier!). I've increased the text size on my iphone all the way to max and it doesn't make a difference. I couldn't find any settings options within the app to help. Any ideas?

As far as other apps, I read Camino Ninja was great but many thought it was discontinued. I found it.. but not sure if it's the same old one bc there are no reviews. That one also has tiny font I can't adjust - and not sure how up to date any of these apps are with respect to full list of accommodations?

I'm mainly only concerned about having something my first night in SFPdP bc I arrive later (around 8:30) and then again mid-way through the extra mountainous first leg (I'm not sure if Napoleon will be reopened by the time I arrive).

Apologies for so many questions - so to recap - which apps? Can I increase font size in Buen Camino or Camino Ninja? Any thoughts on booking first couple nights; I'm having trouble finding availability already in SJPdP for those that takes rez in advance, arriving May 19 or May 20. Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have walked many Caminos. The @wisepilgrim app for Camino Frances is all I need for the purposes you mention, and much more. I can easily read it all with my glasses on (I am 70...). It will cost you 5€, with lifelong updates incuded. For overview of travel options, I have the Rome2rio app. It is free. And great.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ve tried increasing the font size within the Buen Camino app through the IPhone accessibility settings but no luck unfortunately (looks like the app doesn’t allow for dynamic text).

Personally I like gronze.com for Camino planning - its web-based so increasing the font size shouldn’t be an issue. Take a couple of days to get used to it at home, afterwards you should be fine using it during your Camino. The Camino Frances is well signed and you won’t be alone most of the time, so I don’t think that a navigator app is a must. If you don’t find anything that you like I wouldn’t worry too much. Getting lost is highly unlikely and you’ll find all the Info you need from gronze and the other pilgrims.

As for your start date - that’s the Pentecost weekend so you might want to book places for the first few nights sooner rather than later. Pentecost is a popular time for many Europeans to take mini-holidays. You can try booking places via an aggregator website (like booking) or by contacting them directly (phone numbers and email addresses are shown in gronze).

Have a fantastic time! The Camino is a wonderful experience.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm not sure I have much to add to the suggestions above, except to mention that Gronze is available as an app (Gronze Maps) as well as a website, although I'm not sure how resizable the fonts on the app are.

I have walked many Caminos. The @wisepilgrim app for Camino Frances is all I need for the purposes you mention, and much more. I can easily read it all with my glasses on (I am 70...). It will cost you 5€, with lifelong updates incuded. For overview of travel options, I have the Rome2rio app. It is free. And great.
I actually did buy the wise pilgrim earlier today! Glad it has been helpful!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’ve tried increasing the font size within the Buen Camino app through the IPhone accessibility settings but no luck unfortunately (looks like the app doesn’t allow for dynamic text).

Personally I like gronze.com for Camino planning - its web-based so increasing the font size shouldn’t be an issue. Take a couple of days to get used to it at home, afterwards you should be fine using it during your Camino. The Camino Frances is well signed and you won’t be alone most of the time, so I don’t think that a navigator app is a must. If you don’t find anything that you like I wouldn’t worry too much. Getting lost is highly unlikely and you’ll find all the Info you need from gronze and the other pilgrims.

As for your start date - that’s the Pentecost weekend so you might want to book places for the first few nights sooner rather than later. Pentecost is a popular time for many Europeans to take mini-holidays. You can try booking places via an aggregator website (like booking) or by contacting them directly (phone numbers and email addresses are shown in gronze).

Thank you for that heads up! I did not realize!

Buen Camino was one recommended to me - and it seems really great - but the font on it is so tiny it's almost unusable for me (I have to use a magnifier!). I've increased the text size on my iphone all the way to max and it doesn't make a difference. I couldn't find any settings options within the app to help. Any ideas?
Hi misspenn2519!
This might be overkill
; but then again it might not be and if it helps great!!!

Apple and Android both have their own accessibility apps that functions for their phones! (easy to use)
I use Android, not up to speed with apple!
So the below my not exactly be relevant to you if and Apple user but Apple will have the same support!!

I have severe sight probs and use a Google pixel 7 Pro (android)
If you cant function with the normal max phone settings install the app relevant to your phone!

Wise Pilgrim functions best for me when using assistive tech and the layout is simple to follow, has accommodation listed, reviews, web addresses, phone numbers and where available whats app.

I use Google Talkback which reads any text aloud from your phone (i use blue tooth ear buds so as not to annoy others by having to listen to it)
If you do have Android install Google Lookout app as well (life changer and free )when in use point it at menus, street signs ,labels, full page text . (It will tell you aloud move left right up or down in or out) Then it will say take a picture; tap your phone screen and it will read that info aloud. (earbuds in again 🤣 )

Lastly i would imagine that you cant see your phone screen in sunlight or poor light (don't know if i am making to big an assumption here)

I use a free navigation app called OSMAND+ available on iPhone 12 and later and Android it has voice navigation, and has got me along my Caminos.
Have a wonderful walk
Buen Camino
Woody

I used WisePilgrim (both for the online map and finding hostels/albergues to book), WhatsApp for texting the for room reservations, the Gronze web site for route planning and accommodation recommendations, and sometimes booking.com (only if I had trouble booking directly). I also used maps.me, with the Frances route maps dowloaded before I left home, for navigation when I had no internet connectivity.

Jim

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used WisePilgrim (both for the online map and finding hostels/albergues to book), WhatsApp for texting the for room reservations, the Gronze web site for route planning and accommodation recommendations, and sometimes booking.com (only if I had trouble booking directly). I also used maps.me, with the Frances route maps dowloaded before I left home, for navigation when I had no internet connectivity.

Jim
In the Wisepilgrim app(s) you can download the maps to use them offline, not needing any form of connection.

I like Gronze. Here are a few tips.

If you use the Chrome browser it will either automatically translate the webpages for you or ask you if you want it to do the translation. Other browsers can do translations also but you probably have to use their menus to get it done.

When translated some names may come up strange looking. Just making something up here but "3 km to dishes" could originally have been "3 km a [town named] Platos".

Gronze allows useful user comments in a section called Al loro (to the parrot).

I use Buen Camino, Wisepilgrim, and Gronze.com (web based). You can also download the AirBNB app and the booking.com app. Just make sure with those last two that you are actually close to the Camino and not in some town several miles away...
Hi,
Thanks. I agree. But Gronze was only available in Spanish. I couldn't find English.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,
Thanks. I agree. But Gronze was only available in Spanish. I couldn't find English.
@BetteHarris, if you open gronze.com in Google chrome, you can set it to automatically translate. Some things will be a little nonsense (since it also translates the name of the town into English), but you can read everything else.

I'm not sure I have much to add to the suggestions above, except to mention that Gronze is available as an app (Gronze Maps) as well as a website, although I'm not sure how resizable the fonts on the app are.
Is there a way to read Gronze Maps in English please?

Is there a way to read Gronze Maps in English please?
On my Android phone, if I hold on text in the Gronze Maps app to select, a little menu pops up with, in addition to the usual options (Copy, Select all, Share) an option to Translate. On my phone it gives me an option of which app to translate with from apps I have installed on my phone (Google, Google Translate, DeepL).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On my Android phone, if I hold on text in the Gronze Maps app to select, a little menu pops up with, in addition to the usual options (Copy, Select all, Share) an option to Translate. On my phone it gives me an option of which app to translate with from apps I have installed on my phone (Google, Google Translate, DeepL).
Thanks very much Dave. I did do that but just wondered if there was another option.

Thanks very much Dave. I did do that but just wondered if there was another option.
I don't think so. I suspect if they had English translations of the text, it would be on the website. They are a Spanish volunteer operation without translators on staff so it is up to us. :)

The other option is to use the Chrome browser on your phone or computer. Then you have the option to automatically translate most sites that are in other languages to English.

You can see in this screenshot at the bottom of the screen it says that it has been translated to English.

Screenshot_20240404_141640_Chrome.jpg

If it doesn't happen automatically you can tap the three dots at the upper right of the screen for the menu and choose translate.

Screenshot_20240404_141744_Chrome.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thank you for trying ! I am visually impaired so hoped someone might have a tech trick. Looks like such a great app but without ability to increase font size, I either need to do the camino with a magnifier or use a different app!

Hi misspenn2519!
This might be overkill
; but then again it might not be and if it helps great!!!

Apple and Android both have their own accessibility apps that functions for their phones! (easy to use)
I use Android, not up to speed with apple!
So the below my not exactly be relevant to you if and Apple user but Apple will have the same support!!

I have severe sight probs and use a Google pixel 7 Pro (android)
If you cant function with the normal max phone settings install the app relevant to your phone!

Wise Pilgrim functions best for me when using assistive tech and the layout is simple to follow, has accommodation listed, reviews, web addresses, phone numbers and where available whats app.

I use Google Talkback which reads any text aloud from your phone (i use blue tooth ear buds so as not to annoy others by having to listen to it)
If you do have Android install Google Lookout app as well (life changer and free )when in use point it at menus, street signs ,labels, full page text . (It will tell you aloud move left right up or down in or out) Then it will say take a picture; tap your phone screen and it will read that info aloud. (earbuds in again 🤣 )

Lastly i would imagine that you cant see your phone screen in sunlight or poor light (don't know if i am making to big an assumption here)

I use a free navigation app called OSMAND+ available on iPhone 12 and later and Android it has voice navigation, and has got me along my Caminos.
Have a wonderful walk
Buen Camino
Woody
This is not overkill at all - it is very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time! It's funny how you go through life being told you're visually impaired but mostly don't feel it because so much is adaptable. Then something like this and you just feel so challenged to accommodate for your disability. I appreciate you.

The other option is to use the Chrome browser on your phone or computer. Then you have the option to automatically translate most sites that are in other languages to English.

You can see in this screenshot at the bottom of the screen it says that it has been translated to English.

View attachment 167374

If it doesn't happen automatically you can tap the three dots at the upper right of the screen for the menu and choose translate.

View attachment 167375
Thank you for taking this much time and effort to give me tips!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used Gronze for accomodation and eventually found that there is also a lot of info about each route and special details for bigger towns. They also have a map of where the accommodation is found and a link to google maps so you can actually find it.
Then I used Camino Ninja which is again up and running and as current as they can make it - I used it for the GPS tracker - all I needed to do was to follow the blue line.
My last Camino was VDLP and I used @geraldkelly 's online guide as well.
If I was walking the Frances, I would probably look for an online guide in PDF so I can increase the font, or copy a physical guide onto my phone - not a great solution but as an optional extra it would be ok.
Really, Gronze was my major source of info and very easy to use once I explored all the links and pages.

Edit - With Gronze I used the text highlight tool that has a translate option as well as the normal cut, paste etc. At least on an iPhone it does. Very easy to use once you get into the swing of it.

Thank you for trying ! I am visually impaired so hoped someone might have a tech trick. Looks like such a great app but without ability to increase font size, I either need to do the camino with a magnifier or use a different app!
There’s an integrated magnify option (Zoom) in the iPhone accessibility settings. To be honest I find that hard to use (you need three fingers to move around the screen) but that might be an alternative for bringing a physical magnifier.

Alternatively - use a tablet with SIM (or at least wifi) function. Something kindle sized would be small enough to carry comfortably while given you a large enough screen size to see properly. Maybe even in combination with the magnify option (should be available on all apple devices) that you can practice using at home.

I really hope it all works out! My partner is a accessibility researcher and it’s often these „little“ things that present challenges for people with impairments. Regardless, the Camino is a very helpful environment. Whenever you’ll communicate that you’ll struggle with reading information other pilgrims will do their absolute best to support you. Please don’t let this put you off.

This is not overkill at all - it is very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time! It's funny how you go through life being told you're visually impaired but mostly don't feel it because so much is adaptable. Then something like this and you just feel so challenged to accommodate for your disability. I appreciate you.
Hi again misspenn!
With the info i gave you ALL apps will be accessible to you!
I forgot to add that when installed they can magnify to a max size of i think 800% (from a shortcut or triple tap on screen)
You can also use colour inversion with a shortcut which is high contrast takes the white out glare of the screen! (the images below are with colour inversion)
Image below is of the Wise Pilgrim Frances app in portrait ;landscape it is larger and will still scroll!
Once you work your way around these apps they make life sooo much easier.
But they wont improve your phone screens ability to shed glare which is why i use talkback and voice navigation!
In daylight outside my phone is just a black shiny block.
Buen Camino
Woody

Attachments

• WISE PILGRIM ON PHONE.jpg
    WISE PILGRIM ON PHONE.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 8
  • WISE PILGRIM LANDSCAPE PHOTO.jpg
    WISE PILGRIM LANDSCAPE PHOTO.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 9
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello - I tried searching old posts to avoid asking the same question twice - got some answers and have some new ones! As I prepare to undertake my first camino (Route Frances) starting in mid-May), I'm trying to get the apps I need and comfortable with them before I go. Because I'm currently in treatment for breast cancer and expect I may be taking the route rather easy and unplanned, I want to be sure I have apps where I can easily not only find accommodations - but Ideally an app that also has reviews of the accommodations. Buen Camino was one recommended to me - and it seems really great - but the font on it is so tiny it's almost unusable for me (I have to use a magnifier!). I've increased the text size on my iphone all the way to max and it doesn't make a difference. I couldn't find any settings options within the app to help. Any ideas?

As far as other apps, I read Camino Ninja was great but many thought it was discontinued. I found it.. but not sure if it's the same old one bc there are no reviews. That one also has tiny font I can't adjust - and not sure how up to date any of these apps are with respect to full list of accommodations?

I'm mainly only concerned about having something my first night in SFPdP bc I arrive later (around 8:30) and then again mid-way through the extra mountainous first leg (I'm not sure if Napoleon will be reopened by the time I arrive).

Apologies for so many questions - so to recap - which apps? Can I increase font size in Buen Camino or Camino Ninja? Any thoughts on booking first couple nights; I'm having trouble finding availability already in SJPdP for those that takes rez in advance, arriving May 19 or May 20. Thank you!

Camino Ninja (copy /paste, not mine)
After the passing of its creator in July 2022, the Camino Ninja app was not available on the app store or play store for a while, but it is back and has been updated (and will reportedly continue to be going forward, according to Peter Eich who has taken it over from its late creator Andy Jensen). It is now again available from both the Apple istore and the Google Playstore.
It is free and offers offline information about accomodation and routes along the Camino, including exact distance and elevation calculations. You put in your route, where you are starting and where you want to walk and it calculates the distance, minimum and maximum elevation, elevation gain or loss and gives you the towns you will pass through and distances of those towns. It supplies great detailed information about each accomodation option, plus GPS ability to track yourself on the route maps, elevation maps and town maps to ease navigation.
Pros: its free and very intuitive and easy to use. It also has a handy feature where, once you have set your starting point and ending point for the day, you can click on the “dist” label on the left and it will give you real time info on your distance from both your planned destination for the day and your nearest town. You can also click on the “elev” label on the right to see the elevation map for the day along with a green dot that shows your current position.

Camino Ninja (copy /paste, not mine)
After the passing of its creator in July 2022, the Camino Ninja app was not available on the app store or play store for a while, but it is back and has been updated (and will reportedly continue to be going forward, according to Peter Eich who has taken it over from its late creator Andy Jensen). It is now again available from both the Apple istore and the Google Playstore.
It is free and offers offline information about accomodation and routes along the Camino, including exact distance and elevation calculations. You put in your route, where you are starting and where you want to walk and it calculates the distance, minimum and maximum elevation, elevation gain or loss and gives you the towns you will pass through and distances of those towns. It supplies great detailed information about each accomodation option, plus GPS ability to track yourself on the route maps, elevation maps and town maps to ease navigation.
Pros: its free and very intuitive and easy to use. It also has a handy feature where, once you have set your starting point and ending point for the day, you can click on the “dist” label on the left and it will give you real time info on your distance from both your planned destination for the day and your nearest town. You can also click on the “elev” label on the right to see the elevation map for the day along with a green dot that shows your current position.
Thanks @merlinandamy
Camino Ninja is my favourite app - very user friendly and easy to use.

Someone inquired on a FB page, whether the Camino Ninja app will be adding the Norte route. If there is information that can be passed along, I'm happy to do so. TY!

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.