• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April/May 2017 Crowds and weather?

jan1749

Time of past OR future Camino
2008 (2017)
My daughter and I are planning on walking from Sarria to Santiago to Finesterre starting in late April (last week?) or sometime in May. What should we expect re: weather? And are crowds more likely during that time period than during late May to June?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There will be weather: this site http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios is reliable for both forecasts and history. In Galicia expect rain and be joyful when it doesn't.

Crowds? Holy week is a popular time to walk for many. Easter Sunday is 16 April in 2017. From Sarria crowds are always likely but you will always find a bed and a meal.

There will be weather: this site http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios is reliable for both forecasts and history. In Galicia expect rain and be joyful when it doesn't.

Crowds? Holy week is a popular time to walk for many. Easter Sunday is 16 April in 2017. From Sarria crowds are always likely but you will always find a bed and a meal.
My daughter and I are planning on walking from Sarria to Santiago to Finesterre starting in late April (last week?) or sometime in May. What should we expect re: weather? And are crowds more likely during that time period than during late May to June?
I will also be starting my Camino the last day of April 2017. I have been watching a YouTube video series of a couple that started the last week of April this year (2016) "Camino Santiago Journey." I have been watching it just so I can gage the weather and it appears it will be cold in the mornings. It seems overcast 50% of the time and light rain 25% of the time. I look forward to seeing you on the way.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
while past years are only a guide, not a promise, here is the webpage to look up statistics for how many pilgrims arrived at SdC any given month
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/
I intuitively feel after Holy Week but still early Spring will be less crowded than May into Jun. that said, I arrived in SdC in June (albeit in 2012) and didn't find the crowds overwhelming...and I hate crowds. I am really sensitive to crowds. Things may be worse now compared to then. Also I only walked the Frances from Melide to SdC and did that stretch in two days. One positive thing is the infrastructure from Sarria to SdC is really, REALLY robust. People might gripe about bed races further upstream, but that's because they are hitting choke points where the town may not be up to handling record numbers. I don't think anywhere in the last 100km expects small numbers...they are usually up to the task. Monte del Gozo would put many military operations to shame.

Following this thread with interest.

I will be setting out from Sarria, or maybe Barbadelo, on 24th April with the aim of arriving in Santiago on the 30th, my 60th birthday.

(Actually, I think I may get into the city the day before and then get my compostela and go to the cathedral on my birthday.)

I will be joined in the city by several friends and family members (some may walk with me for all or part of the 100km).

I have already reserved rooms at Hotel Costa Vella because it's a holiday weekend, but I am wondering how busy the Camino is likely to be that last week of April and whether I should be thinking about making reservations along those 100km.

I'm starting 1 May 2017 from SJPP, and expecting a mix of rain, sun, mud, dry, warm and cold. And the joy of not knowing in which order I'll find them all...
I just found myself YouTubing the singing nun from Santiago: it's going to be a long six months!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked during that same time-frame two years ago and encountered remarkably good weather. There was only one day with drenching rain and about ten others with mist or drizzle. However, I was assured throughout that is not always the case. Bring good rain-gear and be happy when you can leave it in the pack. A separate comment... Lots of the folks I walked with used a poncho for rain protection. They theorized it gave better water protection than just a cover for their pack. To me that must be balanced against the tendency of ponchos to 'sail' on windy days. I saw one small woman almost knocked airborne by a guest of wind.

While you can navigate to the climate section of the site from the link @Tincatinker has given, a more direct way is here. This to the normal climate values and you can then navigate to the area on Spain you wish to find out about.

It is also possible to navigate back up a level of the menu tree for other climate services like extreme climate values.

The site is in Spanish. I use a browser like Chrome if I need a translation.

Last edited:
In May of 2013 I left SJPP on the 2nd and had everything from snow to hot sun over the course of my walk. In 2017 I will be leaving SJPP on May 3rd. and hoping for similar weather. It will keep things interesting trying to guess what comes next.☔❄️

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will also be starting my Camino the last day of April 2017. I have been watching a YouTube video series of a couple that started the last week of April this year (2016) "Camino Santiago Journey." I have been watching it just so I can gage the weather and it appears it will be cold in the mornings. It seems overcast 50% of the time and light rain 25% of the time. I look forward to seeing you on the way.
I start at 1 may, we may pass by ; ))

I'm starting 1 May 2017 from SJPP, and expecting a mix of rain, sun, mud, dry, warm and cold. And the joy of not knowing in which order I'll find them all...
I just found myself YouTubing the singing nun from Santiago: it's going to be a long six months!
Yessss agreeeeee ; ) I start also at may 1 from SJPP. First 3 days with my husband and the walking further alone. Maybe we meet or not. All is good at the Camino.
Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Walked 13 April to 30 April 2016. Leon to Santiago. Arrived in Sarria on 25 April. We did notice more people including school groups, bikes, and day tours but never found it crowded except from Monte de Gonzo to the Cathedral where it was pretty crowded but we drew energy from the people. When we arrived in the old part of SDC , SDC was enjoying a Saturday festival so it was very crowded but we enjoyed the atmosphere. We had no issues finding beds including in SDC but we opted for private rooms and on 2 occasions reserved the morning of for that evening. One of the folks walking with us had trouble finding a bed in Ribadiso but eventually found one even after arriving at 3 pm. Others walking with us had no issues but the least expensive options filled up first. Our weather from Sarria was chilly and misty in the morning (1 to 4 degrees Celsius) warming to 12-16 degrees in the afternoon. Layering was key. We had no rain those days (contrary to 13 April to 23 April where we had rain or showers at least almost every day) but ground was slick in places (yay poles!)in the morning. Hope that is helpful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be starting May 1st also, perhaps we will see each other. I agree the wait is not going to be easy. Very excited!

I will be starting May 1st also, perhaps we will see each other. I agree the wait is not going to be easy. Very excited!
Yessss ! We start at JPDD from Coquille Napoleon and walk to Orrison and then go back with a shuttle bus and return may2 to this point by shuttle and walk then to Roncesvalles. Like to meet you!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Well, early April was a little wintry this year on our first day from St. Jean., but after day 2, no real snow or rain issues.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1473608958130.jpg
    FB_IMG_1473608958130.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 6
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yessss ! We start at JPDD from Coquille Napoleon and walk to Orrison and then go back with a shuttle bus and return may2 to this point by shuttle and walk then to Roncesvalles. Like to meet you!
The plan is to leave SJPD May 1st, walk to Orisson and then will continue on the Napoleon Route. That will be extent of the planning for the trip. lol Take my time and enjoy the experience. See you on the Camino Yellowfriend! :)

My wife and I are leaving Amsterdam on April 28th, going by bus to Paris and then train all the way to SJPDP. Our plan is to start the Camino the last day of April 2017 too! :D

What I love about this, is that we are never really alone. I'm sure we will meet up.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It looks like I'm with all of you May 1. I checked my flights and the flight arrival in Biarritz on April 30 changed from 12:50 hrs to 17:00 so I want be able to start tracking to Orisson the day I arrive. I'll spend the night in SJPDP and off to Roncensvilla May 1. I'll see you all on the trail!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New purple Osprey backpack and have to say this makes it all so real!

Attachments

• IMG_3175.JPG
    IMG_3175.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 7
My wife and I are leaving Amsterdam on April 28th, going by bus to Paris and then train all the way to SJPDP. Our plan is to start the Camino the last day of April 2017 too! :D
Look forward to seeing you and your wife out there!

My husband and I are leaving on May 1st from SJPDP! :) We can't wait!! Hope to see you all!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
I found I couldn't make any reservation in SJPP in the coming days. They are fully booked. I can't find even a single bed. What should I do? Is there anybody has a same situation?
Roncesvalles or push to Burguete? I prefer to avoid the recommended stages to avoid the race for albergues. Do you suggest Burguete? Is Roncesvalles too busy?
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
Hi there, I am Nicole. I will start my trip from Villar de Mazarife on 20th May 2024, ends in Ponferrada. It will be my first time ever to hike on camino and I will be hiking alone. I have planned...
Hi all, just a quickie, My friend is near Leon and has fallen into the booking . Com panic as he doesn't want to risk not getting a bed. The word on the street is that beds are few and far...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back