• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are 100% cotton T shirts the answer

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Looking through all my T shirts I find that they are all 100%, would they be ideal for those warm days on the camino, or would they be an item that would take ages to dry.

The other option is 100% marino wool short sleeved base layers, they do have the wicking facility, but wouldn't they also take a long time to dry?

I do have some 100% polyester cycling tops (rather flashy pattern design), would these be a better option?
Being polyester they would certainly dry quicker, I think, but not sure it would take the sweat away from the body.

All thoughts appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think this is a personal preference. When you are going? What do you feel comfortable in?

Middle of summer, super warm temps, cotton is probably as good as anything because it will dry in the baking heat (and a sweaty t-shirt might keep you a bit cooler). I love my merino wool tops and wear them all the time but in warm/damp/humid conditions, like you might get in Galicia in summer, I don’t like the wet wool feeling and unless your tops are very thin wool doesn’t dry all that quickly. Polyester cycling tops tend to get smelly but have pockets and dry quickly. Super expensive synthetic wicking tops dry quickly, are very light but can stink (my partner has a lovely top but even when freshly washed in a machine it still smells). If you are going in the Spring/Autumn I would take wool, if you are in a city you can easily pick up a new cotton t-shirt to wear if you want cotton.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Merino for me also for the reasons stated above also they will keep you warm even when wet. Cotton can cause hypothermia when wet. There is a saying here for people hillwalking, cotton kills.
I'm still alive and my whole life walking in 100% cotton ;) Even in my youth as an alpinist.
I agree that cotton is quite inconvenient in cold weather but no problem with it in warm. In the summer heat of Spain it's dry in matter of minutes and as one of the previous posters said it even cool you when very hot.

One other thing. Last year I got a tech T-shirt as a present and after one single Camino I can throw it away with all those holes and bleached from the sun. And this stuff costs up to 50€! OTOH I used my cotton T-shirt on two Caminos and since it's almost like a new one I intend to use it again this year. For the money difference I can live 2-3 days on Camino :)

I haven't tried merino though...

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Pilgrims your comments are very welcome. I do have a marino wool long sleeve base layer which I intend to take for those chilly morning in Sept/Oct, I just need to get a couple of short sleeve marino base layers.

The other option is 100% marino wool short sleeved base layers, they do have the wicking facility, but wouldn't they also take a long time to dry?
I ditched all my synthetic baseleyer since i discovered merino wool; socks. briefs and tshirts. Not only are they softer on the skin, dries faster and does not stink. Ideal for long trekking.

I ditched all my synthetic baseleyer since i discovered merino wool; socks. briefs and tshirts. Not only are they softer on the skin, dries faster and does not stink. Ideal for long trekking.

I agree, as I mentioned I've got some long sleeved that I use on the winter cycle rides, I'll be off tomorrow to get some short sleeved ones.
No sense in not starting out on the first camino without the right gear.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree, as I mentioned I've got some long sleeved that I use on the winter cycle rides, I'll be off tomorrow to get some short sleeved ones.
No sense in not starting out on the first camino without the right gear.
I did use synthetics on my first camino. I had to wash them everyday. And they don't dry that fast in the Camino climate for some reason. Merino made a huge difference on my 2nd. They are a bit pricey, but well worth the investment. In the us, we can usually get them at a discount occasionally (on name brands icebreaker, ibex, smartwool etc). May be you can still use your long sleeve as a 2nd layer for warmth.

I'm a big fan of the synthetic tech type shirts (and underwear) for doing any activity in which you will perspire a lot. Cotton stays wet, especially the parts of the shirt that make contact with the backpacks. And cotton does take longer to dry after washing and it's heavier. The tech shirts breathe and keep you cooler. I noticed no negligible wear and tear on my synthetic shirts on either Camino.

I'm still alive and my whole life walking in 100% cotton ;) Even in my youth as an alpinist.
I agree that cotton is quite inconvenient in cold weather but no problem with it in warm. In the summer heat of Spain it's dry in matter of minutes and as one of the previous posters said it even cool you when very hot.

One other thing. Last year I got a tech T-shirt as a present and after one single Camino I can throw it away with all those holes and bleached from the sun. And this stuff costs up to 50€! OTOH I used my cotton T-shirt on two Caminos and since it's almost like a new one I intend to use it again this year. For the money difference I can live 2-3 days on Camino :)

I haven't tried merino though...
That's too expensive. I never pay more that $20.00 (US) for mine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's interesting to read the various choices people make. I have to admit that in the UK I always wear cotton T shirts when I go walking, and just throw it in the laundry basket when finished, so drying time is never an issue. Only carrying 2 for the camino puts things slightly more into perspective when I have to ensure that the shed one is going to be ready for the following evening.
As with my socks I'll go for the marino wool T shirts, I can feel the coyness already.

Once again thanks for all the comments, it really does help me make those all important decisions.

That's too expensive. I never pay more that $20.00 (US) for mine.
Of course it's way too expensive, that's why I emphasized it :)
@NicoZ This winter I bought long sleeve in Decathlon for 4,95€ and for testing it properly I would have to undertake winter Camino. I guess my summer type T-shirt was of a similar brand to Decathlon (Montura), cheap, and looked like a moping cloth after single Camino. All of my friends are persuading me to buy this stuff but I can't really go for it. Since I'm sweating a lot I would definitely use it on any winter Camino.
@Waka I agree that one day hiking is completely different than distance walking with limited gear & clothes. Nevertheless I'll use cotton again this year on Levante since I'm expecting hellish temperatures in June and July :D

Ultreia!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Of course it's way too expensive, that's why I emphasized it :)
@NicoZ This winter I bought long sleeve in Decathlon for 4,95€

Which ones? The ones for about €12 are the "high" tech ones. They fit tight. The cheaper ones I can't remember what they're made of (I could go look in the storage box -)) but they fit looser. Aren't quite as warm. I think they take longer to dry. The tech ones come out of the washing machine virtually dry. In the summer you could put them on right away. Obviously hand washing isn't the same thing but they dry very easily

Which ones? The ones for about €12 are the "high" tech ones. They fit tight. The cheaper ones I can't remember what they're made of (I could go look in the storage box -)) but they fit looser. Aren't quite as warm. I think they take longer to dry. The tech ones come out of the washing machine virtually dry. In the summer you could put them on right away. Obviously hand washing isn't the same thing but they dry very easily
This one I think:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-20-mens-hiking-fleece-red-id_8225502.html
It's thin fleece pullover actually but breathes way better than my old fleece. And if I understand correctly material or it's trademark is Oxylane. I'm quite new to the world of tech clothing :confused:

This one I think:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-20-mens-hiking-fleece-red-id_8225502.html
It's thin fleece pullover actually but breathes way better than my old fleece. And if I understand correctly material or it's trademark is Oxylane. I'm quite new to the world of tech clothing :confused:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/helium-ss-t-shirt-green-id_8298887.html

That's the short sleeved summer version of the ones I was thinking about.

With the fleece you mentioned you'd wear some thing underneath. For the winter and layering they're all good :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Waka,
I agree that for a Sept./Oct. Camino (Frances, I presume), I would go with merino or synthetics. Cooler and less sun to dry clothes on the line. I hold a heretical view that, for a mid-summer Camino (July Aug. 2014, Frances) I would have one long-sleeve shirt and one long pant in cotton, for all of the really hot, dry places (especially the meseta) between Pamplona and Galicia (with a matching set of quick drying nylon or wool for the mountains). No shorts or short sleeves--sun was too intense and the sunburns were clinical.

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Waka,
I agree that for a Sept./Oct. Camino (Frances, I presume), I would go with merino or synthetics. Cooler and less sun to dry clothes on the line. I hold a heretical view that, for a mid-summer Camino (July Aug. 2014, Frances) I would have one long-sleeve shirt and one long pant in cotton, for all of the really hot, dry places (especially the meseta) between Pamplona and Galicia (with a matching set of quick drying nylon or wool for the mountains). No shorts or short sleeves--sun was too intense and the sunburns were clinical.

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

Thanks for the advice Jo Jo, yes it is the Frances I'm doing and I will be going for marino T shirts.

I am on the camino now I couldn't stand the polyester so I brought smart wool base layer and light weight cotton bamboo blend t shirts and the are working well .

I am on the camino now I couldn't stand the polyester so I brought smart wool base layer and light weight cotton bamboo blend t shirts and the are working well .

Evel

I take it you're getting good weather? Still 4 months before I start.
I've ordered some MW T shirts so I should be covered, just need a lightweight fleece now and I'm sorted.

Been Camino

I've always been a fan of Merino - having just gotten back from New Zealand - now an even bigger fan. Lightweight and dries fast and more importantly, it takes the moisture away from your body. I have a long sleeved, ultra-lightweight, cotton shirt that is "holy" :) and I only use it for coverage when the sun is killer-intense. Buen Camino

Merino. You'll only be taking two tops with you. Merino dries fast and ...... if you don't get a chance to wash it
you can get at least a weeks wear from a merino top before you start to draw attention to yourself
Can i just say: IEUWWW!!! A week one tshirt without washing? While walking all day? IEUW..

Well, maybe a slight exaggeration. I was trying to make the point that after a days walking merino tops
don't reak, Unlike synthetics. Synthetics stink. Even on a day out on the fells, people have been minging
by lunchtime in synthetics.

It's all relative.

Well i wear and swear by hi-tech synthetics and i can run and walk all i want in them, but my shirts dont stink at the end of a days walking, but i will never ever wear them twice. Take 'm off and let them lay around for a few hours, THEN they start smelling.
Maybe the people that dont smell so nice and fruity while active, need to have a look at their diet and not at their wardrobe ;)

Well, maybe a slight exaggeration. I was trying to make the point that after a days walking merino tops
don't reak, Unlike synthetics. Synthetics stink. Even on a day out on the fells, people have been minging
by lunchtime in synthetics.
Polypropylene is a fairly well known problem when it comes to smell when sweaty. There are other synthetic fabrics that don't. Just blaming 'synthetics' is a bit simplistic.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I like to wear a long sleeved synthetic base layer which I wash through at the end of each day, so just one spare to carry. I also carry a lightweight hooded fleece and an ultralite windproof shirt to layer up if the weather is cool.

I know people who like to wear cotton T shirts and rather than wash them, every few days or even each week they throw them away and replace with a cheapo bought from the many shops along the Camino.

I like to wear a long sleeved synthetic base layer which I wash through at the end of each day, so just one spare to carry. I also carry a lightweight hooded fleece and an ultralite windproof shirt to layer up if the weather is cool.

I know people who like to wear cotton T shirts and rather than wash them, every few days or even each week they throw them away and replace with a cheapo bought from the many shops along the Camino.

Mike

Seems a waste of T shirts to me. I've got an ultralite cycling windproof jacket in case there's a cold wind around, aprt from that it's a fleece and base layer.

Mike

Seems a waste of T shirts to me. I've got an ultralite cycling windproof jacket in case there's a cold wind around, aprt from that it's a fleece and base layer.
You are quite correct Waka those cycling folks have got some really good lightweight windproof jackets. No doubt an essential piece of kit for them.
However as I'm a poncho wearer I use that to save some weight.
I did feel a bit of a drongo wandering around Paris and Madrid in it tho.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You are quite correct Waka those cycling folks have got some really good lightweight windproof jackets. No doubt an essential piece of kit for them.
However as I'm a poncho wearer I use that to save some weight.
I did feel a bit of a drongo wandering around Paris and Madrid in it tho.

I'm trying to picture you sailing around Paris and Madrid in a poncho, I hope it was a neutral colour?

Mike

Exactly what I use Waka. Base layer, lightweight fleece and a Montane windshirt when necessary.

Some people don't sweat like others. I sweat! No matter what I wear, I wash it. My "big" issue is the undergarments. Supportive ones don't dry well or quickly. I've always got one flapping in the breeze like a Solo Flag!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Exactly what I use Waka. Base layer, lightweight fleece and a Montane windshirt when necessary.

I really believe a wind shirt is the answer. When it's windy the heat can be depleted quickly. The old, extremely simple ones are hard to find. I have an old wind shirt I bought for skiing back in 1979. I'd never part with it. (obviously) hehe

The cotton debate definitely depends on the time of year. I wear cotton and synthetics for hiking at home and took both when walking the Camino. Both were fine. It was summer time, so no risk of hypothermia or anything like that.

€149,-
Polypropylene is a fairly well known problem when it comes to smell when sweaty. There are other synthetic fabrics that don't. Just blaming 'synthetics' is a bit simplistic.
Doug is right. Saying that synthetics smell is like saying that pilgrims are catholic. Even quality polyester 'T's are now manufactured now with something called 'polygiene odor control' - look it up.
And quick dry in a damp albergue can be a life saver.
Of course you wash anything next to your body daily.

Wow, they are some price! I've ordered a couple of them and a fleece top to see if they are any good and might bring them on my Camino.

I have a couple of those also. They're lighter then you expect and warmer. Maybe not the best choice for extreme cold weather but if you layer good enough for most everything else

I swear by my UnderArmour tech compression undershirt and boxers. When washed after each use, they never develop the stink. They dry much faster than anything mentioned above. They are comfortable and keep me cool in the heat and warm in the cold. I use synthetic Columbia / NorthFace shirts and pants and those can go a few days without washing but also dry quickly.

If you aren't into washing clothes regularly, merino wool is a great answer.

If you are on s budget, suffer with cotton.

€149,-
What I'm taking out of this conversation is that everything is relative. What one should wear depends basically on three things a) climate and/or immediate weather conditions, b) allowable weight and c) how much money you are willing to spend. So based on that ......

1) high temperatures, low humidity, weight is not a factor, cost is a factor - 100% cotton.
2) high temperatures, low humidity, weight is a factor, cost is a factor - modern synthetic
3) high temperatures, high humidity, weight is not a factor, cost is a factor - modern synthetic
4) high temperatures, high humidity, weight is a factor, cost is a factor - modern synthetic
5) low temperatures, low humidity, weight is not a factor, cost is a factor - modern synthetic
6) low temperatures, low humidity, weight is a factor, cost is factor - modern synthetic
7) low temperatures, high humidity, weight is not a factor, cost is factor - modern synthetic
8) low temperatures, high humidity, weight is a factor, cost is factor - modern synthetic
9) Cost is not a factor - marino wool

Last edited:
This makes no sense at all. Your saying when cost is a factor, buy synthetic. Really? Are you kidding me?
A 5 euro 100% cotton tshirts, thats cheap. A 50-60 euro high tech synthetic T is far from 'cost is a factor'.

Of course, there are also cheap synthetics out there, but the same goes for merino wool. All in all, costwise, your list is far from the truth.

I think that what tortuga bob is saying is that in high humidity and/or low temperature environments, cotton isn't practical, so even if cost is a factor, the impracticality of cotton takes it out of consideration.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think me said cotton once and synthetics 7 times. Looks to like he is trying to say something more

I had always thought it relatively simple:

• hot and dry - cotton is an option
  • anything else - avoid cotton. It doesn't really matter how.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back