• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

are gloves needed ? leaving SJPP in 2 weeks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Things are still pretty warm in Spain in September. Unless you have circulation problems, your hands are likely to be fine.

Having said that, by the time you reach Galicia, the rains may have returned, at which point a pair of light gloves might not be a terrible thing to have. Just understand that for the vast majority of your Camino you will likely be asking yourself why you are dragging them across Spain.

Gloves.....if you are using trekking poles, the fingerless gloves help prevent some of the damage the sun can do to your hands. If you have no poles...I wouldn't worry about bringing them. I didn't use fingerless gloves and had the dreaded camino hand tan when I returned home. (A fully visable strap line too.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It depends on the season of your walk.
I'd say they are convenient between late October and early Mars. And yes, only if you use poles.

I walked last year around the same time you will be walking. I did not bring gloves, but had to buy them in Galicia as the mornings were very chilly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Tedd. We walked 6th of Sept. to Oct. 8th. Definitely did not need them through September, but in that first week of October when just setting out in the morning, was really glad I had them, my lightweight tuque also. Of course you could always use socks on your hands and if you have a buff for your head, that would work too. I just took a pair of stretchy dollar store gloves and had them tucked in the bottom of the side pocket. Happy planning and Buen Camino to you. Linda

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'd skip bringing gloves. And if you do end up needing them they can be found at china bazaar stores for a euro or two.

In a pinch or a sudden cold snap you can always wear socks on your hands to keep warm. Similarly in sudden snow plastic bags with rubber bands can serve as emergency gaiters.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
I think a lot depends on how your hands tolerate cold. As I age, I have noticed that my hands get cold easier. But I know quite a few young folks who also experience cold hands frequently.

I walked from April 22 to June 5. I had light gloves and wore them in the early moring pretty much daily from the start until probably mid-May. This is FYI.

If you don't have cold hands, you could get away with not bringing them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
are gloves a good idea to add to my list?
I don't think you would need gloves for warmth this time of year. There have been times when I was walking in hot conditions that I wore lightweight cotton gardening gloves to protect my hands from the sun. They are so inexpensive that you wouldn't be concerned about throwing them away after finishing the arid sections if you decided they weren't necessary.

I have walked in April/May and September/October and used to start walking about 6.30 am each day to avoid the hot sun. At that time it was very cold for a few hours and I congratulated myself on having brought a pair of light gloves to keep my hands warm.

The mornings can be cold even now in August. Every morning I set out in just shorts and a t-shirt. After 20 first minutes I'm not cold and enjoy the coolness but yes, I have missed having gloves! It's not a comfortable feeling not to be able to move your fingers because they are so cold. My teenage daughter doesn't have this problem. So the final answer might have a lot to do with your age and circulation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Early mornings in Galacia in the last two weeks of October can be cold with frost on the ground until about 10am. Although I am a weight fanatic, I always take gloves, but I have not walked in July and August. I have encountered snow in May and again in late October at O'Cebreiro with a snow storm in my face all the way down to Triacastela.

I took gloves when I walked last year, from Sept. 6 to Oct. 7th and was very glad I packed them. I also took a merino wool cap. Some mornings it was 3 - 4 degrees out, so it was cold enough to warrant wearing both of them until it warmed up.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.