• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in Santiago after 101 Days. It’s a Long Road from Tipperary to Santiago

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
It’s A Long Way From Tipperary To Santiago. Day 100/101.

SANTIAGO:

After my 55K walk yesterday I walk through the forest before dawn in the dark. After almost 3000K my energy is strong and I have passed a dozen or so pilgrims and then I pass a small woman. She recognizes me and says my name. I know her voice. Little Gloria from Ecuador. For a few weeks earlier on Frances I would pass her early in the morning each day for about 10 days straight but I have not seen her since the day I passed her walking into Leon 10 days before. We hug and she starts to cry and I do as well. “Buen Camino Gloria. Ultreia!” Walking on into Santiago just 200 meters or so from Cathedral I see my Hungarian friend Agi for the first time since the Bridge of Orbison. We hug. Moments later at the Cathedral I do not feel as emotional as expected after my almost 3000K pilgrimage but joy at seeing the western facade of the Cathedral for the first time as it had been under restoration on my 5 previous visits. So I continue on to my albergue and shower and then walk to the dentist and yes my tooth is in bad shape and needs to be pulled. But after 2 months of pain, good riddance. Then I have to deal with the local Moviestar office to get my Spanish phone working and it is a long frustrating hour. Not feeling real well at this point and Santiago is crowded with people.

I hear from Laura from Italy and am invited with my 3 friends from yesterday to dinner with two Americans who are studying to become priests that I last saw a day out of Burgos. We have a delicious dinner and quiet but fun reunion in their luxurious AirB&B flat.
A536B36C-E00F-4A31-9ACF-D9D360339A82.jpeg
The next day I get up early to view the Portico de Gloria, which I have never seen and after a two hour wait I walk into the main entrance way of the Cathedral. I am more of a nature lover but on rare occasions see the hand of God in man made works. The joy in the angels, children, musicians, and others surrounding Jesus’ rise into heaven is stunning real and beautiful. I love the statue of Master Matteo who created this great Romanesque work over 25 years in the 12th century and I bow before him as people have been doing for 800 years but you are no longer allowed to touch his head with your own(the legend was that you would get some of his genius by doing so).The narrow column in the center depicting The Tree of Jesse where some pilgrim 800 years ago realized that his hand fit in perfectly. Now it is indented from the millions of pilgrims that have entered the Cathedral and placed their hands in the same very spot making it seem to come to life. I find this emotionally overwhelming as my hand raises without thinking. The Spanish guard steps up and states kindly but firmly, “ You can no longer touch the column for the purpose of preservation.” I nod and just let my hand linger feeling the raw energy of the many coming before me. There is no disappointment as it is enough to be close and feel the energy, relief, and joy of so many kindred pilgrims.

Afterwards I meet Laura at Plaza de Cervantes for tea and a pastry and listen to the beautiful Polish mother and daughter, Anya and Agnes, dressed in loose white blouses and pants, play their violins with such joy that I feel as if they are angels. ( I watched them, listened and enjoyed their music 4 times over the next 10 days). Later walking back to the Cathedral I run into Mariska, one of my Dutch Camino buddies from last year’s Camino Via de la Plata. I am not surprised by this meeting as this sort of chance encounter is not uncommon among pilgrims. She is planning to walk to Finisterre on Monday but I am leaving tomorrow so she changes plans and agrees to join me saying that she has spent enough time in Santiago.

The evening is spent with my 3 walking buddies from 2 days ago and we enjoy the evening listening to opera singers, musicians and partaking of delicious tapas and wine. At one point Laura pulls out her victory cigar which we light up and pass around. It is dried up and broken so difficult to smoke but great fun nevertheless. We say goodnight and there are hugs all around. Laura returns to Italy tomorrow but Astrid, Gina and I will walk on to Finisterre, the end of the world.

Walking back alone to my Albergue I realize that not getting too emotionally high here in Santiago is appropriate. The long walk from Ireland and the lonely stretch through France have brought me to a calmer more balanced state. I simply feel joy. Ultreia!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have only followed you intermittently, and am delighted to have come across this account and I can feel your arrival. Thank you for sharing this wit=th us on the forum. Walk on, with hope in your heart....

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back