• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Article: Pilgrims Inc.: Soul Searching and Commerce on the Way of St. James

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm always curious when I see a post that has many views, but few replies. In some cases, the post is too personal and the viewer is uncomfortable, or to technical, to tongue in cheek, or, or , or. As with many Forum members, I enjoy sharing my insights, read of new albergues, or the sadness when one is closed down. I find first person comments compelling in their heartfelt simplicity, on target in their sincerity and, many times right in line with my way of thinking, or not.

I applaude Amorfati and jayree in both finding the article and recommending it to the Forum.

Now, for the other shoe.

Juan Moreno has done his research...he has the history of the Camino down. The segregating of pilgrims into neat little bundles of beauty personified, nationality centric pronouncements about "fat Italians" (I happen to resemble that), over/under stated observations about the Catholic Church, it's priests and flock, I believe, misses the point. By separating the pilgrim from a very personal desire for a religious, spiritual, or cheap vacation, Moreno falls into the trap of a writer with great notes and poignant quotes...but no personal skin in the game. He may have walked the Camino, road the Camino, or taken snap shots of pilgrims as they walked past the bar where he sits, but...did he experience the Camino for himself, or just the story? Was his "skin in the game" personal, or bank rolled by Der Spiegel?

I am not knocking Juan, in fact there is hope for him. To paraphrase his final few lines in the piece:
As long as I live in a world that is too fast-paced, the Camino HAS Become an attraction; as long as the Way of St. James continues to offer a place where I can walk and communicate the way I should, face to face. The world I live in today is one that creates desires. And with his book, Hape Kerkeling has turned consumers into pilgrims. The Way of St. James takes these pilgrims and turns them into disciples.

Oh, back to my point about many VIEWS, but few Replies. Moreno's focus appears to be toward being the next Hape Kerkeling, hoping to inspire readers to walk the Way. That, in and of itself, is more noble that it may appear to the jaundiced eye.

I believe the reason for few replies is that, just a few sentences into the piece, I recognized Moreno was just retelling OUR story. We are already there! The fat Italians aside, many of us need not reread what we have already experienced. Been there, done that, got the scallop shell and Compostella!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Arn:

You are a bit more forgiving than I. I found him petty and small-minded. Saying the Germans observe the obligations, while slamming the Spanish, Americans and French? Questioning Pietro's (an Italian) spirituality? Referring to the "Fat Italians"?

While there clearly was some utility to the article, it was overshadowed by his (unnecessary and inaccurate) ethnic bashing.

Eh, Joey! You sound like a gumba. The great thing about the USA is we have the constitutional right to be offended. My dad (Dominick) said the argument starts with the second word. One more: "Just observe. Then remember this is the type of person you don't want to be."

Now, all that said, when we get upset at someone (right or wrong) for what they have said, we give them power over us. The power to cause internal strife. Why give anyone that power.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Geez-- is it THAT obvious?!?

18 years of schooling apparently can't hide my Brooklyn roots. :)

BTW, it's "goombah". Fuhgeddaboudit.

Last edited:
Has anyone of us been able to convey -- to those back home who know us best -- in the weeks, months, or years after we returned -- anymore than a glimpse or whisper or taste or touch of our experience on the Camino?

Moreno is a good writer, and what Spiegel Online published probably is a shorter edited version of Moreno's draft -- probably less and somewhat different than the glimpse any writer could convey in a few thousand words published for an international audience of (online) readers.

I walked in February and March -- a very different time of year than yesterday when more than 2,500 pilgrims appeared at the pilgrim's office in Santiago; consequently, I don't recognize elements of Moreno's experience (or for that matter some of what is discussed in this forum ... of course, I didn't recognize elements of the movie "The Way" either).

If Moreno's article inspires people to walk the Camino -- and some of those people experience (and bring home with them) the change I did -- then I say good on Moreno and the article.

Of course, as one who prefers not to stand in long lines or drive in heavy traffic, I suspect my next Camino will not be the Frances ... instead, perhaps one of the routes less traveled -- and less publicized.

I'd question that, at it's medieval peak, the Camino Frances was only ever walked by "a few thousand" a year as this article states. The extant medieval support infrastructure on a Europe wide basis- the hospitals (as in pilgrim accommodations), bridges, churches, knightly affiliations-good grief even the setting up of a town-Santo Domingo de la Calzada-by the Camino's very own 'support saint/engineer St Dominic of the roads would indicate, even given medieval population densities, a greater pilgrim flow. That plus all the literary evidence and the knowledge of the churches endorsement and enthusiastic support for the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela would suggest that we modern pilgrims, in terms of 'pilgrim mass', are still 'the new kids on the block'. Lets give it a century or two before we start crowing!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back