• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Artists on Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I happened to see a detailed art drawing by a forum member under "Random camino photos" today. I found the photo intriguing, so I searched the artist's name, @Paul Revill, and found his whole series of 37 drawings as he walked the Camino Frances. He sketches with a detailed, charming type of doodling imo.
I thought I would bring it to the attention of forum members in case others would like to see his work as the drawings are only in the media section.
Another artist I have enjoyed is @Stephan the Painter; he sketched daily, adding in water colors.
I know there have been other artists who sketch, but I no longer recall how to look them up.
A sample of Paul's work...
Screenshot_20221027-052014~2.png

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've got a few books by artists who have sketched or painted their Caminos. I wouldn't mind a few more.

(I know that the Camino is supposed to help us detach from wanting "stuff" with the realization of how little we really need. It has failed utterly to stem my growing collection of books, just given me another topic to collect books on.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A Japanese artist, Ikeda Munehiro did a 700 page watercolor guide to the Camino in 1983 through 1986. There was a copy on display at the Pilgrims Museum in Santiago

Yes, an actual guidebook that showed the trail and places to stay, etc.

From what I could gather the Xunta de Galicia printed 500 copies in 1999. I think There’s one at the University of Santiago at their library, but it seemed a daunting challenge to see if I could look at it.

Any more information about this would be greatly appreciate it. I’d love to get a copy of this, although I’m betting that’s a longshot if they’re really only 500 of them.

79525DAB-C6FF-4CE1-AC01-B25D7C4F8EEE.jpeg

Document Type:Book
All Authors / Contributors:Munehiro Ikeda
Find more information about:
Munehiro Ikeda
ISBN:8445324292 9788445324295
OCLC Number:432967897
Description:417, [44] p. principalmente il. color 24 x 34 cm
Responsibility:Ikeda Munehiro; [traducción, Teruko Kasutani y Rosa M. Casals].u

738A76E8-78EB-4407-821B-9C459D4986B5.jpeg
BE83C513-F502-430B-AEF2-E8415EF3A9FC.jpegAEED273F-0D4B-4E84-85B5-E11DA1433CFC.jpeg

Last edited:
Kinda the same thing I suppose, I've stayed at the Albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo a couple of times and it's filled with artwork by pilgrims who have stayed there.
It's a really cool albergue with a good vibe.
IMG_20220926_132503743_HDR.jpgIMG_20220926_132546754.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I happened to see a detailed art drawing by a forum member under "Random camino photos" today. I found the photo intriguing, so I searched the artist's name, @Paul Revill, and found his whole series of 37 drawings as he walked the Camino Frances. He sketches with a detailed, charming type of doodling imo.
I thought I would bring it to the attention of forum members in case others would like to see his work as the drawings are only in the media section.
Another artist I have enjoyed is @Stephan the Painter; he sketched daily, adding in water colors.
I know there have been other artists who sketch, but I no longer recall how to look them up.
View attachment 135630

I found one of the art paintings in the Gamrekeli Gallery a few days ago. It was titled "the way to Santiago de Compostela". It was an anonymous painting and had a view from the cliff. Unfortunately, I couldn't take the photo (the gallery prohibited it). I can't find the painting on their website, too. This gallery is located in Tbilisi, Georgia. Maybe someone knows about the painter? I really want to find out who painted it and how this painting happened to be in the Georgian exhibition.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love those T-shirts! Do you know if he was selling them on the Camino or online? I'd love ordering one.
I may have messed up with my Spanish but I left the conversation with the belief that he drew on the shirts as personal souvenirs of his various caminos. I was surprised to see one hanging up in the Muxia bar.

when I was Hospi at San Anton a lady checked in and had enough time to create a watercolor , you see time is of the essence as well . look carefully as there a lot of detail which is not immediately apparent. Top left are our owls . one female and a male. The mother at 4am would bring them live food so they would learn how to hunt. It was dropped on the the albergue roof and all hell broke loose which was perturbing to some pilgrims, I guess they are adults now,

Attachments

• CAMINO HOSPITALERO JUNE 2016 223a.jpg
    CAMINO HOSPITALERO JUNE 2016 223a.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 36
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
when I was Hospi at San Anton a lady checked in and had enough time to create a watercolor , you see time is of the essence as well . look carefully as there a lot of detail which is not immediately apparent. Top left are our owls . one female and a male. The mother at 4am would bring them live food so they would learn how to hunt. It was dropped on the the albergue roof and all hell broke loose which was perturbing to some pilgrims, I guess they are adults now,
Lovely, and yes, I see the owls when I enlarge the picture! What an interesting little story; it gives new meaning to "live feed".🙂

View attachment 135630
It is a wonderful thing to do sketchbooks through Caminos. I, myself, am a urbansketcher. Every Camino a cary tiny wattercolourset, a small brush and a sketchbook. Infortunatly, I never did a complete travelbook as I intended. First, there are days in which I arrive late in the albergue, having only time no shower, eat and sleep. In other days, I meet other pilgrims, and I lose track of time chatting. Offcourse, one can always take a picture and to the wattercolour back home, but this is not my thing; urbansketching philosophy is to sketch live. It is wya more satisfactory. I also cary some lose papper sheets, so I give some sketches to hospitaleros ou to friends I make in the Camino. Anyway, every new Camino I start with a renewed intention of be a commited sketcher, filling daily my sketchbook with drawings und poetry. For sketchs (not exclusive from Caminos) @isabellemarne.sketcher and for illustrated poetry @auroradalma , Instagram. It is good to now that are others walking and sketching.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@AuroraPeregrina, I just viewed some of your sketches on your open Instagram account. You have an interesting variety of styles in your sketches and watercolors; some are beautiful, some quirky and all are unique. You are a very talented gal!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.