• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

As an albergue staying pilgrim do you ever get to see the Milky Way?

Helen1

Time of past OR future Camino
London to Santiago (2014)
Narbonne to Oloron (2015)
Camino Portugues (2016)
Sentier Cathar (2017)
One of my most memorable late May/June Camino experiences was gazing at the Milky Way at night. This was possible because (as a cycling) pilgrim I took a bivvy bag and wild camped for a few nights. Chatting to other walking pilgrims who were staying only in albergues I realised that they would never be able to see the stars because the doors closed at 10pm before it got properly dark and at 6am it would be too light.

I cycled London to Leon but ran out of time to get to Santiago due to bad weather/thunderstorms, picking up an eye infection and general dawdling in France. I am contemplating going back to walk the end of the Camino in August, plan on staying in albergues and I am wondering if I will get to see the stars again!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a walker, you can still camp out if you want to, and if you don't want to camp out, you can stay in private accommodations some times if you want to stay out later or be out earlier to see the stars.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You can see the milky way from any dark place on earth. You don't need to be on the camino to do so. More stars as you can count.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
True, you don't have to be on the Camino to see the Milky Way, but not everyone is fortunate enough to be away from bright city lights for long periods of time, and to catch it when the weather is good. Seems to me that the Camino is an ideal place to try to see the Milky Way if one is from a city - lots of small villages, no bright lights over an extended period of time when there is a good chance of getting good weather at the right time. I had hoped to catch a full moon while I was on the meseta, but couldn't because the weather was awful. I wish I had tried to see the Milky Way during my 40 days on the Camino - it's been years since I've seen so many stars. I think it's a great idea to plan ahead. :):)

Chatting to other walking pilgrims who were staying only in albergues I realised that they would never be able to see the stars because the doors closed at 10pm before it got properly dark and at 6am it would be too light.
Albergues are not dungeons. They have yards, balconies, windows, and roofs. I have seen a lot of stars from albergues.:)

True, you don't have to be on the Camino to see the Milky Way, but not everyone is fortunate enough to be away from bright city lights for long periods of time, and to catch it when the weather is good. Seems to me that the Camino is an ideal place to try to see the Milky Way if one is from a city - lots of small villages, no bright lights over an extended period of time when there is a good chance of getting good weather at the right time. I had hoped to catch a full moon while I was on the meseta, but couldn't because the weather was awful. I wish I had tried to see the Milky Way during my 40 days on the Camino - it's been years since I've seen so many stars. I think it's a great idea to plan ahead. :):)
I agree. As a city dweller I had no idea what I was missing until I went to a tiny seaside village in Mexico where friends had built a home, designed by an architect who advised them to let him build a "living area" on the roof, where we would go late at night, lie on chaise lounges, drink margaritas, and watch the stars. I've never experienced nights with such darkness. In spite of nearby ruins, great days in the ocean, wonderful food, this was surely one of the highlights of this area. Wonderful house with a wonderful roof.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked in sept 2013. Got up before the sun rose and walked in starlight and moonlight in the early morning. Fantastic. Walking the meseta in the starlight of the new moon was awesome. All my favourite constellations (I live in rural Ireland so see the stars regularly)
But they were in a different place in the sky- great fun finding them.
And the Milky Way was intense.
Climbing crux de fero from Rabanal with the sun rising behind us
Looking back on castoreiz as dawn broke
These are special memories and photos do not do them justice.
Antoinette

See it almost every night at home. Can you see colors in the Milky Way there like you can in the Andes in Bolivia?

€46,-
I also remember standing in the "field" of the Refugio Guacelmo in Rabanal and look up in awe at the Milky Way. Anne

I was usually to sleepy to wait until it was dark. But I remember one night in Puente de la Reina, Santiago Apostol Albergue when I had a huge window behind my head on the top bunk and I couldn't sleep because it was so gorgeous to see the stars.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
.............one night when I had a huge window behind my head on the top bunk and I couldn't sleep because it was so gorgeous to see the stars.
Stars and a window behind your head !? Pure bliss !!! I hope the window was wide open. :):):)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The albergue run by the Dutch Christians in Villamayor de Monjardin has a balcony adjacent to the upstairs dorm.
If it's a fine night you can carry the mattresses outside for a great night under the stars.
Regds
Gerard

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back