• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Assisted pilgrimage

Granniesruntoo

Time of past OR future Camino
StJPdP to Burgos (2014)
Burgos to Ponferrada( Sept 2015)
A lady with incurable cancer, a devout Catholic, would love to go to Santiago.
Obviously she is in no state to walk it so presumably it would not be a pilgrimage as such.
Does anyone know of a way she can enjoy some of the pilgrim experience on the way there?
Any ideas would be appreciated. She has been banned from flying.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
First of all, it would be a pilgrimage! Why not? Because she can't walk? As she is banned from flying to travel to the Camino in the first place would be a challenge depending where she lives. Does she also want to visit some places on the way or mainly visit Santiago? Which time of the year are we speaking? How mobile is she still? To help you further, we really need to know a bit more. There are so many ways such an assisted pilgrimage could be realised. Buen Camino, SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
First of all, it would be a pilgrimage! Why not? Because she can't walk? As she is banned from flying to travel to the Camino in the first place would be a challenge depending where she lives. Does she also want to visit some places on the way or mainly visit Santiago? Which time of the year are we speaking? How mobile is she still? To help you further, we really need to know a bit more. There are so many ways such an assisted pilgrimage could be realised. Buen Camino, SY
To be honest I am not sure what her time scale is, or how mobile she will be for how long. We may have left it too late. I don't know her personally but I do know she heard about our Camino and expressed the wish.
Having looked at a few options I think a boat to Santander would be possible, then maybe bus or train to Santiago over a few days with rests at towns on the way.
I see waystjames.com do an assisted pilgrimage but this would probably be too arduous for her.
I think I will pass those ideas on to find out what the family think can be done then get back to the thread. Thank you for your ideas.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Granniesruntoo. I did a non"Pilgrimage" from St Jean to Santiago in 2012. I cannot walk far but felt that I would like to do this.
I flew in to Biarritz. Picked up by Caroline of Express Bourricot (Highly recommended) to St Jean Pied de Port and then later to Pamplona.
Then by train to Burgos and finally to Santiago.
I know that this would not suit your lady, but if she could get to Santander, there would be a selection of car hire firms with driver and also the small gauge railway runs from that area all the way to Ferrol.
It would be hard but it is possible if the desire is there,

I would suggest that you also contact the Pilgrims' Office as they will know how to help your 'would be' pilgrim if/when she reaches Santiago. There is provision I believe for the disabled and they would be able to advise her on that.
If travelling from the UK then check out Brittany Ferries (Portsmouth or Plymouth to Santander), they have disabled facilities in a few cabins. Then maybe short stages by bus to a starting point, here (IMO) CSJ and the Pilgrims' Office can give best advice.
I hope she is able to make her pilgrimage, however she makes the journey.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Would an option be to use a wheelchair bicycle? Have someone ride the bicycle with her in the front in a wheelchair-like seat? Or for someone to push her in a wheelchair?

I'm not sure her condition but if I were the waller or cyclist helping her id have her name put on the certificate so am sure others would feel the same way.

When I did my first Camino in 2013, there were two ladies that I kept seeing. They were older than I but could not walk far. They told me that they were doing their Camino by bus, and taxi. They would be taxi sharing whenever possible. They stayed at the albergue at night with the rest of us pilgrims. I am sure using a taxi was not cheap unless shared.
In some of the towns along the Camino Frances the bus runs only once a week so I've heard. All this I would imagine require a lot of pre planning.

While taking this path this is not the norm it is a different Camino. In my opinion It is a Camino no more and no less than my own. I sincerely hope you find a way that can accommodate your needs.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
She is in no state to walk it so presumably it would not be a pilgrimage as such

SYates helpful suggestions are worth taking up.

There seems to be an presumption your friend is UK based. If flying (in particular) is not possible why not consider a home based pilgrimage. Two UK pilgrimages come to mind. Canterbury (heard of Chaucer?) including the Martyrdom: a long established pilgrimage. Our Lady of Walsingham: revived in recent years.

The means: First, consult those at the chosen destination and follow their advice, if any, for a pilgrimage to their site. Arrange a relay of friends to drive as much each day as is suitable. Visit churches on the way to say all or part of the daily offices, or just to pray. Stay in B&B or whatever. Take photos. Start and keep a blog. Consider adding a fundraiser for a relevant cause. As Bing Crosby sang one or two years ago "Accentuate the positive ..."

And I hope you find the 10 days or so to get from Ponferrada to SdC in the midst of all this.

Kia kaha (be strong)

Hi,

I think all the advice already given is brilliant. Yes, it would be a pilgrimage as Syates says, why not? A pilgrim is a person in motion, traveling landscapes sometimes unknown to them both externally and internally. I know there are rules regarding qualification for a Compostella by walking or riding, but this could be investigated.

But as a personal pilgrimage, the style should be set by her own needs and limitations. I like the idea of travelling by car and making pilgrimage to sites along the way. You could take a wheelchair which she could use as support to walk for awhile and when she tired she could be helped along. There are so many wonderful stretches of the Camino where it could be a lovely experience. AlwynWellington offers great advice above. Preplan with support. I am sure there will be many offers of help from other pilgrims.

Already people don't walk the entire distance and some do it by bike or horse....remember our footsteps may write our intent and prayer into the Caminos earth, but it is our heart that He will read.

I have attached a link below, not because i expect you to emulate this, but towards the end there is a wonderful example of community spirit that the Camino fosters and which I am sure would avail itself to you. The second clip is from the Six Ways to Santiago documentary and shows just how some adapt. Again i am not suggesting horse and carriage...just trying to encourage you with stories of others who make their camino..

Just do it! Grab a friend, hire a car and go walk when she can, ride when she can't. Buen Camino

To be honest I am not sure what her time scale is, or how mobile she will be for how long. We may have left it too late. I don't know her personally but I do know she heard about our Camino and expressed the wish.
Having looked at a few options I think a boat to Santander would be possible, then maybe bus or train to Santiago over a few days with rests at towns on the way.
I see waystjames.com do an assisted pilgrimage but this would probably be too arduous for her.
I think I will pass those ideas on to find out what the family think can be done then get back to the thread. Thank you for your ideas.
Hope that you find a way to go both on this pilgrimage.
When you both go on this pilgrimage I wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
Walking the Camino Frances, since the 16th there has been a lot of mud on the trail but doable until today on the way to Pamplona! It got very difficult with the mud on the pass high up beside...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.