• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Assuming it was 'weight-free' what luxury would you take?

Br. David

I know we strip our kits down to the minimum, buy lightweight wherever possible and so on .. but .. I was wondering - if the weight didn't matter (perhaps there is a servant to carry it) what luxury item would you like to have with you on the Camino?

For me, I think it would be a Wok. (Or perhaps a small solar-powered fridge packed with vanilla ice-cream) :oops:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A third pair of shoes - besides the boots, the crocs and ??? - I would love to take a pair of better looking footwear (in my case sandals)! Anne

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Something other than my Brierley guide to read. As a retired librarian, I read every day and found it difficult not to have a book in my hand in the evenings. I stopped at the Brazilian hostel and they had a library with a camino book written by a Canadian and I read and read and read all afternoon. On my completion of the camino I travelled to Madrid and my first stop was a bookstore to get an English language novel.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A bottle of J'Adore perfume by Christian Dior. (Which I actually am seriously considering really taking with me -- hooray for duty-free shops in the airports!.) Just because I will be on the trail for five weeks does not mean I have to smell like it, lol :wink:

I'll take the dryer, then (since we can take only ONE thing, or is a washer-dryer set counted as just one thing?).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
:::getting down on her hands and knees and begging SisterPearl:::

Please don't take perfume!
Those of us with allergies or chemical sensitivities will be driven out of the alburgues.
Just shower... you smell fine... please?

Here.. I have an idea..
Let ME carry it for you.

OOPS!
Oh my gosh.. I'm SO sorry!

I dropped it!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
johnnyman said:
How stinky can I expect to get in 30 days, anyway? Seriously ...

Well,
Known greetings between pilgrims:
"Hi there, nice smelling you again"
:roll:

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

The luxury good we always take is the freedom of having left all the burdens of our normal lives behind us. It's not heavy at all, actually quiet liberating not to have "stuff" to worry about.

Yes, you don't realise how heavy those chains are until you unshackle them.

Some pretty good ideas coming up here :lol: :wink:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A sunny disposition, but maybe that is not a luxury, just a coping skill for the physical stress of the walking, and the emotional stress of getting along with other pilgrims.

I heard a great line in a song last night, that's apropos: "I don't want what I haven't got."

Something to aspire to, anyhow.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Gailsie said:
Something other than my Brierley guide to read. As a retired librarian, I read every day and found it difficult not to have a book in my hand in the evenings. I stopped at the Brazilian hostel and they had a library with a camino book written by a Canadian and I read and read and read all afternoon. On my completion of the camino I travelled to Madrid and my first stop was a bookstore to get an English language novel.

Why not invest in an e reader (kindle for example). I am an avid reader and always take at least three books on holiday with me. I am also a "late adopter" when it comes to technology but I have to say my Kindle is THE best thing ever. I can load up to 4500 books on it and it is much lighter than one paper back novel. It also holds charge for almost a month at my daily read level. No more hard copy books for me! AND electronic books are half the price of the hard copy.

I'd love enough English language detective novels to last me the whole Camino. As I only walk 15 to 20kms per day, so get to albergues around lunchtime, I get really bored during the afternoons and would love reading material. I'm also old-fashioned and prefer real paper books!

On previous pilgrimages I've managed to find room for a Sudoku book, nail polish, small mascara, eye shadow, lipstick, and perfume. Don't worry AnnieSantiago, I only wear the perfume when staying in hotels and on rest days, but it's nice to know it's there!

Only one luxury item, eh?
Okay. I think I would bring a few of my favorite cigars in a travel humidor, a butane torch and a cigar cutter. The idea would be to have one cigar at each major stop along the way (Paris, SJPDP, Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Sarria, Santiago).

For the record, my favorite cigars are "Hemingway Untold Story" by Arturo Fuente, Dirt Torpedo by Drew Estate or Double Chateau by Arturo Fuente :D .

But this begs a question: is it okay to smoke a cigar at an albergue? I've heard of peregrinos having a cigarette or two, but would management frown upon a cigar smoker?

De Colores y Buen Camino,
8) Wandering "pass me my stogies" Christian :arrow:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
WanderingChristian said:
But this begs a question: is it okay to smoke a cigar at an albergue? I've heard of peregrinos having a cigarette or two, but would management frown upon a cigar smoker?
Don't know about management but I wouldn't mind betting the other pilgrims have something to say :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I guess that a negative response might also be in place. As to a luxury item: None, and rethinking your question once again – really hard – then none again.

I guess that my mind-set is very much focussed on 'minimum/low weight issues'. There are a few things which I will wish to replace by slightly more light-weight items for my next camino. My backpack weight came to about 6 kg when going on the camino in May 2011 (without food and water, and the occasional book I bought along the say).

This response is somewhat dull, but so be it.
annelise

I just had to Unpack my memory foam travel pillow as it weighed a full pound. :(
That's the second item I'd take along with my bathtub.

Br. David said:
- if the weight didn't matter (perhaps there is a servant to carry it) what luxury item would you like to have with you on the Camino? For me, I think it would be a Wok. (Or perhaps a small solar-powered fridge packed with vanilla ice-cream) :oops:
A Wok! Too many rainy or cloudy days for a solar fridge to keep your ice-cream palatable. :cry:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would have a person who could give me Chinese Foot Massages :D. Did my last training pre-camino on Sunday and my feet are aching :(

I would take my wife.

She absolutely, utterly and completely refuses to walk with me; she has short legs, bad knees and fibromylgia.

But I miss her and above all when I come home there is no one first hand to share the experience with.

The world is split into two groups. Those who have and those who haven't and there is a communication gap between the two.

mikevasey said:
I would have a person who could give me Chinese Foot Massages :D. Did my last training pre-camino on Sunday and my feet are aching :(

Mike I could have used your feet to carry your hands to the letter boxes to which I needed leaflets delivering for the council elections.

(just one more leaflet delivered and I'm sure it would have brought me the other 2,000 votes I needed to get elected :twisted: )

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Okay,
I know that I have responded at least twice already, but I thought of a luxury item that could also be classified as a necessity: a caffeine source. I like coffee most of the time, but sometimes it makes me jittery. Growing up, I developed a taste for tea. Irish Breakfast or Earl Grey are regular favorites of mine. So; my idea was to keep a canister of tea in my ruck along with tubes of sweetened condensed milk and an immersion coil heater. I was thinking that most of these items would fit into a large travel mug and a ziplock bag.
De Colores,
WanderingChristian

mikevasey said:

Totally agree!! In Molinaseca one of the other guys staying at our albergue gave my sore ankle a massage and oh my gosh it hurt but it felt so much better the next day!

hhmm .. was wondering ... how big a helium balloon would one need to cancel out the weight of the rucksack? :wink:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
David said:
hhmm .. was wondering ... how big a helium balloon would one need to cancel out the weight of the rucksack? :wink:

Given how heavy some of the rucksacks some folks carry, that'd have to be a WEATHER BALLOON :shock: :D .

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back