• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Attitude

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
I guess I'll be sort of crucified for this, but I really do feel kind of fed up with (mostly) new members questions which could be all very easily answered by quick click or two. I mean, there are some very basic questions that had been asked AND answered thousands of times (especially on Camino Frances, and maybe even more specif. about getting to and from SJPdP...), so I simply, with all my empathy, profesional as well, can not understand how can a person (A FUTURE PILGRIM!!!) be so self-centered to just sign in and ask, ask, ask. Well, I guess forum is not a place in the middle of the Meseta where you run out of water, c'mon...

Please, don't get me wrong, I'm quite eager to help (ask Laurie et all.), but I simply can't understand when someone just open new thread with the same "all-over-again" question instead of scroll through the forum first. I appologise to those that did it!!! But it happens every day and I feel a lot of sympathy for all the usuall suspects answering to those questions (like: falcon629, whariwarangi, mspath, peregrina2000.........).

Every day!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"Search over 17.000 questions asked and answered"
no crucifiction required i dare say, but interesting you are bringing this up - had a similar leaning thought a while ago - when i noticed again on the main site, at the bottom of page, a sentence stating something like: "check if your questions has been asked" - next to a free-type 'search' field. had meant to ask Ivar if he could add this field to each forum/sub forum page in a more prominent place and not just on one 'home page' at the bottom after scroll-down -
I think it's a testimony of the kindness of most people of this splendid forum that questions are being answered over and again and again. (and again and again....) I truly admire this benevolence - especially since my patience and tolerance is of the more limited edition.
I sometimes responded - when coming across such questions - with a link to the page where such questions has already been discussed. and leave it as that.
many others respond the same ... with a list of compiled links.
which of course is another act of 'pilgrim kindness'.
when i feel tempted to "sigh" at simple repeat questions - knowing how easy and swift it is to use the search function - i remind myself that i am not in the business of 'raising adults' - and keep on ....
i never detect ill intend yet, perhaps cluelessness. but no harm done otherwise. and often it is perhaps presumed/thought that ones issues/question is so unique that possibly no one else had had a similar question/concern .. and thus a new thread is being launched....with those very very familiar questions.
i don't understand it either ... but there you have it, nonetheless.:confused:
if it's irksome to you - which i do understand...perhaps a simple, straight pointer to the search function would suffice?
best wishes and cheers ... !

When I was planning my first camino I took a lot of enjoyment scrolling through the forum, reading and learning and researching. I don't think there was one question I had that I didn't find an answer for. So yes, it does cross my mind too when I see many of the same posts and I wonder why someone would seek out a forum like this but then not take advantage of all the years of information on offer and see if the question has been answered before posting the question. Though as I write this it just occurred to me that perhaps it's just a way of reaching out, making themselves known - looking for a connection in starting this first part of their journey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It does keep the forum fresh and accessible, though. It's good to have a mix of general and specific questions in the 'new posts'. Sure, once you get used to the forum you should search stuff out, but some people (like me many moons ago) are new to the whole 'forum thing'.

I like answering the 'where should I start' type questions, because I can. On the other hand, when someone asks about a statue in a church on the Camino Nocaminado, I don't have a clue, but I can at least learn something from others. Both sets of questions and answers have value to me.

Last edited:
Yes there are literally thousands of questions and posts. Perhaps it is more than what has been suggested. Perhaps it is about a connection in "real" time for members. Perhaps it is about communication with others, a reaching out, a seeking of reassurance. Perhaps for some it is their first time away from home in a strange country on a "mission" a searching, a pilgrimage that is daunting for them. Perhaps it is the conversation that is important. (What with so many questions and answers now, perhaps there is no need for a "forum". Perhaps it just needs a website with no communication.) That would be so sad!

But to me it is much, much more than this. It is a communication with others and a self believe that good people so willing share of themselves so that I and others can simply do that.
AND perhaps it is because some have difficulty with all of it.

What I really do like though is that members have taken the "talents" that they have been given and blessed with and simply not hidden them but have gone out of their way to develop those talents further and to share them over and over again. Now that's what I call a blessing and I am grateful for their generosity and for the spirit of their giving.

When I joined this forum first I was not familiar with its workings so I asked my questions which I'm sure had been asked many many times before and they were answered generously by several people. I have tried to do the same for others since even though you might see the same questions again and again, also as new members join and do their Camino they may have new information or a different view on things. This is what makes the forum great. If everyone just used the search facility it would be a very quiet forum. Keep asking your questions even if they have been asked before.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have just added a small notice to the top of each page with a link to a separate search page. On the top right of this message you can click the "x" if you do not want to see this message anymore.

I will leave it up for a few days for everyone to see, then I will most likely limit it to new users (users with less than 40 posts).... and then leave it up permanently for them.

Hopefully this will help!

Thanks for the feedback!
Ivar

When I go to a new website I often go to the Frequently Asked Questions section to get some basic information. I just went to the FAQ section of the forum to see which "frequent"questions are included in this very prominent spot. I wonder if the moderators might want to look a bit at this section to see if it really does fill its role as a FAQ section. I know that posters choose to place their question in this section but perhaps these threads merit a different approach than other forum sections. If I only looked at the FAQ section I would not know -- for example -- that getting to SJPP is a very common question.

If I do have a transportation question I will want the most current information without scrolling through the answers from 2008 so I think there will always be a need for an updated answer.

Hola

I think of this forum as a house with different rooms.
When someone new enters the people inside welcomes them and point them to the different rooms, such as kitchen, bathroom, etc.
Soon enough they will themselves do the same for others entering the house, which strengthen the bonds between everyone.

About questions, many times a new person, who know nothing about the Camino, does not know what questions are important.
I didn't when I first came here.
So to be reassured by the members that I wasn't forgetting something crucial made a lot of difference for me, so when I took of, I felt prepared.

That said, I do answer some entries with a direction to the search bar. It certainly is a great tool, once one discover it. (It took me a very long time to do..)

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What a great and supportive forum this is. I am sure many of us roll our eyes at the oft asked questions, but nevertheless they get answered enthusiastically. Direct questions are easy to answer, however the vague 'I am planning to walk the camino next year - can you give me any advice/tips' type of queries are rather more frustrating.o_O

How to make it easy for new pilgrims to find what they are looking for is one of the biggest challenges with a forum like this.

We (the mods) just had a conversation on the FAQ section yesterday. It is now not possible to post a new question in the FAQ section. For a question to end up there, a mod needs to move it in there. Hopefully this will make this section better.

Also, don't forget the tags. This was something new I added this summer. When starting a new thread, you can tag the thread with key words. Then later when you click a tag, you will get a list of all the post that has been tagged with that tag. have a look at the bottom of each page for some examples of tags.
Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 11.16.18 AM.png
Old threads can only be tagged by mods. New threads can be tagged by the person that starts the thread.

Little by little things are getting better... but I am always open for new ideas on how to organize things.

Greetings from a sunny but cold Santiago,
Ivar

Firstly, I remember how nice it was to have someone who had walked the Camino answer my questions about this new and strange thing I was about to embark upon.
I laugh now, but I was quite daunted at the prospect of that first stage, the steep climb followed by the steep decent, until those with experience were kind enough to answer questions that had probably been answered many times before. It seemed important to me that a knowledgeable person took the time to answer the questions I had way back then.
So... I think it is good to answer directly when people ask a question.
However, I think some of those "basic" questions can be answered by "newer" members. I don't think it's a problem if those who've been around for a while still enjoy answering the "basics", but I think it would be better to wait until an "enthusiastic" new member had the opportunity to answer the post, before those getting tired of the same old questions start telling people to do a search. Maybe, do that or send links after a couple of days if no one answers, but I think someone will, as there are no shortage of newer members here.
Regarding why people don't do a search ? Well, we're all different, some might like the interaction, some might think things have changed since the earlier answers, some might be very apprehensive and need encouragement, some might just be "bone lazy". Who knows? It doesn't matter. They're new and have a question.
Buen Camino :)
Colin

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like others, when new to the forum, we asked questions which were probably not new. We appreciated the help and answers and also being pointed to the right sections of the forum. As long term members we now answer new comers questions and often put a link to answers we know already exist. Familiarity with the threads has to be learnt, and often by asking 'old questions'. It is good to be able to welcome new members with help, but in answering sometimes we need to remember that our own experience of x years ago may now be out of date :)

The sheer volume of information on the forum can be intimidating. I frequently remember a particular thread I've read but find myself unable to find it. Using the search function can result in many possible answers. There are some obvious places to look but we are not all skilled researchers. I can understand new members taking some shortcuts.

I like your new approach to the FAQ @ivar - and the tags. But I can't find the "Shirley MacLaine" tag....:D

On that topic, I'm curious how far back the database goes. I seem to remember when I first joined the forum there was at least one member who posted personal recollections of Shirley on Camino, but when I searched the other day I could not find them.

When I go to a new website I often go to the Frequently Asked Questions section to get some basic information. I just went to the FAQ section of the forum to see which "frequent"questions are included in this very prominent spot. I wonder if the moderators might want to look a bit at this section to see if it really does fill its role as a FAQ section. I know that posters choose to place their question in this section but perhaps these threads merit a different approach than other forum sections. If I only looked at the FAQ section I would not know -- for example -- that getting to SJPP is a very common question.

If I do have a transportation question I will want the most current information without scrolling through the answers from 2008 so I think there will always be a need for an updated answer.

How to make it easy for new pilgrims to find what they are looking for is one of the biggest challenges with a forum like this.

We (the mods) just had a conversation on the FAQ section yesterday. It is now not possible to post a new question in the FAQ section. For a question to end up there, a mod needs to move it in there. Hopefully this will make this section better.

Also, don't forget the tags. This was something new I added this summer. When starting a new thread, you can tag the thread with key words. Then later when you click a tag, you will get a list of all the post that has been tagged with that tag. have a look at the bottom of each page for some examples of tags.
View attachment 15060
Old threads can only be tagged by mods. New threads can be tagged by the person that starts the thread.

Little by little things are getting better... but I am always open for new ideas on how to organize things.

Greetings from a sunny but cold Santiago,
Ivar

Ivar is spot-on, as usual, but I would like to offer a couple of related ideas. The "tags" feature is very good, but is going to be used more by younger, tag-comfortable folks. Personally, I prefer ordered lists of links. Also, the tags at the bottom of the screen use a lot of screen real estate. If you are using a tablet or smart phone this is an issue.

As a general matter, perhaps Ivar could consider minimizing what we see on every screen, opting to provide more requested content with text links, as opposed to lots of very interesting boxes with collateral content. The collateral content is available only on request.

On a desktop or notebook the current approach is fine, but on anything smaller, screen real estate is precious. Some weeks / months ago, Ivar was considering stopping the mobile application in favor of maintaining only one platform. Maybe I am preaching to the already converted. But relegating "Most Viewed Threads" and "Tags" to links instead of using screen real estate would present more posts (content) per screen.

All the other stuff is readily available by using a pull down / pop up menu or simple button links. More and more mobile applications are coming with a button in the upper right or left had corner with a button that appears to have multiple horizontal lines arrayed in a column. This seems to be a universal symbol / logo for a menu. When you click or press on it, a menu slides in from the left presenting you will multiple options to choose from. It's a thought?

While this is being considered, is it possible to have both an "FAQ" and "Subject Index" button featured prominently at the top of every page as part of the menus? Or perhaps on the menu button I just mentioned?

Perhaps a button that says "FAQ & Index" might fit on the same menu line as "Camino Resources..." For example, you can gain a few characters by rewording "Services in Santiago by Ivar" to Ivar's Santiago Services." The buttons for "Camino Photos" and "Camino Resources" might be shortened to just "Photos" and "Resources," as everyone knows the site is purely about all things related to the Camino de Santiago. Taken together, these savings provide enough space for a new "FAQ & Index" button. Or, if space allows, separate buttons for "Index" and "FAQ"

Most people will interact better if they click or tap on the new button and can choose to see FAQs or an alphabetical index. Of course, the index is merely an alphabetical listing of the various tags. But for "folks of a certain age" like me, it is faster to use.

Just a few thoughts. I hope it helps. They say a little knowledge is dangerous...I am sometimes lethal...

Feliz Navidad y un Feliz Año Nuevo a todos! It IS coming sooner than you think...be good...very good...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Consider that for many of those new forum members posting seemingly obvious, repeat questions, their Camino may be the most important travel, indeed life decision they will ever make. As such, every bit of information is sought. Maybe the same question answered a year ago on the forum doesn't contain the latest information. Maybe they simply need the peace of mind by asking it directly in their own way. Maybe by asking the initial question it will allow them to ask related followup questions in that thread that they couldn't find sufficient answers to. Does it matter?

I would also guess that the number of forum readers (members and non-members) who silently read and gather information without ever posting a single question vastly outnumber those who do post questions.

Please, don't get me wrong, I'm quite eager to help (ask Laurie et all.), but I simply can't understand when someone just open new thread with the same "all-over-again" question instead of scroll through the forum first. I appologise to those that did it!!! But it happens every day and I feel a lot of sympathy for all the usuall suspects answering to those questions (like: falcon629, whariwarangi, mspath, peregrina2000.........).

Every day!

But surely the bottom line is that no one has to answer a question if they don't feel like it!

Yes! I was going to reply to the Bayonne to SJPP query but first read some of the other replies. I realized that the info I was about to offer was out of date and would not have been helpful. Isn't this what the forum is for? Dispensing accurate and helpful information? I don't feel pilgrims, new or experienced, should be discouraged from asking questions.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I can understand where @KinkyOne is coming from, the longer you hang around this forum, you see the same questions being put forward on a regular basis, but I believe this allows newer members who have just walked to have a input and more up to date say in the answers and for them to get their feet under the table. It can be refreshing sometimes when you see a question asked by a newer member with the pure enthusiasm they bring to the site.

When I was new I imagine I asked questions that had been asked before as well. But the fondest memories I have of my time on the forum are not just the threads I was part of, but also the 'private conversations' I was able to have behind the scenes. I was planning to walk the Le Puy route, a route less traveled, and several people who had walked the route responded to me privately. They were very supportive, not only before I left, but also while I was walking. I was also able to telephone a forum member in Australia and had a long, reassuring conversation with her.

Every so often while I was on the Chemin/Camino I would get a message of encouragement from one or other of these supporters- and when my body felt tired and my feet hurt, that was always so appreciated. As several other posters have said in this thread, there is something important about that personal contact.
Margaret

Readng the post about mobile app and PC version:- I access the forum as a web page on my new phone and have no problem with space etc. Never having had the app I don't know how different it might be, but the web version seems to work fine.
Finding FAQ is a different issue. When I am not logged in there is a very visible heart with '50 most loved questions' at the top of the page. As soon as I log in this disappears completely. Maybe Ivar can make it stick to the top of the page for those logged in as well, and that could include donors. Then we could all see, and if needed point folk to, the answers already posted - and update them if needed. :)
Sorry, making you more work Ivar...:eek::)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't have anything substantial to add, but just want to say that only reading this thread gives me already a big smile. It shows the care everyone has for eacht other, for this forum, for the camino and for new and expierenced pilgrims.
Thanks to all and especially to Ivar! Hope me and all of us can still enjoy it for many more years!

An important part of the forum for me is the sense of community that it provides. That happens because people throw out ideas and questions, many that have been expressed before, and others react to it. We're all putting out our ideas and feelings and others, who care to, are responding. That is an enjoyable and rewarding process for me. Yes, the forum provides valuable information, some of it highly redundant, but I think the value of the forum is much larger than that. I would not want somebody to hesitate to express an idea of question because they think maybe it has already been asked. That would stifle the interaction on this forum that is so valuable to me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm not sure I understand the issue. If a newcomer asks a question that has already been answered one, two ,three or four times all of a sudden the previous answers become more relevant that may be contributed by newer members. If you've already answered those questions once before why bother answering the second time or third time or fourth time? There may be others that have better answers.

I love this forum and the really appreciate the advice people give (over and over again) without complaining even though I can see it’s frustrating to see the same questions being asked.

A word of caution: I used to be part of lively (and completely unrelated) forum that slowly died and is no more. The forum started to die when older forum members simply started to post links to older threads rather than replying. The forum became less friendly and over time fewer people joined - there was nowhere for new members to post because it felt like all questions had been answered before. Would hate to see that happen to a forum again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I love this forum and the really appreciate the advice people give (over and over again) without complaining even though I can see it’s frustrating to see the same questions being asked.

A word of caution: I used to be part of lively (and completely unrelated) forum that slowly died and is no more. The forum started to die when older forum members simply started to post links to older threads rather than replying. The forum became less friendly and over time fewer people joined - there was nowhere for new members to post because it felt like all questions had been answered before. Would hate to see that happen to a forum again.
Well stated, I agree completely.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I can understand that even with the best of intentions, newcomers might feel the need to ask a question that has already been answered. I did a search on the two words pack and weight to find that there were 16700 hits. Doing a tighter search on the phrase 'pack weight' found 13100 hits. That is clearly an overwhelming number to sort through.

Nonetheless, I sometimes ponder whether there is an element of shopping for a specific answer, perhaps to confirm a decision already made or a position already established. I think I have become more sanguine over my time in the forum, and accept that for many things, there is never going to be a simple, single answer that suits everyone. Provided we can provide reasonable comfort that what is being planned sits within a reasonable range of the options, there are still likely to be a diversity of answers to befuddle and confuse the uninitiated.

BTW. haven't we had this conversation before? I tried to check, but my search skills weren't up to the mark!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nah, not a big deal to ask the same questions over and over again. I wouldn't want any prospective peregrinos to be hesitant to ask any questions for fear they will be chastised. Ask away. Plenty of people on here who are more than happy to answer them. Don't worry about the ones that for some strange reason are bothered by it (it's a public forum for goodness sake). They'll get over it.
I think assisting future peregrinos is one of the reasons this forum exists. Besides, it's kinda cool to read their enthusiasm on the prospect of doing their first Camino.

Aah yes. Even asking questions that have never been asked before can be fraught with danger and frustration amongst the veteran members.
Now where did you guys say I could get a Cafe con leche to go from again?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Aah yes. Even asking questions that have never been asked before can be fraught with danger and frustration amongst the veteran members.
Now where did you guys say I could get a Cafe con leche to go from again?
Sorry, @hunsta, I don't drink coffee, but if you will post question in the thread about beer maybe I might be able to help you with some hints...

Last edited:
Sorry, @hunsta, I don't drink coffee, but if you will post question in the thread about beer maybe I might be able to help you with some hints...
Oh I had plenty of comments and suggestions in that thread. Oh my. Didn't I ? LOL

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I do not see the problem here.

I am quite certain that many newbies are searching and reading up a lot, in quiet, as we advice them to, but I must confess: I have myself tried a few searches, and I sometimes find it difficult to do the right search/filter out what I need to find. So I can completely understand the new ones, eagerly wanting and seeking answers, and therefore posting questions that have been posted and answered before.

And some people just go for it, and shoot their questions without digging in (Impatient/curious/overwhelmed? Remember: They do not know what we know). People are different. Accept them.

But there is also another angle:

Answers that were correct in the past, may not be correct anymore today. Things change on the Camino: Albergues and cafes/restaurants etc. come and go, prices change, new treats are discovered, etc. So, many times, new information is important.

Also, it is always a joy to see people who were once real newbies in here, coming back as experienced peregrinos/as, and helping the new newbies, with their enthusiasm after having completed the journey we old folks hopefully helped them with. So we old folks can lay back and just enjoy generation after generation coming in here and being helped by the older generation (a generation is one Camino year in here).

Peace.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Sometimes searching does not yield results even if the information is on the forum. My example is the connecting route between the Arles route and Lourdes(GR 101). I could not locate any pointers to it on relevant topics( Arles, Piedmont). After walking it, I put the monasterys name I stayed at into Google search and up came a post for the route on this forum( Jrit posted it), it had not occurred to me to look on the Le Puy route topics, it had been posted there as part of a series of connecting routes to Lourdes. I can imagine for a newbie all the new and unusual information can be overwhelming and at first they do need guidance in information specific to them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I should also mention, as others have pointed out: It is very important that this forum continues to be a forum, and not just an archive. For that, we need new posts and active participation and conversations. I see both sides of this; the OP's view, but also being warm-hearted and welcoming the newbies in an including manner.

I have also noticed, in one of Ivar's latest posts, that he is constantly working on forum improvements, including easier access to earlier material. But we must also understand that he is somewhat tied up, by using standard (open source) forum software. He can only do as much as the software allows him to do.

But it will be what it will be, and in the end, all will be good, I am sure. The lot in here are good, well-meaning, and helpful souls.:) Above average, I would say.;)

Last edited:
I love answering questions on this forum. Don't care how many times people ask. As a member of one of society's most marginalised and invisible groups (old women) it gives me status :mad:. Plus it is the only time anyone takes any notice of what I say....

€46,-
All any of us can do is answer a question based on our own experience, there will be plenty people who will update that information if necessary and plenty differing opinions, that is what a forum is about, discussion and sharing, otherwise why bother being part of a forum.

All any of us can do is answer a question based on our own experience, there will be plenty people who will update that information if necessary and plenty differing opinions, that is what a forum is about, discussion and sharing, otherwise why bother being part of a forum.
In general, @wayfarer, I agree that we base most of our responses on our experience. But I wouldn't downplay the willingness some posters have to carefully research their responses as well as rely on personal experience.

In contrast, I am always amused by the posters who expect others to be fortune tellers. Asking what the weather will be like in six or twelve months time on the day they plan to leave SJPP must be my favourite example of boundless optimism about the ability of us mere mortals to predict the future.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Goodness @dougfitz where did that knowledge come from? You have just put Strawberry on my list of places to see.

LOL Doug. I'm sure that Kanga as well as you know by now when I have my tongue in my cheek. :) I still wish Ivan could give us an emotion for this though.:( BTW Kanga we do notice what you say. Then again when I was married my wife always noticed what I said but selectively ignored it anyway.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Every time I post a question to the forum, I spend a fair amount of time going back in forth in my mind,
"is this a stupid question?" and "this has probably been asked a thousand times".
I do search old posts as much as I can, but sometimes it's nice to ask the questions exactly how I want, rather than find old posts that are "sort of, kind of, maybe" what I'm looking for.
Also, maybe it's just me, but I really enjoy asking questions and hearing back from people in real time, I like interacting with people who are speaking to me directly, its nice to have an actual interaction even if it is on line through text.
When I am sifting through dozens and dozens of old posts, I sometimes feel like I am doing a school research paper. When I ask a question directly, it just feels like I'm chatting with people of similar interests, I even start to remember people's screen names and their mannerisms and such after seeing their posts.
All that being said, I can definitely see your point. Sometimes I see post's such as "I am walking in 2016, first time, any advice?" and I cringe a little bit and think to myself "well at least my questions are like THAT".

Thanks to everyone for all your advice and assistance!

Matt

Hello all,

I am of a mind that we all have something to offer each other by way of advice, experience and suggestions.

If I may offer this observation.

A quick trawl through the current posts on this forum, and the replies offered by the lovely people we share it with surely tells us the true value of this unique site.

Please, let us not do nor say anything that endangers the spirit of our forum and with it the spirit of our Camino.

Let us accept that pilgrims who are in the same position we all once were will always ask the same questions we once did, will always have the same concerns, anxieties and fears we once did and will always have the same needs we once did, and do what we can to help them.

I feel privileged to share this forum with you all and feel blessed to have such a wonderful set of people to seek advice and guidance from. I would be so happy if we could all help others to feel the same way I do.

Buen (question answering) Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Goodness @dougfitz where did that knowledge come from? You have just put Strawberry on my list of places to see.
Bit off-topic, but it is where some of my forebears settled when they arrived in Western Australia. How a place so little suited to growing the fruit could be named after it is beyond me.

I guess I'll be sort of crucified for this, but I really do feel kind of fed up with (mostly) new members questions which could be all very easily answered by quick click or two. I mean, there are some very basic questions that had been asked AND answered thousands of times (especially on Camino Frances, and maybe even more specif. about getting to and from SJPdP...), so I simply, with all my empathy, profesional as well, can not understand how can a person (A FUTURE PILGRIM!!!) be so self-centered to just sign in and ask, ask, ask. Well, I guess forum is not a place in the middle of the Meseta where you run out of water, c'mon...

Every day!
=
Please be aware that there are some people that English is not their 1st language, and can't "swim" in the whole forum for ease .(like my self, my language is Hebrew, can yourself swim in an Hebrew forum looking for answers, or you prefer direct question and direct answer? ) I myself asked some questions and was answered willingly by members. No one told me to look around. They were nice people. Zohar

One of the beauties of this platform is that you don't have to click on threads if you are not in the mood! On days when I am shorter on patience, I often wonder why people haven't searched the forum. On other days, I understand that jumping into a new adventure and an online community is intimidating on the one hand and, on the other hand, exciting -- particularly if you are passionate about the topic. I am far from an experienced member of the forum. And I must confess that I lurked on the forum and only posted my introduction and one question prior to walking the Frances.

Sometimes I click on the posts that look repetitive. Sometimes, if I feel I have some insight, I contribute. Other days, I find that I just don't have the time or patience ....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
=
Please be aware that there are some people that English is not their 1st language, and can't "swim" in the whole forum for ease .(like my self, my language is Hebrew, can yourself swim in an Hebrew forum looking for answers, or you prefer direct question and direct answer? ) I myself asked some questions and was answered willingly by members. No one told me to look around. They were nice people. Zohar
Please, do read the OP again. It wasn't about having troubles understanding informations on this forum. It was about continuous posts like: "What will the weather be like on Camino XY in August 20XY?", "Are there donativo albergues on Camino Frances?" or "How I get from Bayonne to SJPdP?". Those are things that could be really very easily found in previous posts, regardless of 1st language. Or couldn't be really answered adequatly. Of course it's entirely up to me (or anybody else for that matter) if I take my time and experience to give the answer. And I did it many times. But..., well..., enough of explaining my OP if it wasn't clear. Anyway, I did stir things up a little bit though ;)
And @grandpa.zohar do take a peek under my avatar regarding 1st language...

Have a nice evening :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Every day!

Speaking for myself, I have used the search button many times and certainly tried not to ask too many questions during my short time here. I am confused though as to why you'd think "a future pilgrim" should not have the temerity to ask a question? Surely "future pilgrims" should be encouraged to seek information by whatever method makes them more comfortable? I also think calling them "self-centered" is a little bit harsh, but that's just my two cents.

Thankfully there have been so many intelligent and thoughtful replies to your post, otherwise it might put "future pilgrims" off joining the forum altogether - particularly those with low confidence.

This forum work in cycles, as I have said before: New ones are steadily coming in, and fresh pilgrims enter into "help mode" as they have just returned from the Camino, with all their new and great knowledge. And then you have the veterans (yep I'm one now, but I was once a newbie) who may think that "This was a stupid question; it has been answered hundreds of times before".

But there are no stupid questions (well, sometimes....) ;)

Let go. It is like having children; They come, and have to learn, and blessed they shall be. And then, when ready, off they are, and then they return to help the new "children". We oldtimers should just lean back and enjoy the fact that new and eager peregrino-wannabies enter into our space, like we did, once upon a time, wondering, and having heaps of questions, that the new veterans are more than happy to answer, with their newfound experience. And WHAT an experience, don't you agree? ;)

New blood. Keeping the forum alive and kicking.

Buen Camino!

Edit: I should elaborate: No matter your age; when you have found the Camino and you have gotten the bug, you are the Camino "child". You want to know as much as you can. And the Camino is definitely far out of many people's comfort zone; they haven't yet learned how easy it can be to let it go and be in the now: We have been restrained in cultural boundaries and security.

And as I also said earlier: We all want to be part of a forum, not a silent archive...?

Now, veterans: Do I make sense, or...?

Last edited:

€149,-
I certainly don't mind reading the same questions over and over again, after all it just gives me a chance to ramble on about my favorite topics over and over again. :) I always enjoy getting on my soap box about carrying hiking poles onboard a plane from the US, and I guess a close second is my rant that people ought to consider a multi-city ticket rather than flying into Paris, buying an Easy Jet ticket to somewhere else, etc etc etc. Oh yes, did I forget the rant about asking people to contribute to updates to the little guides I've worked on?

I certainly don't mind reading the same questions over and over again, after all it just gives me a chance to ramble on about my favorite topics over and over again. :) I always enjoy getting on my soap box about carrying hiking poles onboard a plane from the US, and I guess a close second is my rant that people ought to consider a multi-city ticket rather than flying into Paris, buying an Easy Jet ticket to somewhere else, etc etc etc. Oh yes, did I forget the rant about asking people to contribute to updates to the little guides I've worked on?
Maybe I should have searched for the word "rant" before asking ;0), but I'd love to hear your rant on multi-city ticket purchases.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I joined this forum first I was not familiar with its workings so I asked my questions which I'm sure had been asked many many times before and they were answered generously by several people. I have tried to do the same for others since even though you might see the same questions again and again, also as new members join and do their Camino they may have new information or a different view on things. This is what makes the forum great. If everyone just used the search facility it would be a very quiet forum. Keep asking your questions even if they have been asked before.

The answer above says it all. Two other points:
  • You don't have to read a question and response(s) that have been posted before.
  • Some of the earlier posted information may have changed and/or now be incorrect.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.