• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Azinhaga to Golega

frida1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 11-May 11 2014
Today, several pilgrims, including me, were separately led astray at Pombalinho on the way to Golega. The easiest to follow arrows led back to Azinhaga, in a loop nearer the river, adding several k to the path to Golega. Be careful if you want the direct way. I was with others and not really looking out. Turned a 30 k day into 37.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Today, several pilgrims, including me, were separately led astray at Pombalinho on the way to Golega. The easiest to follow arrows led back to Azinhaga, in a loop nearer the river, adding several k to the path to Golega. Be careful if you want the direct way. I was with others and not really looking out. Turned a 30 k day into 37.

Eish! Good of you to report back for others. Hope you’ve found a nice place to stay and recover.

A couple of years ago I shortened that day (Santarém to Golega) by taking the train from Santarém to Vale de Figueria, and so shortening it to a 20km day. I struggled a bit to get back on the caminho at Vale de Figueira, but after asking several locals, and they asking others, one old man finally knew which way to go.

Jill

Oh, by the way, do not miss seeing inside the church at Golega, and it’s Manueline door. It is beautiful. Jill

DSCN0389GolegaChurchInterior.jpg

DSCN0388GolegaChurchDoor.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Some years ago (2013) there was an argument between two councils , one from GĂ´lega and ...? And the result was that the waymarkers did not lead into Azinhaga but direction Pombalinho and far outside of Azinhaga direction GĂ´lega as we walked this stage.
This year May we stayed at the campingsite in Gôlega and on our way to Santarèm (by car) through the Azinhaga center we saw several peregrinos so maybe they changed the waymarkers again into Azinhaga.

This has been a longstanding problem, as Albertinho notes. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/new-signage.20138/#post-152399

Glad you made it alright. If you can give me some specific information on where things go wrong and what the markings do and do not do, it'd be great, because I'll make sure the info goes into the new version of the forum guide from Lisbon to Porto.

Hope you are enjoying the Caminho, and it's nice to see there are others on the way with you as well. The Lisbon-Porto route is no longer so solitary!

I'm sorry I can't really give specifics because I was not looking real closely. However, every pilgrim I've met says the way marks lead absolutely from Pombalinho in the big loop back to Azinhaga, so maybe it's as said here, the route has been changed and not yet reflected in Brierleys book.

And yes, there are definitely a scattering of pilgrims starting in Lisbon now.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back