• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

B12 Shot on the way

Leingang27

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to Walk the Camino Frances in Fall 2013
We plan to take six weeks to walk the camino in the fall. I take B12 shots every three weeks for my anemia. I can take one right before I go, and it would be my preference to have another one while I am in Spain. Will I be able to get one from a pharmacist in Spain or will I need to go to a clinic? Do I need to carry a prescription?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I guess my question is too specific for an answer. I suspect that B12 is available at a pharmacy from elsewhere on the Internet. I have not had experience self-administering shots. Do pharmacists have staff that do that sort of thing in Spain?

Hi, Jane. I'm not really sure about this, either, and I also have this to deal with. Two things: a farmacia in Europe is not much like a pharmacy in the US--they treat a lot of things we have to go to an MD for, so probably they could give you a shot. (However, the protocol is a lot different in some countries in Europe these days, and some places are going more to the high-dose oral treatment, so you might not necessarily find a farmacia with B12 in stock. Incidentally, they don't use cyanocobalamin but a different formulation, not sure what it's called.)

However, I also have pernicious anemia, and if that's what you've got, I'd urge you to learn to give yourself the shots. It will make the rest of your life a lot simpler, and a syringe and a single dose ampule of cobalamin don't add much weight at all to your pack. Just ask the nurse the next time you go. In my case, they didn't want to do that at first because they wanted to keep an eye on how I was responding to it, but once I was stabilized they were happy to teach me.

EDITED for typo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been waiting on the sidelines to see if anyone responded to your question. I too have pernicious anemia and I also self administer my shots, it's not easy but have been doing so for more than 10 year and believe I hate the sight of needles. I know there are single shot ampules but my question would be the concern about carrying the cyanocobal in a back pack during the heat of the day, I keep my refrigerated. I agree with the other response you received regarding pharmacies here, they are quite different from the US. So I'd ask my doctor for an Rx written in very simple language that someone in Spain could understand and hope for the best at one of the pharmacies in a larger town. BTW the thrill of doing your camino might be enough to elevate your B-12 level :wink: .

Hi, biarritzdon. Just FYI, it doesn't need refrigeration. I know this from much post-hurricane experience, alas.

EDIT I should have said the cyanocobalamin used in the US doesn't. I don't know about the stuff they use in Europe, which is quite different. But what you'd get from a US pharmacy will keep unopened if it's the single dose kind, or if you get the multi-dose bottle, it contains a preservative.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I had not thought of asking if I can administer the shots myself since the doctor seems to want me to come in to get them. He's a reasonable sort and he might be willing to do that. I would guess I need two shots during the time of my trip. My doctor doesn't like the high dose oral route for me although I know it is available in the US. I could hope that the energizing effects of the camino might boost my B12, but I think I'd rather rely on the real thing! :D I'll go with a simple Spanish language written out letter and prescription if I can't arrange to bring single dose shots.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am due to commence my Camino next Sunday, (Sarria to Santiago), but a month ago developed my first ever case of plantar fasciitis. I have consulted with a podiatrist and diligently performed the...
I've just finished the walk about a week ago, and hope my experience/mistake can be of some help to future pilgrims. I spent a day or two in Madrid before and after walking the last 100 km to...
I was walking the Via the la Plata. After about 10 days I developed first signs of a blister. I put a plaster on it. When arriving in Valdesalor I saw that the blister was "open" I am a diabetic...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...
I’m leaving in 11 days for my CP. I live in California and would not drink tap water unless it’s filtered however I remember drinking from plenty of fountains in Spain. Is it the same in Portugal...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.