• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is a booster shot vs tetanus advisable?

EricJR

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 CF (Leon)
I was fully vaccinated against tetanus as a child, but my last dose must have been 25 years ago. The NHS has the following to say (from https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tetanus/ ).

"Tetanus is found throughout the world, so you should make sure you're fully vaccinated before travelling abroad.
Contact your GP surgery for advice if you're planning to travel abroad and have not been fully vaccinated against tetanus, or you're going to an area with limited medical facilities and your last vaccine dose was more than 10 years ago.
You'll be offered the 3-in-1 teenage booster. This injection, which also protects against diphtheria and polio, is usually free on the NHS."

I contacted my GP surgery for advice, and the receptionist, after consulting with a colleague, told me "I've never heard of that [giving a tetanus booster shot to an adult who was fully vaccinated as a child]. We don't offer that."

I'm inclined to book a travel vaccine appointment at a pharmacy anyway. Has anyone else been advised that it's not necessary?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was fully vaccinated against tetanus as a child, but my last dose must have been 25 years ago. The NHS has the following to say (from https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tetanus/ ).

I contacted my GP surgery for advice, and the receptionist, after consulting with a colleague, told me "I've never heard of that [giving a tetanus booster shot to an adult who was fully vaccinated as a child]. We don't offer that."

I'm inclined to book a travel vaccine appointment at a pharmacy anyway. Has anyone else been advised that it's not necessary?

Really? Here I get a tetanus shot every ten years. That is the recommended timeframe in my country.
Better be safe than sorry.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
a little googling versus the receptionist informs me that most official health sites in various countries have the same info as the NHS, namely an update after 10 years, and strongly recommended for veterinarians, farmers and garbage collectors. I am none of those, but I have dogs & used to have foster dogs and I repeat the shot every 10 years.

NHS 1 - receptionist 0

Yes. Get a shot. If you present to a medical professional with an open would you will be asked when was the last time you got a tetanus shot.

Of more concern is how to get that receptionist corrected?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

In Canada where I am, it is recommended to get a new Tetanus shot every 10 years. My sister in UK recently, in January checked with NHS and was recommended to get one, as hers last shot was over 10 years old.

I'm not giving medical advice, obviously, just my biased opinion ;). I don't live in the UK and have no opinion about the NHS and how it is organised. I went to my GP for a tetanus injection about a week a go. As others have said, it is recommended every 10 years. I thought that the text in your link was weird and so I checked my electronic patient file. Surprise, this is what I had injected: a vaccin protecting against diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough. Who knew ;)?

I just got my
I'm not giving medical advice, obviously, just my biased opinion ;). I don't live in the UK and have no opinion about the NHS and how it is organised. I went to my GP for a tetanus injection about a week a go. As others have said, it is recommended every 10 years. I thought that the text in your link was weird and so I checked my electronic patient file. Surprise, this is what I had injected: a vaccin protecting against diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough. Who knew ;)?
I just got my tetanus shot yesterday. As I'm "grandmother age" (though not yet a grandmother) my doctor had recommended that I get the tetanus shot that also protects against whooping cough since it's so dangerous in infants, and a booster is required to maintain immunity.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you've been partly or fully immunised, a tetanus shot is usually still recommended as a precaution if you're travelling to an area with limited medical facilities and your last dose of the vaccine was more than 10 years ago.

You'll be offered another 3-in-1 teenage booster. This additional booster, which also protects against diphtheria and polio, is usually free on the NHS.

thats dragged from the nhs website

not always wise asking the internets for health advice tho... just sayin

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for all your replies. Most people seem to say a tetanus booster shot is advisable after 10 years, so I will book myself in for one at a pharmacy.

Interestingly, I studied the tetanus guidance from Public Health England, and it seems the receptionist was correctly relaying their advice that:
In most circumstances, a total of 5 doses of tetanus-containing vaccine at the appropriate intervals are considered to give satisfactory long-term protection[1].
( https://assets.publishing.service.g...information_for_health_professionals_2019.pdf )

Their reference [1] is to the UK Health Security Agency's "Green Book", which adds:
For travellers to areas where medical attention may not be accessible and whose last dose
of a tetanus-containing vaccine was more than ten years previously, a booster dose should
be given prior to travelling, even if the individual has received five doses of vaccine
previously. This is a precautionary measure in case immunoglobulin is not available to the
individual in the event of a tetanus-prone injury.
( https://www.gov.uk/government/colle...ectious-disease-the-green-book#the-green-book )

So it looks like I have to pay for my own booster shot. Oh well.

55EF4AB3-FE7B-42C7-BA6D-C386753EB17E.png

In the US, tetanus boosters are due every 10 years. People in some professions are more likely to get the booster than others. Based on CDC guidelines, I highly recommend to people I work with that they do get the Tetanus booster every 10 years. I personally think it is important because on a long distance hike - you do have a greater risk getting cut with something that could cause Tetanus. For example - I was hiking in the early morning pre-dawn hours this past summer and I caught my leg on a barbed wire fence. Since I had a booster, I didn't have to worry about going to get medical care. I was able to just clean my wounds and go about my business. Otherwise - tetanus is a risk when cutting yourself on a barbed wire fencing and in other situations.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Tetanus has more causes than the proverbial "rusty nail." It can be present in all kind of places and make its way into the body through any kind of wound.

One shot every 10 years is recommended by authorities in many (most?) countries all over the world. This advice is NOT restricted to travel, but general. Your risk of getting tetanus at home is not smaller than when travelling.
I myself am lazy though I must admit ... good reminder. Thanks!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.