• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back issues-stenosis

LVDWD

Time of past OR future Camino
Have planned a to walk starting Sept 8th 2015, airfare paid etc. Run into a problem during training probably going to far to fast.
Not quite a spring chicken so these things are expected but an MRI shows significant (moderate to severe) stenosis in the lumbar area among quite a lot of other things. But given that the problem occurs only when I walk the principle problem is stenosis. Mine starts to be painful after a few hundred yards. But if I continue walking the pain eases, but the time to that was continuing to increase before I stopped training and was up to around 2 hours.

Would like to hear from anyone who has walked the Camino with similar issues (or are planning to).
Could they walk thru the pain. How long did it take to walk thru the pain. Did it get worse as the walking stages went on. Did they after doing the Camino do any more damage to the spine/nerves. Etc. And anything else that might be useful.

Appreciate all responses

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I suffer from this and am interested in any responses. I had injections which have really helped, though not totally solved the problem. Will post back later with more as have to go to work now.

I don't know if this applies to you, but when I first walked the Camino 14 years ago (and was 14 years younger) I had back problems and sciatica. The walk definitely fixed both - I don't know exactly how. Probably a combination of mobilising the joints, hard beds, and strengthening of supporting muscles.

With a bad back I would be careful about pack weight - and think about getting your pack carried. I'd also recommend trekking sticks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband (83 right now) and myself (63) are planning on doing the Camino Frances in Sept/Oct/Nov 2016, starting around 15th of Sept and to finish Nov 17th, his 85th birthday. We both have back issues, not crippling, but, daily. Interested in Kanga's remark that your sciatic problems and back problems were solved. We will take our time, staying in albergues mainly, but, resting in hotels if needed. We are looking at this as a walking holiday, no time limit other than the 90 visa requirement of Spain.
I was excited about doing this journey and my interest has been really increased since finding this site! The encouragement provided by pilgrims past is great!
My question is (probably hard to answer) at my husband's age and limited physical abilities is this trip doable? On the plus side we have a small dog that he walks at least 2 hours a day in three shifts so he used to walking. We plan to practice this Sept 2015 to ensure that we can do at least 15 kms a day...is this a practical goal to set|?

Hi Darlene,

Welcome to the Forum!

You and your husband will find a wealth of information here in the varous topics and threads to help you plan your own caminos.

Many of us who walk are well over 60. Scan this earlier Forum thread filled with relevant tips for our older age group.

Happy planning and Carpe diem!

Margaret Meredith

LVDWD...

In January this year after an excruciating Christmas and New Year period which I don't remember much of due to strong painkillers (!) I was diagnosed with foraminol stenosis, disc and facet joint degeneration. I also had a bulging disc which was causing sciatica which went right down to my foot. I was forced to cancel a long-planned ski trip to Canada with friends.

To avoid the horrible hallucinatory painkillers I had regular gentle chiropractic treatments which helped and did some gentle stretching and strengthening exercises. I just took paracetamol regularly with ibuprofen at the mid-way point between doses so as to never be without pain relief! I sat on extra cushions, bought a deep memory foam mattress topper, slept with a pillow between or under my knees, used ice packs regularly. I didn't like heat.

Early in March I had targeted nerve root block/steroid injections to settle localised inflammation around the nerve. This was not something I was keen on, but though it was fairly uncomfortable while it was happening, afterwards I sat up and though 'that wasn't too bad'. For the next 2 weeks I didn't think it had worked as I was still in pain, then suddenly it was all better!

I have been mostly pain free since, though I get a lot of 'twinges' and 'tweaks'. I find myself rubbing my left buttock a lot, which is where I feel the pain/discomfort. (Look out for me on the Camino, rubbing my backside!)

Walking starts off as painful, then seems to recede. I slipped on a wet day 2 weeks ago, on a steep slope in the woods and landed on a tree stump - right on that bad L5 joint - ouch! It took me a while to get up and I was miles from anywhere and I was quite frightened. I am so thankful that after several days of pain, it turned out to be bad bruising rather than anything worse.

I am only walking 6 days in September, and only plan to walk around 10km a day, except for that second day from Orisson to Roncesvalles. And I have a Plan B for that if I feel I may not be able to manage that. (I have foot problems as well!) I totally plan on using a bag transfer service, though more for the foot than the back. I'm worried about uncomfortable beds too.

I have just discovered kinesiology tape, and it seems to be quite effective though you'd have to get someone else to tape your back. Otherwise have you considered a lumbar/sacral back support/brace?

I sincerely wish you the very best for your Camino, and hope you can find an answer. Kanga offers a very positive and encouraging response. I think all you can do is to see how you get along, I know how disappointed I would be if I had to cancel, and that's only 6 days. Hopefully your consultant/doctor can come up with some advice or a workable solution and you can get something sorted before you leave. Best wishes, Julia

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't know if this applies to you, but when I first walked the Camino 14 years ago (and was 14 years younger) I had back problems and sciatica. The walk definitely fixed both - I don't know exactly how. Probably a combination of mobilising the joints, hard beds, and strengthening of supporting muscles.

With a bad back I would be careful about pack weight - and think about getting your pack carried. I'd also recommend trekking sticks.
Thanks for the response. If I make it taking poles. Not so sure about getting my pack carried. Seems to limit your options, but, not going to rule it out.

My husband (83 right now) and myself (63) are planning on doing the Camino Frances in Sept/Oct/Nov 2016, starting around 15th of Sept and to finish Nov 17th, his 85th birthday. We both have back issues, not crippling, but, daily. Interested in Kanga's remark that your sciatic problems and back problems were solved. We will take our time, staying in albergues mainly, but, resting in hotels if needed. We are looking at this as a walking holiday, no time limit other than the 90 visa requirement of Spain.
I was excited about doing this journey and my interest has been really increased since finding this site! The encouragement provided by pilgrims past is great!
My question is (probably hard to answer) at my husband's age and limited physical abilities is this trip doable? On the plus side we have a small dog that he walks at least 2 hours a day in three shifts so he used to walking. We plan to practice this Sept 2015 to ensure that we can do at least 15 kms a day...is this a practical goal to set|?
Well that inspires me stenosis or no stenosis!

LVDWD...

In January this year after an excruciating Christmas and New Year period which I don't remember much of due to strong painkillers (!) I was diagnosed with foraminol stenosis, disc and facet joint degeneration. I also had a bulging disc which was causing sciatica which went right down to my foot. I was forced to cancel a long-planned ski trip to Canada with friends.

To avoid the horrible hallucinatory painkillers I had regular gentle chiropractic treatments which helped and did some gentle stretching and strengthening exercises. I just took paracetamol regularly with ibuprofen at the mid-way point between doses so as to never be without pain relief! I sat on extra cushions, bought a deep memory foam mattress topper, slept with a pillow between or under my knees, used ice packs regularly. I didn't like heat.

Early in March I had targeted nerve root block/steroid injections to settle localised inflammation around the nerve. This was not something I was keen on, but though it was fairly uncomfortable while it was happening, afterwards I sat up and though 'that wasn't too bad'. For the next 2 weeks I didn't think it had worked as I was still in pain, then suddenly it was all better!

I have been mostly pain free since, though I get a lot of 'twinges' and 'tweaks'. I find myself rubbing my left buttock a lot, which is where I feel the pain/discomfort. (Look out for me on the Camino, rubbing my backside!)

Walking starts off as painful, then seems to recede. I slipped on a wet day 2 weeks ago, on a steep slope in the woods and landed on a tree stump - right on that bad L5 joint - ouch! It took me a while to get up and I was miles from anywhere and I was quite frightened. I am so thankful that after several days of pain, it turned out to be bad bruising rather than anything worse.

I am only walking 6 days in September, and only plan to walk around 10km a day, except for that second day from Orisson to Roncesvalles. And I have a Plan B for that if I feel I may not be able to manage that. (I have foot problems as well!) I totally plan on using a bag transfer service, though more for the foot than the back. I'm worried about uncomfortable beds too.

I have just discovered kinesiology tape, and it seems to be quite effective though you'd have to get someone else to tape your back. Otherwise have you considered a lumbar/sacral back support/brace?

I sincerely wish you the very best for your Camino, and hope you can find an answer. Kanga offers a very positive and encouraging response. I think all you can do is to see how you get along, I know how disappointed I would be if I had to cancel, and that's only 6 days. Hopefully your consultant/doctor can come up with some advice or a workable solution and you can get something sorted before you leave. Best wishes, Julia

You have my sympathy having had back trouble for many years with one episode where a piece of disc had broken away and was lodged on a nerve-excruciating and required surgery. But have had 6 years since then with relatively mild problems. But now after training for the Camino it has caught up with me and as well as severe height loss at 2 levels, along with bone spurs I have moderate to severe bilateral foraminal narrowing at L4 L5, which is obviously at least to me the cause of my sciatica. Confirmed by the fact that the pain gets worse when walking and recedes when sitting down. Was yours the same, i.e. worse when walking better when sitting?
What day do you start your walking? If I make it maybe we can swop notes.
I have planned for 6 weeks including travel time from the States. So if I start walking and then end up having to stop early not sure what I will do at that point.
Going to the Pain Mangement Clinic on Monday and expect to be offered a steroid injection, which I will take.
Interesting re the tape, I will check it out. You say it seems to be effective-how?
As an aside seem to get no relief from NSAIDs, and have not in the past.
Moist heat seems to improve it, ice makes it worse.
I am an exercise freak and some of my normal routine defintely makes it worse, so I have cut back on that and am only doing gentle stretches and riding my bike. I am a kiteboarder, and I can even do that with very little pain, although I am reluctant to go out for fear of exaccerbating the issue by getting into some sort of wreck (which would not be normal). But walking and standing is another issue.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Gosh, your problems sound awful and I feel bad for making a fuss about my experience. You sound pretty fit though - a good level of core strength is supposed to help.

My pains were worse for movement, yes. I start on 17th September so you will be ahead of me. Have you got travel insurance? Would that cover flying you home if your condition worsens, or would you consider continuing on by bus and exploring the smaller towns along the way? I know it wouldn't be the Camino as you had hoped for it, but it could be a back-up plan.

I definitely recommend trying the steroid injections - it may be they work well and give you a great Camino experience. Don't be dejected if the result isn't immediate, mine took 2-3 weeks to work.

The prescription NSAIDs don't seem to work, and you have to take them with something like Omeprazole to protect your stomach. I find they make me dizzy and and aren't very effective as pain relief. I like ibuprofen (an over the counter NSAID) 400-800 mg at a time, interspersed with paracetamol. Well, that's what works for me. And codeine at night only.

Re the kinesiology tape, google it, with 'for back pain' and you'll get loads of information and links to videos of how to apply it. I'm using it for my foot issues and also achilles tendonitis (yeah, I've overdone the training walks too!) and I am impressed with how much better it's made my aches and sore bits. Here's just one link... http://www.theratape.com/education-...logy-taping-for-sciatica-and-lower-back-pain/

Good luck with everything, let us know how you get on and what happens.

Have planned a to walk starting Sept 8th 2015, airfare paid etc. Run into a problem during training probably going to far to fast.
Not quite a spring chicken so these things are expected but an MRI shows significant (moderate to severe) stenosis in the lumbar area among quite a lot of other things. But given that the problem occurs only when I walk the principle problem is stenosis. Mine starts to be painful after a few hundred yards. But if I continue walking the pain eases, but the time to that was continuing to increase before I stopped training and was up to around 2 hours.

Would like to hear from anyone who has walked the Camino with similar issues (or are planning to).
Could they walk thru the pain. How long did it take to walk thru the pain. Did it get worse as the walking stages went on. Did they after doing the Camino do any more damage to the spine/nerves. Etc. And anything else that might be useful.

Appreciate all responses
Hi LVDWD This is a post I must answer by first asking Questions first: Do you have spinal stenosis? Has it been diagnosed as to which vertebrae are affected, if so is it the lumbar 4th and 5th vertebrae?
The reason I ask you these questions is very simple I have spinal stenosis in the 4th lumbar vertebrae . After a small relatively new operation in 2009 called an x stop, (a titanium wedge fitted between those vertebrae) which can be done under local anesthetics . I made an emmediate recovery and have walked the Way three times since then.
My only problem since then has been a "sensible caution" about carrying a full pack , although a 22ltr day pack fully loaded (6-7lbs) isn't a problem for me! Then there is always the possibility of using a baggage carrying service like Jacotrans to assist you for your camino.
If you do require any further info you can PM me and I will do my best to help . b:)

Hi LVDWD This is a post I must answer by first asking Questions first: Do you have spinal stenosis? Has it been diagnosed as to which vertebrae are affected, if so is it the lumbar 4th and 5th vertebrae?
The reason I ask you these questions is very simple I have spinal stenosis in the 4th lumbar vertebrae . After a small relatively new operation in 2009 called an x stop, (a titanium wedge fitted between those vertebrae) which can be done under local anesthetics . I made an emmediate recovery and have walked the Way three times since then.
My only problem since then has been a "sensible caution" about carrying a full pack , although a 22ltr day pack fully loaded (6-7lbs) isn't a problem for me! Then there is always the possibility of using a baggage carrying service like Jacotrans to assist you for your camino.
If you do require any further info you can PM me and I will do my best to help . b:)
Thanks for the response, wow done under local anaethesia. Sound awesome I will look it up. Surprised that I have not heard of it before. Yes my problem is generally L4 L5. But also have problems at L3 L4.

Did you have the stenosis in the foramina or the canal?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Darlene,

Welcome to the Forum!

You and your husband will find a wealth of information here in the varous topics and threads to help you plan your own caminos.

Many of us who walk are well over 60. Scan this earlier Forum thread filled with relevant tips for our older age group.

Margaret Meredith
Hi Darlene,

Welcome to the Forum!

Margaret Meredith

Thanks, Margaret, excellent link! Sure is encouraging! AND love your following line:

A smile returned by a new friend is one of the Camino's many joys. Just try it!

I have been reading for a few months and finally got up the courage to post my query. Looking forward to meeting all my "soon to be" new friends!

Thanks for the response, wow done under local anaethesia. Sound awesome I will look it up. Surprised that I have not heard of it before. Yes my problem is generally L4 L5. But also have problems at L3 L4.

Did you have the stenosis in the foramina or the canal?
So sorry about the delay in answering missed the posting. Not to my knowledge LVDWD but that doesn't necessarily mean I hadn't ! I found it impossible to stand still without bending my knees to relieve the pain, walking long distances put pain into my knee joints. Now no pain any where. Look into it see what your doctor thinks good luck to you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are determined to go, then please have a contingency plan. Make sure you are familiar with the medical system and if you think you may need medical care or need to be emergency medically evacuated, then purchase an inexpensive travel health insurance policy, just make sure it covers Emergency Rescue and pre-existing conditions. I don't believe you will regret going, just be prepared if it's a little harder and longer of a journey than you expected. Peace!

Thanks, Margaret, excellent link! Sure is encouraging! AND love your following line:

A smile returned by a new friend is one of the Camino's many joys. Just try it!

I have been reading for a few months and finally got up the courage to post my query. Looking forward to meeting all my "soon to be" new friends!
You've got lots of new friends here at the forum too!
So remember you can post here for advice about whatever even as you proceed along the Way.
Regds and Buen Camino pilgrim.
Gerard

Most read last week in this forum

I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it. This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to...
[Moderators, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.] What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself. Tomorrow morning I am...
Promised to take my daughter with me when doing the GSB on the Swiss/Italian border. She has been doing a lot of walking in preparation but now has terrible blisters. Searching the threads here...
I am about three weeks out on the Norte averaging close to 30 to 35 kms and at this point aside from blisters, I haven’t had a lot of physical issues. I have one week left with a flight booked...
There's always somebody posting about dropping out, or taking a break because they're injured, myself included. There seems to have been a few more than usual just lately, although perhaps that's...
I've just returned from the San Salvador/Primitivo and have got Giardia from drinking untreated Water. I filled a bottle in Tineo as the Bar owner said it was good water/better than his Tap. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.