• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back pack liner help please?

Edward Reardon

The Forgotten Man
Time of past OR future Camino
CF fall (2017)
After searching all the threads to no avail, could someone help with a back pack liner question?
What I am looking for is some kind of bag that I can put my 44 liter backpack into for air travel overhead bin storage and then use it as a waterproof pack liner for the Camino.
I just don't feel comfortable having all the straps etc. flying around bothering fellow travelers.
I know some people use heavy duty trash bags but I was hoping for something a little more durable and not look like a hobo.
I searched the web but could not find any specific sizes on most products offered. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
After searching all the threads to no avail, could someone help with a back pack liner question?
What I am looking for is some kind of bag that I can put my 44 liter backpack into for air travel overhead bin storage and then use it as a waterproof pack liner for the Camino.
I just don't feel comfortable having all the straps etc. flying around bothering fellow travelers.
I know some people use heavy duty trash bags but I was hoping for something a little more durable and not look like a hobo.
I searched the web but could not find any specific sizes on most products offered. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Osprey do backpack bags that turn into rain covers too

Exped do some large drybags. I've used the smaller ones for cameras etc and a large one as a liner for the sac.
Your 44 litre sac will probably compress down a little.

I also have a compressible Musto dry bag that I use when sailing but it seems a little over the top
for what you're looking for.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
See how much you can squezze dowm your pack for a start. There are many cheap dry sacks on E-bay, up to 70 liters in size. One if those should work. I have been looking for the same reason but have a year before my Camino, so have not bought yet.

buen camino

All's you got to do is cinch up, and tie down all the straps and such so that they don't hang down everywhere. You could also remove any straps on the pack you will not use anyway.
I've done that every time I carried-on my pack (48L) on flights. No fellow travelers seemed bothered by my pack at all.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/airplane_case.shtml

All's you got to do is cinch up, and tie down all the straps and such so that they don't hang down everywhere.

I agree. Without going into detail, I had to check my 50-liter Kelty Redwing backpack for our return flight from Spain in 2013. I did pretty much as Mark said, including the judicious application of my limited supply of 100-mph tape (duct tape for military applications). The pack came through undamaged, as did its contents.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited:
All's you got to do is cinch up, and tie down all the straps and such so that they don't hang down everywhere. You could also remove any straps on the pack you will not use anyway.
I've done that every time I carried-on my pack (48L) on flights. No fellow travelers seemed bothered by my pack at all.
Thanks Mark,
Never thought of just tying everything down.

I agree. Without going into detail, I had to check my 50-liter Kelty Redwing backpack for our return flight from Spain in 2013. I did pretty much as Mark said, including the judicious application of my limited supply of 100-mph tape (duct tape for military applications). The pack came through undamaged, as did its contents.
Hi Glenn,
Thanks. Did you do the taping after going through airport security?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
See how much you can squezze dowm your pack for a start. There are many cheap dry sacks on E-bay, up to 70 liters in size. One if those should work. I have been looking for the same reason but have a year before my Camino, so have not bought yet.

buen camino
Thank you!

Hi Glenn,
Thanks. Did you do the taping after going through airport security?
Nope. I used the tape to secure the shoulder straps to each other, and to bind up some loose strap-ends. The hip-belt tucked into its own area, btw. Security had unfettered access if they chose to open the pack.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sometimes removalists have 'packing' bags that are quite large.

If you do buy a pack liner make sure it is not too big for the insides of your pack . Counter intuitively a big liner makes finding and retrieving objects much harder . As does a cool looking black liner that is darker than a Kangaroo's armpit in a coal mine and impossible to see into , a yellow or white liner is best .

I bought an Aarn pack which was brilliantly waterproof, but I got an Osprey "Airporter" the next size up, so I could checkin the backpack and the poles (with tips wrapped in a towelling) as one item.

The "Airporter" is apparently waterproof, but I didn't test that aspect.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.