• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back pack recommendations

Diane Kinney

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago May 21 to June 3, 2014
Ponferrada to Santiago September 2015
Hi, I am in the very early stages of planning my next camino. I sold my Osprey backpack I used on my previous walks. I loved the comfort but really hated the top load feature. No matter how well organized I though I was, what I was looking for always seemed to be at the bottom. Especially annoying when trying to leave early in the morning and not disturb others with searching around.
I am looking for recommendations for front opening backpacks. They have a C or D shaped zipper in the front and when opened expose nearly everything inside. I think they are called Travellers packs.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Diane

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Diane, I agree with you about access to things in your pack so I spent a lot of time researching before buying my last pack.

Have a look at the Osprey Ariel (55l ). I always take a 50-65l pack which is half empty while walking making it super easy to find things during the day.

Comfort is more important than pack size, and having a bigger pack gives you space for travelling/shopping after your camino has ended.

With a bigger pack you also get better/more padding on many brands. The Ariel comes in M and F and various back lengths.
Although in the end I chose an Aarn, the Ariel was my second pick for comfort and ease-of-use. Cheers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I am in the very early stages of planning my next camino. I sold my Osprey backpack I used on my previous walks. I loved the comfort but really hated the top load feature. No matter how well organized I though I was, what I was looking for always seemed to be at the bottom. Especially annoying when trying to leave early in the morning and not disturb others with searching around.
I am looking for recommendations for front opening backpacks. They have a C or D shaped zipper in the front and when opened expose nearly everything inside. I think they are called Travellers packs.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Diane
Outbound Canyon Backpack 45L at Canadian Tire great price too!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Used an Osprey 36L. It has both top load and a u-shaped zipper for flat loading.

i used a 50l osprey anti gravity...it is a top loader but has a separation from the way bottom compartment. i used 4 medium sized dry sacks to divide my load and so it just was merely lifting those 4 bags out and putting them back in. i loved that the bag was too big so as to easy entry and i came home with a few gifts. i carrying on both ways.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I can now focus my search. Never thought of carrying a larger pack to make finding things easier but that is a good suggestion as long as I don't succumb to the temptation to overload

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
An under loader larger backpack is very hard to carry, it has a tendency to slip all over your back. You are better off with the right size to suit your gear, much more comfortable. Also be aware of a travel pack, they are called a travel pack for a reason. They are meant for travelling with, not for walking with. We use Mont packs, as they are a great walking pack. But brand is a very personal thing.

I have used the Osprey Talon 44 on two occasions of the CF and it's been awesome. There is a opening at the bottom for easy pack access.

It was big enough to carry a small tent, sleeping pad and the usual camino gear, all inside the pack too. Without water my pack was 9kg. I used a pack liner to avoid the need for a pack cover (which are useless anyway!).

An under loader larger backpack is very hard to carry, it has a tendency to slip all over your back. You are better off with the right size to suit your gear, much more comfortable. Also be aware of a travel pack, they are called a travel pack for a reason. They are meant for travelling with, not for walking with. We use Mont packs, as they are a great walking pack. But brand is a very personal thing.
I think most modern backpacks have a pretty good system of compressions straps so if you are below maximum capacity there shouldn't be an issue of the load slipping around. One (theoretical) upside to under loading a larger pack is that your centre of gravity should move down helping to stabilize you more. As an aside, for larger people a large pack is also a good way to get a well fitting harness. I do agree wholeheartedly about the travel packs. Good for getting from the airport to an accommodation but wouldn't want to try hundreds of Kms with one!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would contact Joe at Zpacks. They have what I think are the best-designed packs in existence (they are also expensive, but worth it for me). Ask him is he can build you a 45L version of the Arc Zip. I think he probably can, and that would be about what you want. Note: I prefer the Dyneema fabric because it is more durable and I hope to get many trips out of my pack. The cuben fiber is how lighter and plenty tough enough for probably 2-3 Caminos. Also get a couple of belt pouches (I actually have a third one for carrying my camera on my shoulder strap).

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

I used a Queshua forclas 40 air purchased from Decathlon for camino SJPP to Santiago in 2010 and a Low alpine air zone 35 walking up from Lisbon in 2012 summer. The low alpine only had top loading but I carried far less because the weather was so good and reliable.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.