• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baggage transfer in winter

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
As per title, is anyone aware of baggage transfer on the CF during winter? Not necessarily every day, just the odd day here and there where we feel like we need a helping hand so to speak. Mixed response from Correos - either not at all or from O Cebreiro to SdC. A number of the well-known companies close down from Oct-March or April...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not sure you are going to have much luck with bigger companies on the earlier sections of the camino Frances as there are such small number of pilgrims walking in winter. I walked a couple of different sections in January and at most there were 7 of us in albergues at night but often there were only 2 or 3. It may be possible in a pinch to find a local taxi who might do it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is always the Correos...
t2 and Jill, sadly not. I have emailed Correos twice - one response said no, not that time of year and the other response said only from O'Cebreiro-Sarria. Jacotrans said only some stages and only on some days - I have to email them in advance with dates and locations and they will decide at a fee of 30-35 euros :eek::eek:. Have emailed another place but they are studiously ignoring me (or not at home!!!)

Roving Rufus, sadly I think you are correct. It is just the odd stage - one that comes to mind are the horrible, freezing, strong headwinds walking across the meseta - we all struggles, particularly my older son - I ended up carrying his backpack as well as my own. Not again!

As an aside, Roving Rufus, I would LOVE to hear about your winter camino :)

Thanks for the replies

Well, the jury is in... No reliable mochila transfer services in the off-season. It appears that pilgrims will have to do it the customary way...carry one's own rucksack...:eek:

Alternatively, own could rent a donkey, and go really old-school...o_O

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anyone got any previous experience re removals with a Camino in March?.
It's the only time I can go and, looking by the Albergues available, it's 'Shoulder Season'

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Anyone got any previous experience re removals

I walked with a group last year, and one of the group members had to take a taxi each day. The others each paid him 5 euros to take their backpack with him, which covered the cost of his taxi :cool::).
Jill

Derek, we walked the CF in March last year. Most luggage transport companies re-opened around the 15th March. This date coincided with a lot of alburgues re-opening for the season. We used a service a couple of times but about a week or two in.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Derek, we walked the CF in March last year. Most luggage transport companies re-opened around the 15th March. This date coincided with a lot of alburgues re-opening for the season. We used a service a couple of times but about a week or two in.

Thank you specifically for this post.
Hopefully??? I'll be half way through my walk and might be in need of a Baggage lift.
I've identified my albergues of choice for the first half but may change my choices in the second half as more and more open. Once again, thank you.

And so it came to pass. Thank you.

I walked with a group last year, and one of the group members had to take a taxi each day. The others each paid him 5 euros to take their backpack with him, which covered the cost of his taxi :cool::).
Jill
Love this. Camino ‘can-do’ and ‘working-together’ spirit alive and well 😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walking full CFs in winter 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010. I always carried my pack; transport services were not common then.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back