• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cies Islands day trip - from Baiona or from Vigo?

rainswift

Time of past OR future Camino
Jun 2024 - Portuguese Litoral + VE + Finisterre
Hello!

Walking my first Camino in June 2024. Planning on taking a rest day in either Baiona or Vigo, and using that rest day to go to Cies Islands. I'd rather stay in Baiona for my rest day, but I'll walk on to Vigo then take a rest day if it means I can guarantee the ferry to Cies.

I'm having difficulty finding out if there actually IS a ferry from Baiona to Cies. The general English internet says that you can do it, but the three ferry companies linked on the Islas Cies website here do not seem to have Baiona as a port of departure. This is so, even though the Islas Cies website itself says "The ports with regular departures in season are: Baiona, Cangas, Vigo and also, occasionally, from Sanxenxo and Portonovo."

Is this just because I'm browsing in the off-season/winter? Maybe they update their websites to show Baiona as a port of departure when spring rolls around?

Has anyone in 2023 actually taken the ferry from Baiona to Cies in summer high season? What times did the ferry run to and from Cies, if you did?

With thanks, buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can't help you with any info but thanks for bringing attention to these islands.
I'd never heard of them before but they are definitely on my radar 📡 now...wow!
👣🌏

Yeah, they're gorgeous, aren't they? I feel if I don't take the chance to visit while I'm on the Camino Portuguese, I'll never get to do it. (This is a dream trip for me, this Camino).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yeah, they're gorgeous, aren't they? I feel if I don't take the chance to visit while I'm on the Camino Portuguese, I'll never get to do it. (This is a dream trip for me, this Camino).
Yep...stunning!
Good for you in thinking outside the box. While planning/walking a Camino (or other trail), it's very easy to slip into tunnel vision with eyes solely on the path...but you've got to take the opportunities which present! As you rightly say, you may not get the chance again.
I'll watch with interest & hope someone has the info you're looking for.
Enjoy the CP...I loved it when I walked Lisbon to SdC in 2015.
Happy trails...& detours! 🤗
👣🌏

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This one has dates and a timetable from Baiona.

Thanks! I didn't scroll down far enough earlier to see those schedules! On the Baiona schedules, I would guess it only runs from Baiona to Cies during July, August, and September. And also for some reason during Easter week it will run. (The schedule is... hard to interpret).

Looks like I'll be walking on to Vigo to be sure of a ferry to/from Cies in June.

Appreciate the help!

Everything I read also says that you need to apply in advance for a pass to travel to the islands so don't wait until you arrive to arrange it. They only allow a certain number of visitors per day due to its protected status.

I browse one of the Galicia newspapers daily and I recall many articles about limits on visitors. It is a gem that locals and Spaniards from other places visit as well it seems.

Yes, I read that you have to apply to the Xunta for a pass to travel to the islands, separate from your ferry ticket. The Isla Cies website is actually a little anxiety-inducing about it:

"First request authorization from the Xunta, then you have a period of 2 hours to buy your ticket."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I read that you have to apply to the Xunta for a pass to travel to the islands, separate from your ferry ticket. The Isla Cies website is actually a little anxiety-inducing about it:

"First request authorization from the Xunta, then you have a period of 2 hours to buy your ticket."
We tried to book on the ferry in Vigo this September but they were all full and we were leaving the next day, but no mention of needing a pass from the Xunta.

We tried to book on the ferry in Vigo this September but they were all full and we were leaving the next day, but no mention of needing a pass from the Xunta.
I think if you show up at the ferry wanting to book a ticket they try to arrange the Xunta pass for you at the port (with minor chaos involved). From everything I'm reading (travel blogs etc), you absolutely do need the Xunta pass or your ferry ticket is wasted.

My husband and I walked the Portuguese Camino along the coast last August. We took a ferry from Baiona to the Cies Island on August 14th. We had previously asked for a pass to the Xunta on the Internet and we bought the tickets with the Naviera Mar de Ons. On our way back from Cies Islands to Baiona, the ferry captain left the established route and took us near the only island that can not be visited: the island of San Martiño. The captain acted as an improvised tour guide and explained the history of this island. He also explained the history of the mussel farms. At the end of the explanation he asked us to give positive feedback about this route on social networks so that workers of the shipping companies can keep their jobs all year round. For me Cies Island was the best experience in 750 kilometres we walked from Lisbon to Santiago. I've read there is no need to ask for a permit if you travel off the peak seasons. By the way, Jules Verne was inspired by these island and by Vigo to write his "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My husband and I walked the Portuguese Camino along the coast last August. We took a ferry from Baiona to the Cies Island on August 14th. We had previously asked for a pass to the Xunta on the Internet and we bought the tickets with the Naviera Mar de Ons. On our way back from Cies Islands to Baiona, the ferry captain left the established route and took us near the only island that can not be visited: the island of San Martiño. The captain acted as an improvised tour guide and explained the history of this island. He also explained the history of the mussel farms. At the end of the explanation he asked us to give positive feedback about this route on social networks so that workers of the shipping companies can keep their jobs all year round. For me Cies Island was the best experience in 750 kilometres we walked from Lisbon to Santiago. I've read there is no need to ask for a permit if you travel off the peak seasons. By the way, Jules Verne was inspired by these island and by Vigo to write his "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas".
Thanks for this. It sounds wonderful. We will try again in the future.

Really appreciate you chiming in with your experience! I'm even more excited to make the day trip to Cies now. Because of what J Willhaus found out about the schedule from Baiona earlier (seems to only run from Baiona July-Sep), I'll walk on to Vigo and take the day trip from Vigo.

We've stayed several times in Vigo, and always wanted to go out to the islands, but haven't done so, yet.

It sounds as if you don't need the permit to visit after Sept 15 and before July 1.

I was very excited to hear about them because it reminded me so much of the Salish Sea in northwest Washington State and southwestern British Columbia, my home area. I hadn't known, previously, that there were any (relatively) sheltered islands off the Atlantic coast of Iberia. The ocean habitats are so different in these areas to those in the open ocean. I am resolved to visit as soon as I can.

Here are a couple of websites I found with more information. As well as the museum documented here, up to at least a couple of years ago, when we were last in Vigo, there was an information centre with stunning photographs of the area, located on one of the main streets in the central part of downtown Vigo. I haven't been able to find a website referring to that centre. It could have been just the main Vigo tourist office, I guess.

Bom caminho!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello!

Walking my first Camino in June 2024. Planning on taking a rest day in either Baiona or Vigo, and using that rest day to go to Cies Islands. I'd rather stay in Baiona for my rest day, but I'll walk on to Vigo then take a rest day if it means I can guarantee the ferry to Cies.

I'm having difficulty finding out if there actually IS a ferry from Baiona to Cies. The general English internet says that you can do it, but the three ferry companies linked on the Islas Cies website here do not seem to have Baiona as a port of departure. This is so, even though the Islas Cies website itself says "The ports with regular departures in season are: Baiona, Cangas, Vigo and also, occasionally, from Sanxenxo and Portonovo."

Is this just because I'm browsing in the off-season/winter? Maybe they update their websites to show Baiona as a port of departure when spring rolls around?

Has anyone in 2023 actually taken the ferry from Baiona to Cies in summer high season? What times did the ferry run to and from Cies, if you did?

I lived in the US for many years but I am from VIGO, and I and family traveling to Spain in June and I am taking my US grandkids to Islas Cies in June, 15-2024 will see you there? Your problem is that the 3-4 ferry companies going from Vigo to Cies are not the same as Baiona-Cies and they don't like to share info.
Since, Vigo is in your way and closer to Santiago than Baiona if I was you I will take the ferry from Vigo but better buy the tickets well in advance because entrance to Cies is limited so if you have the tickets you are allowed in the island.
FYI, Vigo is the primer port to CIES, more ferry Co's, more boats more trips times options. I was last there in June 2021. and in June 2024 we may pass by you at the island.
Good luck,
Placido, Florida, USA

I lived in the US for many years but I am from VIGO, and I and family traveling to Spain in June and I am taking my US grandkids to Islas Cies in June, 15-2024 will see you there? Your problem is that the 3-4 ferry companies going from Vigo to Cies are not the same as Baiona-Cies and they don't like to share info.
Since, Vigo is in your way and closer to Santiago than Baiona if I was you I will take the ferry from Vigo but better buy the tickets well in advance because entrance to Cies is limited so if you have the tickets you are allowed in the island.
FYI, Vigo is the primer port to CIES, more ferry Co's, more boats more trips times options. I was last there in June 2021. and in June 2024 we may pass by you at the island.
Good luck,
Placido, Florida, USA
Wow, so nice to hear from a local! Thanks for the tip - I have indeed decided to go from Vigo. I'll buy my ticket/xunta pass around March, I think, so that I've got it early. My planned rest day to go to Cies is actually exactly on June 15 2024! So maybe I will indeed see you there!

Hello!

Hi! My husband and I visited Cies Islands last August 2023 and we took the ferry from Baiona. Prior to the trip, we had to ask for permission to the Xunta de Galicia to visit the Islands. You have to do this three months in advance and it is done online. Once you have that permission, you can book the ticket. There are three ferry companies. We chose "Mar de Ons" (https://www.mardeons.es/en/). It's likely this ferry does not operate in Winter. That's why you cannot find it now. Hope you find this useful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back