• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Basic Spanish.

joeboybollo

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria-Santiago (Sept.2014)
Inglese-(Sept.2015)
New 4 week course(about 4 hours weekly) for people like me, with virtually no Spanish. I have done many online courses with this organisation and they are usually excellent. This one has been put together by The Open University so it should be spot on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New 4 week course(about 4 hours weekly) for people like me, with virtually no Spanish. I have done many online courses with this organisation and they are usually excellent. This one has been put together by The Open University so it should be spot on.
Forgot to say that it starts on Monday 8th.August but when you enrol you can do it at your leisure and catch up in your own time if you get behind
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It seems silly to say this, but thanks for taking the time and making the effort up learn some Spanish.
It never fails to amaze me when people travel to a country with a different language and then complain that the locals do not understand the travelers' language.

It's all about communication.

Buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do you have a hyperlink that you can post? I found there site, but did not see the Basic Spanish class you referenced. I have been using Rosetta Stone Spanish (Spain not Latin American version). I would like to see if supplementing with this course might help.
Gracias por adelantado

For those of you with more time before you go may I recommend the Coffee Break Espagnol podcasts?

You can download free lessons from iTunes or https://radiolingua.com/coffeebreakspanish/and also buy back up materials from them / (I have financial no connection with them!)

You don't HAVE to buy but the presenter, Mark, has put an enormous amount of effort into it and deserves support and has a Spanish accent to die for (he's a Scot).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We have signed up for this course to complement the Michel Thomas one we are currently doing. We had started the Coffeebreak Spanish a couple of years ago (and loved the accent!) but then it disappeared off my phone. In an effort to find a replacement we ordered every course in the library. After a small sampling of them all, we unanimously agreed upon Michel Thomas to be our tutor. His approach challenges all I believe about education, but it works. He also has a wonderful accent and is an enthusiastic, encouraging and positively inspirational teacher. I can't speak highly enough of him.

For those of you with more time before you go may I recommend the Coffee Break Espagnol podcasts?

You can download free lessons from iTunes or https://radiolingua.com/coffeebreakspanish/and also buy back up materials from them / (I have financial no connection with them!)

You don't HAVE to buy but the presenter, Mark, has put an enormous amount of effort into it and deserves support and has a Spanish accent to die for (he's a Scot).
Thanks, I downloaded the first 10 and listened to the first 5 on my walk. They were very entertaining, and made the walk go by quickly.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I attended 1 month of basic Spanish schooling in Alicante in April this year at www.enforex.com in Alicante. Most enjoyable, and it is now a relief that I can communicate some in Spain! Stayed with a local woman host and 2 other students in the city centre. Great value for money!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And I was recalling my own challenges. I was having a great time shopping last year in Santiago and was pretty proud I was able to do it all in Spanish . . . Until he asked if I wanted my purchase in a bag. I was totally confused over such a simple question and embarrassed at my lack of understanding.:oops:

Por que quere castigar o seu burro con unha manta ?

Old joke with which I remind myself how useless phrasebook and enthusiasm can be ;)

Actually that one looks more Portuguese to me ;-) As for basic language learning you can't beat duolingo.com imo - free and fun! Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Does anyone else have any language school recommendations? I am intermediate. I'd rather go somewhere where as few people as possible speak English.

Does anyone else have any language school recommendations? I am intermediate. I'd rather go somewhere where as few people as possible speak English.

SO tempted to make jokes aimed at our fellow country(wo)men but I shall restrain myself . . .

I've heard good reports about DonQuijote residential courses at various locations in Spain

www.donquijote.co.uk

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Some hospitaleros are well prepared:
View attachment 28209
They all say Fifteen - the price of the Albergue

I had a little speech in Spanish, French and German when I worked at Rabanal.
It went something like:

"Bienvenido al refugio Guacelmo
Las reglas de la casa:
No fumar (wags index finger), no fumar en la casa o en la huerta (indicates out of the front door)
Siéntase libre de utilizar la cocina (indicates by hand to the right), el desayuno es desde las 6.30 de la mañana y está incluido.
Hay una sala tranquila arriba (indicates upstairs to the left) - tener cuidado con la cabeza en las escaleras!
Botas deben quedar fuera en el balcón
¡Disfruta tu estancia!"

By the end of my three week stint I could deliver my lines quite eloquently but it did lead to some stilted conversations :(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And I was recalling my own challenges. I was having a great time shopping last year in Santiago and was pretty proud I was able to do it all in Spanish . . . Until he asked if I wanted my purchase in a bag. I was totally confused over such a simple question and embarrassed at my lack of understanding.:oops:
Bolsa

Our Halifax Public Library (in Nova Scotia, Canada) has a great on-line course from which I've been picking and choosing bits. It even rates your pronunciation!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I went to Gadir Escuela Internacional in Cádiz -- I'm also an intermediate and I thought the school was very strong and I love Cádiz. I have also done an immersion program in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico which I also thought was wonderful -- there are a lot of ex-pats in SMA though so you would encounter more English.

I've had good experience with Don Quijote in Granada and Salamanca Spain, and Guanajuato Mexico and with Enforex at Alicante Spain.

There are some bargains available at Cuenca and Quito in Ecuador. I haven't been yet but the price is for one on one as compared to a class of 8 in Spain and Mexico.

I notice nobody has mentioned Duolingo a free site that involves situations and targets and practice. It is well worth trying!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I just signed up, too. Hopefully, my Spanish will soon extend beyond "una copa vino tinto, por favor."

Most read last week in this forum

Is it possible to take a shower in the morning at an albergue if they run out of hot water in the evening?
I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Dumb as it might seem, it's only recently sunk in that a good deal of some camino routes might be on vehicular roads rather than walking trails. I don't really mean the town and village-y bit...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.