• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bayonne

Laliibeans

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
I've gone over the travel plan with my family and they agree that after a 24-30 hour flight from Australia we don't want to rush and wear ourselves out before we start. So when we land we're going straight to Bayonne by train and should arrive mid-afternoon.

Can anyone recommend a good (cheap) place to stay that's close to a restaurant and the train station, and also if there is anything close by that area that is worth a relaxed look to fill in the rest of the afternoon (even just a street that's worth strolling down)?

We're hoping that by doing it this way it means a peaceful afternoon and the following day we'll have ample time to get to SJPP and have a nice wander around too, then we'll start the following day nice and fresh (hopefully!). As much as I'd love to see Paris, trying to cram it into a jetlagged afternoon just wouldn't be worth it. Especially when followed by an expensive hotel and then a full day of train travel the following day.

Any recommendations are apreciated :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi there,

From my readings of the forums, it seems the Hotel Monte-Carlo is the handiest place, it's meant to be very nice and it's just opposite the train station itself, which eases any worries trying to find that!

Buen Camino!

Hello, I can recommend the Ibis hotel about a 5 minute walk from the train station. Not really authentic France but very comfortable, especially after a long travel day. You can google map it. It's close to the river and offers a nice stroll along the riverfront or cross the river and head towards the cathedral. Bayonne is a beautiful town, very relaxing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laliibeans,

In Bayonne the Monte Carlo, 11 rue Hugues, is a small, inexpensive place which conveniently close to the Gare. Here is their web >> http://hotel-montecarlo.allcommerces.com/. Next morning you can easily catch the early TER line 62 train to SJPdP.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Laliibeans!

Check out this topic:
el-camino-frances/topic18142.html

If you'll have problems to find Hotel Monte Carlo look at the photo below and then walk out of the train station, head right and over the street and there it is. But as I remember from yesterday post the trains from Bayonne to SJPDP will not operate between 03.-28.06.2013.

Ultreia!

Attachments

• 0010-Hotel at railway station (Bayonne,13.05.2011).jpg
    0010-Hotel at railway station (Bayonne,13.05.2011).jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 816
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's a wise decision. We had a week in Pris before heading to Spain, and that first afternoon (after our 35 hours from NZ) we forced everyone up Montmartre to keep them awake. Noone even cared to look at the Eiffel Tower, some of them fell asleep standing up on the metro back to the (cheap) hotel....but they did agree it was right to NOT go to sleep in the middle of the afternoon. Try not to snooze on the train and you'll adjust more quickly to local time. Maybe you could head off to the cathedral and get your first sello!

Bayonne to SJPdP via TER line 62 in June 2013

The French railroad SNCF has announced that from 3 June through 28 June BUSES will replace trains on the TER line 62 route which runs from Bayonne to SJPdP.

Tickets purchased earlier for the train are still usable on the buses. For those without rr tickets new tickets for the buses can be purchased in the Bayonne railroad station ticket office in the station lobby. The price to SJPdP is roughly 10 euros. There are no reserved seats.

The buses will depart from the parking area in front of the Bayonne station.

To read the new line 62 TER timetable for June click >> http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Imag ... -88536.pdf

Please don't panic over this change. The Gare SNCF in Bayonne is small and easily navigated. The staff is helpful and used to dealing with throngs of pilgrims as well as vacationers. They will help you find your way. The station cafe boasts many handy plugs for recharging your computer or smartphone; relax and have a drink.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

MM

Thanks for that info. That does look like it will be a very convenient spot to stay, and it looks quite nice, too!

I'm not leaving until next year but as my mother tends to panic a bit and my sister is trying to arrange her travel plans so we can all meet at Bayonne I'm trying to get the plan worked out far in advance. Then we can just concentrate on training!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh, thanks all for this information on the trains, buses, and accommodation in Bayonne!

I'm arriving via red-eye to Paris the morning of June 11th, and I've had to accept that I won't be making it to SJPDP that night. It will be too stressful to try to make the last train that beats the last bus to SJPDP, and that's not how I want to spend my first day out!

I am, however, DETERMINED to make Orisson by the evening of the 12th, because it's my birthday, and I booked in there because it seems like the perfect place to turn 35. So I'll stay in Bayonne the night of the 11th, take an early ride to SJPDP, get my pilgrim passport, and drag my jet-lagged self up that hill to Orisson!

So soon!

Have a great time! (Let me know of your review of Bayonne, where ever you stay)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The river was lapping at the tracks today in several places, and we slowed to a crawl several times. The track has been washed out several times in the last few years, so SNCF is accustomed to using buses. Don't worry about future service and times; the French are not in control of the weather or the river!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back