• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bedding and rain gear decision questions

Tom Conklin

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2016)
Porto (Fall 2017)
Via (2022)
I am heading to St. Jean on September 14 and am hoping to get to Santiago by October 15 or 16. I am pretty well-prepared but I have two packing/supplies questions. These are both climate-related.

I am wondering if I will need a light (1Kg) sleeping bag or if a sheet and fleece liner will be enough. The latter combination will let me cut about 500g from my total. I do want to sleep well.

Second, I am wondering whether my best rain gear solution is the Altus poncho or if a very good, breathable rain jacket will do the trick almost as well. I will be spending three or four days in Paris before flying home and the poncho would not be the best there. I am also carrying a fleece jacket.

Thanks for your ideas.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes to the sleeping bag, but 1kg isn't light. What is the temperature rating on each choice?

Poncho is my choice since years, but others will have other opinions.

Buen Camino, SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I say "yes" to sleeping bag, but I'd search out a higher one. This is the one I used: http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/lite-line-200?gid=61&vid=1 I find that having a sleeping bag was nice and one of the little luxuries that was worth the extra weight. This one is just over a pound and packs down really really small. They have other options as well.

I'd go with the rain jacket personally. I'm not a fan of ponchos and if you are wanting a good non-camino solution for Paris, then I'd go with a jacket. I found a jacket to be more flexible as well. If it was a little colder in the mornings I could put my breathable shell on over my fleece (well I used a mini-puffy jacket, but the same idea) for a little extra warmth. Or, I could just throw on the shell without the other layer and have something to buffet the wind. My pack had a rain cover so I was fine if it started to rain. Just not a fan of ponchos in general I guess, and since I already had a nice light packable rain shell it worked out for me really easily.

Best of luck!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think the answers you're going to get will be quite idiosyncratic. I know I would need a proper sleeping bag not just a liner, but then I know I feel the cold. You may not be the same. I would definitely try to find a lighter sleeping bag if you can (again, I'm a weed when it comes to weight), but then again, it depends on how much you can carry. In my case, I would always go for the most lightweight option (in my case the Sea to Summit Traveller TR1) plus one or two liners to allow for either warmer temperatures or really cold ones. Bulk is an important consideration, too, so do try to go for down (and a decent compression sack), rather than hollow fibre, which is much heavier and bulkier.
Same applies to rain gear. I'm sure ponchos are great, but seperate waterproofs might provide more options and act as an extra layer against the cold if required (I was sure glad to have them for that purpose myself, in August!). There are some very lightweight ones indeed that are super efficient (my Montane trousers (bought second hand on Ebay) are totally waterproof, and only weigh in at 124 g/4 oz including their storage bag!!!).

I walked the Frances around the same time. Only had a liner and not warm enough and i had to pick up a lightweight sleeping bag in Pamplona (700g). I sleep cold btw.

I took a technical shell and a sleeveless tarp poncho, The shell serves as a light rain jacket, as a windbreaker/insulation layer and a town jacket. Don't need a heavier fleece layer. I wear the poncho only during heavy or sustain rain or when i needed more insulation at higher elevations. Rain pants only when sustained rain is in the forecast.

With a waterproof jacket/pants water can still enter the pack through the harness and the frame. In my experience, a tarp poncho can cover 2/3 of your body and the pack. Very efficient.

I've walked four CF's from the months of early June through mid September. That's over 120 days on the CF. Total amount of rain days I experienced on those walks is 4-5 days. That averages about one rain day per Camino. I would say a breathable rain jacket will be just fine, in conjunction with your pack cover. My first Camino I carried no rain gear, and was lucky and had zero rain.
As far as sleeping bags go, I never carried one on any of my Caminos and only relied on a synthetic bag liner and the blankets in the albergues. I experienced more overly warm and stuffy nights in albergues than I did cold ones. You are sleeping indoors, not camping. In my experience the albergues as a rule just don't get very cold.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes to the sleeping bag, but 1kg isn't light. What is the temperature rating on each choice?

Poncho is my choice since years, but others will have other opinions.

Buen Camino, SY

I have had a hard time finding a somewhat affordable light sleeping bag under 750g. they are out there but I am not willing to pay over $400 for them! My sheet and liner are light but I do not think they are going to do the job. Sleeping is important so I will probably carry the extra weight.

Thanks very much for your input. I am still unsure but I now have a whole lot more info.

Tom

I say "yes" to sleeping bag, but I'd search out a higher one. This is the one I used: http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/lite-line-200?gid=61&vid=1 I find that having a sleeping bag was nice and one of the little luxuries that was worth the extra weight. This one is just over a pound and packs down really really small. They have other options as well.

I'd go with the rain jacket personally. I'm not a fan of ponchos and if you are wanting a good non-camino solution for Paris, then I'd go with a jacket. I found a jacket to be more flexible as well. If it was a little colder in the mornings I could put my breathable shell on over my fleece (well I used a mini-puffy jacket, but the same idea) for a little extra warmth. Or, I could just throw on the shell without the other layer and have something to buffet the wind. My pack had a rain cover so I was fine if it started to rain. Just not a fan of ponchos in general I guess, and since I already had a nice light packable rain shell it worked out for me really easily.

Best of luck!
Sounds like the sleeping bag is the way to go. I am still weighing the sheet and a liner but I am worried about those nights when I would have to wear all my clothes too! I slept on the side of the road in my boots inside a good bag in the Kalahari Desert 30 years ago and it is still fresh in my mind!

Again, I am not poor, but I do not need a $400 sleeping bag, unfortunately.

Your comments on the rain gear are very much appreciated. I have no problem with getting wet when it is warm but the cool, wet days worry me.

Thanks for your thoughtful observations and ideas.

Tom

I think the answers you're going to get will be quite idiosyncratic. I know I would need a proper sleeping bag not just a liner, but then I know I feel the cold. You may not be the same. I would definitely try to find a lighter sleeping bag if you can (again, I'm a weed when it comes to weight), but then again, it depends on how much you can carry. In my case, I would always go for the most lightweight option (in my case the Sea to Summit Traveller TR1) plus one or two liners to allow for either warmer temperatures or really cold ones. Bulk is an important consideration, too, so do try to go for down (and a decent compression sack), rather than hollow fibre, which is much heavier and bulkier.
Same applies to rain gear. I'm sure ponchos are great, but seperate waterproofs might provide more options and act as an extra layer against the cold if required (I was sure glad to have them for that purpose myself, in August!). There are some very lightweight ones indeed that are super efficient (my Montane trousers (bought second hand on Ebay) are totally waterproof, and only weigh in at 124 g/4 oz including their storage bag!!!).

I am really starting to realize that there is no shared reality on the Camino, like everywhere else I guess! The sleeping bag keeps coming back as the preferred option so I appreciate you weighing in. The bulk reminder is also helpful. I have a really good pack (Gregory 35) that sits well and does not feel too onerous.

Thanks also for the rain pants comments. I have seen a few light weight options that I will look at again.

Tom

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Frances around the same time. Only had a liner and not warm enough and i had to pick up a lightweight sleeping bag in Pamplona (700g). I sleep cold btw.

I took a technical shell and a sleeveless tarp poncho, The shell serves as a light rain jacket, as a windbreaker/insulation layer and a town jacket. Don't need a heavier fleece layer. I wear the poncho only during heavy or sustain rain or when i needed more insulation at higher elevations. Rain pants only when sustained rain is in the forecast.

With a waterproof jacket/pants water can still enter the pack through the harness and the frame. In my experience, a tarp poncho can cover 2/3 of your body and the pack. Very efficient.

Very much appreciate you sharing your experience with a liner. As I have said in a couple of posts now, the bag seems to be the way to go.

I have a great, breathable rain jacket that will do the job pretty well. I am going to look for some light pants. My pack comes with a solid rain cover and I have tested it in some really serious rain. This summer in Ontario we have had hordes of heat but on one training hike the rain fell hard on me and my pack for about an hour and then a bit less hard for another hour and my stuff was really dry.

Thanks for taking the time to help me make my decision.

Tom

Tom,

I have walked in May-June and September-October. On some Caminos it was terribly hot, on another one it was cold and rainy for days and days, and more days.

I now chose a 3 season sleeping bag or now a liner plus a duvet quilt bought at Costco for under 30$. Someone said recently they are back on the shelfs.

For rain, I would ask my self the following: 30 days on the Camino, with no shelter, ofter no way to get nice and toasty at night nor a way to properly dry clothes, vs 3-4 days in Paris where you will bevisiting museums, monuments, taking the subway.

I know bring rain pants (MEC has some, but Mac in a Sac has much lighter ones), an Altus I wear open for ventilation while covering the backpack straps and an umbrella. Love it!

Sounds like the sleeping bag is the way to go. I am still weighing the sheet and a liner but I am worried about those nights when I would have to wear all my clothes too! I slept on the side of the road in my boots inside a good bag in the Kalahari Desert 30 years ago and it is still fresh in my mind!

Again, I am not poor, but I do not need a $400 sleeping bag, unfortunately.

Your comments on the rain gear are very much appreciated. I have no problem with getting wet when it is warm but the cool, wet days worry me.

Thanks for your thoughtful observations and ideas.

Tom

Glad to help! And as a heads up, if you buy a bag from cumulus they have a different price when shipped to the US. I don't need a $400 bag either, and at around $180 (depending on what the euro is doing), I found the bag (though a substantial cost) to be an excellent replacement for my old sleeping bag, and a welcome lightweight addition to my camping and backpacking gear. It's even small enough that i can keep it in my trunk in case of emergencies.

Sound like you'r eon the right path with rain gear too! Best of luck Tom.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tom,

I have walked in May-June and September-October. On some Caminos it was terribly hot, on another one it was cold and rainy for days and days, and more days.

I now chose a 3 season sleeping bag or now a liner plus a duvet quilt bought at Costco for under 30$. Someone said recently they are back on the shelfs. The brand ks Double Black Diamond. It is a throw, so not very long, but long enough for my 5.4".

For rain, I would ask my self the following: 30 days on the Camino, with no shelter, ofter no way to get nice and toasty at night nor a way to properly dry clothes, vs 3-4 days in Paris where you will bevisiting museums, monuments, taking the subway.

I know bring rain pants (MEC has some, but Mac in a Sac has much lighter ones), an Altus I wear open for ventilation while covering the backpack straps and an umbrella. Love it! And the umbrella is good for Paris.

Very much appreciate you sharing your experience with a liner. As I have said in a couple of posts now, the bag seems to be the way to go.

I have a great, breathable rain jacket that will do the job pretty well. I am going to look for some light pants. My pack comes with a solid rain cover and I have tested it in some really serious rain. This summer in Ontario we have had hordes of heat but on one training hike the rain fell hard on me and my pack for about an hour and then a bit less hard for another hour and my stuff was really dry.

Thanks for taking the time to help me make my decision.

Tom
Great Tom, as long as you tested the setup and it worked for you thats the most important thing. Buen Camino.

I have had a hard time finding a somewhat affordable light sleeping bag under 750g. they are out there but I am not willing to pay over $400 for them! My sheet and liner are light but I do not think they are going to do the job. Sleeping is important so I will probably carry the extra weight.

Thanks very much for your input. I am still unsure but I now have a whole lot more info.

Tom
HI,
Not sure where you live, but costco has stuff able down blankets for $19.99. Weigh about 500 g. Quite nice and warm. That is what I'm am bringing. (Along with silk liner) Sept 18- Oct30 2016

Julie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
With the new technology you can find a very good and lightweight sleeping bag. I'd go with down myself. Rain jacket is more practical. However, if you encounter a typical wet Gallician autumn you might as well pack an inflatable raft. I have never been so thoroughly soaked through for as many consecutive days. Except maybe backpacking in Alaska. B.u.e.n. C.a.m.i.n.o.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back