• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Bedding Requirements

Mark Frewing-Jones

Time of past OR future Camino
Nil planning to walk Inglis Camino
As a general rule do we supply our own bedding for the hostel accommodation i.e. a sleeping bag?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes. As a general rule, you cannot sleep directly on the mattress. A sleep sack is lighter than a sleeping bag in warmer weather.

Yes. Some but not all albergues have blankets. Not necessarily enough for everyone though. Depends on your route, time of year and your own sensitivity to heat/cold what you decide to carry. For the Camino Ingles in summer you might find a silk sleeping bag liner is enough.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I take a really thin sleeping sack, weighs nothing, and although not all albergues have blankets most of the ones I've stayed at do. If you're going anytime outside of July and August though you'll need a sleeping bag.

Roncesvalles doesn't have blankets and gets cold at night and I slept in the sack, my clean towel and wore my jumper (take one item of warm clothing) to bed. Anything to avoid bag weight!

As a general rule do we supply our own bedding for the hostel accommodation i.e. a sleeping bag?
Bring a sleeping bag. If it's very warm sleep on top of it. If it is cold, sleep inside of it. There is no bedding at all in some albergues. Be prepared to take care of yourself.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, what kind of sleeping bag (just a sil liner or a full sleeping bag) to bring depends also on the time of the year you plan to walk. I personally err on the side of caution and always bring at least a lightweight summer sleeping bag. Not all albergues have blankets and not all blankets get washed regularly. On the other hand, if you plan to stay only in pensions/hotels then you don't need a sleeping bag. Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum