• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bug research article

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025

I found this older (2013) scientific article today about bed bugs. It is testing a permethrin impregnated product for a few different things, like killing the bugs and also repelling them and keeping them from feeding.

All bed bugs are not alike it seems. While the fabric with the permethrin stopped some bugs, it didn't other populations. Some were more resistant than others and fed anyway which is what I had always understood from my hospitalera training can happen.

Super interesting about the various populations of bugs tested and how they were farmed in the lab. Apparently "wild bugs" were harder to raise because they either didn't like the lab food or didn't know how to access it or something.

Anyway, I will continue not to use permethrin on my bedding and just expose bed bugs to extreme heat if exposed. I don't want to contribute to a population of resistant bugs. I'll also continue to be vigilant as a hospitalera to try to keep them out of the dorms.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I found this older (2013) scientific article today about bed bugs. It is testing a permethrin impregnated product for a few different things, like killing the bugs and also repelling them and keeping them from feeding.

All bed bugs are not alike it seems. While the fabric with the permethrin stopped some bugs, it didn't other populations. Some were more resistant than others and fed anyway which is what I had always understood from my hospitalera training can happen.

Super interesting about the various populations of bugs tested and how they were farmed in the lab. Apparently "wild bugs" were harder to raise because they either didn't like the lab food or didn't know how to access it or something.

Anyway, I will continue not to use permethrin on my bedding and just expose bed bugs to extreme heat if exposed. I don't want to contribute to a population of resistant bugs. I'll also continue to be vigilant as a hospitalera to try to keep them out of the dorms.
There has been discussion about this specific study and another on the same theme since at least Feb 2023. I posted about it here last year, and again earlier this year here and here.

I note with some concern that your interpretation of the results seems negative. For example, there were five bed bug populations tested. Only one was unaffected, and another was, perhaps, only marginally affected. The three other populations were affected. As the study stated
Bed bugs exposed to ActiveGuard fabric exhibited significant feeding disruption compared to those on blank fabric .., . For all five bed bug populations, significantly fewer bed bugs successfully fed to repletion through ActiveGuard fabric than through blank fabric ... .
I think your implied effectiveness standard that the bed bugs be 'stopped' is both vague and unrealistic. It has been clear from previous discussions on this that there is no magic bullet here that creates an impermeable protection system, at least in ordinary use of both insecticides and insect repellents.

My own view is that this article again demonstrates that permethrin treated equipment, particularly sleeping gear, offers greater protection from being bitten than the alternative of not treating anything. I would rather have that increased protection.

So permethrin may help pilgrims somewhat better follow the old night-time adage:

"Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just be careful with the application if you are not buying something already commercially treated. Follow the directions carefully. Once dry, the chemical it isn't harmful to people, but getting the solution on your skin or inhaling it while applying could be harmful (it is a hormone disrupting chemical). Don't apply it indoors and keep it away from pets (especially cats). Treat the clothing while you are not wearing it. (It isn't like spraying some mosquito repellant on your arms or legs.) It will wash out of your clothing so check the label to see how many washes to maintain effectiveness.

Just be careful with the application if you are not buying something already commercially treated. Follow the directions carefully. Once dry, the chemical it isn't harmful to people, but getting the solution on your skin or inhaling it while applying could be harmful (it is a hormone disrupting chemical). Don't apply it indoors and keep it away from pets (especially cats). Treat the clothing while you are not wearing it. (It isn't like spraying some mosquito repellant on your arms or legs.) It will wash out of your clothing so check the label to see how many washes to maintain effectiveness.
Some good advice here for those thinking of using one of the spray packs. I use a soak in preparation, which I do inside and then dry the treated garments, etc outside. Otherwise, the other precautions are the same.

Soak in treatments will last longer than sprays when laundered, but I don't have typical values for that. I know that when I was looking into this, that things like treated sleeping equipment, packs, etc would remain effective for even a longer camino, irrespective of whether a spray or soak in treatment was applied,

In the military spray treatments were used with a "garden sprayer " in my unit. Several uniforms could be treated at one time. Mostly this was for tick and mosquito protection which carried disease and not for bedbugs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I do not use Permethrin on my clothing in general on most Caminos. I use the spray outdoors only; on my mattress sheet, the outside of my sleeping bag, and my backpack both inside and out. I do not spray my pillowcase. I have been pleasantly surprised that it has absolutely no odor when dry.

I do not use Permethrin on my clothing in general on mos Caminos.
I have treated clothing for other travel where mosquitoes or ticks might be an issue. I don't see the point on the Camino, where I want protection against bed bugs. There is little protection against these night time visitors in treated day-time clothing, unless one is going to wear one's day-time clothing to bed every night.

I know that some get concerned about ticks. I wouldn't want to underplay that, but it appears to me to be a relatively low risk on the Camino routes that I have walked, and I don't treat my day-time clothing.

Last edited:
I'm spraying my pack and the outside of my sleeping bag today with Sawyer's Permethrin.
I use it every year and so far (knock on wood) I've been lucky except for my very first Camino when I did not spray. That year I was bitten once, on the neck. I thought it was a spider bite and didn't realize it was a bedbug until much later, when people were eaten alive in Hornillos. I have MCS and i'm super sensitive to fragrances and complex chemicals. Sawyers leaves no odor at all that I can determine, once dry, where Febreze and Fabuloso will put me down with a migraine and joint aches for days!

I'll continue to use it. In fact, I'm spraying everything down today as i leave on Tuesday for Madrid. Fingers crossed it will do its job.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.