• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beds at monestaries / churches / cathedrals?

Liaane de Witt

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to do Camino Portuguese in May 1014
Hi

A friend of mine indicated that her group of pilgrims did the Camino from Madrid to Santiago a few times and stays mostly at monestaries, even in Santiago. Does anyone know if this is possible on the Portuguese camino between Oporto and Santiago? Who to contact or where to find a contact list? Doing it from mid May 2014.

Regards

Liaane

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi

A friend of mine indicated that her group of pilgrims did the Camino from Madrid to Santiago a few times and stays mostly at monestaries, even in Santiago. Does anyone know if this is possible on the Portuguese camino between Oporto and Santiago? Who to contact or where to find a contact list? Doing it from mid May 2014.

Regards

Liaane

Hi Liaane.
I did try to find information for you but was coming up empty. There is a monastery in Oporto but it's a national monument only. No accommodation.
Hope you find what you need.
Buen Camino!

Hi

Regards

Liaane

The only monastery that I remember of sleeping at, was in Padrón. Beside that, you won't find anything. You will find some seminar's converted into Albergues (like Seminario Menor in Santiago), but beside that, there is nothing compared with what you described.

Best Regards
Diogo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The only monastery that I remember of sleeping at, was in Padrón. Beside that, you won't find anything. You will find some seminar's converted into Albergues (like Seminario Menor in Santiago), but beside that, there is nothing compared with what you described.

Best Regards
Diogo
Hi
Thanks.
Do you know where I can find the monastary in Padron or is it quite visable? Would love to sleep there. Regards

Hi Liaane.
I did try to find information for you but was coming up empty. There is a monastery in Oporto but it's a national monument only. No accommodation.
Hope you find what you need.
Buen Camino!

Thanks for your willingness to help. Regards

Hi
Thanks.
Do you know where I can find the monastary in Padron or is it quite visable? Would love to sleep there. Regards

It's quite visible, since it's located near/behind the church, and you have to pass ate least 50 meter's from it, because Padrón has a river, that devides the town in two. Just one thing: it's a coble monastery from the 12 or the 13th century, see if all Windows are closed, or you will catch some cold :D

Best Regards
Diogo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's quite visible, since it's located near/behind the church, and you have to pass ate least 50 meter's from it, because Padrón has a river, that devides the town in two. Just one thing: it's a coble monastery from the 12 or the 13th century, see if all Windows are closed, or you will catch some cold :D

Best Regards
Diogo
Have you been to the monastry in Herbón just before Padrón Diogo ?
We did not but it is mentioned several times at this forum so maybe Liaane is meaning this one.

Have you been to the monastry in Herbón just before Padrón Diogo ?
We did not but it is mentioned several times at this forum so maybe Liaane is meaning this one.

No, I did not. Beside Padrón, and Herbón, I don't think that you could find anything like that on the portuguese.

And in Herbón, for what I've seen, things are not working so well since the monks have left the monastery.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last I heard (Oct.) there still is a monk there. The Amigos of Galicia are keeping the albergue open.

Rebekah you're right, I stayed in Herbon late October of last year (a few days before they closed for the winter.) I didn't see the monk but we receieved the warmest of welcomes from the Galician Amigos and had a lovely dinner with them along with a German couple also staying the night. It's got excellent facilities, was scrupiously clean and a special place to stay before walking into Santiago the next day. I can't recommend it enough! It is donativo so the more pilgrims going there the more support they will receive to stay open :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back