• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Begging for money along the camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olygirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Jakobsweg Switzerland
I was chatting with a pilgrim who was sitting next to the entrance of St. Jean de Luz's church the other day, and asked him how long he had been walking. He said three and a half months. I was quite impressed until he asked me for some money.

Has this kind of begging become fashionable or is it a one off?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
He was German with a backpack and a shell. It didn't cross my mind that he may have been making up his story.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have never been asked for money on the Camino. I did notice a couple of people along the way selling beverages/snacks and asking for donations. I was happy to give the $, especially the couple that were at the start of the climb up O'Cebreiro! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Three and a half months on the camino, and asking for money? I'd be inclined to suggest to him that it was time to go home.
Tsk,tsk,tsk, Berlin to Saint Jean de Luz is roughly 2000 km, how long would you need to walk the distance, and that's only one way, not counting the way back, plus there's still the matter of going all the way from Saint Jean de Luz to Compostela and back. ;)

I experienced it first hand on the Frances last year and this year in Santiago, with pilgrims asking for money. Though considering the number of people walking the various caminos, i see it as the exception rather than the norm.

I had an interesting conversation about this last year on the Frances with some fellow pilgrims. For us it was a moral dilemma, as arguably these people weren't in dire need and could go home to find work I.e. They were not ill, starving etc. On the flip side everyone looks after everyone in the Camino, and I've been helped out many times. In both instances I gave money.

I think the very nature of us being on the Camino we tend to believe the stories. I'm sure there are genuine pilgrims out there that have fallen on hard times. I like to think that if I help someone I'm doing the right thing, sure I could be scammed more times then not, but that's life.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Although this wasn't begging we did encounter a couple helping fund their walk by cooking dinners in albergues for fellow pilgrims. They were asking for a tenner for three courses of fairly basic cooking if I remember correctly. It was by all accounts a very serious endeavour for them but I had some mixed feelings about it. I have no issues contributing to a communal dinner but I don't go on camino to fund others walks.

Met a few last year, chatted with some (i'm a sucker for a dog). Gave occasionally, same as i would at home. Sometimes i'd feel bad about not giving, but you can't help everyone. Santiago had most. Especially around the cathedral.
Top tip - if you want to ask me for money, don't do it when i'm eating, there's a chance we'll both end up angry.

Last year, I was walking the CF just short of Burgos when I was approached on the trail by a Pilgrim with a long story. He spoke English well, but with a strong and indistinct accent, and told me he was from Sweden. He had lost his money and cards, and was hoping I could help him out. Something about him screamed scammer, so I declined. That evening, I happened to meet up with another Swedish pilgrim in the Albergue, and asked him if he had run into that fellow. He laughed out loud and said he was a crook. "How are you so sure?" are asked him, because I was not that sure. "He didn't speak Swedish!" he laughed, and we had another beer.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Both beggers and scammers are part of the rich tradition of the Camino. The route was thick with them in medieval times.

Met an individual begging on the CF in Molinaseca in 2014. She was asking for money for food, so I took her to dinner. Turned out her story was true. All beggars might not be scammers, but buyer beware..........

Does it really matter if they are scammers or not?

What will cause you to lose more sleep? Not giving a few €, if that, to someone who really needs them (and then some while you are on a super cheep holiday) or being scammed out of them?

Because I don't think you will sleep outdoors, or stick to bread for dinner vs a pilgrim menu and bottle of red, because you've given a few €, if that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

What will cause you to lose more sleep? Not giving a few €, if that, to someone who really needs them (and then some while you are on a super cheep holiday) or being scammed out of them?

Because I don't think you will sleep outdoors, or stick to bread for dinner vs a pilgrim menu and bottle of red, because you've given a few €, if that.
Sorry if i've misunderstood you, but are you suggesting that walking the Camino Frances is a "super cheap holiday". It might be for you, but it certainly wasn't for me. I saved what i could from my low paid job for years, to be able to afford unpaid leave to go.
And saying "given a few €, if that" twice? You could just as well say "given a few €, or more"
So, some people don't like to feel they've given to scammers? Who does?

If you give money to beggars, it just fosters begging as a viable economic option. Here in London, I get approached by beggars several times a day - sometimes two or three on the train and a couple in the street, on my way to and from work. I never ever give money. I work with former homeless people and they support my stance on this. Indeed if I meet a particularly noteworthy scammer (like the guy who cuts his own arm every single day and pretends he needs taxi money to go to hospital), my colleagues will usually know them. Here in London we have a situation where all beggars are 'professionals', simply because the competition is such that if you don't have a good story, you won't get money. I participated in a thread on this topic before and got given a hard time initially, but I won't accept criticism from people who don't live in places where they get begged from every single day. Beggars and scam artists no doubt see pilgrims as a soft touch, and they are right. Living in a little bubble of small good deeds and niceness, makes it hard for the peregrino to say no to their demands, and they know it. Beggars are also often controlled by pimps who take nearly all their money - do you think the 'deaf and dumb' girls are free to stop begging and get a job? They are probably trafficked and controlled and the money goes to criminal gangs. So sorry to break your illusions of doing good deeds, or it not really mattering.

If someone is really in trouble, you can offer them practical help, like making phone calls or buying a sandwich. The career beggar won't be interested in this, and will make excuses and a sharp exit.

Last edited:
@notion900 , again I ask: does it matter?

So what if it " fosters befging as a viable option". I can think of many other ways we as "ordinary citizens" can conned while making others rich, others who are viewed by society as "upstanding citizens". Anyone remember all the pre-2008 banking decisons? Who paid? Who got scammed, and out of much more than 1€? Look at the 1% and how we made them that, buy litterally buying into their advertisong who made us believe we need the goods and services they sell...

Give or don't. Accept you may be getting scammed or not and don't give. But so much lost sleep over pennies none of us needs?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last year, my friend and I were getting close to the halfway point to Santiago from St. Jean, outside of a fairly bigger city (I forget the name, you all the know the place, right?), when we were approached by a girl who looked to be a bit older than us, and her boyfriend (who I thought was her father at first glance o_O). They were walking in the opposite direction of us, maybe doing reversio? I'm not sure, but they both had nicer looking equipment, and looked to be clean. They just asked for a couple of euros for food, so I said sure why not. I gave whatever I had in my pocket. We got to the actual halfway point, where people were talking and congratulating and all that, when we started talking with a few of our friends. Turns out, all of them gave a couple of euros separately as well. I guess they had a decent dinner that night, lol.

But, who knows? Maybe they really had lost their money, and were in some sticky situation. You never really know. If I can, and if I don't have to go digging for money, I'll give a few bucks. But I also feel like the CF is quickly becoming a tourist attraction :eek:. Beggars surround tourist attractions all over the world. I really hope that doesn't happen for this.

The best place for genuine cases would be the nearest social security office, one of the many associations that help the homeless.
There really is no place for begging nowadays and too many of those that follow this path are sheer lazy or out to defraud.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was chatting with a pilgrim who was sitting next to the entrance of St. Jean de Luz's church the other day, and asked him how long he had been walking. He said three and a half months. I was quite impressed until he asked me for some money.

I dont believe in mooching. I worked very hard for my sheckles and those who want money should work hard too. If they cant, there are many welfare programs that have been funded by money extracted at the point of a gun from me and other hard working people so the answer is NO. and if they tell a long story to make you think they are your friend i am offended by that tactic. it is very low.

If you give money to beggars, it just fosters begging as a viable economic option.

This is particularly true in Santiago. I have been there so many times that I recognise some of the professionals and they recognise me since I used to give them money. These people have not merely fallen on hard times, although perhaps that was originally their situation.

You see the same thing in Sydney where the same young man has been trying to get a bus fare to Melbourne for several years.

Tsk,tsk,tsk, Berlin to Saint Jean de Luz is roughly 2000 km, how long would you need to walk the distance, and that's only one way, not counting the way back, plus there's still the matter of going all the way from Saint Jean de Luz to Compostela and back. ;)
:confused: :D I take it that you are half-joking, but I have thought about your post, and have looked up the location of St. Jean de Luz and I still don't understand. The OP said the guy was German; she didn't say he had walked from Germany. I still think it was time he went home!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
:confused: :D I take it that you are half-joking, but I have thought about your post, and have looked up the location of St. Jean de Luz and I still don't understand. The OP said the guy was German; she didn't say he had walked from Germany. I still think it was time he went home!
Of course I was half joking: the joke is in the assumption that "a camino" is a month long enterprise at the most. We know next to nothing about the person! And, as a general comment, the OP asked whether such incidences - begging pilgrims or what looks like begging pilgrims - are common but many answers go into a very different direction.

I've not met begging pilgrims, or what looked like people dressed as pilgrims, but was surprised to see people sitting in church portals in France and asking visiting tourists as well as church goers for money. Since then, I've also seen it elsewhere. It struck me as something "new".

Social support in many countries is slowly being reduced over time and this causes people to seek out help and support from new sources. The Camino, for those close by, could be one of the places favoured for begging although I haven't seen very much of it to date.

My attitude is if you can and are happy to give them give.

If you really can't help then don't feel guilty.

But, if you won't help for a reason such as 'I don't support scammers' or 'I earned my money the hard way and I'm not going to hand it over to some lazy low-life' then you really haven't understood what the Camino and pilgrimage are all about and maybe you're in the wrong place and should go walk some place else.

Just my grumpy old man speaking but no apologies.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
He said he had walked from Hannover, Germany.

"There but for the grace of God, go I"
Without recourse to anecdote, but based on observing what happened to a close relative, I can assure you that the social security system here in the UK no longer deems it necessary to ensure that a person who has fallen into difficulties (even if they are the result of domestic violence) has a roof over their heads and money enough for food and electricity. We are not supposed to post messages that are political so will understand if the moderators feel this strays over the edge of what is allowed. But we have here a system of 'sanctioning' (or punishing by witholding payment) benefit claimants, this can be for 18 months or more when they are refused any money and the government (any government) does not give a damn if the person lives or dies and some have died. Watch Ken Loach's I, Daniel Blake, a real corrective to the usual pilgrim fare of The Way (which is one of my favourite films by the way). People who have worked from school-leaving age can, through circumstances beyond their control, find themselves in the direst of circumstances. They are not slackers, they are us with our opportunities, good fortune and health taken away. Charity, fellow pilgrims! Surely compassion is awaiting us in the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela and charity from others has been our experience along the way there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"We are not supposed to post messages that are political so will understand if the moderators feel this strays over the edge of what is allowed.
Post like yours and @notion900's but also others (and hopefully mine) should not be regarded as political because they inform about or are relevant for what we see - if we look - along the caminos/chemins to Compostela and foster mutual understanding among peoples; it's actually an aim of the Cultural Routes, an often ignored aspect of the modern Camino de Santiago. Unfortunately, posters frequently use the occasion to express their general political views, often sourced mainly from newspapers reports, with little effort to research actual facts or background. Pity.

Last edited:
Then the timeframe of 3 and a half months is entirely credible.

I agree. He also said he needed another 3.5 weeks to reach Santiago.

About two weeks ago, I read the following article on beg-packers; tourists begging for money to fund their travels. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4400790/Rise-Western-backpackers-begging-fund-trip.html

The article went right through my mind as soon as he asked for money. Please remember I was a tourist in St. Jean and not a pilgrim although eighteen of us (mostly Swiss) had walked the section between Pasaia and San Sebastian two days before and were very aware and in awe of the pilgrims we had talked to (who were mostly German speakers as well.)

€83,-
I don't know a lot about social security systems and the charity sectors in Spain and France but I, too, still cling on to the belief that nobody in these countries and surrounding countries needs to beg for money on the streets.

In St Quentin, I did not give anything at the church portal but dropped a larger than usual note into the collection box ... in Portiers it was one of the ladies in colourful long skirts sitting in the main entry to Notre Dame la Grande, there one is torn between the knowledge about criminal gangs & exploitation and the knowledge about the difficult socio-economic situation of many of the Roma people ... and in Bordeaux, not only around the cathedral but obviously also elsewhere in this large city. So, no begging pilgrims but what a pilgrim who does not need to beg for money experienced along the road.

PS: What shocked me the most was a small tent on the pavement right next to the Tour St Jacques in Paris. A barman at the café opposite told me about problems for people without fixed address in Paris. I learnt the French abbreviation SDF.

Last edited:
I don't know a lot about social security systems and the charity sectors in Spain and France

Social security and charity sectors are of little help to pilgrims, who are by definition transients in the localities that they walk through. Those services are typically only of help to the sedentary.

but I, too, still cling on to the belief that nobody in these countries and surrounding countries needs to beg for money on the streets.

This is a false impression, even disregarding the special circumstances of pilgrims, and the number of people forced into beggary of some sort or other (which does not exclude seeking help from food banks etc) has generally been rising throughout Western Europe as the ongoing financial crisis has deepened.

What's true is that it's very difficult to starve in these countries, including because of the fact that charities and social services and begging can prevent it.

Of course, it can be hard to distinguish between professional beggars and the genuinely or temporarily needy, though with some experience one can learn -- but again, these considerations are only partially relevant to some situations on the Camino.

But at least I think people would do well to understand the difference between a mendicant pilgrim and a beggar as such -- the beggar's purpose is either to provide himself with some income or to seek help in his need, whether the need is legitimate or otherwise (the desperate heroin addicts are usually easy to spot) ; the mendicant pilgrim's purpose is always and only his pilgrimage. http://denvercatholic.org/above-all-a-pilgrim/

In 2014 we were staying at the albergue in Ponferrada and there was an older very dirty man. The volunteer there told us that he lived on the camino. He was homeless and walked from albergue to albergue. We made dinner for him that night. --

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Another thought: I once was asked for money on a train going through Germany-- I think it was 1995. It was a young man explaining that he did not have enough money for a ticket for his dog, and his mother was going to pick him up at the next train stop. He needed about 15 marks. I told him I didn't have any money (I did.). I figured it was a scam, and by god, I wasn't about to be taken. The train pulled out of the station and I saw him standing there with his dog on the platform. I still feel badly about not giving him the money. So what if I had been taken? It was only a few marks. --

Just before Easter this year, I came out of a youth hostel in Toronto before dawn. Immediately a young man came up to ask me for money for breakfast. He must have been waiting for someone to come out the door. He said he needed money for breakfast-- just a few dollars. I told him I didn't have Canadian money, he replied that he'd take American. So, not knowing where to direct him to a free meal, I ended up giving him $20. He gave me all the canadian change he had (about three dollars) and asked if he could give me a hug. I declined the hug but wished him a Happy Easter. And we smiled at each other. - Maybe he spent the money on wine or drugs. I don't know. Maybe he bought breakfast. Maybe he had enough money to buy someone else breakfast. In giving, I am learning I have to give with an open hand. I hustled off to the bus stop, and prayed for him and his mother as I walked.

Last edited:
As to today's "mendicant pilgrims": I must admit that I am in more than two minds about people who choose to lead a poor person's or moneyless life for just a limited time. I can't push away the thought that this system depends on enough people being around who have money and goods and services to give away ... better not go there ;). I don't get the sin dinero philosophy.

Last edited:
About two weeks ago, I read the following article on beg-packers; tourists begging for money to fund their travels. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4400790/Rise-Western-backpackers-begging-fund-trip.html
I had to think of the same story. Here is another link:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/backpackers-begging-money-should-ashamed/

That is what the story of the German pilgrim sounds like. He has run out of money and doesn't want to go home to get back to work.

As to today's "mendicant pilgrims": I must admit that I am in more than two minds about people who choose to lead a poor person's or moneyless life for just a limited time.

This has nothing to do with it, and those who seek to live "as if they were penniless" despite the contents of their bank accounts aren't just lying to others, they're lying to themselves, and they're ruining their own pilgrimages.

A mendicant pilgrim won't ask for what he doesn't need.

That is what the story of the German pilgrim sounds like. He has run out of money and doesn't want to go home to get back to work.

So you're saying the Camino should be reserved for the wealthy and the employed ? This is the touristification of the Camino in a nutshell ...

There really is no place for begging nowadays.
Wanting to correct a perception that is common in our culture, that those who have fallen on hard times are 'lazy'...there but for the grace of god....
There are scammers and begpackers, to be sure. But not everyone falls into this category.
Edit--some people live outside the conventional box and are often punished as a result.

In giving, I am learning, I have to give with an open hand.
Generosity is a topic very close to my heart as my entire life is built around giving and receiving. A gift from the heart, and with no agenda as to how it is used is (for me anyway) a source of lightness and joy. But the wisdom of the gift is also important.
Not everyone is a scammer. And not everyone should be believed. Both. It's not black and white.
It takes discernment. I offer if it feels appropriate (often food), and understand that I have no control about what happens to my donation. And if I can't let go of that, it's my problem.

those who seek to live "as if they were penniless" despite the contents of their bank accounts aren't just lying to others, they're lying to themselves, and they're ruining their own pilgrimages.
A mendicant pilgrim won't ask for what he doesn't need.
Very true, JabbaPapa--but that's their problem and their karma, not anyone else's, yes? We can ignore them if we think they are fakes, after all.

Last edited:

€60,-
It's an interesting dilemma. Let's say the pilgrim story is true (which my gut instinct says it is) and that he has been, in fact, walking the camino for 3.5 months and needs money to complete the last 3.5 weeks of it. Is it morally correct of him to depend on others to fulfill his dream or should he return to Germany and go to work until he can afford to complete his journey? My moral barometer says he should return home because pilgrms shouldn't beg unless there are extenuating circumstances. To be honest, as a tourist, I had little pity for him but this is my own opinion.

A mendicant pilgrim
I understand - at least I think I understand - the concept of mendicant pilgrims in Buddhism / Asian traditions and cultures. I know a thing or two about mendicant pilgrims and mendicant missionaries and mendicant monks in the Middle Ages or earlier. I went back to the website quoted above and see that they have the following categories:
  • Mendicant pilgrims
  • Sabbaticant pilgrims
  • Companion pilgrims
I understand that some people have a need to sail the world, walk the world, camper-van the world for years or even forever. In the context of this thread and forum, I sometimes wonder: why the need for a pilgrimage to Compostela, why in or to Spain. Let's ignore the convenient infrastructure and its many attractive benefits for a moment. Pilgrimage now - not in the Middle Ages. I think I understand those pilgrimage periods better than today's. ;)

Last edited:
Social support in many countries is slowly being reduced over time and this causes people to seek out help and support from new sources. The Camino, for those close by, could be one of the places favoured for begging although I haven't seen very much of it to date.

My attitude is if you can and are happy to give them give.

If you really can't help then don't feel guilty.

But, if you won't help for a reason such as 'I don't support scammers' or 'I earned my money the hard way and I'm not going to hand it over to some lazy low-life' then you really haven't understood what the Camino and pilgrimage are all about and maybe you're in the wrong place and should go walk some place else.

Just my grumpy old man speaking but no apologies.
I had to think of the same story. Here is another link:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/backpackers-begging-money-should-ashamed/

looks like alot of important thoughts are coming from this begging question.
I believe that the most beautiful thing about freedom is the ability to do with the fruits of your labor how you choose. sometimes others will disagree with what you do and that is fine. I appreciate the nice forum to discuss this subject.
I think it is important, it can have ramifications if the wrong decision is made,but i believe individual charity is much better than standardization,even with its flaws. In other words each case is different and each person can assess how to handle that case, too much and a wave of beggars may show up,to tight and the love dries up. what a smarty i am, im just feeling bloggy today.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is it morally correct of him to depend on

Yes -- you're not much of a pilgrim if you let something so petty as some transient financial bother deter you from completion.

My moral barometer says he should return home because pilgrms shouldn't beg

Well, neither he nor anyone else has forced you to do anything you disagree with, and there's no reason at all to start judging and condemning him online.

And frankly, your idea that pilgrims whose actions disturb you should give up their Caminos and go home disturbs me.

To be honest, as a tourist, I had little pity for him but this is my own opinion.

Pilgrims are not, or at least should not be, tourists. Also, there is no reason at all why his choices should have to be obedient to your own personal moral ideology.

He said he had walked from Hannover, Germany.
I met the German from Hanover in Hontanas. He "said he was a pilgrim" and had walked from Germany 3 months before. Our group spent the evening drinking with him. We never saw him openly beg and he never asked us for anything but we did share our wine and he got the last empty bed for free at 9pm when it rained. One of our group spoke German and translated his story - it wasn't pleasant. He'd lost everything and just started walking. We never thought of him as a beggar. He might be a scammer but he was pleasant, and caused no trouble...unlike the scammers around Burgos Cathedral!!

It would take about 15 weeks which is 3 1/2 months

Although this wasn't begging we did encounter a couple helping fund their walk by cooking dinners in albergues for fellow pilgrims. They were asking for a tenner for three courses of fairly basic cooking if I remember correctly. It was by all accounts a very serious endeavour for them but I had some mixed feelings about it. I have no issues contributing to a communal dinner but I don't go on camino to fund others walks.
Yes, that's an interesting aspect. I guess it's all about trade-offs. We pay for and buy meals all the time at restaurants without blinking an eye, and considering that we're paying for someone's rent and living expenses.
I think if they're providing the food and preparing the meal, then paying them in exchange is a fair exchange of labour. It doesn't really matter what they're spending the money on...if they're done the work and I haven't....why not

Pilgrimage now - not in the Middle Ages. I think I understand those pilgrimage periods better than today's. ;)

There's no fundamental difference, not even in the way that the impoverished were regarded then compared to now.

The point here really is that none of this discussion is fundamentally even about money or lack thereof in the first place -- that was the topic of the conversation between the German pilgrim and the OP. Some here have expressed the opinion that material hardship should cause people to abandon their pilgrimages, whereas the German pilgrim and I think the exact opposite.

So the topic here is, yet again, what is a pilgrim ? I do not think that the answer to this question is to be looked for inside a wallet ...

€83,-
I've not met begging pilgrims, or what looked like people dressed as pilgrims, but was surprised to see people sitting in church portals in France and asking visiting tourists as well as church goers for money. Since then, I've also seen it elsewhere. It struck me as something "new".
Interesting you should mention that. I've just got back from 10 days in Florence. While there I went to Lucca for the day. At 2 churches there were elderly people standing at the church entrances asking for money. I did decline but donated instead to the church. Why is the question....force of habit? Finding people begging irksome? Prefer to donate to an organisation? I'm not sure but it still bothers me.

Thank you, Mckarash, for your feedback. It certainly offers another facet to the story.
JabbaPapa: I have not attempted to persuade anyone to feel the same way I do and am trying to understand the different issues of pilgrms on their camino. I am not condemning anyone and respect the man's wishes to carry on walking. First impressions can only change when we discover more to the story or look at it through other eyes.

I was once in Russia, being shown around by a lovely Russian lady. We passed beggars on the steps leading up to a church. She dropped a few small coins into their laps. I gave them nothing. Later I queried this with her, saying I had heard all about "beggars" who, at the end of the day, went back to their hidden cars, and drove home. She looked at me and sad "Do you really think those beggars are as well off as you?" I admitted this was very unlikely. "Then can you not afford to drop a few copper coins into their cups?" she asked. I felt humbled. I know I am supposed to "....give to the poor...." .
They were all much poorer than me. Now I give a small donation to most who approach and ask - "just a few copper coins".
Maybe I am right. Maybe I am wrong.
I simply pray that I never have to beg.
We each decide for ourselves.
Blessings and buen camino a todos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a different view of beggars and homeless. Due to a string of mishaps and cockups I was stranded, broke and homeless in Bangor Maine USA a few years back. I've always worked, and have a comfortable life, but I was forced to live in a homeless shelter for 2 weeks waiting for paperwork / visas to get back to the UK. The local homeless took me in, shared all they had and we became friends. Yes, some were scammers but they still shared their gains with all the local homeless and myself. I walked the streets with them and saw how the public reacted to them. I never want to be that kind of public.
The Camino is not exclusive.

Here's my two cents, which byntje way is probably not worrh that much.
Anyway, I survived on the streets as a busker (street musician) for a long time. I was good, very good and I made bank. But it is haaard work people. I learned that there is a skill and an art to it. I had about .5 seconds to get your attention. If we made eye contact, I made money. I also flat out begged, usually when I was too stoned or hungover to play my guitar. Yeah, there is more to this story. Fast forward 25 years. I've cleaned up MY act. When and if I play in public now, I do it for free. I walked with a ukulele my last camino, it was awesome!
The point for me is. I don't make jugements. It's not for me to guage who is truth twlling, who is bullshitting and who is a drunk or a junkie supporting a habit. Sometimes I give money, sometimes food. Sometimes recognition. Sometimes I give nothing. But I observe my own response and reaction. Jugement is not what God wants of me. Compassion is what we are called to offer. And that is my measuring stick of how I'm doing today.
Adelante!

Having spent a fair bit if my life in the third world, I've witnessed some of the ugly side of begging. The mild stuff is the people abandoning their farms because they do better begging. The horrible stuff is kids being sent to professional cripple makers to break limbs and set them at grotesque angles so that they attract extra pity.

I doubt the true ugly side of begging has much to do with the camino. I just want to point out to this well travelled group the dangers of taking home values to other countries and cultures. Begging is a different game where ever you roam.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree. He also said he needed another 3.5 weeks to reach Santiago.

The article went right through my mind as soon as he asked for money. Please remember I was a tourist in St. Jean and not a pilgrim although eighteen of us (mostly Swiss) had walked the section between Pasaia and San Sebastian two days before and were very aware and in awe of the pilgrims we had talked to (who were mostly German speakers as well.)

I would point out that the Daily Bile (as it is fondly know) is hardly a picture of Christian rectitude - be sceptical about half of what it says and ignore the rest!

I went to sleep last night after reading the post that starts with "I don't believe in smooching", thinking I should keep calm and not respond to such comments. And I woke up to so many posts of compassion and shared stories from some who have lived through difficult times. I am so greatful for these.

I could not help but think of my mother's work as a phychologist in the social welfare system here at home, working in a center for little girls 6-12 eiter abandonned by their parents (if they were lucky is my take) or taken from their homes by the State because of lack of any sort of decent parenting, if not because of terrible abuse.

What happens to these children when they "age out" of the system at 18? The street. Or prostitution. How many of us here would have been able to lead productive lives on our on at 18, even with solid parenting before that?

Illness, physical or mental, a divorce, running away from a bad situation, addiction (illness again), and yes, perhaps bad jugement as a point in life, can all lead people to the street. But how many of us have said when we were children and asked what we wanted to ne when we grew up that we wanted to be begging and scheaming for living, on the streets, rain or shine, smelling, with people ignoring us or looking down at us?

Again, how important is it that you may have been conned out of a few € you don't need?

I met the German from Hanover in Hontanas. He "said he was a pilgrim" and had walked from Germany 3 months before........his story .....wasn't pleasant. He'd lost everything and just started walking.
Thank you for this. It is the first evidence on this thread that our German was indeed 'a pilgrim' and not someone walking a pilgrimage route, on holiday, and expecting others to fund it for him. I can fully understand that, being beset with difficulties - you said he'd lost everything - he felt the need to walk; I've been there myself - beset with difficulties not of a financial nature - and guess I was fortunate enough that I was able to pay my own way on the camino. Indeed, there but for the grace of God...

€60,-
I survived on the streets as a busker (street musician) for a long time. I was good, very good and I made bank. But it is haaard work people.
A decade ago the Washington Post conducted an experiment. They had Joshua Bell, one of the world's best musicians stand outside a subway station incognito in street clothes playing for 43 minutes six pieces of the world's most beautiful and difficult to play music on his Stradivarius violin worth perhaps 3 million dollars and made when Stradivarius was in his prime and had access to the best materials. The post counted 1,097 people go by. The violin case was open for donations. Discounting the contribution of one woman who came late and recognized him, Bell, who can get paid $1,000 a minute for his performances, made $32.17.

The somewhat long article written about this experiment is at https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...6d46da-4331-11e4-b47c-f5889e061e5f_story.html There are gems buried in the piece.

I just want to point out to this well travelled group the dangers of taking home values to other countries and cultures. Begging is a different game where ever you roam.
That's why i try to stick to Spain, France and surrounding countries and experience around camino trails and not dwell on what I saw, learnt from locals or how I reacted in Morocco, New York, India, Jordan and Nepal.

Actually, dropping a few copper coins into a hat or small basket is easy. Easier than engaging with the person beyond a furtive eye contact and a quick smile and a nod ... at least in my experience and to my knowledge. Not to mention engaging in lasting general change.

Last edited:
I have run into pilgrims doing the Camino sin dinero to make a point, sometimes humbly, and sometimes with an arrogance which annoys me; and pilgrims doing so because they just didn't have the money. I'm usually a soft touch and can afford a few coins so, unless the beggar is being aggressive, I'm ready to be be helpful. As far as begging generally goes, I recall asking an ancient clerical friend who had urban experience and he said to follow your antennae and try to be helpful; there are those for whom your dollar or two makes a difference from pulling the trick that might kill them, or not, and if it's the latter, it really didn't hurt me. As well, a former colleague of mine, in the days when drugs kept her in a very dark space, told me that the money was never important to her when she was begging, but what hurt her was when people ignored her. She said that there were days when a friendly smile kept her going.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So you're saying the Camino should be reserved for the wealthy and the employed ? This is the touristification of the Camino in a nutshell ...
That is not what I am saying. The man has had a pilgrimage of 3,5 months. Lots of people have to save money for years and are happy if they manage to find 4 weeks to walk. They don't let others pay for their Camino.

If you give money to beggars, it just fosters begging as a viable economic option. Here in London, I get approached by beggars several times a day - sometimes two or three on the train and a couple in the street, on my way to and from work. I never ever give money. I work with former homeless people and they support my stance on this. Indeed if I meet a particularly noteworthy scammer (like the guy who cuts his own arm every single day and pretends he needs taxi money to go to hospital), my colleagues will usually know them. Here in London we have a situation where all beggars are 'professionals', simply because the competition is such that if you don't have a good story, you won't get money. I participated in a thread on this topic before and got given a hard time initially, but I won't accept criticism from people who don't live in places where they get begged from every single day. Beggars and scam artists no doubt see pilgrims as a soft touch, and they are right. Living in a little bubble of small good deeds and niceness, makes it hard for the peregrino to say no to their demands, and they know it. Beggars are also often controlled by pimps who take nearly all their money - do you think the 'deaf and dumb' girls are free to stop begging and get a job? They are probably trafficked and controlled and the money goes to criminal gangs. So sorry to break your illusions of doing good deeds, or it not really mattering.

If someone is really in trouble, you can offer them practical help, like making phone calls or buying a sandwich. The career beggar won't be interested in this, and will make excuses and a sharp exit.

Well said. I live in the Washington, DC area and when I lived in the city, begging was ubiquitous. I rarely give money to beggars, exactly for the reasons you've stated. Our area has enormous resources for the truly needy, and I prefer to donate to worthy charities and do some volunteering work rather than unwittingly funding someone's habit. It's hard sometimes, but as you suggest, you're not helping by enabling professional cheats.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
looks like alot of important thoughts are coming from this begging question.
I believe that the most beautiful thing about freedom is the ability to do with the fruits of your labor how you choose. sometimes others will disagree with what you do and that is fine. I appreciate the nice forum to discuss this subject.
I think it is important, it can have ramifications if the wrong decision is made,but i believe individual charity is much better than standardization,even with its flaws. In other words each case is different and each person can assess how to handle that case, too much and a wave of beggars may show up,to tight and the love dries up. what a smarty i am, im just feeling bloggy today.

I agree, you mentioned in an earlier post about money being extracted at the end of a gun. That's exactly my point, too. It's one thing to allow individuals to make their own minds up about whether to donate to beggars, real or fake. But often that spirit of altruism gets translated into laws that require me and everyone else to pay taxes to people who claim they're in need, whether that's true or not. At the end of the day, I'll probably feel better if I give to others even when I'm unsure if they need the money, but it should always be a freely made choice, not an obligatory one.

This discussion made me thinking. There is (and has been) a lot to say about this and it isn't just black and white.

Of course I don't know the whole story of this German guy. But Germany probably has one of the best welfare systems in the world. So if he (for whatever reason) isn't able to work or can't find a job, there is a system that all taxpayers are providing together to help. By staying on the Camino, he chooses to make other individuals responsible for his survival. And if I don't want that responsibility, I feel like I lack generosity. I guess that is what's bothering me.

€60,-
Well said. I live in the Washington, DC area and when I lived in the city, begging was ubiquitous. I rarely give money to beggars, exactly for the reasons you've stated. Our area has enormous resources for the truly needy, and I prefer to donate to worthy charities and do some volunteering work rather than unwittingly funding someone's habit. It's hard sometimes, but as you suggest, you're not helping by enabling professional cheats.

I too prefer to give to the charities, but whether we give or not - I think we can acknowledge the person as a individual, greet them and answer them. Just like we would anyone else who takes us out of our day, to ask for the direction or the time. Maybe this thread, is just a conversation to make us more aware in our daily lives. :)

I too prefer to give to the charities, but whether we give or not - I think we can acknowledge the person as a individual, greet them and answer them. Just like we would anyone else who takes us out of our day, to ask for the direction or the time. Maybe this thread, is just a conversation to make us more aware in our daily lives. :)
Indeed, a smile or a kind word costs $.0. :)

Germany probably has one of the best welfare systems in the world. So if he ...
Let us not go there ... I'm already so proud of myself that I did not react in any shape or form to an earlier unveiled reference to the current socio-political situation in Germany, and now we are on the verge of entering the frightening arena of discussing US politics. Don't you feel the breath of the moderators in your necks?

I noticed with some amusement that we are discussing an encounter between a German and a Swiss in France on the way to Spain - yes, we are all humans and striving for world peace and love and happiness for all but it is influenced by our cultural background ... can we turn to the Middle Ages perhaps? There, charity was not only driven by practical interpretation of how to love your Christian neighbor, it was also driven by the mighty fear of what was waiting for you in the afterlife. The bridges, roads and hospitals-hotels-albergues with free food, accommodation and health care were not only built out of love for pilgrims, or political reasons, they were also motivated by the guarantee of less suffering later on as compensation for earthly expenses. Largely gone now. Today, we have obligatory taxes as well as tax breaks for voluntary contributions to charity funds.

Last edited:
Really , If one is so disturbed and shocked at being ASKED for money , you must have been seriously privileged throughout your life. I see no crime in begging. I have been helped on the Camino myself and believe you me when times have been good I have gone out of my way to share. This is not the first thread on this matter . You may certainly approach me when you are in need on the Camino and if I have cash to share you are more than welcome. So what if the person goes off and buys a pilgrims menu with a bottle of wine .... As one of our forum members wrote a while back ... " So what if the beggar heads straight off to buy wine , thats the first thing that I am going to do at the end of my day." I cannot believe that one could need counseling after such a ' Horrific Experience?" Whenever there has been someone in my company on the Camino that 'has no money' I give the pilgrims menu a miss and with the same cash shop for dinner and cook and drink cheap wine with someone that is in need - no pilgrim will go hungry on my watch ........I found the real Camino a long time ago ......the true Camino.

I keep a ziplock bag filled with spare change on the table where I get ready in the morning. When I get dressed, I pull a handful of change out of the bag and stick it in my pocket. When someone asks me if I have any spare change, I pull some of the change out of my pocket and give it to them.

We didn't come across any beggars on the Camino, just givers. It was a gift to be the recipients of so much kindness.

Before walking the Camino, I would not have thought to intentionally fill my pockets before I left the house just in case I came across someone in need of spare change. It really is a life-changing experience.

I think the German pilgrim has given us a gift as well.
Buen Camino.

I keep a ziplock bag filled with spare change on the table where I get ready in the morning. When I get dressed, I pull a handful of change out of the bag and stick it in my pocket. When someone asks me if I have any spare change, I pull some of the change out of my pocket and give it to them.

We didn't come across any beggars on the Camino, just givers. It was a gift to be the recipients of so much kindness.

Before walking the Camino, I would not have thought to intentionally fill my pockets before I left the house just in case I came across someone in need of spare change. It really is a life-changing experience.

I think the German pilgrim has given us a gift as well.
Buen Camino.

This reminds me of a quote we hear often at the National Cathedral:

Life is short, and we do not have much time to gladden the hearts of those who journey the way with us. So be swift to love, and make haste to be kind.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bit isn't that the point? That no "evidence" should be needed for someone to show a bit of empathy and generosity?
Definitely, up to a point. And everyone needs to decide for himself where that point lies. I recall giving with empathy and generosity to beggars on the way to Santiago whom I now believe were frauds. That does not bother me as I was, and still am, happy to give back a little of what I received. That does not mean that I am going to accept, unquestioningly, every story that I hear from someone asking for a hand out.

I don't offer anything (anymore) to the 'deaf ' girls, knowing now that this is a scam. Once was fine, thanks.
But even though I've been scammed, I'd rather err on the side of giving if I'm not so sure. It's not a million Euros, after all. People are very generous to me and it's my joy to keep that energy going rather than holding a tight fist around what is 'mine,' if I have enough.
Love, kindness, and respect belong to all of us.

I never give money for a whole load of reasons. Last year gave a meal to a lady and her dog outside a supermarket along the Francis - cant remember which town now. She was grateful, the dog was disinterested, I was happy - so all round a good result ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back