• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beginning Camino Norte 8/9 as woman traveling alone.

Risa Robertson

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the norte August- Sept 2015
Hi there,
I am delighted to join this forum and preparing for my journey ON EL CAMINO NORTE to begin on 8/9. Would love to connect with safe and sane people. I don't drink and would love to connect with warm-blooded mammalia, fun-lovers, and/or friends of Bill along the way,

Also any tips for safety, great places to stop along the way that aren't well-known, shortcuts, sections to savor, etc.

Look forward to meeting you along the way!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Risa, I've PM'd you.

Places to stop: I wouldn't miss the Navarra Museum in Pamplona. I would see the Cathedrals in Burgos and Leon. I would visit the museum in Leon. I would stay an extra night to see the Museum of Evolution in Burgos and take the bus out to the dig site, if you are interested in Archaeology. I would be sure to see the Gaudi Bishop's Palace in Astorga and even though it's funky, I'd visit the Museum of Chocolate in Astorga just to see the old movie on chocolate making. If possible, I wouldn't miss San Anton or San Nicholas or San Bol. I'd spend an extra night or two in Santiago and see all the tourist sites there. I'd find 3 pilgrims to share a taxi and go to both Finisterre and Muxia for the day.

Safety: Use common sense. Don't walk with earphone in your ears.

Tips: BE PRESENT. You're going to be in a new place. Enjoy every moment. Try new foods! Be open to new experiences. TAKE EARPLUGS. Get a private room now and then to rejuvenate. For what you pay for an albergue, you could find a friend and rent a private double for the night. Stay in the parochials whenever possible.

Last edited:
Hi! Thank you so much for the reply. I am walking el Norte route, not the Frances, so am asking specifically for info along that route, in addition to general safety recommendations.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there,
I am delighted to join this forum and preparing for my journey ON EL CAMINO NORTE to begin on 8/9. Would love to connect with safe and sane people. I don't drink and would love to connect with warm-blooded mammalia, fun-lovers, and/or friends of Bill along the way,

Also any tips for safety, great places to stop along the way that aren't well-known, shortcuts, sections to savor, etc.

Look forward to meeting you along the way!
Arghhhhhh! I'm a month behind you and on the wrong trail - and not too sure about the sane part - but I'm doing a sober pilgrimage too and am glad that they put out water along with the wine on the tables - sounds like there's alot of drinking. Maybe you know Spanish - I'm practicing saying "Agua con Gaz, por favor".

Drinking alcohol is always optional on the Camino, water is not! You will find plenty of people who will chose water with their Menu del Dia. And the freshly squeezed orange juice, although expensive, is delicious. I loved the Norte btw. Great choice.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.