A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Best camino 'come back' (retort)

Camino(s) past & future
St.Jean-Santiago (2017)
Interesting distinction between tourist and pilgrim.
Perhaps if the question is asked, it is not really an alburgue but a hostel. The definitions I see online don't seem to be that specific.

In any case, pilgrim, tourist, Knight Errant, lost wandering soul, whatever ones self perception, I don't see it as entitlement to special consideration.

In medieval (pre-internet) times a benevolent but fully booked innkeeper might offer their stable to sleep with the horses. Along with all of the modern conveniences, today's traveler needs to accommodate today's business models.

Veteran Member
I agree with the general principle, but...
Actually, in France reserving is customary. There are little albergues, sometimes with only 6-8 beds. And the regulations are strictly enforced ("la loi c'est la loi"), so no people sleeping on the floor or in the attic. If you arrive without reservation, and the albergue is full, the hospi will have a difficult situation, start making calls to find you an accomodation, etc.

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Portugues 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
"Bienvenidos. Do you have a reservation?"

"Uh... No... I'm not a tourist. I'm a pilgrim."
Good luck trying that one at the moment in Santiago! The albergues are full, so as a pilgrim without reservation you might end up with a very traditional sleeping place - under the stars ;)

Buen Camino, SY

J Willhaus

Camino(s) past & future
24 May 2016- 14 July
Hospitalero, Zamora Dec 15-31, 2017
I think we witnessed it both ways. In some places no reservations are allowed and the pilgrim must have a credential to stay. Other places it was made somewhat clear to us that Pilgrims were not very welcome.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis
Camino Norte
May-July (2017)
Siljansleden (2018)
A few days ago I arrived at a pension that was completely shut down. One shirtless guy came out from who knows where and started waving his arms at me as I walked closer. Then started yelling in Spanish "closed closed closed"...I yelled back in Spanish "for me you better open up then...I have a reservation". He laughed and said oh yeah. He explained that they don't open till the busy season next week but somehow they took my reservation. This happened to me 3 times. Had the entire place to myself...downside was no hot water...but I had an ocean view that night and slept to the sound of waves instead of snoring.

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • March

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • April

Votes: 58 17.7%
  • May

Votes: 79 24.2%
  • June